Looking for a builder? Post here!

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

johny_gtr
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Looking for a builder? Post here!

Post by johny_gtr » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:50 am

Looking for a builder of MU (5U) anodized panel. Design is from my side. If it's interesting, also porting one module form Euro to MU (if it's more interesting for you)
new electric electronic album soon:

Kent
Curator/Janitor/Zookeeper

EU repair/builder/trouble-shooter

Post by Kent » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:08 pm

I’ve got two Buchla modules that need finishing up and a piece of outboard gear that is blowing it’s mains fuse.

I’m too busy to fix them these days.

MikeDB
Ultra Wiggler

Post by MikeDB » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:01 am

Looking for someone in UK to solder up SMD prototype PCBs for me. Some will be audio, some not. Usually a couple of boards every three months or so.

Up until to now I've used the LCSC/JLCPCB SMD assembly service for most components and then soldered through hole connectors myself as they don't mount second pass items, but declining eyesight and the new Raspberry Pi CM4 100 way Hirose connectors force me to find someone who can solder ultra-fine pitch SMD connectors. I can either have the main components loaded at LCSC and you solder the connectors, or you solder the whole board, your choice. Other components are generally things like LQFPs or TSSOPs with 0603 and larger Rs and Cs as I don't normally use 0201s or 0402s.

I'd supply all the components either way. Please PM me if interested with a price per joint including visual inspection.
Always interested in innovative audio startups needing help and investment, just PM me.

SonarBk
Common Wiggler

Post by SonarBk » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:21 pm

Hi looking for someone to build a small stand-alone Eurorack case for me for a module that's deeper than my other cases. Its for the Grendel Drone Commander plus expander, which is 35 hp and 78 mm. I live in Brooklyn NY so local would be nice but anyone in the US or who can ship there for not too much. PM me, thanks!!!

GreenPiece
Learning to Wiggle

Post by GreenPiece » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:52 am

xxx - all set
Last edited by GreenPiece on Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

hustlerwhite69
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hustlerwhite69 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:37 pm

Hello!

I'm lookin for someone to troubleshoot and finish a Psycox Syncussion SY 1M kit that I almost finished building earlier this year. I'm fairly confident that I soldered everything in the right place, and the thing powers on and makes sounds, but not the sounds it's supposed to. I contacted Simon who makes the kits who suggested that it's likely an issue with the SMD transistors. Here are videos of the weird sounds that it makes: and I live in LA county so it would be ideal to find someone nearby but open to shipping the kit too. Send a PM, thank you!

DieAutobarn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DieAutobarn » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:32 pm

Hello people,

I have all the parts for a Mutant Bass Drum but no time to build ATM. It would be great to hear from a builder who could take this on.

I'm based in Tricity, Poland.

hautlle
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hautlle » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:50 am

Hey everyone, I'm looking to pay someone to repair my Sonic Potions LXR.

It quit working a few years after I built it when we had a power brown-out. I don't have the resources to troubleshoot it. I'm in the US.

Please PM me with details.

daryll
Common Wiggler

Post by daryll » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:23 pm

Based In the UK
looking for someone to produce one off PCB`s
I will supply the PCB GIF`s , the correct size , mirrored and printed on a laser printer, the copper clad board , and the chemicals you need , I will drill the PCB`s later , just not confident to make them , they are for a digisoung-80 synth.
Approx 18 boards , most are 160 X100 mm , some smaller
For more info , please ask

Cheers

Daryll
there are 10 types of people in the world , those that understand the binary system , and those that dont

Happiness Forever
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Happiness Forever » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:26 am

Hey there.
In Seattle, have a DIY Mutable Instruments Elements in need of ??? skills I don't have.
Part of the module seems to work as it should, the other parts not so much.

Thanks!

Scooter McCrae
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Scooter McCrae » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:31 pm

Greetings All;

I have about two dozen MOTM and Modcan B format modules that I'm looking to place in a Synthesizers.com 44 space two-tier cabinet.

I'm thinking the way to go is to get their QPS3 power supply as I might eventually want to add another cabinet to this configuration and have everything powered off of a single PSU.

