Voting open for your top 3 tracks in our Odd Meter Remix/ReMangle/Reimagine Challenge

Prizes generously donated by:
ADDAC System (Eurorack 3U)
Endorphin.es (Eurorack 3U)
Fred's Lab (DIY Paraphonic Synth)
Northern Light Modular (Buchla-format h-series OR Eurorack3U)
Rattly and Raw (Wiggler Approved Kontakt Instrument)
Studio.h (Buchla-format 4U)

Get your vote on and free 42 minute modular playlist for your listening pleasure.

OPERA ROTAS, a DIY mutant drum machine BUILD THREAD

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

SphericalSound
Veteran Wiggler

Re: OPERA ROTAS, a DIY mutant drum machine BUILD THREAD

Post by SphericalSound » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:34 am

fogoverparis wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:34 pm
SphericalSound wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:43 pm
Yeah, you probably have an incompatible MIDI cable. There´s 2 standards, the Korg and the Roland. You have the other type, get a new 5pin to 3 stereo cable, the other type should work. Better get 2, both types, so one will sure work

Edit: Re reading your message, maybe is a different issue. Without the MIDI plugged, you still can´t untoggle it?. It´s strange.
Can you post what PCB revision do you have and what firmware revision do you have?
Yeah even without MIDI plugged in it locks up everything to turn it on. PCB says 0.95, I don't know how to view the firmware version, it just says "Pangrus" when I turn it on.
I have checked that you have to have the MIDI clock running when you turn MIDI mode on, other way, with no MIDI, it crashes. So just turn MIDI mode when the MIDI is connected and the clock is running

I will be fixing this in some future update, but ATM it is like this

Leighzi88
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Leighzi88 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:38 am

SphericalSound wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:17 am
Leighzi88 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:17 am
Is there a stereo MIDI plug on the unit? I thought the MIDI was via the USB cable?

.... I have my pre-assembled unit on the way, somewhere between Spain and Australia! :sb:
Yeah, is in stereo 3.5 midi format... I shipped your OR yesterday. Should be there in a few days :cloud:
Mine arrived today, a public holiday - yay!

I love the sounds it's producing and the interface.

A few initial comments:

- the MIDI sync is great! I had it running in time with my Cirklon no problem
- would love one day to be able to trigger the voices from an external sequencer - hope this is possible, seems doable if the polysynth works :)
- mine came with the synth firmware attached - took me a minute to realise and swap for the drum ... look forward to trying the synth soon.
- the MIDI toggle on mine doesn't toggle out of MIDI mode either ... not a big deal
- the 'Attack' knobs on my unit seem to be reversed (i.e. full clockwise for minimum attack); is this the way it's designed? Again, not a big deal and I actually like the 'mirror' orientation of Attack and Release on a drum synth
- would love to have a case of some sorts - I'm afraid I'm going to break it! ... I was a bit scared putting the knobs on, and think they're only half way on b/c they were way tight and pressing them any further could crack the board
- random and generative modes are great! ... I think this might have been mentioned a while back in this thread, but it would be nice if you could in the future reduce the # of notes produced (like in Pam's W/O), sometimes the sequences sound a bit busy.
- mine has an error when pressing the third button in edit mode - it toggles off all the LEDS of the relevant channel when it's pressed rather than registering as a step - might be hardware or firmware, but not a biggie

Overall, I'm very happy - the OR's a super cool drum synth! :)

SphericalSound
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SphericalSound » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:37 pm

Leighzi88 wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:38 am
SphericalSound wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:17 am
Leighzi88 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:17 am
Is there a stereo MIDI plug on the unit? I thought the MIDI was via the USB cable?

.... I have my pre-assembled unit on the way, somewhere between Spain and Australia! :sb:
Yeah, is in stereo 3.5 midi format... I shipped your OR yesterday. Should be there in a few days :cloud:
Mine arrived today, a public holiday - yay!

I love the sounds it's producing and the interface.

A few initial comments:

- the MIDI sync is great! I had it running in time with my Cirklon no problem
- would love one day to be able to trigger the voices from an external sequencer - hope this is possible, seems doable if the polysynth works :)

Sure it´s doable and planned for the next release!!

- mine came with the synth firmware attached - took me a minute to realise and swap for the drum ... look forward to trying the synth soon.
- the MIDI toggle on mine doesn't toggle out of MIDI mode either ... not a big deal

You need a midi clock running to untoggle it... Just dont put midi mode if there´s no midi clock running!

- the 'Attack' knobs on my unit seem to be reversed (i.e. full clockwise for minimum attack); is this the way it's designed? Again, not a big deal and I actually like the 'mirror' orientation of Attack and Release on a drum synth

That´s strange... I will check it. Should work normal

- would love to have a case of some sorts - I'm afraid I'm going to break it! ... I was a bit scared putting the knobs on, and think they're only half way on b/c they were way tight and pressing them any further could crack the board

Dont worry. You wont break it :D

- random and generative modes are great! ... I think this might have been mentioned a while back in this thread, but it would be nice if you could in the future reduce the # of notes produced (like in Pam's W/O), sometimes the sequences sound a bit busy.

