WMD Sequential Switch Matrix

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

SvenskLjudporr
Common Wiggler

Post by SvenskLjudporr »

I love this module!

Sequential Feedback Routing is AWESOME!

This track was made a while ago. The patch is simply Rubicon connected to SARA VCF. Outputs and filter outputs are connected to SSM. Outputs of SSM are connected to inputs of SARA. SSM is clocked.

https://soundcloud.com/oskarlygner/ryb- ... oop-sara-2
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff »

Yes! It is awesome! Co-incidentally, I was using my SSM today to route transient sounds to the left or right of a stereo DSP:

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/303869201" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
Worwell
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Worwell »

Just picked up an SSM with expander used with the intention to sell the expander but now I have to keep it. Very useful pair. Here is my first patch using it to sequence.

[video][/video]
desolationjones
Veteran Wiggler

Post by desolationjones »

Does anyone have a pinout for the 20-pin expansion header on the back? If I could access the state of the button matrix directly it would open up some awesome DIY expander options.
mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 »

desolationjones wrote:Does anyone have a pinout for the 20-pin expansion header on the back? If I could access the state of the button matrix directly it would open up some awesome DIY expander options.
Did you try contacting Will.I.Am Mass Destruction directly?
desolationjones
Veteran Wiggler

mt3 wrote:
desolationjones wrote:Does anyone have a pinout for the 20-pin expansion header on the back? If I could access the state of the button matrix directly it would open up some awesome DIY expander options.
Did you try contacting Will.I.Am Mass Destruction directly?
Nope, I will do so now. I might end up hooking it up to an oscilloscope if no one has before...
kbithecrowing
Common Wiggler

Post by kbithecrowing »

Daisuk wrote:Pretty much everything goes through the SSM in this patch. Just sayin'. ;) It's a great module, super handy for making variations in patches.

http://soundcloud.com/happyleaguecactus ... en-dum-ide
Seriously wonderful track :tu:
desolationjones
Veteran Wiggler

Alex at WMD emailed me back and wrote:Will start at pin 1 which is bottom Right of the 20 pin header. Then go Right Left and then up.
These are high (5V) when the connection is made. They are unbuffered so be careful connecting them without a resistor to anything. Do not use them as direct outputs to jacks without some sort of buffering.
1: 4-4
2: 4-3
3: 4-2
4: 4-1
5: 3-4
6: 3-3
7: 3-2
8: 3-1
9: 2-4
10: 2-3
11: 2-2
12: 2-1
13: 1-4
14: 1-3
15: 1-2
16: 1-1

17: Bank bit 0
18: Bank bit 1

19: Do not use (has to do with save and step)
20: Do not use (has to do with save and step)
anosou
Wiggling with Experience

Post by anosou »

desolationjones wrote:
Alex at WMD emailed me back and wrote:Will start at pin 1 which is bottom Right of the 20 pin header. Then go Right Left and then up.
These are high (5V) when the connection is made. They are unbuffered so be careful connecting them without a resistor to anything. Do not use them as direct outputs to jacks without some sort of buffering.

If anyone manages to build a 4HP just-16-outputs trigger expander, I'd be SO into it. Heck just a 4HP with 8 outs for column 3 and 4 would be sweeeet. :omg:
You can hear & see my modular noodling on YouTube.
You can find my rack at ModularGrid.
WMDevices
Ultra Wiggler

Post by WMDevices »

anosou wrote:
desolationjones wrote:

If anyone manages to build a 4HP just-16-outputs trigger expander, I'd be SO into it. Heck just a 4HP with 8 outs for column 3 and 4 would be sweeeet. :omg:
You better buffer it if you do, the outputs on the header are not protected.
Check out the growing number of WMD Demo Videos | WMD Website
anosou
Wiggling with Experience

Post by anosou »

WMDevices wrote:
anosou wrote: If anyone manages to build a 4HP just-16-outputs trigger expander, I'd be SO into it. Heck just a 4HP with 8 outs for column 3 and 4 would be sweeeet. :omg:
You better buffer it if you do, the outputs on the header are not protected.
Noted, thanks for chiming in! I'm pretty much incompetent when it comes to these things but I trust in the expertise of others. :banana:
You can hear & see my modular noodling on YouTube.
You can find my rack at ModularGrid.
lootacow
Common Wiggler

Post by lootacow »

This module is so dope. The funnest and most complex switch ive used. Thanks for making it!!
BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BaloErets »

Just picked one up this evening at Moog Audio here in Montreal. About to dive into an evening of patch madness :bananaguitar:

It's been awhile since I've been this excited about my 1st go with a module. Reminds me a bit of the time I picked up the VCAMatrix :sb:
WeepWow
Veteran Wiggler

WMD SSM

Post by WeepWow »

Anyone have some quick patch ideas I could try on the SSM?

I've had mine for about 6 months, but havent used it much, (being distracted trying out different sequencers I have and other trigger/gate modules Tempi, Algorythm, Wangernumb, Verbos Seq Selector, Sputnik etc)

Want to hear some ideas of patching the various ins and outs on the SSM.

Thanks. Ken
BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BaloErets »

I really like sending a bunch of control voltages (LFOs, Envelopes, Random) and then send the outputs to multiple Sample and Hold inputs.

