Voting open for your top 3 tracks in our Odd Meter Remix/ReMangle/Reimagine Challenge

Prizes generously donated by:
ADDAC System (Eurorack 3U)
Endorphin.es (Eurorack 3U)
Fred's Lab (DIY Paraphonic Synth)
Northern Light Modular (Buchla-format h-series OR Eurorack3U)
Rattly and Raw (Wiggler Approved Kontakt Instrument)
Studio.h (Buchla-format 4U)

Get your vote on and free 42 minute modular playlist for your listening pleasure.

OPERA ROTAS, a DIY mutant drum machine BUILD THREAD

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Habbin
1-Post Wiggler

Re: OPERA ROTAS, a DIY mutant drum machine BUILD THREAD

Post by Habbin » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:29 pm

Raub78 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:19 pm
I just followed the directions on GitHub to update the firmware to 1.3 on my 0.9 board.
After I flashed the firmware, said it was successful…
After I plugged it in to power I noticed that it isn’t working…
No screen no nothing just the green flash and red, then solid red….
What happened?
Same thing happened to me. Did it cook something??

SphericalSound
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SphericalSound » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:28 am

Habbin wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:29 pm
Raub78 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:19 pm
I just followed the directions on GitHub to update the firmware to 1.3 on my 0.9 board.
After I flashed the firmware, said it was successful…
After I plugged it in to power I noticed that it isn’t working…
No screen no nothing just the green flash and red, then solid red….
What happened?
Same thing happened to me. Did it cook something??
Something went wrong. I would try to erase the board (press reset in the board, erase in st link and release reset)
Ther flash the bootloader and then flash 1.3 firmware.

I would also get a new bluepill to flash pangrus edition that has MIDI and some differences.

Notice that the booloader for 1.3 and pangrus are different. In every folder there is its corresponding bootloader

FungusCavern
Learning to Wiggle

Post by FungusCavern » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:38 am

SphericalSound wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:12 am
Ok, finally we have a solid MIDI sync. It comes from a brand new firmware. You can get it here:

https://github.com/spherical-sound-soci ... es/pangrus
Awesome to hear! Really excited to test out the new MIDI sync!
I'd re-flash my bluepill, but I use a mac so I don't think the software would be compatible with me. Does anyone know of any mac alternatives for ST Link?
If not, I'll patiently wait for pre-programmed bluepills in the shop ;)
Don't go to art school like I did

SphericalSound
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SphericalSound » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:00 pm

Better not to reflash it if you are not dead sure. Get a new bluepill and do the experiments with it!. The new bluepill has to be 64 or 128kb. The 32Kbs that floods the markets right now are not valid for this firmware.

Currently I have a shortage of bluepills so I can´t offer preprogrammed ones. Once I get a decent stock I will be selling it too

what gives?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by what gives? » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:00 am

New firmware looks cool

Bodo1967
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Bodo1967 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:16 am

what gives? wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:00 am
New firmware looks cool
Let's hope the information about hardware modification for 0.85 board also comes soon ;).

Offtopic: I like your avatar picture. It makes me giggle every time I see it :hihi: :tu: :yay: .
... why buy it for $100 when you can build it yourself for $150?

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:40 pm

Hola!
So i downloaded the Pangrus on to a new pill, flashed it and shows "pangrus edition) on the screen
I am sending midi clock from ableton to it from my midi interface.
*I forgot what kind of midi jack it uses? I have tried all the ones i have laying around, inlcuding the arturia.
*Im setting external midi sync by shift + auto, screen shows midi, but wont sync to the incoming clock.
Anything im missing?
Thanks!

Edit:

I got this bluepill, maybe its not compatible with the midi?

Thanks

Edit 2:

Reflashed the original blue pill.

Using Arturia Midi adaptor. Working good :)

Gracias

SphericalSound
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SphericalSound » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:18 pm

I would let the original bluepill with the new firmware and flash the new one with version 1.3, so you have both.

In any case, the developent is quite active now and there will be probably new updates, so it´s cool to learn to flash and have an extra bluepill at hand to experiment

SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:05 am

SphericalSound wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:30 am
HOW TO FLASH THE FIRMWARE IN A BLANK BLUEPILL
i got all the parts...but...how do you update this thing using a Mac?
:)
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space

SphericalSound
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SphericalSound » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:59 am

Not sure, as Im a PC guy. Can someone using MAC chime in?

Should be identical or near identical

limpmeat
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by limpmeat » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:27 pm

How does the save function work? I have read the manual and it says something about serial connection to a computer, this means USB right?

I haven't built mine yet, but will be starting next week.

Bodo1967
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Bodo1967 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:48 am

Bodo1967 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:25 am
That sounds very reasonable, I just ordered one :tu: .
... and today it turned out the seller actually didn't have any :bang: . I got a refund but lost about 3 weeks since I have to order another one now :roll: .

