Mutable Instruments Branches

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

BenA718
Ultra Wiggler

Post by BenA718 »

SCOOBA_TANK wrote:
BenA718 wrote:
SCOOBA_TANK wrote:
BenA718 wrote:I picked up Branches yesterday after searching for a logic module to add to my skiff. (Bought mine from Control in Brooklyn) Mutable Instruments has the nicest packaging and branding I’ve run across yet - colourful slip cover, little figurine, manual printed on card stock, and decal ... the module itself is just tons of fun! I am experimenting using it with the Make Noise Function and WMD Modbox.
You're going to love it! I put in my rack to add a little bit of flavor from time to time. But now it's become almost an all the time staple in my patches. Super fun little addition to any system.
I recorded my first patch using Branches yesterday. It alsmost seems like cheating lol.
Haha! A little. If that’s the case, then it’s never felt so rewarding to cheat.
:hihi:
Agreed! :D

Here is my first patch using Branches, also my first live modular live jam (no overdubs or post editing, viewtopic.php?p=2829345#2829345

Branches is distributing notes between two VCOs.
MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine »

^ Beautiful track. :guinness:
BenA718
Ultra Wiggler

Post by BenA718 »

MindMachine wrote:^ Beautiful track. :guinness:
Thanks!
BenA718
Ultra Wiggler

Post by BenA718 »

I keep finding new uses for this module; combined with the Make Noise Function you can trigger all sorts of wackiness. :)
SCOOBA_TANK
Common Wiggler

Post by SCOOBA_TANK »

BenA718 wrote:I keep finding new uses for this module; combined with the Make Noise Function you can trigger all sorts of wackiness. :)
I bet that's an awesome combination. Lately, I've been using it to trigger my STS for some spoken word samples. It's pretty fun to let the patch run through the normal cycles, then have small instances of dialog or vocals come in to fill space. I'll also run both outputs from branches into a voice and and then STS, routing both into DLD in a really slow delay which gives a really ethereal feel to the vocals. But i digress. Branches rules.
BenA718
Ultra Wiggler

Post by BenA718 »

SCOOBA_TANK wrote:
BenA718 wrote:I keep finding new uses for this module; combined with the Make Noise Function you can trigger all sorts of wackiness. :)
I bet that's an awesome combination. Lately, I've been using it to trigger my STS for some spoken word samples. It's pretty fun to let the patch run through the normal cycles, then have small instances of dialog or vocals come in to fill space. I'll also run both outputs from branches into a voice and and then STS, routing both into DLD in a really slow delay which gives a really ethereal feel to the vocals. But i digress. Branches rules.
Not at all, I love hearing about other patch options!
peterpanderretter
Common Wiggler

Post by peterpanderretter »

Is there any slimmer alternative to branches on the market?
Sweetfiltersweep
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Sweetfiltersweep »

peterpanderretter wrote:Is there any slimmer alternative to branches on the market?
Try this Ladik module. Not exactly the same functionality as Branches,but definitely slimmer: http://ladik.ladik.eu/?page_id=1649
pre post eros
Common Wiggler

Post by pre post eros »

Sweetfiltersweep wrote:
peterpanderretter wrote:Is there any slimmer alternative to branches on the market?
Try this Ladik module. Not exactly the same functionality as Branches,but definitely slimmer: http://ladik.ladik.eu/?page_id=1649
There's also the Twiigs from Michigan Synth Works. It's slimmer in that it packs two Branches into 8hp, if you find Branches sufficiently useful to want additional Branches to branch from: https://michigansynthworks.com/collecti ... oulli-gate

It is a solid build, and the slider/jack arrangement is nicely ergonomic as well.
b9
Common Wiggler

Post by b9 »

pre post eros wrote:
Sweetfiltersweep wrote:
There's also the Twiigs from Michigan Synth Works. It's slimmer in that it packs two Branches into 8hp, if you find Branches sufficiently useful to want additional Branches to branch from: https://michigansynthworks.com/collecti ... oulli-gate