Really cool to sequence what’s going into the sample and hold, esp. when they are quantized and driving the 1v/oct of multiple VCOs.

I have a video I’ll probably upload tonight based on the above patch.
WeepWow
Veteran Wiggler

Post by WeepWow »

Balo - Awesome, look forward to checking it out. thanks.
BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BaloErets »

[video][/video]

Disclaimer; It's Looooong :ripbanana: Will probably have another go at it in the future and try to cut it down to 1/2 it's length, but still kinda cool :)
khyber
Veteran Wiggler

Post by khyber »

Does anyone have power issues with this module in combination with any other modules? I reracked my 6U case sporting a Synthrotek Deluxe Power supply (I've used the SSM with this power supply without issue before) and I've identified that the SSM is creating power up issues for my rig.

Modulargrid: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/556084

When I power on my rig with the SSM attached I get a couple of the modules (including the SSM) fritzing out. I'm definitely not overloading my power supply but it looks like the -12V rail is the one that's having an issue. The SSM is plugged into a ribbon cable, I will try plugging it into the other power strip (a physical bus board) tonight, but I'm really scratching my head over what's going on here. I contacted WMD a few days ago and am waiting to hear back.
p@@@nts
Common Wiggler

Post by p@@@nts »

BaloErets wrote:[video][/video]

Disclaimer; It's Looooong :ripbanana: Will probably have another go at it in the future and try to cut it down to 1/2 it's length, but still kinda cool :)
Just watched this again and... rad! :nana:

If you have time and feel inclined, I’d love to know more about what’s going on in this patch!
behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy »

BaloErets wrote:[video][/video]

that suh, is VERY cool. beautiful stuff. thanks!
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy
WMDevices
Ultra Wiggler

Post by WMDevices »

khyber wrote:Does anyone have power issues with this module in combination with any other modules? I reracked my 6U case sporting a Synthrotek Deluxe Power supply (I've used the SSM with this power supply without issue before) and I've identified that the SSM is creating power up issues for my rig.

When I power on my rig with the SSM attached I get a couple of the modules (including the SSM) fritzing out. I'm definitely not overloading my power supply but it looks like the -12V rail is the one that's having an issue. The SSM is plugged into a ribbon cable, I will try plugging it into the other power strip (a physical bus board) tonight, but I'm really scratching my head over what's going on here. I contacted WMD a few days ago and am waiting to hear back.
The Synthrotek power is super crappy and can’t handle capacitive loads. The SSM has some 220uF caps on it to keep the op amps quiet and isolated. PLEASE get a better supply from TipTop, Make Noise or 4ms. You probably have a few $k of modules, don’t use the cheapest power supply. It’s like getting good tires, you’re safer and you won’t have to worry or have as many problems.

These issues keep coming up specifically with Synthrotek because he didn’t invest the engineering budget into making something good. You could also buy our Soft Start module which will solve the problem but is really just a band aid for a larger problem. Get a good supply and you will be very happy.

Please reach out again if you need to. Alex is super busy in NAMM prep and probably read it and thought he had already responded. Thanks!
Check out the growing number of WMD Demo Videos | WMD Website
khyber
Veteran Wiggler

Post by khyber »

WMDevices wrote:
khyber wrote:Does anyone have power issues with this module in combination with any other modules? I reracked my 6U case sporting a Synthrotek Deluxe Power supply (I've used the SSM with this power supply without issue before) and I've identified that the SSM is creating power up issues for my rig.

The Synthrotek power is super crappy and can’t handle capacitive loads. The SSM has some 220uF caps on it to keep the op amps quiet and isolated. PLEASE get a better supply from TipTop, Make Noise or 4ms. You probably have a few $k of modules, don’t use the cheapest power supply. It’s like getting good tires, you’re safer and you won’t have to worry or have as many problems.

These issues keep coming up specifically with Synthrotek because he didn’t invest the engineering budget into making something good. You could also buy our Soft Start module which will solve the problem but is really just a band aid for a larger problem. Get a good supply and you will be very happy.

Please reach out again if you need to. Alex is super busy in NAMM prep and probably read it and thought he had already responded. Thanks!
Ok thought this might be part of it. I'll give it a go and let you know if I still experience an issue. Thanks WMD!
BrokenBo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BrokenBo »

i have the rxmx and use it also for cv controllable, cv routing /mixing / scanning, which is fun.
will it make sense to add a SSM if i already have a rxmx ?
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff »

BrokenBo wrote:i have the rxmx and use it also for cv controllable, cv routing /mixing / scanning, which is fun.
will it make sense to add a SSM if i already have a rxmx ?
Short answer: quite possibly. I’ve been using both for some time and do not think of them as being particularly related to each other.

If you’re ready to have a sequential switch in your life, then the SSM is one of the very best choices (if you have the space) because it smartly augments the basic sequential switch concept in many useful ways. For many of us, the SSM is something of a “core module”, like Maths or whatever. (I do not own or use the expander.)

(And it’s always nice to hear someone else enjoying the RxMx.)
BrokenBo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BrokenBo »

well i love the rxmx. using it for both audo and cv and it creates wonderful stuff with a very intuitive "modular" interface. i see it often used only for audio. but i think it can do awesome stuff for cv also.

but i guess the ssm brings more complex routing, sequencing options. very intrigued by this module.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”