I think I`m building a synthesizer.

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Val
Wiggling with Experience

Re: I think I`m building a synthesizer.

Post by Val » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:16 am

Hello, nice project.
Since I'm doing about the same, case / furniture with power supply, here's my advice:

It will take time, be patient

I chose L-1 synth power supplies; comes as a full kit (DIY) or fully built and calibrated. As you want.

For the case, you could use 5 wood panels of your choice and glue / screw them or make something way more complex / sophisticated. Keep in mind woodworking is a job by itself, it's not easy to assemble, it's organic material, not very easy to work with. It's more difficult than metal i think. You could ask some local woodworker to build it. If you're not much confident let someone who is do it for you. Just do you measurements properly and draw a plan

most importantly: have fun
WTB: XAOC: Batumi + Poti
DIY kits (panel+pcb): Haible Tau phaser, NTO, DUSG, VCFQ
DOEPFER: A-151, A-166, A-160-2, A-185-2, A-156, A-135-1, A-138m, A-184-1, A-141-2, A-110-6

cretaceousear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cretaceousear » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:36 am

Yeah I also like plywood - if you do butt joins with a good varnish you can get really nice striped edges. Add metal reinforced corners for design detail and protection.
A nice finish for wood is to use "button polish" - you put it on a bit like french polishing but it's not difficult and gives a finish with a bit of a protective coat, halfway between matt and gloss.
I like to think I'm ok at woodwork but getting square and beautiful clean corners is a job for a skilled person. Or a cutting bench and circular saw.
As everyone else said, wood from the big DIY stores is unstable.
There's a top class hardwood joiner in Hampton Hill, London who supply and cut, they're out there!
In turn there is scare mongering, common sense, complete absurdity, rationalism and nihilism.

m0n0mania
Wiggling with Experience

Post by m0n0mania » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:06 pm

I've made half a dozen 5u cabs using cheap Wickes timber sides, https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Treated ... m/p/166438
and plywood backs. Leaves more money for modules that way.

And angle clamps are a big help too
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2027401 ... hweb201603_

That's them under the kitty in my profile pic, blackboard paint finish, hides all the filler, don't get upset about scuffs.
Last edited by m0n0mania on Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:09 pm

Katherine Alicia wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:47 am
So... it looks like I`m building a synthesizer! :hmm: LOL
I'm super happy for you ..... although, you do realize there is no twelve step recovery program ... ;)
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (presented for your entertainment) https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

Never Quit, Die Falling Forward.

Katherine Alicia
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Katherine Alicia » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:32 am

Well the first few bits for making my new synth have arrived! :banana:

It`s a lot wider than I thought, but a quick go with the tape measure and I think a 2m length of wood should cover it nicely. I can`t wait until my second covid shot`s fully active so I can go propper shopping. For now I`m going to try put these M3 square nuts in the rails so I don`t lose them! LOL
*Peace, Love, Unity, Respect*
https://www.youtube.com/KatherineAlicia

SkyWriter
Ultra Wiggler

Post by SkyWriter » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:36 am

"Proper shopping" - :lol: now that's a bit that's been missing from my life lately.

I prefer slip nuts. Yes it's a pain allocating them in advance, but I love the snug fit.
say it with NROFF.

Katherine Alicia
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Katherine Alicia » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:20 am

Eek! :eek: I`v hit a technical hitch, the M3 nuts don`t fit in the rails! I even took out a couple of spares that came with my `Go` case and they don`t fit either.
The guy I bought them from recons they originally came from https://synthracks.com/ so i`v ordered a couple of threaded inserts from them that hopefully should fit. if not then this whole project`s a bust, I simply don`t have to cash to keep buying stuff hoping it`ll fit. :roll:

SkyWriter
Ultra Wiggler

Post by SkyWriter » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:38 am

I kept ordering the wrong screws for my Go cases. Par for the course!
say it with NROFF.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:48 pm

The threaded nut strips should fit perfectly. It is much easier to find M2.5 sliding nuts that fit your rails. I like strips.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:58 pm

Non-lipped rails use 4-40 or M2.5 nuts. 4-40 is traditionally used for this type of rack rail in the USA.
Lipped rails use M3.

Both -all three- have become common in synths since 1U tiles were introduced. The differences existed well before this, but didn't seem to be as prevalent in modular synths as a problem based on posts like the one in this thread not really happening until shortly after the 1U Tiles were being sold.

Comes into play with IJ vs Original 1U Tiles too.

Katherine Alicia
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Katherine Alicia » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:38 am

Ok, some Good news at last, the 84hp threaded inserts I bought fit perfectly! so I`v just bought 6 more to finish the job now I know that they`ll fit.
I`ll still have to cut up some of the strips because they only had 84hp in, and these rails are 114hp, but I don`t care, at least it`s going to work! :tu:

ShedSynth
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ShedSynth » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:48 am

Katherine Alicia wrote:
I`m pretty sure I can do the Power electronics for inside the case, and I have tons of really long Veroboard strips and 16 way female PCB mount connectors,
Hi, did you mean male PCB mount connectors?

A quick thought:
As you're using Veroboard for the backplanes, you could put a trio of 7812, 7912 and 7805 voltage regulators on each separate board and power all of them from a single -15V 0V +15V supply.
I found (here) that putting the voltage regulators right on the backplane reduced source resistance to the modules (compared to my original homebrewed external PSU), so less voltage variation as current draw varies.
You might also put your sensitive VCOs on a different row from noisy modules.

Katherine Alicia wrote:
I think I want a handle on the top as well like on my Marshall amp
Oh yes you absolutely definitely need a handle on the the top, as Marshall as possible.
SHEDSYNTH - home-knitted eurorack

MikeDB
Ultra Wiggler

Post by MikeDB » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:40 am

ShedSynth wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:48 am
Katherine Alicia wrote:
Oh yes you absolutely definitely need a handle on the the top, as Marshall as possible.
Maybe for looks, but if you're actually trying to move it a pair of handles on one side and four castors on the other is a lot more useful :-)
Always interested in innovative audio startups needing help and investment, just PM me.

ShedSynth
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ShedSynth » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:47 am

MikeDB wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:40 am
ShedSynth wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:48 am
Katherine Alicia wrote:
Maybe for looks, but if you're actually trying to move it a pair of handles on one side and four castors on the other is a lot more useful :-)
SHEDSYNTH - home-knitted eurorack

MikeDB
Ultra Wiggler

Post by MikeDB » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:45 pm

Yeah those were the days ... when you could get all a band's equipment into just three artics :-)

I remember Bob Harris sitting there glumly introducing that show which apparently his producer had almost to order him to do as he and John Peel vied for leadership of the "we hate ELP (and Alan Freeman)" brigade in the BBC.
Always interested in innovative audio startups needing help and investment, just PM me.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”