WMD Sequential Switch Matrix

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

Section956
Common Wiggler

Post by Section956 »

Wonderful. Such a great module.
mheumann
Ultra Wiggler

Post by mheumann »

I keep thinking I want to get a 2nd SSM, since I always want to use it for both CV and audio at the same time! Such an amazing module, especially with the expansion.
Section956
Common Wiggler

Post by Section956 »

mheumann wrote:I keep thinking I want to get a 2nd SSM, since I always want to use it for both CV and audio at the same time! Such an amazing module, especially with the expansion.
I don't have the expander. How do you utilize it?
mheumann
Ultra Wiggler

Post by mheumann »

Section956 wrote:
mheumann wrote:I keep thinking I want to get a 2nd SSM, since I always want to use it for both CV and audio at the same time! Such an amazing module, especially with the expansion.
I don't have the expander. How do you utilize it?
Nothing fancy. It is just 16 gates/triggers that can function along with the main SSM to make 16 gate sequencers
happyham
Wiggling with Experience

Post by happyham »

got this two days ago. awesome, super easy to use
mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 »

Those bloody DACs....
:bananaguitar:
mharpum
Ultra Wiggler

Post by mharpum »

mt3 wrote:Those bloody DACs....
What are you using the DAC:1-2 output for? I never use that, or the compare in, or the comp outputs. Am I missing a trick here?
https://soundcloud.com/mark-harpum

https://www.instagram.com/harpum1/?hl=en

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/456680

FS/T loquelic v1, korgasmatron 2 w/ expander, zdsp w/ 4 cards, seq 1, control forge, rt60, English tear(faulty),

WTB anything WMD and Noise Engineering.
Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis »

Guilty confession. I've owned an SSM with expander for at least a couple months now. And I've used it maybe twice. :ripbanana:

I was just thinking I need to sit down with it for a few hours and just see what applications I can come up with. I see it more as a CV tool in my set up. I really don't know why I haven't been using it more. I bought a few modules at the same time and I think that kept me from digging in. But my shame has finally pushed me into checking this thing out.
mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 »

mharpum wrote:
mt3 wrote:Those bloody DACs....
What are you using the DAC:1-2 output for? I never use that, or the compare in, or the comp outputs. Am I missing a trick here?
Anything and everything.
Main for me is as a "discretized sweep" or "non-random sample and hold".
Sequence a pattern into a filter or to select a wave from a wavetable oscillator (or Braids in Meta mode).
mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 »

Hyperbole Alert!

Probably. Best. Module. Ever.

Some patch examples here:
viewtopic.php?t=124076&highlight=
Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis »

Just had my first go running the ADDAC 501 into the SSM. It's pretty awesome. Patch description:

Voices:
Piston Honda into MMG and then 4MS DLD. Sequenced by the Turing Machine. Attenuated pulses from gate out 1 and 2+4 feed MMG strike and accent respectively. Mode and frequency of MMG modulated by 501/SSM combo. Wave and bank of Piston Honda modulated by 501/SSM.

Cyclbeox into VCA, then Phonogene then Polaris, ending in Clouds. Cutoff of Polaris modulated by Expert Sleepers/Silent Way random step LFO. Phonogene gene and slide modulated by 501/SSM.

Roli Seaboard Rise controlling Mutable Instruments Rings into Clouds. XY pad of Rise controlling damping and position of Rings.

Drums from DRM1.

[video][/video]
mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 »

Sinamsis

Nice collection of modules in this patch. Were you using the DACs or comparators in this?

I missed the question earlier about comparators:
I'm a huge fan of utility modules, so envelope followers are the best tool ever for dynamics "control"/injection aka "frontchain expression".
Plug the DAC out to comparator in (adjust to taste by offsetting with CVP or 8NU8R) and send comparator out to a Function/Maths trigger input.
Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis »

Just the 4 inputs and outputs.
archivarius
Common Wiggler

Post by archivarius »

Does anyone have both the WMD Sequential Switch Matrix and Alyseum's MS-Matrix and can compare the two?
The world becomes the dream, and the dream becomes the world. - Novalis
mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 »

archivarius wrote:Does anyone have both the WMD Sequential Switch Matrix and Alyseum's MS-Matrix and can compare the two?
For some reason I thought it was a Mid/Side mixer...