The big issue here is configuring their power supply to have the correct headers for my MOTM and Modcan B modules. I do have a pair of MOTM-960 distribution boards that might do the trick, but I'm wondering if they can be connected to the dotcom PSU. Or would it be better to just have adapter cables connected to the dotcom QDH power harness? I'm concerned about both safety and reliability.

Those questions now being asked, I'm wondering if there's anybody in this thread who might be able to make either the cable from the PSU to the MOTM distribution board or to make at least two dozen adapter cables from dotcom to MOTM/Modcan? And if so, what would be the approximate cost and turnaround time?

I'm in Brooklyn, New York, so if you're local please let me know.

Thanks in advance to anyone who reads this and can possibly help me out.

Scooter McCrae

elmegil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by elmegil » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:51 pm

I have too many things already on my plate to offer to make them, but cables with a dotcom header on on one end and an MOTM or Modcan on the other should work just fine with the dotcom power supply (I don't have specific experience with Modcan, but I just looked it up and it's supposed to be bipolar 15V same as MOTM & dotcom). You need to have some idea what length you'd need from the distro to the respective modules, but it's a straightforward thing to make.

andreadave
1-Post Wiggler

Post by andreadave » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:00 am

Hello beautiful people,
Based in London, UK,
Looking for someone who can build a plum UJove for me, I’ve got already pusherman PCB + front panel.
Please help me out!

EASYBOY
Common Wiggler

Post by EASYBOY » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:32 pm

Hey builders
I am looking for a builder who can build a kassutronics quantizer. I am in europe.
Hit me up please

Scooter McCrae
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Scooter McCrae » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:50 pm

elmegil wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:51 pm
I have too many things already on my plate to offer to make them, but cables with a dotcom header on on one end and an MOTM or Modcan on the other should work just fine with the dotcom power supply (I don't have specific experience with Modcan, but I just looked it up and it's supposed to be bipolar 15V same as MOTM & dotcom). You need to have some idea what length you'd need from the distro to the respective modules, but it's a straightforward thing to make.
Thanks very much, elmegil -- very much appreciate you checking into this and confirming the power supply issue. It looks like I'll have the cable manufacturing covered by the person I'll be getting my cabinets from, so all is now well.

Scooter McCrae

ishback
1-Post Wiggler

Post by ishback » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:59 pm

Hi all,
I'm looking for someone who can help with PCB design for a shader visualizer module, ideally in New York. It's a relatively simple design with potentiometers, audio jacks for CV input and an ESP32, but I'm hitting a ceiling when trying to get the different types of voltage ranges (0-5V, -5-5V, 0-10V, etc.) into the board. Please send DM and I can share more details.
Ish

wuff_miggler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:02 pm

Are there any builders in Sydney, Australia which could install a linear power supply (i'm looking at some of the metasonix recommended ones) that run 10A or more.

This is not a right now thing - but i wanted to put my feelers out there & see if there were any locals that could do a high quality and more importantly safe job which wont kill me.

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:19 pm

Hey peoples, I'm looking for someone to add 5-pin MIDI in and out to a Yamaha PSS-A50. I don't know much about this sort of thing, but it looks like it should be very possible? It has existing MIDI in and out via a single USB micro-b slot.

I'm not sure what you'd need to determine if such a mod is possible, but here's a few things--

https://sandsoftwaresound.net/modding-the-pss-series/

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/o ... _om_a0.pdf

https://jp.yamaha.com/files/download/ot ... _mr_a0.pdf

It looks like it's spacious enough to fit such a mod. I'd prefer to have the 5-pin MIDI in and out on the backside of the unit. That said, if there's not enough space, I'm more than happy to lose the speaker to make room. This reviewer opens the unit--

So I guess first off-- is it possible?

If so, anyone interested in taking it on? Or maybe recommendations for someone who might?

