Mutable Instruments Branches

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

SunSpots
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SunSpots »

wellurban wrote:
SunSpots wrote:What else would be cool is
Clock 1 to sequencer
Sequencer running bass voice
Do not plug the sequencer gate out to your bass voice

Clock 1 to branches
Probability down
Probability gate out to bass voice

So the sequencer is always running, but the actual firing of the gate to trigger the voice is set to probability. Triggering voice is always on time, but which of the 8 notes will it play?
Ooh, I have to try this :-)

My Branches arrived just last week, and I've only just started playing with it, but I ended up with a lovely patch last night. Set the two outs from one half to the clock inputs of two sequencers, each of which drives its own osc. If they're both set to compatible scales/chords, the result is two interweaving melodies, sometimes one running ahead of the other, then retreating, for subtle evolutions. Drive the probability with a slow LFO or envelope and, and you get gradual shifts between drones and busy riffs.

A great little module!
Dang. That sounds awesome. I guess you got one of the prototypes right?
WTB: VULT Freak. MPC X good condition, rabid elephants natural gate, Instruo Arhbar, Make Noise Shared System B/G plus
Kent
Curator/Janitor/Zookeeper

Post by Kent »

This reminds me a bit of the functionality of the "tock" output on the Eardrill Pendulum/Ratchet. However, on the "Branches" one always has the 'dropped' Gate/Trigger available on one bus or the other. If I were still in Euro, I'd grab one of these as it is an fantastic solution for providing correlated yet filtered (dropped) pulses.
dan_k
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dan_k »

These look brilliant and I'd definitely be interested.

Have you decided if you're going ahead with mass production?
no-fi

Post by no-fi »

Damn! I hope this makes it to production!
wellurban
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wellurban »

SunSpots wrote:Dang. That sounds awesome. I guess you got one of the prototypes right?
Yes: it was a surprise addition to a large order, and a very welcome one :-)

It also works way up into audio rates, for various CV-able flavours of digital noise. And if one half is jumpered into flip-flop mode, it'll be a sub-octave divider at one extreme of p, unison at the other, with unique forms of chaos in between. And I've only just scratched the surface so far. A really useful little module! :tu:
infradead
leader of the secret trombones

Post by infradead »

color me interested as well
forget everything you know about sound, then turn the synth on. You can thank me later - slow_riot

cases: doepfer 6u and monster base

Tacoma Noise Rodeo
lessavyfav
Ultra Wiggler

Post by lessavyfav »

Is this come up already? I didn't see it- Is 12:00 50% random chance? I assume but would love if at exactly 12:00 it would work like a flip flop - a-b-a-b etc. Then the module could pull double duty as a flip-flop/ divider as well as coin tosser. Anything outside of 12 would work as planned.

Though as I type I wonder if the non-random 50% could also be interesting at different ratios... 9:00 would would be 75%:25%(/4) so you'd get an output like: a-a-a-b-a-a-b... And so on. Would this make cool divider like patterns? How would "weird" ratios respond? How would that sound at audio rate? Jumper mode? Who am I to start spitballing half baked ideas?
I'm Tim and I'm excited for modular synthesis! :nana:
SunSpots
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SunSpots »

lessavyfav wrote:Is this come up already? I didn't see it- Is 12:00 50% random chance? I assume but would love if at exactly 12:00 it would work like a flip flop - a-b-a-b etc. Then the module could pull double duty as a flip-flop/ divider as well as coin tosser. Anything outside of 12 would work as planned.

Though as I type I wonder if the non-random 50% could also be interesting at different ratios... 9:00 would would be 75%:25%(/4) so you'd get an output like: a-a-a-b-a-a-b... And so on. Would this make cool divider like patterns? How would "weird" ratios respond? How would that sound at audio rate? Jumper mode? Who am I to start spitballing half baked ideas?
The short answer is we need this module so we can play with it. :party:
WTB: VULT Freak. MPC X good condition, rabid elephants natural gate, Instruo Arhbar, Make Noise Shared System B/G plus
oscillateur
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oscillateur »

lessavyfav wrote:Is this come up already? I didn't see it- Is 12:00 50% random chance? I assume but would love if at exactly 12:00 it would work like a flip flop - a-b-a-b etc. Then the module could pull double duty as a flip-flop/ divider as well as coin tosser. Anything outside of 12 would work as planned.

It probably doesn't work like that. In your example you assume that consecutive outputs are correlated but they're not. Each time a trigger arrives, the output is chosen independently of what happened before.