FungusCavern
Learning to Wiggle

Post by FungusCavern » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:55 am

I just got myself two stm32's bundled with one of those usb programmers the other day (albeit an overpriced amazon bundle but w/e).
I've been searching around for macOS options to flash them and I think I've found some promising ones.

ST has a piece of software called "STM32CubeProgrammer" that is available for all platforms and looks like it has the same capabilities as st-link.
There is also an arduino ide library called "Arduino Core STM32" that adds support for the bule pill and other stm32 boards.
Finally, particularly for macOS users, there is a homebrew port of st-link if you are comfortable using terminal.

I need to do some errands but I'll try out one of these options later tonight. Anyone have any thoughts on these options?

SphericalSound
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SphericalSound » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:36 pm

limpmeat wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:27 pm
How does the save function work? I have read the manual and it says something about serial connection to a computer, this means USB right?

I haven't built mine yet, but will be starting next week.
The save button currently dont save nothing but does different things depending on the firmware that you have. In the latest one it mutes channels and something more explained at the end.

OR dont have internal memory, so you cant save preset nor patterns, but as it have USB connection in theory I could write a java program to store and recall patterns and presets connecting it to the computer

I could write this program or not. At the moment Im working in other projects...

In the latest firmware, the keyboard shorcuts are:

REC - start/stop. The ">" sign in the upper left appears when the OR sequencer is running.

AUTO - engage AUTO mode. In AUTO mode, the active channel changes every step. When you move a knob, the correspondig parameter of the active channel is affected.

AUTO + Pressing the keys from 1 to 8 load the sound presets

LOCK - engage LOCK mode. Pressing the keys from 1-8 the corresponding channel toggles from locked to unocked.

EDIT - engage EDIT mode. Press the keys 1-16 to edit the active pattern. The pattern is shown on the leds.

CHAN - engage CLEAR mode. Pressing the keys from 1-8 clears the corresponding channel.

RND - engage RANDOM mode. Pressing the keys from 1-8 randomize the corresponding channel. Randomization is made with the euclidean algorithm.

SAVE - engage MUTE mode. Pressing the keys from 1-8 the corresponding channel toggles from muted to unmuted.

SHIFT + AUTO - toggles slave MIDI mode.

SHIFT + LOCK - locks all channels.

SHIFT + CHAN - clears all channels.

SHIFT + RND - Select generative mode. In GEN1 mode every 16 step the gates of one pattern and one sound parameters is randomized. In GEN2 mode gates are unchanged; every step one sound parameter is randomized. Bpm selection is disabled.

SHIFT + SAVE - mutes all channels.m machine you hear in the demos.

FungusCavern
Learning to Wiggle

Post by FungusCavern » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:54 pm

So I kind of successfully flashed a smt32 on my mac.
I ended up using ST's STM32CubeProgrammer because the ardino ide library required it for serial communication and the homebrew st-link documentation was too vague for me.
It was a bit of a pain to get the CubeProgrammer installed and run (big sur, big pains), but a few terminal commands got it up and running. It's a very different layout than the st-link utility but I believe the "Erasing & Programming" is the correct page for your flashing needs (icon circled in red).

I followed the same steps outlined before by SphericalSound and then bing-bang-boop, the flash was successful (well the program said so at least)!
I popped in the new blue pill, plugged it in, and was greeted by the Pangrus bootup screen and then menu!

However, I am not getting any audio out. Only very faint squelching noise. All of the physical functions seem to work (start/stop, menus, editing steps, etc.). I guess my attempt at flashing a blue pill was 'half' successful.
I also noticed that my blue pill's PC13 led is on while on the original blue pill that led is off. Is that a sign of what may have went wrong for me?
Kind of at a loss of what to try next, but at least I learned how to kind of use a blue pill and got to brush up on my terminal skills.

SphericalSound
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SphericalSound » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:16 am

Hmmm, interesting. Letr´s see: Pangrus edition uses a different bootloader, so instead of the six flashes ate start you get the 2 bluepill leds permanently lit, which is correct.

Also the flashing is correct as the firmware is running. I have had some issues also compiling pangrus edition to do sound in my tests. So FAQ:

-Do your OR do sound with the original firmware?
-The volume pot works inversely: right>less volume, left>max volume (Check this)
If the above is Ok, you could try to install arduino and compile the original files

In case you get sound with the original firmware I would try to reflash your new bluepill with a PC or get one brand new from my store which I program and test before shipping

In any case, I think you are super close to get it working :yay:

FungusCavern
Learning to Wiggle

Post by FungusCavern » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:03 pm

SphericalSound wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:16 am
-The volume pot works inversely: right>less volume, left>max volume (Check this)
If the above is Ok, you could try to install arduino and compile the original files

In case you get sound with the original firmware I would try to reflash your new bluepill with a PC or get one brand new from my store which I program and test before shipping
Thanks for the advice!
I messed with the volume pot and still got no audio.
My OR does make sound this the stock bluepill with the 1.3 firmware.
I tried re-flashing my new bluepill with the 1.3 firmware and got the same results (no audio but physical functions work). After that, I attempted to re-flash it with the pangrus firmware but now CubeProgrammer keeps giving me an "Error: Problem occurred while trying to connect" pop up.
Not sure if I wrecked this new bluepill, but I'll try to borrow a PC from a friend and see if it can connect without errors. At least I still have a spare one I can mess with, but if I keep running into problems I'll definitely pick up a pre-programmed bluepill from your shop when they're available!

