WMD Sequential Switch Matrix

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

rdomain
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rdomain »

I haven't used a mutamix but I really enjoy all the various outs of the SSM. Spitting out audio or cv. I'd be curious to try a mutamix though. Obviously I opted for the SSM :)
aritchie.com
Hirsbro
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Hirsbro »

ehm.. im not 100% clear about this question, are you able to select stage/step via cv? meaning.. can you go through all the 16 steps in a non linear fashion?

"CV Limit: When the LED is off, CV acts as an offset that can go beyond the Top. When the LED is Green (tap “CV Limit”), the CV is limited to the top, so the CV will be clipped to the Top Matrix.

CV Sets Top: Indicated by the LED being red. The CV will set the top matrix. This allows for CV control of the Top matrix, or CV control over the length of the sequence. CV will no longer change matrices in this mode.

Step Down: When the LED is off, gates and the Step button will step up. When the LED is green, gates and the Step button will step down.

CV Input: The CV input is attenuated by the CV Scale knob, and added to the CV Offset control."

:hmm: :despair:
Thulo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Thulo »

Yes
Hirsbro
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Hirsbro »

Thulo wrote:Yes
I assume that was an answer to my question :mrgreen: well that settles it then I must have this then :cry: :moneyburn:
Thulo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Thulo »

I dont use the trigger input alot. Mostley the cv input so that i u can use the same step several times via a cv seq or something.
SunSpots
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SunSpots »

buy mine in fs forum. I had two and didn't need the second one. it's a bad ass module. so many uses and it's like presets under cv control. it can get wild
WTB: MPC X good condition, rabid elephants natural gate, Instruo Arhbar, Make Noise Shared System B/G plus
psyclone001
Common Wiggler

Post by psyclone001 »

I've got two also but have just advertised one as well in FS. Have streamlined my sequencing and no longer need the second one for the sequencer switching I was using it for. It's an amazing module. The options are endless :tu:
revoltcrews
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by revoltcrews »

Just picked up the SSM yesterday.
and yowza. what a module. i don't have the expander yet. soon.

so, yeah, pretty amazing things happening here.
gonna be experimenting with sending cv/qcv from dual renes today.

ya know, on the hunt for fun patch ideas.. :razz:
revoltcrews
Super Deluxe Wiggler

matrix mutations video..... :)

Post by revoltcrews »

Getting to know you ...
thats what's happening here with the SSM.

other modules installed today and focused on, and getting abused from the SSM via dual rene feeds, wogglebug, propagate.
hex inverter mutant bass drum
tta 909hats
basimilus iteritas
and echophon.

[video][/video]
Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk »

Cool, definitely sounds like the SSM I know. :lol:
revoltcrews
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by revoltcrews »

i realized that within my first intense run with the ssm, i didn't do any controlled adsr'ing of any of my sounds to shape things into their respective order to build on.
and had the ssm in random matrix mode feeding it solely cv sources.
so much awesome in this module.
Hirsbro
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Hirsbro »

after reading the manual and this thread I still don't get what the comparator input are used for :hide: :bop:
revoltcrews
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by revoltcrews »

Hirsbro wrote:after reading the manual and this thread I still don't get what the comparator input are used for :hide: :bop:
reckon i'd like some light shed on this as well....
and any and all light shed on interesting patchwork with this awesome module
ddoyen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ddoyen »

Hirsbro wrote:after reading the manual and this thread I still don't get what the comparator input are used for :hide: :bop:

The comparator outputs will produce a gate signal if the voltage at each columns output is greater than the voltage at the comparator input.

Lets just focus on one input and 1st columns comparator output (1>comp)

Try this:

Send a slow attack, slow decay cycling envelope or positive voltage only LFO to input 1 and activate button 1:1. Disable all other matrix routing buttons.

Now look at the two LED's above the 1>Comp jack. The left LED reflects the voltage of the first column of outputs.

Since you are only sending one envelope to the first input, the left LED should reflect the shape of your envelope (less voltage, less brightness). The comparator outputs status is reflected by the right LED. You will notice that when the envelope produces a voltage greater than zero, the comparator output LED turns on. When the comparator output LED is on, there is a gate signal present at the 1>comp jack.

This is because the job of the comparator is to produce a gate signal when column 1 voltage is greater than the voltage at the comparator input. Since there is nothing plugged into the comparator input, there will be a gate produced at the 1>comp output whenever column 1s voltage is greater than zero.

Now send an offset voltage to the Compare In. If you are sending a 3 volt offset to the compare input, and your envelope is going from 0-10 volts, the 1>comp output wont produce a gate until the envelope is greater than 3 volts, and it won't stop producing that gate until it falls back below 3 volts.

This works for the other three columns too. They all look to the compare input, and depending on the sum of each columns voltage, if it is greater than the voltage going to the compare input, a gate will be produced at each columns comparator output.

Use them to clock sequencers, trigger envelopes, etc. I use them at audio rate sometimes for cool effects as well.

Sorry if that was over explainy. Hopefully that helps though.
revoltcrews
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by revoltcrews »

Fantastic example ddoyen
I clearly understand the comp now. thanks so much.

And here's my 3rd noise date with the SSM. exploring cv'ing the matrix with maths eoc & jupiter storms osc outs....
all sounds are being driven by the ssm's outputs, and a couple of the comp outs are triggering mutant bass drum and basimilus iteritas

and by noise session. i mean its quite noisy. i like dates like this:

[video][/video]
Hirsbro
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Hirsbro »

cheers ddoyen :chug:
thingstocome
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thingstocome »

So fun!

:party:
Happyanimal
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Happyanimal »

What is everyone using the DAC outputs for? Love this switch, but haven't gotten around to using the DAC outs- mainly due to my lack of comprehension.
Bogus
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Bogus »

thingstocome wrote:So fun!

:party:
I like that! :yay:
Hirsbro
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Hirsbro »

Does it require 5v? cant find that info not even on http://www.wmdevices.com/ssm.ph
I am planning a power supply change around :hmm:
Krater
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Krater »

^^No
Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk »

Hirsbro wrote:Does it require 5v? cant find that info not even on http://www.wmdevices.com/ssm.ph
I am planning a power supply change around :hmm:
As in a 5v adapter? Nope.
Hirsbro
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Hirsbro »

thanks
Ish
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ish »

I just saw one of these for the first time today.

Talk about a "possibility space" exploding in one's imagination.

Do I want one? Fuck. Yes.
Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk »

Pretty much everything goes through the SSM in this patch. Just sayin'. ;) It's a great module, super handy for making variations in patches.

http://soundcloud.com/happyleaguecactus ... en-dum-ide

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”