audio damage grainshift in use

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
xonetacular
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by xonetacular »

who would have guessed the taylor swift demo was the actual best demo of this module i've heard yet? :hihi:
xonetacular
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by xonetacular »

double
SunSpots
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SunSpots »

Crandall1 wrote:Ask and ye shall receive.

http://soundcloud.com/chris-randall/taylorshift

Audio Damage Caresâ„¢

OH YES. Just made my night. laughed my ass off. That was exactly what I wanted to happen. Thank you *tears*
"... I am constantly confronted with students who either dislike something or feel uninspired until the right tools are in their hands." - thelowerrhythm
SunSpots
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SunSpots »

Matos wrote:Well, that pretty much sold me right there. Taylor swift should be the reference by which we judge all effect modules by.
quoted for truth. :yay:
"... I am constantly confronted with students who either dislike something or feel uninspired until the right tools are in their hands." - thelowerrhythm
taylor12k
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by taylor12k »

cos we always keep the door shut...

ether wrote:Have you noticed you never see Taylor Swift and Taylor Deupree in the same room together???

Just sayin'...
lintfresh
Veteran Wiggler

Post by lintfresh »

YES!!!!

Taylor Shifted!
thetwlo
Banned

Post by thetwlo »

http://soundcloud.com/chris-randall/taylorshift

Audio Damage Caresâ„¢
:tu: That does sound fantastic! Actually, that's a great way to make a demo as it's easy to hear what's going.
analogdigital
legendary hero wiggler

Post by analogdigital »

Audio Damage Caresâ„¢
:yay:
boboter
Ultra Wiggler

Post by boboter »

Taylor never sounded better. Great module!
jogging house ... new album 'chants' out now.
utamaru
Common Wiggler

Post by utamaru »

sold. not that I wasnt. but now doublyt so. damn.
jafbox
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jafbox »

taylor12k wrote:cos we always keep the door shut...

ether wrote:Have you noticed you never see Taylor Swift and Taylor Deupree in the same room together???

Just sayin'...
im telling tina! hahaha.

really liking the tonal shifts the pitch change makes. almost sounds more like a frequency shifter.
MSCMpls
Common Wiggler

Post by MSCMpls »

Really looking forward to trying this out. Grainshift and DubJr in the mail. fun fun fun. :hyper:
reignbear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by reignbear »

analogdigital wrote:Tags were breaking when trying to embed two SC links in one post, so here you go..

http://soundcloud.com/analogdigital_ad/ ... grainshift

Braids new WT4 mode into Grainshift. Manual knob twiddling on the Grainshift. Braids left alone.
Dry signal is mixed in at beginning and end for reference.

EDIT: url was too long. Fixed
semi off-topic, but this makes me want to hear the braids WT4 through the dubjr...WT4 mode just shot my braids lust through the roof. :deadbanana:
analogdigital
legendary hero wiggler

Post by analogdigital »

reignbear wrote:
analogdigital wrote:Tags were breaking when trying to embed two SC links in one post, so here you go..

http://soundcloud.com/analogdigital_ad/ ... grainshift

Braids new WT4 mode into Grainshift. Manual knob twiddling on the Grainshift. Braids left alone.
Dry signal is mixed in at beginning and end for reference.

EDIT: url was too long. Fixed
semi off-topic, but this makes me want to hear the braids WT4 through the dubjr...WT4 mode just shot my braids lust through the roof. :deadbanana:
So as to not hijack the grainshift thread, if you go to my soundcloud page I just posted one there.
Loving it.
Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 »

sold ....... :mad: ;)
guess one echophon has to go :deadbanana:
For sale:
ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex »

Funky40 wrote:sold ....... :mad: ;)
You have 2 echophons? :dizzy:
All DivKid video series to be found here!
http://www.youtube.com/divkidvideo
berfmurret
Ultra Wiggler

Post by berfmurret »

Maybe this has been mentioned - maybe not - but this appears to be the first granular eurorack module that can output more than one grain. (or is this an illusion due to the scatter?) I know lots of folks have been yelling for clouds since the first sampling modules came to market. Also the first realtime granular module! Cheers for diversity! :guinness:
Crandall1
KAAAAAAAAAAHHHNN!!!!