Good idea. I´ll take nothe for the next update

- mine has an error when pressing the third button in edit mode - it toggles off all the LEDS of the relevant channel when it's pressed rather than registering as a step - might be hardware or firmware, but not a biggie

ALso quite strange. I will check it too. If you find more buggies just tell me for me to replace your OR

Overall, I'm very happy - the OR's a super cool drum synth! :)
Thank you so much for your quality feedback and ideas. I have answered inside the text :sb:

Leighzi88
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Leighzi88 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:46 am

You're welcome! :) ... It's a really lovely drum synth.

I'm finding it layers really well with my other analog drum machines, especially with channel 8 muted as that one is a bit unpredictable and I like my hats a bit more grounded anyway.

I can't wait for ability to sequence with MIDI, that will be amazing ... especially if note lengths can be implemented (not just triggers). This is something that the Pulsar 23 does really well, you can extend/shorten the length of each drum hit and hear the envelope effect.

I did a little video of my second jam tonight ... you'll see my attack knobs are fully clockwise :)

SphericalSound
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SphericalSound » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:05 pm

Leighzi88 wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:46 am
You're welcome! :) ... It's a really lovely drum synth.

I'm finding it layers really well with my other analog drum machines, especially with channel 8 muted as that one is a bit unpredictable and I like my hats a bit more grounded anyway.

I can't wait for ability to sequence with MIDI, that will be amazing ... especially if note lengths can be implemented (not just triggers). This is something that the Pulsar 23 does really well, you can extend/shorten the length of each drum hit and hear the envelope effect.

I did a little video of my second jam tonight ... you'll see my attack knobs are fully clockwise :)

Superb Jam. I think is my fav of the users that I have listen till date. Full of little gems. As I told you in the comments there´s a nee firmware update, maybe coming before xmas that will render the drummachine even more musical, wild and aphexitwinesque...

Thanks for sharing :sb:

what gives?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by what gives? » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:05 am

Could someone please tell me the dimensions of the main board? I want to see if i can make a eurorack conversion.

Bodo1967
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Bodo1967 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:19 pm

what gives? wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:05 am
Could someone please tell me the dimensions of the main board?
I just measured my OR: 228 mm width * 111 mm height (or 8.97" x 4.37", if you prefer inches over metric ;)).
Last edited by Bodo1967 on Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
... why buy it for $100 when you can build it yourself for $150?

what gives?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by what gives? » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:21 am

Thanks for the info! That height is a hair from not fitting within 3U rails. Ouff!

SphericalSound
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SphericalSound » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:34 pm

In any case it wont have a lot of sense as you want it to play it all and racked wont be as playable/ergonomic

A new firmware update is almost ready and is an absolute bonkers... I will be publishing probably during this week. Guys you are going to love it to bits...

what gives?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by what gives? » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:15 am

SphericalSound wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:34 pm
In any case it wont have a lot of sense as you want it to play it all and racked wont be as playable/ergonomic
It makes tons of sense if you put it in a skiff :party:
SphericalSound wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:34 pm
A new firmware update is almost ready and is an absolute bonkers... I will be publishing probably during this week. Guys you are going to love it to bits...
Sounds awesome!

SphericalSound
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SphericalSound » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:28 am

And a new firmware update 1.7

The updating from 1.3 to 1.6 is massive. It sounds behave way more musical and generative. I strongly advise to update. From 1.6 to 1.7 you get this:

-When the machine is running and is not in clear/lock/random/mute mode, if you keep pressed the keys from 1 to 8 you get temporary pattern variations.

-Now the OR is always listening to MIDI notes, it means that you can trigger the 8 channels from a midi keyboard even if is not slaved to midi clock.

You can update it by yourself here:

https://github.com/spherical-sound-soci ... ares/OR1.7

Or get a new microcontroller from mi store if you dont know how to do it

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:21 pm

Vamos :party: :sb:

SphericalSound
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SphericalSound » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:21 am

djthopa wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:21 pm
Vamos :party: :sb:
Gracias fiera!

Bodo1967
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Bodo1967 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:50 am

Just flashed the firmware on mine, went absolutely smoothly.

No whining from me this time ;), but just a big thanks :tu: !
... why buy it for $100 when you can build it yourself for $150?

SphericalSound
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SphericalSound » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:32 pm

Bodo1967 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:50 am
Just flashed the firmware on mine, went absolutely smoothly.

No whining from me this time ;), but just a big thanks :tu: !
That´s music for my ears :D.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”