The only module I know close to an SSM is Hinton's Switchmix (8x8!):
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/hinton-in ... -switchmix
mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 »

Richard Devine has some comments and interesting tidbits on the SSM:

https://www.gearspace.com/board/q-richa ... ators.html
Last edited by Flatscan on Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updating gearspace URL
sockmonkey
Common Wiggler

Post by sockmonkey »

I am racking my brain trying to decide between this and the 4ms VCA Matrix. I know that there's been a fair amount of discussion about this already. But you can never beat a dead horse enough. If the SSM allowed level control of its stages, it would be perfect. Alas.

The presetability and random features of the SSM are probably what keeps bringing me back. I haven't found any module which takes advantage of the VCAM's CV expansion port (which was intended to provide these features via an external module). Have I overlooked something?

I also feel like the VCAM is going to lead to a gear acquisition spiral in order to take advantage of it (I'll need some additional EGs, morphing controllers, etc. in order to plug those holes), whereas the SSM is fairly standalone.

On a tangent, does anyone know if there are important differences between the v1 and v2 VCAM PCBs?

Thanks, Jeremy
Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dogma »

sockmonkey wrote:I am racking my brain trying to decide between this and the 4ms VCA Matrix. I know that there's been a fair amount of discussion about this already. But you can never beat a dead horse enough. If the SSM allowed level control of its stages, it would be perfect. Alas.

The presetability and random features of the SSM are probably what keeps bringing me back. I haven't found any module which takes advantage of the VCAM's CV expansion port (which was intended to provide these features via an external module). Have I overlooked something?

I also feel like the VCAM is going to lead to a gear acquisition spiral in order to take advantage of it (I'll need some additional EGs, morphing controllers, etc. in order to plug those holes), whereas the SSM is fairly standalone.

On a tangent, does anyone know if there are important differences between the v1 and v2 VCAM PCBs?

Thanks, Jeremy
You know I'm currently going through the exact process - I've owned both and want the Ssm back - it's amazing how much you can wring from it.
I didn't use the vcam to its full capacity at all
But the ER301 has stolen focus entirely. when you throw in expander and such the price difference isn't too much and the power/module ratio is crazy ;)
mharpum
Ultra Wiggler

Post by mharpum »

Thanks for the trade Dogma, still my most favourite module ever!
https://soundcloud.com/mark-harpum

https://www.instagram.com/harpum1/?hl=en

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/456680

FS/T loquelic v1, korgasmatron 2 w/ expander, zdsp w/ 4 cards, seq 1, control forge, rt60, English tear(faulty),

WTB anything WMD and Noise Engineering.
sockmonkey
Common Wiggler

Post by sockmonkey »

I guess the ER301 should be able to do this sort of matrix switching, as well. But I don't think that's in my future (lovely, but expensive and most of that stuff would be easier to manage on a laptop IMO).

I guess I could build an 8x8 switcher with level control, presetting and random for my Expert Sleepers in/out modules in Max, too... But I'd rather keep the functionality smaller and in-rack. But not in an ER301. :-)
Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dogma »

mharpum wrote:Thanks for the trade Dogma, still my most favourite module ever!
I know! kills me, such an inspiring module and you've done awesome things with it - do you use the expander much?
Pm me re sychrodyne :)
SvenskLjudporr
Common Wiggler

Post by SvenskLjudporr »

I recently bought the expander module for SSM. I use it to trig other S/H signal paths, open VCAs, etc...

I also combine SSM with MI Frames, which makes the concept of feedback patching even more exciting.

I aslo own Synchrodyne with expander as well as PDO mk2. SSM + PDO enables lots of interesting phase modulation using sequential feedback chains. Complex rhythmical stuff has become one of the the fundamental parts of all my sound scapes.

This sound example shows at typical timbre sequence with only one VCO + SARA VCF + SSM

https://soundcloud.com/oskarlygner/ryb- ... oop-sara-2
Montgomery Word
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Montgomery Word »

this.
billyk419
Wiggling with Experience

Post by billyk419 »

Just picked up a used one of these. Thought I knew what I was getting myself into...This thing is just the best :nana:
"If it sounds good, it IS good." ~Duke Ellington

Case

FS/FT
sockmonkey
Common Wiggler

Post by sockmonkey »

Yeah, I finally just went and bought one+expander -- I only had a chance to plug it in and test that it works before I got a bad cold which is keeping me away from my studio, but I'm already dreaming of ways to use it.

Switches = structure.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”