audio damage grainshift in use

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
Knights Who Say Neve
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Knights Who Say Neve »

L.C.O. wrote:
felixer wrote:
L.C.O. wrote:changed a bit.
now, aesthetically somewhere between gieskes and mungo
any chance of changing the pots to something that is bolted to the frontpanel? wobbly knobs are a major turn-off for me ... but the sounds are nice so i'm willing to do some work if possible ...
You would need to desolder the existing ones. But i don't think it's worth the trouble. I don't find the knobs to be that wobbly. It could also be that i drilled the holes slightly smaller than the original panels.
But am not sure if that matters.
I am thinking of getting some washers to reduce the panel hole size. That should cut down on the wobble. I'll let you know how that goes...those pots are not going to last with the shafts flexing side to side like that (IMO).
digidandy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by digidandy »

Just to weigh in with a IMHO: I don't find the knobs problematic at all. I was expecting some sort of wonky screw-loose-fest when receiving the Grainshift, but haven't given the matter a second thought after installing the module.
My latest release, including vinyl!

Kent
Curator/Janitor/Zookeeper

Post by Kent »

You guys have seen this, right? James has done videos for 3 of the 4 AD modules.

[video][/video]
mapmap
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mapmap »

digidandy wrote:Just to weigh in with a IMHO: I don't find the knobs problematic at all. I was expecting some sort of wonky screw-loose-fest when receiving the Grainshift, but haven't given the matter a second thought after installing the module.
Same here.
I have the grainshift and the freqshift and i haven't thought of it at all while using then. Obviously panel mounted pots are preferable but it doesn't mean they are the only useful option.
sygor
Common Wiggler

Post by sygor »

Kent wrote:You guys have seen this, right? James has done videos for 3 of the 4 AD modules.
Oh man, this vid just sold 2 more modules unless I sober up again before i order! I love the swarmy e340 like sound of it.
ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex »

sygor wrote: Oh man, this vid just sold 2 more modules unless I sober up again before i order! I love the swarmy e340 like sound of it.
Muff Wiggler and alcohol is a dangerous mix!
All DivKid video series to be found here!
http://www.youtube.com/divkidvideo
ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius »

kicks and hi hats and hi hat like things going through the grainshift w/some subtle modulation of pitch and size make for really cool sounding drums..

even all mixed together i'm getting some really great sounds and it really adds some dynamics and liveliness to the drum thing i have going on and totally changes all the transients to something i really enjoy but still the kick comes through nicely.. even a puff of air type kick just takes on a whole new life.
ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex »

ignatius wrote:kicks and hi hats and hi hat like things going through the grainshift w/some subtle modulation of pitch and size make for really cool sounding drums..

even all mixed together i'm getting some really great sounds and it really adds some dynamics and liveliness to the drum thing i have going on and totally changes all the transients to something i really enjoy but still the kick comes through nicely.. even a puff of air type kick just takes on a whole new life.
Audio?
ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius »

ben_hex wrote:
ignatius wrote:kicks and hi hats and hi hat like things going through the grainshift w/some subtle modulation of pitch and size make for really cool sounding drums..

Audio?
i'll try and throw some stuff up on soundcloud soon. i've recorded about an hours worth of modular jamming in the last 2 days so i need to find a couple good chunks to share.
ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex »

Cheers ignatius
sloth713
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sloth713 »

Just tried to run some Dio through my grainshift and it turns out that nothing can make Dio sound more "satanic" than they already do :flamey: :headbang: :flamey: :rock: :flamey: :fap: :flamey:
orangehexagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by orangehexagon »

Can someone do a quick demo of the grainshift on drums? Preferably the bd909 / hats 909 ?

Danke!
sloth713
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sloth713 »

I made a fun discovery today, if you feed 15kHz to 20kHz signal into the grainshift, it acts like a crazy cosmic/metallic sample and hold.

The pitch effects the brightness of the S&H effect
The chaos effects the depth of the S&H effect
and the size effects the rate of the S&H
ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex »

Very nice sloth713 liking the sound of that.
Frankenzappa
Common Wiggler

Post by Frankenzappa »

I never heard the taylor swift demo :cry: anybody got it?
warnton
Wiggling with Experience

Post by warnton »

neither did I ... very curious! someone???
“ It should never be forgotten that the human mind is the final link in any audio chain.” Rob Hordijk
exportexport
Common Wiggler

Post by exportexport »

the only negative point on grainshift i found was that there's no dry/wet button. so if it is patched you always hear the process. there's no such thing like a 0 position. but its a great module when you like that.
sloth713
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sloth713 »

exportexport by just using a mult and mixer you can simply control the wet/dry mix. Also if you throw a vca in before the mixer you can get automated control over the wet/dry mix.
exportexport
Common Wiggler

Post by exportexport »

aight, thanks mate!
felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer »

exportexport wrote:the only negative point on grainshift i found was that there's no dry/wet button.
interesting point ... i don't know of any vcf that has a bypass switch ... would def come in handy in some cases!
don't need midi, don't need keys, just want knobs and cables (all together now ;-)
Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 »

which is the Audio Damage VST equivalent to Grainshift ?
thought there is one but can´t figure it out https://www.audiodamage.com/collections/software
longtime Euro-Grainshift user ;)

need it exactly for this ;)
For sale:
Dave Mech
Common Wiggler

Re: audio damage grainshift in use

Post by Dave Mech »

Such a great sound. Unfortunately it’s discontinued and no second hand modules to be found. Does anybody know a good alternative to this module?

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”