Voting open for your top 3 tracks in our Odd Meter Remix/ReMangle/Reimagine Challenge

Prizes generously donated by:
ADDAC System (Eurorack 3U)
Endorphin.es (Eurorack 3U)
Fred's Lab (DIY Paraphonic Synth)
Northern Light Modular (Buchla-format h-series OR Eurorack3U)
Rattly and Raw (Wiggler Approved Kontakt Instrument)
Studio.h (Buchla-format 4U)

Get your vote on and free 42 minute modular playlist for your listening pleasure.

OPERA ROTAS, a DIY mutant drum machine BUILD THREAD

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Post Reply
User avatar
autodafe
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 410
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:14 am
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: OPERA ROTAS, a DIY mutant drum machine BUILD THREAD

Post by autodafe » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:35 pm

I have an "extra" Blue Pill and I would like to help testing the new features, if you need it ;-)
I can't wait to see the new features!!

User avatar
SphericalSound
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 573
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:23 am
Location: Spain

Re: OPERA ROTAS, a DIY mutant drum machine BUILD THREAD

Post by SphericalSound » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:13 pm

autodafe wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:35 pm
I have an "extra" Blue Pill and I would like to help testing the new features, if you need it ;-)
I can't wait to see the new features!!
Nice!. Send me your mail via PM

User avatar
autodafe
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 410
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:14 am
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: OPERA ROTAS, a DIY mutant drum machine BUILD THREAD

Post by autodafe » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:28 pm

sent ;-)

User avatar
autodafe
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 410
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:14 am
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: OPERA ROTAS, a DIY mutant drum machine BUILD THREAD

Post by autodafe » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:02 pm

I have tested the new firmware on the "extra" Bluepill I had, so far it seems OK.
Installation is quite easy (once you understand what needs to be done ;) ), when the FW is released as .hex file I can write a simple guide on how to do it if you need it

Braw
1-Post Wiggler
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:11 pm

Re: OPERA ROTAS, a DIY mutant drum machine BUILD THREAD

Post by Braw » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:11 pm

Any updates on the firmware? I'd be excited to test it out.

User avatar
Modulus
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Florida

Re: OPERA ROTAS, a DIY mutant drum machine BUILD THREAD

Post by Modulus » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:23 pm

Holy shite. Get ready to sell a thousand more opera rotas'


User avatar
Bodo1967
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 821
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:27 pm
Location: Germany

Re: OPERA ROTAS, a DIY mutant drum machine BUILD THREAD

Post by Bodo1967 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:29 am

autodafe wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:02 pm
when the FW is released as .hex file I can write a simple guide on how to do it if you need it
Please do - preferably idiot proof ;)!
Braw wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:11 pm
Any updates on the firmware? I'd be excited to test it out.
So am I!
... why buy it for $100 when you can build it yourself for $150?

User avatar
SphericalSound
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 573
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:23 am
Location: Spain

Re: OPERA ROTAS, a DIY mutant drum machine BUILD THREAD

Post by SphericalSound » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:42 pm

There´s another firmware ready 1.2 but I prefer to betatest it before releasing in case there is some bugs. So only betatester with st link, please PM to get the 1.2 firmware.

Not MIDI yet but I have finally the MIDI optocouplers so give me some time to figure it out...

Also It could be possible to control it via USB midi, isnt? If anybody wants to implement it I would gladly pay for it

User avatar
Bodo1967
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 821
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:27 pm
Location: Germany

Re: OPERA ROTAS, a DIY mutant drum machine BUILD THREAD

Post by Bodo1967 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:26 am

SphericalSound wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:42 pm
There´s another firmware ready 1.2 but I prefer to betatest it before releasing in case there is some bugs. So only betatester with st link, please PM to get the 1.2 firmware.

Not MIDI yet but I have finally the MIDI optocouplers so give me some time to figure it out...
Does this current firmware provide clockabilty (if that's a word ;) :lol:) via analog clock? If yes, I'd be tempted. I do have an ST-Link, but no experience with it yet, so I'd appreciate some information (as mentioned in my previous post) on how to do it properly.
... why buy it for $100 when you can build it yourself for $150?

User avatar
SphericalSound
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 573
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:23 am
Location: Spain

Re: OPERA ROTAS, a DIY mutant drum machine BUILD THREAD

Post by SphericalSound » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:35 pm

Bodo1967 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:26 am
SphericalSound wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:42 pm
There´s another firmware ready 1.2 but I prefer to betatest it before releasing in case there is some bugs. So only betatester with st link, please PM to get the 1.2 firmware.

Not MIDI yet but I have finally the MIDI optocouplers so give me some time to figure it out...
Does this current firmware provide clockabilty (if that's a word ;) :lol:) via analog clock? If yes, I'd be tempted. I do have an ST-Link, but no experience with it yet, so I'd appreciate some information (as mentioned in my previous post) on how to do it properly.
Nopes, and maybe it wont, because if you go for the analogic clock you lost the possibility of midi in, and currently is what Im aiming for... Well, you can have both doing some extra kludging and custom firmware. :)

So let´s try the midi first

User avatar
Bodo1967
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 821
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:27 pm
Location: Germany

Re: OPERA ROTAS, a DIY mutant drum machine BUILD THREAD

Post by Bodo1967 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:31 am

SphericalSound wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:35 pm
So let´s try the midi first
That's perfectly OK :tu: .