FungusCavern
Learning to Wiggle

Post by FungusCavern » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:22 pm

Alright, so I gave up on my first bluepill since I believe I bricked it or it's stuck in a hardware reset loop or something.
Got out my second and last bluepill and used st link utility on a friends PC and flashed the pangrus firmware to it.
Unfortunately, I'm still running into the same issues as before: no audio.
I feel like I am so close to getting it, but I think I'm gonna take a break from this for a bit. The bluepill has officially beat me.
Unless anyone has any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this, I'm gonna wait for the shop to have pre-programmed pills.

SphericalSound
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SphericalSound » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:41 pm

FungusCavern wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:03 pm
SphericalSound wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:16 am

Thanks for the advice!
I messed with the volume pot and still got no audio.
My OR does make sound this the stock bluepill with the 1.3 firmware.
I tried re-flashing my new bluepill with the 1.3 firmware and got the same results (no audio but physical functions work). After that, I attempted to re-flash it with the pangrus firmware but now CubeProgrammer keeps giving me an "Error: Problem occurred while trying to connect" pop up.
Not sure if I wrecked this new bluepill, but I'll try to borrow a PC from a friend and see if it can connect without errors. At least I still have a spare one I can mess with, but if I keep running into problems I'll definitely pick up a pre-programmed bluepill from your shop when they're available!
sorry for the delay in response. Bluepills are mostly undestructible. You can always wipe it out, flash bootloader and flash the firmware. Check that every firmware uses a different bootloader... Maybe you are mixing both?

In any case, preprogrammed bluepills are in my store. If you bought it from me I can do you some discount, pm

FungusCavern
Learning to Wiggle

Post by FungusCavern » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:14 am

Hi, thank you for the encouragement. I went back to the bluepill I thought I busted and got it back to it's original state after messing with some settings and changing the jumpers.
I've been very careful about using the correct bootloader for the corresponding firmware. Tried pangrus again and still get no audio.
I have the next day off so I'll be trying to troubleshoot and test some more with my bulepills and play around with the 1.3 firmware.
I'll pm you on the weekend about preprogrammed bluepills if I'm still having issues.
Thank you!

Bodo1967
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Bodo1967 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:15 am

I don't believe it :bang: .

Got my BluePill today, flashed the bootloader. But when it comes to flashing the actual Pangrus firmware, ST Link Utility tells me that, and I quote:
"This file is empty or corrupted!"

I must admit I'm by and by getting sick and tired, although the Opera Rotas as such sounds great. But not being able to sync it to an external clock makes it 90% unusable for me.

Bjarne
Common Wiggler

Post by Bjarne » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:05 pm

It might be worth double checking that you’ve downloaded the raw binary file from GitHub.
Cheers
Bodo1967 wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:15 am
Got my BluePill today, flashed the bootloader. But when it comes to flashing the actual Pangrus firmware, ST Link Utility tells me that, and I quote:
"This file is empty or corrupted!"

jaybee
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jaybee » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:32 pm

What about the MIDI modification for the old Board versions? Without this i do not need to try flashing...

And where can i download the polyphonic Synth firmware? Is this Firmware kompatible with the midi chiclet for the old boards?

Bodo1967
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Bodo1967 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:48 pm

Bjarne wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:05 pm
It might be worth double checking that you’ve downloaded the raw binary file from GitHub.
I took the one listed after I clicked on the Github link :despair: .

Afaict it worked for the bootloader :hmm: .
pangrus github.jpg

Bodo1967
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Bodo1967 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:08 pm

SphericalSound wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:30 am
Download the lastest version of the firmware

https://github.com/spherical-sound-soci ... es/pangrus

OR_Pangrus_1.0.hex
For all non-Github experts who may have run into the same dead end as me:

Using that link and trying "right mouse button" => "save as" does not work for the firmware file (it does for the bootloader, though :hmm: ).

Use this link:
https://github.com/spherical-sound-society/OPERA_ROTAS

Then click the green 'Code' button, download the zip file, extract is, et voilà.
Flashing the BluePill apparently was successful now (haven't put it in the OR yet as it's already past 11 pm over here, but the ST Utility software behaved as expected and returned no error message this time).

Return to “Music Tech DIY”