Thanks! :guinness:

NeolithicElectrophones
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:18 pm

22tape wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:19 pm
Hey peoples, I'm looking for someone to add 5-pin MIDI in and out to a Yamaha PSS-A50. I don't know much about this sort of thing, but it looks like it should be very possible? It has existing MIDI in and out via a single USB micro-b slot.
Have you considered getting a usb host to midi converter. It would add some extra gear clutter but if you found other usb midi devices you liked you wouldn't have to outfit them individually.

I use one of these for that task. Very happy with it. https://kentonuk.com/product/midi-usb-host-mkii/

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:32 pm

NeolithicElectrophones wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:18 pm
22tape wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:19 pm
Have you considered getting a usb host to midi converter. It would add some extra gear clutter but if you found other usb midi devices you liked you wouldn't have to outfit them individually.

I use one of these for that task. Very happy with it. https://kentonuk.com/product/midi-usb-host-mkii/
Hey yeah the Kenton would definitely work but I'm trying to have as little clutter as possible. Thanks for the heads up though!

pjbulls
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pjbulls » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:07 pm

USB MIDI and serial MIDI are not the same, it's not as simple as 'bridging the connectors' as your link suggests. You'd need something to convert the USB signal into serial, such as an ATMega + USB Host controller running this library or similar - essentially bringing what's inside those MIDI Host boxes inside your keyboard (it's not just wires). If the PSS-A50 is class-compliant it should work, but I can't find anywhere confirming or denying that it is.

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:05 pm

pjbulls wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:07 pm
USB MIDI and serial MIDI are not the same, it's not as simple as 'bridging the connectors' as your link suggests. You'd need something to convert the USB signal into serial, such as an ATMega + USB Host controller running this library or similar - essentially bringing what's inside those MIDI Host boxes inside your keyboard (it's not just wires). If the PSS-A50 is class-compliant it should work, but I can't find anywhere confirming or denying that it is.
Thanks for the info!

So I found some anecdotal forum posts that say it is indeed class-compliant, but nothing definitive yet. I'm going to reach to Yamaha for confirmation.

This person connects it to an iPad seemingly without installing drivers--

But it seems that it needs to be powered via MIDI for the MIDI to work? I'll always be powering it from batteries, so does it matter whether or not the power is drawn from the MIDI port for the MIDI to work?

Thanks!

pjbulls
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pjbulls » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:51 am

You can power the MCU and the MIDI out via the keyboard's power circuitry (possibly need another regulator but likely not) or directly from its USB connection. The power in serial MIDI transmission always comes from the 'sender', but that shouldn't be a problem.

I see now that you'd like to have serial MIDI in and out, that actually creates another layer of complexity. Not only will you need an MCU to convert the USB MIDI into serial, you'll also need to merge the MIDI streams. I've read that this becomes rather tricky very quickly (you need to carefully keep track of which bits are part of what message while keeping timing as tight as possible). In theory it can all be done with a single AVR, but it's not going to be trivial... And this will give you a MIDI 'through', not actually 'in' which would entail doing the whole conversion in reverse.

Maybe putting one of those Kentons inside your case isn't the worst of ideas :lol:

ŘłB23³
Common Wiggler

Post by ŘłB23³ » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:11 am

Hello everyone, I'm looking for someone that would like to build a NLC Triple sloths for me. I have the kit from synthcube w everything that is needed. I have built many modules in the past but seeing that the majority of this one is SMD I'm afraid to take it on and mess it up. I'm more of a thru hole kinda builder, my eyes just aren't good enough for this one anymore. I'm located in ohio and will handle shipping of course. Any info and estimates would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much!
RLb

DCDanno
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DCDanno » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:52 pm

ŘłB23³ wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:11 am
Hello everyone, I'm looking for someone that would like to build a NLC Triple sloths for me. I have the kit from synthcube w everything that is needed. I have built many modules in the past but seeing that the majority of this one is SMD I'm afraid to take it on and mess it up. I'm more of a thru hole kinda builder, my eyes just aren't good enough for this one anymore. I'm located in ohio and will handle shipping of course. Any info and estimates would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much!
RLb
Just sent you a PM

Return to “Music Tech DIY”