audio damage grainshift in use

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler »

Hey man, that wasn't a demo, that was a shift in modular history.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.
DonKartofflo
The knob-twisting Hive Mind

Post by DonKartofflo »

does the pitch input track 1v/oct?
Nelson Baboon wrote:Beware of people who tell you to smile.
WTB (EU): Mungo d0, c1
ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius »

DonKartofflo wrote:does the pitch input track 1v/oct?
the pitch input is a CV input. it's for modulation of the pitch parameter. so it expects a CV input w/in a certain range.. as most if not all CV inputs do.

per radiokoala in the other thread

viewtopic.php?t=93028&start=230
V/oct = 1v spans one octave. On Grainshift effective range is 4 octaves (2 up, 2 down) when using the CV input, and it will respond to -5V/+5V signals. 10V/4oct = surely not. You could say it's 2.5v/oct

:tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:
nearly ghost
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nearly ghost »

:yay: Thanks for the demo's! Very interested in these modules now!
Kaput
merry prankster

Post by Kaput »

There was something beautiful about the timing in CR's Taylor demo... at around 0:49 where it just... well, I spat a mouthful of tea, basically. :yay:

Great demo.
Kent
Curator/Janitor/Zookeeper

Post by Kent »

richard wrote:Only just heard the Taylor Swift. Greatest demo ever in history since this one

never forget
Wørd. I sure do miss ole DougCL 'round these parts.
DonKartofflo
The knob-twisting Hive Mind

Post by DonKartofflo »

ignatius wrote:
DonKartofflo wrote:does the pitch input track 1v/oct?
the pitch input is a CV input. it's for modulation of the pitch parameter. so it expects a CV input w/in a certain range.. as most if not all CV inputs do.

per radiokoala in the other thread

viewtopic.php?t=93028&start=230
V/oct = 1v spans one octave. On Grainshift effective range is 4 octaves (2 up, 2 down) when using the CV input, and it will respond to -5V/+5V signals. 10V/4oct = surely not. You could say it's 2.5v/oct

:tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:
alright thanks for the detailed explanation :tu:
Nelson Baboon wrote:Beware of people who tell you to smile.
WTB (EU): Mungo d0, c1
llllll
Common Wiggler

Post by llllll »

Just got my grainshift, and ive gotten some really cool textures out of it so far. Is there an easy way to make it stay at one octave up? If I put the pitch knob all the way up, it goes past the octave. I tried putting in a dc offset from my 8nu8r, but it still seemed a little challenging to get it to lock there.

I understand there will be some slight pitch variation as part of the effect, but I just mean on average. Apologies if this was already explained.
Kent
Curator/Janitor/Zookeeper

Post by Kent »

Crandall1 wrote: All our products have a "sound" to them that is identifiable.
As it should be. Character, character, character.

Character is easily in the top 3 requirements for a module. Ergonomics being another.
Knights Who Say Neve
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Knights Who Say Neve »

The knobs on my grainshifter are wobbly as fuck. Are anyone else's?
Vcoadsr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Vcoadsr »

Knights Who Say Neve wrote:The knobs on my grainshifter are wobbly as fuck. Are anyone else's?
Yes, there was a long discussion on the original announcement thread about the knobs, these are identical to The Harvestman knobs.
I'm ignoring the fact they are wobbly and just trying to get to grips how to use this grain shift module on drums.
Crandall1
KAAAAAAAAAAHHHNN!!!!

Post by Crandall1 »

They may feel a bit wiggly, but they're tough as nails. In 400 modules (which is 1200 pots) we had one single mechanical failure of one pot, which is a pretty good rate. (And that failure was after I sent the module back to the assembly house for a repair on that very component, so I can't say for certain where and when the failure occurred.) I've put a module through a dishwasher cycle, and been very hard on them in general, and they hold up fine.

For what it's worth, I was a professional performing musician for a decade and a half, and am in no way easy on equipment. The only factor I really consider in any particular piece of gear's usefulness is whether it will stand up on stage. (For those that follow me on Twitter, you may remember my long series of Tweets about the stupidity of having floor effects with iPad docks, for example.)

As I said in the other thread, I'm not happy with the pots, but in candor, my unhappiness is largely because I know you guys will bitch about it, and I'll have to talk about it all the time, not because of any lack of confidence in the product itself. But lesson learned, and we're looking for a different solution for future products.

But the Audio Damage brand is now, and has always been, about standing behind our products. If one of the pots (or jacks, or whatever) fails, just send us the module and we'll replace the entire unit, no questions asked, and pay the shipping.
Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 »

i didn´t liked the pots on my harvestman polivoks VCf,
the Freq knob was grinding on the faceplate which was not good for jamming.
the grainshift has small knobs, i have here no problems with the wobblyness of the knobs.

the grainshift is very "jammy", the spacing is whats working against it.
i would consider immediatly a second unit....now i better wait and see if there´s an update happing on later modules.

personally i think, its the good modules where unperfectness hurts.
......bad modules can go. .....grainshift will stay. like it very much
For sale:
ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex »

Legend Crandall1
:hail:
All DivKid video series to be found here!
http://www.youtube.com/divkidvideo
Crandall1
KAAAAAAAAAAHHHNN!!!!