From a personal viewpoint: I have both (MIDI and analog clock) available in my setup, and can use both simultanously. So personally I don't actually bother whether it's MIDi or analog clock.

That of course may be different for other people (as in, ymmv), and I agree MIDI is nowadays probably more of a general standard than analog clock. So I guess whatver it turns out to be is fine as long as that lovely little machine becomes clockable :D.
... why buy it for $100 when you can build it yourself for $150?

User avatar
drox
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 329
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:29 am
Location: Sydney AUS

Re: OPERA ROTAS, a DIY mutant drum machine BUILD THREAD

Post by drox » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:21 pm

Awesome work on getting a bit closer to implementing midi clock. This is next on my list to buy after clearing some DIY backlog.

User avatar
notmiserlouagain
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 898
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:04 am
Location: Hamburg
Contact:

Re: OPERA ROTAS, a DIY mutant drum machine BUILD THREAD

Post by notmiserlouagain » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:06 am

hey spherical sound, any chance of a tindie re-stock of O.R.-kits in the near future?
He who eats with most pleasure is he who least requires sauce.
Xenophon

User avatar
SphericalSound
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 573
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:23 am
Location: Spain

Re: OPERA ROTAS, a DIY mutant drum machine BUILD THREAD

Post by SphericalSound » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:58 pm

notmiserlouagain wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:06 am
hey spherical sound, any chance of a tindie re-stock of O.R.-kits in the near future?
Yepp, I added stock this morning

machine3lf
1-Post Wiggler
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:09 am

Re: OPERA ROTAS, a DIY mutant drum machine BUILD THREAD

Post by machine3lf » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:24 pm

Hey guys, not sure if I am writing this in the correct place but I have a question about the OR. I got mine a few weeks ago and I'm in love. I am not a technical guy, I just really enjoy making electronic music with a more intuative approach than relying on any deep technical knowledge and skill. I was wondering if anyone knows how or where I can go about updating the firmware on mine. It's currently operating on 1.1 and I understand there is a version 1.3 somewhere as well as a new guide coming out? I got the little sv dongle thing under advice that it is needed to update. I'm pretty keen to get it up to date to explore and understand the new features.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

User avatar
SphericalSound
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 573
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:23 am
Location: Spain

Re: OPERA ROTAS, a DIY mutant drum machine BUILD THREAD

Post by SphericalSound » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:37 am

machine3lf wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:24 pm
Hey guys, not sure if I am writing this in the correct place but I have a question about the OR. I got mine a few weeks ago and I'm in love. I am not a technical guy, I just really enjoy making electronic music with a more intuative approach than relying on any deep technical knowledge and skill. I was wondering if anyone knows how or where I can go about updating the firmware on mine. It's currently operating on 1.1 and I understand there is a version 1.3 somewhere as well as a new guide coming out? I got the little sv dongle thing under advice that it is needed to update. I'm pretty keen to get it up to date to explore and understand the new features.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
Hi,

I have just upload the latest firmware 1.3 to github. It does synch to MIDI clock but it still buggy. Apart for the jitter it has more key combos so it´s advisable to update. Im writing the update procedure right know

https://github.com/spherical-sound-society/OPERA_ROTAS

Also I have updated the manual with the key new key combos as well

https://github.com/spherical-sound-soci ... L-2021.pdf
Last edited by SphericalSound on Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bodo1967
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 821
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:27 pm
Location: Germany

Re: OPERA ROTAS, a DIY mutant drum machine BUILD THREAD

Post by Bodo1967 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:54 am

SphericalSound wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:37 am
I have just upload the latest firmware 1.3 to github. It does synch to MIDI clock
That is awesome news :banana: !
SphericalSound wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:37 am
but it still buggy.
In how far will this affect general performance? A little jitter or system crash, etc.?
And is a hardware patch (such as replacing the opto coupler) required?
SphericalSound wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:37 am
Im writing the update procedure right know
:tu: .

I may have overlooked it (in that case: sorry if it has already been answered in the thread) - is the MIDI TRS allocation 'Arturia style' oder 'Korg style''?
... why buy it for $100 when you can build it yourself for $150?

User avatar
SphericalSound
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 573
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:23 am
Location: Spain

Re: OPERA ROTAS, a DIY mutant drum machine BUILD THREAD

Post by SphericalSound » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:55 am

HOW TO UPDATE THE FIRMWARE

You need to have a st link vs gadget, that looks like this:

Image
And costs 2-3USD in ebay and local stores

Then, you have to install ST LINK UTILITY
https://www.st.com/en/development-tools ... nk004.html

(You will need to create a free account to download it)

Once you have installed it, open ST LINK UTILITY.

Download the lastest version of the firmware (currently 1.3).

