PROGUE - Analog mono synth - Available!

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

BadPixel
Common Wiggler

Re: PROGUE - Analog mono synth - Available!

Post by BadPixel » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:14 am

JanneI wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 1:15 pm
BTW, the first run of Progue metal enclosures will get painted next week, and then they are off to the silkscreen process. We ended up choosing classic style colors: Black with white silkscreen and Cream White with black silkscreen. Price still TBA and available at our store hopefully in 2-3 weeks. Stay tuned!
Awesomesauce :yay: Waiting eagerly for these to show up in the shop :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:53 am

Just finished mine, this thing sounds great! Well done

Kipling
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kipling » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:58 am

Altitude909 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:53 am
Did you build it from a bare PCB and solder all SMT components yourself, or buy the PCB-A pre-soldered kit? Interested to know how people get on with the really tiny SMT parts and what method they use. I intend to hot-air solder mine and have some fresh lead-free solder paste on the way as my existing paste seems to have absorbed some moisture and causes some components to pop off the SMT test board when heated (it is about 4 years out of date!).

amonti
Common Wiggler

Post by amonti » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:42 am

Kipling wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:58 am
Altitude909 wrote:
Did you build it from a bare PCB and solder all SMT components yourself, or buy the PCB-A pre-soldered kit? Interested to know how people get on with the really tiny SMT parts and what method they use. I intend to hot-air solder mine and have some fresh lead-free solder paste on the way as my existing paste seems to have absorbed some moisture and causes some components to pop off the SMT test board when heated (it is about 4 years out of date!).
I hand-soldered everything except the 0.5mm pitch DAC, which I reflowed and still ended up with a bridge at the base of the chip - likely because I didn't want to make/buy a paste stencil so I applied paste by hand and added too much. Unless I mask with Kapton tape while working/re-working, I have a bad habit of using too much air and blowing resistors off, so hand-soldering with my 0.1mm tip is usually a better option for me. Also, I store Sn/Pb paste in the fridge to make it last a couple of years - much to my family's chagrin!

JanneI
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JanneI » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:43 am

Tools: If you buy a professional optical stereo microscope, I guarantee that you will instantly fall in love with it. A night and day difference in the workflow with SMD soldering.

JanneI
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JanneI » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:48 am

amonti wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:42 am
I hand-soldered everything except the 0.5mm pitch DAC, which I reflowed and still ended up with a bridge at the base of the chip - likely because I didn't want to make/buy a paste stencil so I applied paste by hand and added too much. Unless I mask with Kapton tape while working/re-working, I have a bad habit of using too much air and blowing resistors off, so hand-soldering with my 0.1mm tip is usually a better option for me. Also, I store Sn/Pb paste in the fridge to make it last a couple of years - much to my family's chagrin!
Yes, it's so easy to get too much paste on the pads when applying paste by hand, but the only thing that needs to be done is to use a bit of solder wick and voilá! And yes, paste likes to stay in the fridge.

Looking forward to hearing your finished units! :sb:

devinw1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by devinw1 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:28 am

JanneI wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:43 am
Tools: If you buy a professional optical stereo microscope, I guarantee that you will instantly fall in love with it. A night and day difference in the workflow with SMD soldering.
Indeed, those are nice. And the AmScope stuff is pretty damn decent. We use em at my work.

Kipling
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kipling » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:25 pm

Thanks everyone. I have an Andonstar AD409 lcd microscope which is very good.

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:49 pm

Kipling wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:58 am
Altitude909 wrote:
I just got the presoldered board, as much as I like doing stuff myself these days I dont have the time and just throwing on the PTH stuff in 15 minutes is a much more attractive prospect.

That being said, I would skip the paste and just do it by hand. Paste works great if you have a stencil, stencil press, and a reflow oven but hot air + paste is just going to make a big ol mess and you will spend more time fixing problems than you would doing it by hand. Water washable flux + fine wire solder and decent magnification is how I do boards by hand.
Last edited by Altitude909 on Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JanneI
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JanneI » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:16 pm

I've done quite a few Progue mainboards with stencils & paste and still it takes 5-6h to populate all the SMTs for the mainboard. The good thing about the stencils&paste technique is that it's relatively easy to populate multiple boards at once. So, it basically takes the exact same time to make 1 or 3-4 boards at once.

Once you can say "been there done that" about SMTs, there's no real reason not to choose the PCB-A route IF time is valuable. Don't get me wrong, I do like soldering, but as Altitude909 wrote, there are only so many hours in a day.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”