Post by Crandall1 »

berfmurret wrote:Maybe this has been mentioned - maybe not - but this appears to be the first granular eurorack module that can output more than one grain. (or is this an illusion due to the scatter?) I know lots of folks have been yelling for clouds since the first sampling modules came to market. Also the first realtime granular module! Cheers for diversity! :guinness:
Yes, Grainshift is _always_ operating on a fixed number of grains. When I originally put the Discord3 granular engine on this platform, with my ham-fisted DSP chops, I hard-coded it to 16. (Discord3 uses a variable number, depending on what's appropriate.) When Adam got a hold of it, he made a number of changes to make the granular shifter work better in the context of our little engine-that-could, and for more real-time fun. During these changes, I recall him mentioning that he picked up some CPU, and as a result, was able to increase it to 30.

I may be wrong on that; I asked him on AIM, but he's packing for his trip to Japan tomorrow, and wasn't around to answer. He will no doubt correct me if I'm mistaken here.

But in any event, the number of grains is a constant; it is either 16 or 30. (TBH, when I crank the CHAOS, it sounds like more than 16 to me.) This accounts for the warbly, phasey sound when there isn't much CHAOS happening.

In any case, if you want that classic granular cloud with the long decay, Grainshift and DubJr together will happily you there, along with a couple other modules (VCA, mixer, attenuator, what-have you) by creating a feedback loop from the out of Grainshift through DubJr at 100% wet back to the in of Grainshift, mixing where appropriate. Perhaps I'll put up a video of how this is done with a VCA and a mixer module.

But in any event, Grainshift and DubJr together is, for all intents and purposes, one half of Discord3 in Gr mode. So the two modules are capable of the same stuff as the plug-in, within reason. If you have two of each (plus the appropriate attenuating abilities) you have a whole stereo hardware Discord3 in Gr mode.

(For only 18 times the cost. Because real life.)
Johnisfaster
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Johnisfaster »

Does grainshift have center detent and do grains and chaos have any effect at center pitch?
JensenJohn.bandcamp.com
Crandall1
KAAAAAAAAAAHHHNN!!!!

Post by Crandall1 »

Johnisfaster wrote:Does grainshift have center detent and do grains and chaos have any effect at center pitch?
There's no physical detent on the pot, if that's what you're asking. Since we're using the same platform for several effects, we left it off.

There is, however, a "dead spot" in the travel. We made the +/-0ct value wider than it would be in a linear control so that it was easy to hit. You can plainly hear when it lands on it.

CHAOS is a variable; it is the amount of randomness applied to the grains' pitch and decay. If I had more space for the legend, I was pondering calling it "CLOUDINESS" because that's what it does. There is _always_ a tiny bit of randomness to each grain. This is more apparent when the SIZE control (which, in our granular system, controls both the duration and interval of the grains) is all the way open. The larger grains carry more information to your ears, so it's easier to hear the tiny randomness. This manifests itself as the warbly effect.

The reason we did this is that having 30 (or possibly 16) grains all cracking along at the exact same values when CHAOS is nominally zeroed doesn't sound like something we wanted to put our name on. (You'll find, if you're new to the way we do things, this is a common theme. All our products have a "sound" to them that is identifiable.)
markjamesriver
Common Wiggler

Post by markjamesriver »

Here is some speech ran thru Grainshift. It's no Taylor Swift, but apparently a guy who really likes Peanut Butter. Modulation of parameters using a PEG and Vilfo. Fun module. Have not even tried it on synth yet.

http://soundcloud.com/k-ram-1/grainshift-on-speech
Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 »

ben_hex wrote:
Funky40 wrote:sold ....... :mad: ;)
You have 2 echophons? :dizzy:
yes, and two Haible freq shifters.
together its indeed :dizzy: ........ :hihi:.....me likes feedback patchings :sb:

edit: markjamesriver ....ou man
For sale:
Crandall1
KAAAAAAAAAAHHHNN!!!!

Post by Crandall1 »

Adam just got back to me. As it turns out, it is 32 grains. All the time.
Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler »

exper wrote:And you know, turn the knobs slowly. Can't tell what is going on by chaining 3 of them together and sending a CV blitzkrieg into them!
Thank you! And I was the one finding myself bitching about the demos on the other thread. :lol:

By the way, I'd buy that Echophon from you Funky40 for :75:
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.
richard
bananaphile

Post by richard »

Only just heard the Taylor Swift. Greatest demo ever in history since this one

never forget

[video][/video]

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”