It is a solid build, and the slider/jack arrangement is nicely ergonomic as well.
My twigs has been suffering some neglect. I can understand and utilize the gate/trigger probability. Does it pass through cv signals in latch mode?
booyip
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Mutable Instruments Branches

Post by booyip »

Just received a DIY version and the top channel is not working correctly. At fully Clockwise I get a perfect A-B-A-B-A-B output (no probability) when should be just B all the time. At 12'o'clock I get random A's and Bs about equally, and fully CCW it sends just A every time so they look like they are working as expected. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this? I have basic soldering skills, solder wick and reflow station, but nothing which would facilitate re-flashing firmwares.
joeSeggiola
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joeSeggiola »

booyip wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:00 am At fully Clockwise I get a perfect A-B-A-B-A-B output (no probability) when should be just B all the time.
That is the expected behavior when Toggle mode is enabled, so my guess is that you accidently enabled it with the top-right button (try pressing it again), or there's something wrong in the wiring/soldering of that button.
booyip
Learning to Wiggle

Post by booyip »

joeSeggiola wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:59 am
booyip wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:00 am At fully Clockwise I get a perfect A-B-A-B-A-B output (no probability) when should be just B all the time.
That is the expected behavior when Toggle mode is enabled, so my guess is that you accidently enabled it with the top-right button (try pressing it again), or there's something wrong in the wiring/soldering of that button.
Thanks but definitely not toggle mode enabled as tried it both ways. I'll check the soldering for any obvious issues.... thanks :tu:
joeSeggiola
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joeSeggiola »

booyip wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:48 am Thanks but definitely not toggle mode enabled as tried it both ways. I'll check the soldering for any obvious issues.... thanks :tu:
Ah, ok. Maybe you aren't able to exit Toggle mode because the button is not working (broken, or soldered badly). Are you able to enter/exit Latch mode by long-pressing it?
booyip
Learning to Wiggle

Post by booyip »

joeSeggiola wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:11 pm Ah, ok. Maybe you aren't able to exit Toggle mode because the button is not working (broken, or soldered badly). Are you able to enter/exit Latch mode by long-pressing it?
Latch mode works fine. However, just re-read the description on the very first post from Emilie... looks like the top channel is operating in the "complex alternative mode" which was designed to be set by a Jumper, however no jumpers are visibile on the board. I suspect I may be able to solder a wire somewhere to force this to the original mode like the bottom channel, or if not am looking at a re-flash. Here's the description of the mode which matches the behaviour I have 100%...
There is a slightly more complex alternative behaviour in which the coin toss decides between between the "stay on the same output as previously" and "switch to the other output". Fully counter-clockwise and it stays stuck on the same output, fully clockwise and it moves back and forth between the two outputs like a 1/2 divider. At the moment the choice is set by a jumper on the back.

...One jumper per channel - by default channel 1 has the first behaviour (decide on an which output), channel 2 has the second behaviour (decide whether we change or stay the same)...
No idea if this is how the final model was developed (with jumpers?) as mine is a clone anyway. Am going to keep it and see if I can find a way to switch modes.
joeSeggiola
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joeSeggiola »

That sounds exactly like a description of the Toggle mode as I know it. Maybe it was initially implemented with a jumper, before using the button for both toggle and latch in the final model?

Can you post a link to that Emilie's post you're referring to?

If your hypothesis is correct, maybe the person who built your unit simply closed the jumper with a solder blob (with is an alternative, and semi-permanent way to do jumper). Do you see a solder blob somewhere on the PCB?
booyip
Learning to Wiggle

Post by booyip »

My bad... you are exactly right - that is Toggle Mode and it actually all works fine. I was just holding the button to change to change to Latch mode, not just pressing to switch toggle mode in and out. Just tested and all working fine! Thanks for sticking with me - very happy now. I had read the manual just not carfeully enough :roll:
joeSeggiola
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joeSeggiola »

booyip wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:41 am Thanks for sticking with me - very happy now.
No problem 👍 Glad to help!

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”