Mutable Instruments Branches

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper »

Just use the DHL. Its super fast. I get packages from Olivier in a couple of days. That's worth paying a little more. If you want to add to the value of the shipping, buy another module! ;)
______________________________________________________________________________________________

FT/S US only: MPD224, Traktor S2
ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex »

I thought you meant sending something from someone or somewhere else stevenb. I've had everything next day from Olivier, even sending/ordering at 3pm in the afternoon it's getting there next day. I know he gets things to the US in less than a week. Well worth it.

I realised I read it wrong as well, I did say within the EU. Been £20 or so sending things to the US but doubt it's anywhere near as fast.
All DivKid video series to be found here!
http://www.youtube.com/divkidvideo
david_r
Veteran Wiggler

Post by david_r »

These are now in stock at the usual channels in the US. Just picked one up! ben_hex, it was your video that actually gave me the extra push I needed to make the purchase. I REALLY like how it functions with the mutant hihats. I think I will need to pick up that module as well in the near future!
John M
Learning to Wiggle

Post by John M »

Hi guys,

Just a quick question for the Branches users... was wondering if you could help.

Is the gate/trigger outputted by Outputs A and B equal to the 'high' length/pulse width of the input gate/trigger?

For example, if I you use a gate with a shortened pulse width (say from the SSF Propagate) will it output the same pulse width from the outputs?

Cheers,

John
theflyingfridge
Veteran Wiggler

Post by theflyingfridge »

John M wrote:Hi guys,

Just a quick question for the Branches users... was wondering if you could help.

Is the gate/trigger outputted by Outputs A and B equal to the 'high' length/pulse width of the input gate/trigger?

For example, if I you use a gate with a shortened pulse width (say from the SSF Propagate) will it output the same pulse width from the outputs?

Cheers,

John
Yah. I'm actually wondering the same thing. Also, I have a question in regards to voltage. It seems - and I just noticed this after having the module for nearly 6 months now - that there is a voltage drop when running a gate/trigger through branches. I swapped out my clock dividers/multipliers for a pam's workout recently and that may have something to do with it. I A/B'd it the other night. I wish I had a multimeter to see how drastic a drop it is, but when triggering Maths with Pamela's Workout there is a difference for sure.

Has anyone else found this to be the case?
bennelong.bicyclist
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bennelong.bicyclist »

The specifications state that the output level is 5V for HIGH, and obviously 0V for LOW. The desciption suggests that gate duration is preserved in the output. However, why not ask such technical support questions on the Mutable Instruments forum, where you will get a prompt and definitive answer from Olivier Gillet himself?
pichenettes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pichenettes »

Unlike VC-switch modules, the input signal in Branches does not flow through the module - instead, the module detects whether the input signal is low/high, and resynthesize a new signal from scratch, with a 5V high, 0V low level - irrespectively of the level of the input signal. That's why only digital signals can be processed through the module.

The pulse duration is preserved - unless you use the "latch" option in which the output will stay at +5V until the other output is activated.
theflyingfridge
Veteran Wiggler

Post by theflyingfridge »

pichenettes wrote:Unlike VC-switch modules, the input signal in Branches does not flow through the module - instead, the module detects whether the input signal is low/high, and resynthesize a new signal from scratch, with a 5V high, 0V low level - irrespectively of the level of the input signal. That's why only digital signals can be processed through the module.

The pulse duration is preserved - unless you use the "latch" option in which the output will stay at +5V until the other output is activated.
Olivier, thank you for the clarification. That's a good bit of info on the Latch mode as well. I havent used latch mode very much yet, but will give it some time in the future.

I just checked in the manual and confirmed that Pamela's Workout puts out a 0-5v trigger, so I will have to do some more investigating to see what it is that I'm actually running into. If both modules put out a 5v trigger, then technically it shouldn't have a different effect on an envelope if branches retains pulse duration.
John M
Learning to Wiggle

Post by John M »

theflyingfridge wrote:
pichenettes wrote:Unlike VC-switch modules, the input signal in Branches does not flow through the module - instead, the module detects whether the input signal is low/high, and resynthesize a new signal from scratch, with a 5V high, 0V low level - irrespectively of the level of the input signal. That's why only digital signals can be processed through the module.

Olivier, thank you for the clarification. That's a good bit of info on the Latch mode as well. I havent used latch mode very much yet, but will give it some time in the future.

I just checked in the manual and confirmed that Pamela's Workout puts out a 0-5v trigger, so I will have to do some more investigating to see what it is that I'm actually running into. If both modules put out a 5v trigger, then technically it shouldn't have a different effect on an envelope if branches retains pulse duration.
Great. Thanks for your help, guys. I look forward to getting one of these. I think we need more simple but handy random operation modules like this.

Cheers.
reodjectz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by reodjectz »

After some use with no issues (that I noticed) each channel of my branches is now have the same problem. I wonder if I have just never noticed and I have a defective one or I have some how entered some secret mode.

ANYWAY - even with the knob at full CW I get about 50/50 out A or B for both halves of the module instead of 100% out B. Full CCW I get 100% out A as I should... I have testes with a CV at 'p' but get the same results.

Any one else? or should I be sending this back to Olivier?
pichenettes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pichenettes »

reodjectz wrote:After some use with no issues (that I noticed) each channel of my branches is now have the same problem. I wonder if I have just never noticed and I have a defective one or I have some how entered some secret mode.

ANYWAY - even with the knob at full CW I get about 50/50 out A or B for both halves of the module instead of 100% out B. Full CCW I get 100% out A as I should... I have testes with a CV at 'p' but get the same results.

Any one else? or should I be sending this back to Olivier?
Have you read the manual???
reodjectz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by reodjectz »

BAH - I was in toggle mode....

