Mutable Instruments Branches

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

pichenettes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Mutable Instruments Branches

Post by pichenettes »

Hey everybody...

I've just finished bringing to life a cool little utility module today.

It's called Branches aka the Dual Bernoulli gate.

(Modular grid)

As the name says, it has two Bernoulli gates. What do they do? Upon receiving a trigger/gate (on the IN input), a virtual coin is tossed. Depending on the outcome, the trigger/gate is sent to OUT A or OUT B. The fun is that you can bias the coin with the potentiometer (or a CV). Fully counter-clockwise and it'll always be routed to A; fully clockwise and it'll always be routed to B; and everything in-between.

There is a slightly more complex alternative behaviour in which the coin toss decides between between the "stay on the same output as previously" and "switch to the other output". Fully counter-clockwise and it stays stuck on the same output, fully clockwise and it moves back and forth between the two outputs like a 1/2 divider. At the moment the choice is set by a jumper on the back.

Not sure if I have this mass-produced (price would be in the $90-100/ 90-100€ range). I have 7 boards left that I might finish building and sell later.

Thoughts?
London Modular
Common Wiggler

Post by London Modular »

I like it, could see many uses for it...price is super too...

Simon
RetBody
Common Wiggler

Post by RetBody »

I can think of some interesting things to do with it, for $100 or less I'd grab one.
RetBody
Common Wiggler

Post by RetBody »

Are the behavior jumpers per channel, or one jumper for both?
fisherking111
Veteran Wiggler

Post by fisherking111 »

very interesting!

Sounds like a very non-vanilla take on a very useful utility module.

I think fans of Doepfer's a151 (of which there are many) will love this!
pichenettes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pichenettes »

One jumper per channel - by default channel 1 has the first behaviour (decide on an which output), channel 2 has the second behaviour (decide whether we change or stay the same).
ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex »

Not something that I have uses for but a great idea and price.
All DivKid video series to be found here!
http://www.youtube.com/divkidvideo
elektrokick
Wiggling with Experience

Post by elektrokick »

Very cool! I immediately got the urge to patch it up with an optomix for some random hard-panned stereo bongos.
Getting wiggly with it.
microfauna
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by microfauna »

Looks to be a good modular building block for probability related patches.
I really like the look of it.
bartleby
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bartleby »

weell, as i've already pointed out over at the mi forums, i have to confess that this one is actually the first mi module that i don't quite see the point of.

apart from that “stay on the same output as previously” mode, what does this do that you couldn't easily achieve with some of the most basic utility modules everybody already has in their systems, like:
noise source (a118) + s&h (a148) + offset/attenuverter/polarizer (a183-2, cv tools, shades) + vc switch (a150) + maybe a vca?

is it really worth investing 90 euros and 6hp? :despair:

or maybe i'm missing something and just don't understand this module's functionality?
Last edited by bartleby on Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gde
anti-zarzutzki

Post by gde »

I used to patch something similar up by running a vco at a high frequency into the data input of a flip flop (or s&h). The pulsewidth control becomes the probability control.
LOL
bartleby
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bartleby »

@gde: ah, that would be even simpler than what i had in mind...
Last edited by bartleby on Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stinktier86
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stinktier86 »

Actually, this is rather the sort of module i actually need and thought of how to achieve with as few modules/investment as possible. This one nails it. :woah:

Please, tell me where to wire the money if you make some more. :guinness:
microfauna
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by microfauna »

bartleby wrote:weell, as i've already pointed out over at the mi forums, i have to confess that this one is actually the first mi module that i don't quite see the point of.

apart from that “stay on the same output as previously” mode, what does this do that you couldn't easily achieve with some of the most basic utility modules everybody already has in their systems, like:
noise source (a118) + s&h (a148) + offset/attenuverter/polarizer (a183-2, cv tools, shades) + vc switch (a150) + maybe a vca?

is it really worth investing 90 euros and 6hp? :despair:

or maybe i'm missing something and just don't understand this module's functionality?
The basic function can be achieved by other means, but maybe the immediacy of having the function x2 ready to roll in a compact form is quite appealing. The extra trick it has is also a good one.
microfauna
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by microfauna »

gde wrote:I used to patch something similar up by running a vco at a high frequency into the data input of a flip flop (or s&h). The pulsewidth control becomes the probability control.
I've found with this patch the VCO frequency needs to be modulated if the output is being sampled by a regular clock. Otherwise you hear a pattern due to fixed relationship of the VCO and clock
bartleby
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bartleby »

microfauna wrote:maybe the immediacy of having the function x2 ready to roll in a compact form is quite appealing.
it appears to be to some. not to me though. i don't think i would need this kind of probabilistic gate often enough to justify a dedicated module. when i do want one, it think i'll just patch it up with what i've got anyway.
so, each to his or her own, i guess... :)
pichenettes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pichenettes »

what does this do that you couldn't easily achieve with some of the most basic utility modules everybody already has in their systems
The same argument would rule out sequencers too - they could be achieved with A-161s, A-138s and switches.

The point is to have a higher level building block for probabilistic/generative patching - that can be taken alongside a sequencer or trigger generator, without taking too much space, to add a flavor of randomness to it.
bartleby
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bartleby »

pichenettes wrote:The same argument would rule out sequencers too - they could be achieved with A-161s, A-138s and switches.
true. i actually did that for quite a while until i got my first dedicated sequencer module...

i think i do use a sequencer more frequently than a probabilistic gate, though.

anyway, i guess it's just not for everyone. some - like myself - prefer to patch up more complex functions from a few, very basic modules, others prefer more integrated complex modules...
narwhal
Ultra Wiggler

Post by narwhal »

i really like the look of this. :tu:
elektrokick
Wiggling with Experience

Post by elektrokick »

Stinktier86 wrote: Please, tell me where to wire the money if you make some more. :guinness:
+1
Getting wiggly with it.
joshuagoran
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joshuagoran »

I'd love one, I might even like to take Bartleby's share :razz:

I hope you don't use drum modules if you don't like things that can be approximated by combinations of other modules! :)
mckenic

Post by mckenic »

If I didnt have a Shortbus & 2x fonik Seqswitches I'd be all over this. At the moment, although I have to do it manually, I'd be duplicating.

Still - brilliant idea IMHO!
stainers
mopoetrytion

Post by stainers »

I hate to be that guy, but, I would love to see these small utilities you've got going in 4HP, particularly the Shades :)
The knobs don't need tweaking with all the time and even so it's still perfectly comfortable on something like the ma Mix
madcap
Cactophile

Post by madcap »

I can think of a few uses.

pretty cool
SunSpots
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SunSpots »

pichenettes wrote:
what does this do that you couldn't easily achieve with some of the most basic utility modules everybody already has in their systems
The same argument would rule out sequencers too - they could be achieved with A-161s, A-138s and switches.

The point is to have a higher level building block for probabilistic/generative patching - that can be taken alongside a sequencer or trigger generator, without taking too much space, to add a flavor of randomness to it.
This is exactly why I would buy one if you're selling them and probably never sell it. I'd put it right next to my trigger riot and grids.
WTB: VULT Freak. MPC X good condition, rabid elephants natural gate, Instruo Arhbar, Make Noise Shared System B/G plus

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”