Still, looks like a great little module, I'd probably be interested in one too (but not in the short term though, only when I'll move to a 6U case).
ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex »

wellurban wrote:
It also works way up into audio rates, for various CV-able flavours of digital noise. And if one half is jumpered into flip-flop mode, it'll be a sub-octave divider at one extreme of p, unison at the other, with unique forms of chaos in between. And I've only just scratched the surface so far. A really useful little module! :tu:
Quick video? Audio demo? :hihi:
All DivKid video series to be found here!
http://www.youtube.com/divkidvideo
Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler »

Branches can make all trigger sequencers more interesting.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.
joshuagoran
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joshuagoran »

Missing out on the proto run of this makes me watch MI's Facebook more closely now :hihi:
VanEck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by VanEck »

Still very much interested in this one... any updates or ETA on its release?
DISHEVELED -- PROMETHEUS BURNING

SysEx Dumpster Podcast - modular, gear, and other garbage
TheEngineer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by TheEngineer »

Interesting. Should be able to do a 4 way coin toss mode also or choose multiple coins to flip at the same time. Add a dollar bill mode up to 4 simultaneous coin flips if one out ends up with 1-4 coins it divides the gate so 1-4 beats are generated divisible into the clock time now that I would buy :bananaguitar: :bananaguitar:
wellurban
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wellurban »

ben_hex wrote:
wellurban wrote:
Quick video? Audio demo? :hihi:
I've been putting some together recently. Soon!
exmd
Common Wiggler

Post by exmd »

So there's a tiny machine in their that literally flips a coin? Is this a quarter? A nickel? :banana:
Nuuj
A$$ Wiggler

Post by Nuuj »

I like this, but how about extending this idea even more as an alternate SW for this module or just as another module that would use the same HW:

Instead of randomly picking one output or the other to output to, how about doing it as a pattern that has 8 steps.
Given 8 bits, there can only be 256 states. I would think 256 states should be doable for a Knob/CV input.
At each extreme of the Knob/CV one or the other output would still get all 8 triggers.
In between you could switch between the two outputs using all 256 8 step patterns arranged like thus:

All the 8 step sequence combinations of 1 of 8 triggers to output A, and 7 of 8 output B.
All the 8 step sequence combinations of 2 of 8 triggers to output A, and 6 of 8 output B.
All the 8 step sequence combinations of 3 of 8 triggers to output A, and 5 of 8 output B.
All the 8 step sequence combinations of 4 of 8 triggers to output A, and 4 of 8 output B.
All the 8 step sequence combinations of 5 of 8 triggers to output A, and 3 of 8 output B.
All the 8 step sequence combinations of 6 of 8 triggers to output A, and 2 of 8 output B.
All the 8 step sequence combinations of 7 of 8 triggers to output A, and 1 of 8 output B.

Some example states where X is on and O is off:

A:
XOOOOOOO
B:
OXXXXXXX

A:
OXOXOXOX
B:
XOXOXOXO

A:
OOOXXXXX
B:
XXXOOOOO

A:
OOXOOXXO
B:
XXOXXOOX

Of course one can do this with an 8 step gate sequencer and a switch now, but you can't switch between all 256 possible 8 step sequences via CV.

https://soundcloud.com/r-nuuja
http://www.facebook.com/are.nuuja
http://rnuuja.tumblr.com/

vqlk: "...so seriously - this a forum dedicated to discussing each other's really lame and un-extreme modular synths??!"
malnatim
Wiggling with Experience

Post by malnatim »

is there any news about this module? is the 2nd batch coming soon? seems like there's plenty of interest.
EGA
Common Wiggler

Post by EGA »

Many of the MI stuff seems like it will remain in kinda boutique domain. I'm affraid they can't keep up with the huge demand. But that's just my thought. However, I really love almost all their stuff and hope for a day, when my desired MI module will be on stock and at the same time I'll have money to order it :]
Soundcloud // Facebook

WTB: Doepfer A-102 Diode LPF
Rigo
Chief Spam Killer

Post by Rigo »

Still want this ...
malnatim
Wiggling with Experience

Post by malnatim »

Rigo wrote:Still want this ...
me too.
Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler »

EGA wrote:Many of the MI stuff seems like it will remain in kinda boutique domain. I'm affraid they can't keep up with the huge demand. But that's just my thought.
You obviously don't know what you're talking about. MI stuff get produced at a steady pace and are available periodically as most modules are (re: Intellijel, Makenoise and others). Olivier is expanding his line of production and at the same time looking into new manufacturing prospects to provide a quicker supply. I understand you're expressing your personal thought on the subject but it's an uneducated one and one that can cause a raucous (and has caused a raucous in the past) with no good cause.

Modules become available when they become available. Please refrain from expressing assumptions that can make fellow members panic. :lol:
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.
exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper »

Those initial small runs are essentially betas, sent out in an initial small batch for feedback purposes. Then the bigger run gets made. Other companies do this as well, but it's usually closed to a few select people.

I think it's great that Olivier opens this small run up for other to have a chance to have input to this stage of module development.

Once the main run starts, there are plenty to go around. Braids is on what, it's 3rd major run now?
______________________________________________________________________________________________

FT/S US only: MPD224, Traktor S2
tsunamisucks
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tsunamisucks »

i love this mod does random panning or whatever it is
would love to buy one, the price is also great :hail:

more rho knobs!
Rigo
Chief Spam Killer

Re: Mutable Instruments Branches

Post by Rigo »

pichenettes on the MI website wrote:Received a batch of pre-production Branches. Gross assembly mistake, sent back to the assembly house for repair :-/
So I'll keep on waiting :sadbanana:

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”