Thanks.
Last edited by reodjectz on Sun May 17, 2015 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pichenettes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pichenettes »

No printed manual came with the module?
reodjectz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by reodjectz »

pichenettes wrote:No printed manual came with the module?
I have the paper manual. All my fault. skipped over toggle mode some how.
lrclazer
Common Wiggler

Post by lrclazer »

Just sharing a quick track where Branches added that wee bit of fairy dust to make things interesting. Love the module ...

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/users/27949608" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
VanEck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by VanEck »

I was fortunate to get a Branches from the very batch, and have been using it in nearly every patch since... had an idea yesterday though that I would like to propose for future firmware revisions if any, or at elast inquire if it could be possible:

Currently you can have 1 gate in trigger both halfs of Branches... but it would be cool if there was a mode where both halfs could function as one, where as you would only have 1 out of the potential 4 outputs active at a time. Would this be possible?
DISHEVELED -- PROMETHEUS BURNING

SysEx Dumpster Podcast - modular, gear, and other garbage
DMR
Veteran Wiggler

Post by DMR »

VanEck wrote:I was fortunate to get a Branches from the very batch, and have been using it in nearly every patch since... had an idea yesterday though that I would like to propose for future firmware revisions if any, or at elast inquire if it could be possible:

Currently you can have 1 gate in trigger both halfs of Branches... but it would be cool if there was a mode where both halfs could function as one, where as you would only have 1 out of the potential 4 outputs active at a time. Would this be possible?
Even without a firmware mod, what about patching one of the top-half outputs into the bottom input? This would only give you three outputs, but for example setting the top <-> bottom connection at 2/3 odds and the bottom half at 1/2 odds would give you three equiprobable (1/3) and exclusive outputs.
VanEck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by VanEck »

DMR wrote:
VanEck wrote:I was fortunate to get a Branches from the very batch, and have been using it in nearly every patch since... had an idea yesterday though that I would like to propose for future firmware revisions if any, or at elast inquire if it could be possible:

Even without a firmware mod, what about patching one of the top-half outputs into the bottom input? This would only give you three outputs, but for example setting the top <-> bottom connection at 2/3 odds and the bottom half at 1/2 odds would give you three equiprobable (1/3) and exclusive outputs.
yes indeed, i do this often already, and while doing it i started to think about how convenient it would be in these situations to have a mode by holding in the button which could make it a 1-to-4, which is what inspired my post.

I suppose what I really need is just more Branches...

DISHEVELED -- PROMETHEUS BURNING

SysEx Dumpster Podcast - modular, gear, and other garbage
pichenettes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pichenettes »

Short and long presses on the buttons already have functions, and there's no visual feedback in which mode the module currently is, so it'll start getting very hard to add even more alternative modes/functions.
Widy75
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Widy75 »

maybe interest for some
i try to add some stuff which collected as request in some forums posts
still in beta phase ...but im looking forward ... i could not find any more bugs after a jam night ... final release maybe this weekend .... if any find some bugs let me know
firmware for branches
- 16 step fixed patterrns to select ( some acts as clock divider, some from shruthi .. 32 in sum )
- 0-16 steps euclid pattern generator
- auto reset internal sequencer so no patch change is needed ( but with given fixed reset time )
- channel could be linked out of each overrides hardware in of the other
- toggle latch and a toggle v2 could be combined with random mode , single channel pattern mode, or euclid pattern mode

finally it was just a fun project, to jump into avr coding ...i did this in shool 20 years ago .. so time to jump into this again and do some bit shifting :)

https://github.com/Widy75/Eurorack-Buil ... ster/erbse
br widy
BenA718
Ultra Wiggler

Post by BenA718 »

I picked up Branches yesterday after searching for a logic module to add to my skiff. (Bought mine from Control in Brooklyn) Mutable Instruments has the nicest packaging and branding I’ve run across yet - colourful slip cover, little figurine, manual printed on card stock, and decal ... the module itself is just tons of fun! I am experimenting using it with the Make Noise Function and WMD Modbox.
SCOOBA_TANK
Common Wiggler

Post by SCOOBA_TANK »

BenA718 wrote:I picked up Branches yesterday after searching for a logic module to add to my skiff. (Bought mine from Control in Brooklyn) Mutable Instruments has the nicest packaging and branding I’ve run across yet - colourful slip cover, little figurine, manual printed on card stock, and decal ... the module itself is just tons of fun! I am experimenting using it with the Make Noise Function and WMD Modbox.
You're going to love it! I put in my rack to add a little bit of flavor from time to time. But now it's become almost an all the time staple in my patches. Super fun little addition to any system.
mgscheue
Ultra Wiggler

Post by mgscheue »

Branches is probably one of my most-used modules. I can almost always think of a way to use it in a patch.
BenA718
Ultra Wiggler

Post by BenA718 »

SCOOBA_TANK wrote:
BenA718 wrote:I picked up Branches yesterday after searching for a logic module to add to my skiff. (Bought mine from Control in Brooklyn) Mutable Instruments has the nicest packaging and branding I’ve run across yet - colourful slip cover, little figurine, manual printed on card stock, and decal ... the module itself is just tons of fun! I am experimenting using it with the Make Noise Function and WMD Modbox.
You're going to love it! I put in my rack to add a little bit of flavor from time to time. But now it's become almost an all the time staple in my patches. Super fun little addition to any system.
I recorded my first patch using Branches yesterday. It alsmost seems like cheating lol.
SCOOBA_TANK
Common Wiggler

Post by SCOOBA_TANK »

BenA718 wrote:
SCOOBA_TANK wrote:
I recorded my first patch using Branches yesterday. It alsmost seems like cheating lol.
Haha! A little. If that’s the case, then it’s never felt so rewarding to cheat. :hihi:

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”