Post by Crandall1 »

Funky40 wrote:the grainshift is very "jammy", the spacing is whats working against it. i would consider immediatly a second unit....now i better wait and see if there´s an update happing on later modules.
We were told by pretty much everyone we asked before starting this (and, I'll note, during our previous ill-fated foray in to Euro as well) that the three main things to consider were module depth, HP, and cost. So the goal was a DSP-based module with three knobs + CV control on a single horizontal board in the minimum width possible, for the lowest possible cost. That's where the ADM0X modules ended up.

The ADM1X modules will be stacked boards with dedicated panels, and cost and size will not be considered as primary factors. The main considerations will be the highest quality panel parts and usability. There will be a granular module in this line as well, with far more capabilities (the larger platform has much more RAM, so we can do stereo granular engines and stereo delays with 3-5 seconds of delay time at 48/24 simultaneously.) However, it isn't our focus for the first couple of the larger platform; it could be a year or more before we have it done and on sale.
Knights Who Say Neve
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Knights Who Say Neve »

Crandall1 wrote:They may feel a bit wiggly, but they're tough as nails. In 400 modules (which is 1200 pots) we had one single mechanical failure of one pot, which is a pretty good rate. (And that failure was after I sent the module back to the assembly house for a repair on that very component, so I can't say for certain where and when the failure occurred.) I've put a module through a dishwasher cycle, and been very hard on them in general, and they hold up fine.

For what it's worth, I was a professional performing musician for a decade and a half, and am in no way easy on equipment. The only factor I really consider in any particular piece of gear's usefulness is whether it will stand up on stage. (For those that follow me on Twitter, you may remember my long series of Tweets about the stupidity of having floor effects with iPad docks, for example.)

As I said in the other thread, I'm not happy with the pots, but in candor, my unhappiness is largely because I know you guys will bitch about it, and I'll have to talk about it all the time, not because of any lack of confidence in the product itself. But lesson learned, and we're looking for a different solution for future products.

But the Audio Damage brand is now, and has always been, about standing behind our products. If one of the pots (or jacks, or whatever) fails, just send us the module and we'll replace the entire unit, no questions asked, and pay the shipping.
They are more than a bit wiggly. There are far and away the most wiggly of anything in my rig (which has all the usual suspects, i.e. Make Noise, Harvestman, Intellijel, Doepfer, 4ms, Livewire, Tiptop), or of any of my other gear for that matter. There's no anchor to the panel - the pot shaft just sticks through - and with the knob removed you can see how much wider the panel hole is relative to the shaft size. I honestly thought that might be a manufacturing error on my unit.
L.C.O.
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by L.C.O. »

Speaking of holes and spacing...

Apologies in advance if anyone takes offense, but the panel design with those giant "graphics" is decisively not my cup of tea. So, the layout of the module looks pretty symmetrical, and i am wondering if just flipping the panel would work. Did anyone try that. are the holes for jacks and knobs the same size, and spaced evenly on both sides?

i think i would rather have a totally blank panel than the one adorned with pictures... :-)

EDIT: Tried it: panelas are not symmetrical. Plus the holes for jacks and knobs are different size, so flipping the panel does not work as a "simple fix" for me.
Last edited by L.C.O. on Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius »

i shredded some sounds from the cyclebox the other day. grainshift is fun for this kind of thing.. i'll be using it a lot in various ways.

http://ignatiusmusic.com/graintwists.wav

:tu:
L.C.O.
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by L.C.O. »

changed a bit.
now, aesthetically somewhere between gieskes and mungo:

i could not help myself.
Last edited by L.C.O. on Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cellm8
Common Wiggler

Post by cellm8 »

Ignatius, audio demo is sick. Gritty fun!
makers
Veteran Wiggler

Post by makers »

I took a voice sample on cassette, played it half speed, then used grainshift to pitch it back to normal. Lovely time expansion. I didn't think to try this with a Phonogene but that's next on my list!
L.C.O.
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by L.C.O. »

Curious to hear if anyone else thought the Grainshift was a bit on a noisy side? As in noise floor.
Actually both of my AD units (Grainshift and Dub Jr) seem to have a bit of a hiss going on...
EarlJemmings
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EarlJemmings »

God, that Taylor Shift demo just gave me this dream of using it as part of a vocal processor. The high pitch is simply glorious :help:
felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer »

L.C.O. wrote:changed a bit.
now, aesthetically somewhere between gieskes and mungo
any chance of changing the pots to something that is bolted to the frontpanel? wobbly knobs are a major turn-off for me ... but the sounds are nice so i'm willing to do some work if possible ...
don't need midi, don't need keys, just want knobs and cables (all together now ;-)
L.C.O.
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by L.C.O. »

felixer wrote:
L.C.O. wrote:changed a bit.
now, aesthetically somewhere between gieskes and mungo
any chance of changing the pots to something that is bolted to the frontpanel? wobbly knobs are a major turn-off for me ... but the sounds are nice so i'm willing to do some work if possible ...
You would need to desolder the existing ones. But i don't think it's worth the trouble. I don't find the knobs to be that wobbly. It could also be that i drilled the holes slightly smaller than the original panels.
But am not sure if that matters.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”