Connect the ST LINK gadget to a USB port of your computer. Then connect the gatget to your OPERA ROTAS following this schematic:

Image

In ST LINK UTILITY open the firmware that you dowloaded (1.3), then press RESET button on the bluepill and while is pressed, click "PROGRAM VERIFY" on the ST LINK UTILY.

Release reset button. It should be uploading the new firmware.

Your OR is updated.
Attachments
ST LINK .jpg

User avatar
SphericalSound
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 573
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:23 am
Location: Spain

Re: OPERA ROTAS, a DIY mutant drum machine BUILD THREAD

Post by SphericalSound » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:01 am

Bodo1967 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:54 am
SphericalSound wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:37 am
I have just upload the latest firmware 1.3 to github. It does synch to MIDI clock
That is awesome news :banana: !
SphericalSound wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:37 am
but it still buggy.
In how far will this affect general performance? A little jitter or system crash, etc.?
And is a hardware patch (such as replacing the opto coupler) required?
SphericalSound wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:37 am
Im writing the update procedure right know
:tu: .

I may have overlooked it (in that case: sorry if it has already been answered in the thread) - is the MIDI TRS allocation 'Arturia style' oder 'Korg style''?
The jitter is quite big. It dont crash, but is not quite usable as it is. But As long as the hardware side is ready and Im open sourcing the code, I guess anybody could fix it in the coming days.

Since REV 0.9 of the Opera Rotas is hardware ready. If you have a previous PCB you need a "midi chiclet" mini PCB that Im testing right now.

I dont know if it´s arturia or korg type to be sincere!. It´s teh one that works with my cable... not sure with orientation is. Maybe just better get 2 cables, one arturia type and other korg type so you are prepared for all the midi orientations

User avatar
Bodo1967
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 821
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:27 pm
Location: Germany

Re: OPERA ROTAS, a DIY mutant drum machine BUILD THREAD

Post by Bodo1967 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:33 pm

SphericalSound wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:01 am
Since REV 0.9 of the Opera Rotas is hardware ready. If you have a previous PCB you need a "midi chiclet" mini PCB that Im testing right now.
Mine is 0.85, so I'll just wait for the chiclet PCB and a bug and jitter free firmware version. I do have the ST-Link v2, and the utility software is also installed. So I'm ready to go :D.
SphericalSound wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:01 am
Maybe just better get 2 cables, one arturia type and other korg type so you are prepared for all the midi orientations
I have both versions here anyway, so that's OK.
... why buy it for $100 when you can build it yourself for $150?

User avatar
Bjarne
Common Wiggler
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:31 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: OPERA ROTAS, a DIY mutant drum machine BUILD THREAD

Post by Bjarne » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:03 am

It's nice to hear that your tinkering with a "midi chiclet" for pre-0.9-revisions. :tu:
Cheers
SphericalSound wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:01 am
Since REV 0.9 of the Opera Rotas is hardware ready. If you have a previous PCB you need a "midi chiclet" mini PCB that Im testing right now.

munkisun
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:52 am

Re: OPERA ROTAS, a DIY mutant drum machine BUILD THREAD

Post by munkisun » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:57 am

I ordered an ortas and got a 0.85 version. So now I did a firmware update to firmware version 1.3. it worked
Would be great if you can share the scematic for the midi in chiclet, with this i could solder the additional circuit by myself to get midi in finally working.
thanks and
greetings chris
PS i like this glitchy sounds out of this machine!

User avatar
SphericalSound
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 573
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:23 am
Location: Spain

Re: OPERA ROTAS, a DIY mutant drum machine BUILD THREAD

Post by SphericalSound » Fri May 07, 2021 7:23 am

Sorry for the delay... Here you have the schematic. I havent tested it yet but 99% its working
Attachments
MIDIPCB.pdf
(11.61 KiB) Downloaded 59 times

br1tattoo
1-Post Wiggler
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu May 13, 2021 12:09 pm

Re: OPERA ROTAS, a DIY mutant drum machine BUILD THREAD

Post by br1tattoo » Thu May 13, 2021 12:27 pm

hello, I used stm32 cube programmer with the st link v2 to update the firmware to 1.3, (the .bin file) but after conecting, and passing all the new firmware, the bluepill is no longer runing, everithing loocks good when Im connected to the stm32 cube programmer all info and program commands are inside, but the red led is no longer blinking on the bluepill
do somebody knows what im making wrong ? how to restart the bluepill after connected and programmed with stm32cube?
im not used to programming I ask apologies for my ignorance, and I hope should be something easy,
since now thanks a lot for your help

munkisun
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:52 am

Re: OPERA ROTAS, a DIY mutant drum machine BUILD THREAD

Post by munkisun » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:20 am

Hello, I have the OPERA ROTAS 0.85 and cannot get the MIDI IN working. I just wanna sync it to my DAW clock. Do I need to configure the midi in somehow or will it just sync (in the available range) just when the clock comes in?

I cannot find anything (except the opera rotas scematic) for the MIDI IN on the web. And i tried various 3.5mm to midi adapters.

thanks for you help and greetings Christian

Post Reply

Return to “Music Tech DIY”