ER-101: Indexed Quad Sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Ypsi Kid
Common Wiggler

Post by Ypsi Kid » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:37 am

Portabella wrote:Dear all,

I found this video of the 101 on youtube playing Bach!

I was pretty amazed and baffled about how much work this must have been to dial in all those notes... until I read the comments.
The uploaded claims that he's written a program which converts MIDI to xlm file which the 101 can read and play.
Is that possible?
There seem to be various MIDI to xlm converter even online, like this:
http://flashmusicgames.com/midi/mid2xml.php

but even if I had a xlm file, how do I get it onto my 101 and how do I tell the unit where to save it
Hey Man,

if you have the ER102, I believe that reads MIDI files.

Portabella
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Portabella » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:38 pm

Ypsi Kid wrote: Hey Man,

if you have the ER102, I believe that reads MIDI files.
Okay, shoot.. so this is only possible with the ER-102 expander?
Because in the video I posted there is no 102 but the uploader claims:
I wrote an application which read MIDI file and converter them to the XML file format that the ER-101 reads
So there should be a work-around?!

qwertyuiop
Learning to Wiggle

Post by qwertyuiop » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:25 pm

You can manipulate the snapshot files, which are stored in XML. More info on the OD site here: http://www.orthogonaldevices.com/er-101 ... shot-files

The you transfer over with the programmer: http://www.orthogonaldevices.com/er-101/Programmer

But it is going to require writing a program in your language of choice to convert a MIDI file to a snapshot, there's no automatic way of loading a MIDI file on the 101.

Ypsi Kid
Common Wiggler

Post by Ypsi Kid » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:45 pm

Check the manual for the er102 to check on loading midi files - pg. 26:

https://docs.google.com/a/orthogonaldev ... mJlMWJlM2E

hinterlands303

Post by hinterlands303 » Mon May 06, 2019 9:07 pm

I'm really struggling deciding between an ER-101 and the Nerdseq. I currently use Rene v1, PP&Brains, along with sequencing from Ableton or the Octatrack via the CV.OCD. I'm looking for something multi-channel that can do variable step length, which both the ER-101 and Nerdseq would do.

I'm most attracted to the ER-101 but I'm concerned about the amount of math I would have to do in my head to get my patterns the right length once I start playing with step length and also the one step editing process.

Nerdseq seems to more in some respects but is also less flexible in others, so I'm interested in hearing anyone's opinion who's had both. Thanks!

cityz3n
Common Wiggler

Er101

Post by cityz3n » Tue May 07, 2019 12:45 am

I was also trying to decide between the er101/er102 combo and the nerdseq.
After hours of tutorial watching and manuals reading I choose the er101/er102 combo for following reasons:
-change length of a step in the sequence (also possible in the nerdseq but in a different way, I found the er101 way more intuitive)
-all parameters immediately viewable per step
-the screens are very readable from a distance
-no menu diving
"C’est l’histoire d’un homme qui tombe d’un immeuble de cinquante étages. Le mec, au fur et à mesure de sa chute il se répète sans cesse pour se rassurer : jusqu’ici tout va bien, jusqu’ici tout va bien, jusqu’ici tout va bien.
Mais l'important n’est pas la chute, c’est l’atterrissage."

DJ Tap Water
Common Wiggler

Re: ER-101: Indexed Quad Sequencer

Post by DJ Tap Water » Thu May 21, 2020 4:33 am

Hello, I am thinking of picking up an er101 (again) but the reason I sold it was: when triggering samples, using gate to trigger the sample and cv to select the sample, the CV for selecting the sample would not register until the next trigger - effectively the first time you trigger a certain sample, it will play the sample previously selected to the one you intend to play. Does that make sense? Is it fixed yet? Many thanks to anyone who can lmk

SavageMessiah
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SavageMessiah » Thu May 21, 2020 11:25 am

DJ Tap Water wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:33 am
Hello, I am thinking of picking up an er101 (again) but the reason I sold it was: when triggering samples, using gate to trigger the sample and cv to select the sample, the CV for selecting the sample would not register until the next trigger - effectively the first time you trigger a certain sample, it will play the sample previously selected to the one you intend to play. Does that make sense? Is it fixed yet? Many thanks to anyone who can lmk
That sort of thing happens with tons of sequencers though - the CV changes some tiny fraction of a second after the gate. The fix is the same as with any other sequencer - add a tiny delay to the gate using a single segment of stages or a dedicated trigger/gate delay. Some samplers like Assimil8or can account for that delay internally. Based on some cursory googling the delay on the er-101 is about 3ms and this is still a thing that happens.

DJ Tap Water
Common Wiggler

Post by DJ Tap Water » Fri May 22, 2020 12:25 am

SavageMessiah wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:25 am
DJ Tap Water wrote:
That sort of thing happens with tons of sequencers though - the CV changes some tiny fraction of a second after the gate. The fix is the same as with any other sequencer - add a tiny delay to the gate using a single segment of stages or a dedicated trigger/gate delay. Some samplers like Assimil8or can account for that delay internally. Based on some cursory googling the delay on the er-101 is about 3ms and this is still a thing that happens.
Thanks, yes that's a good workaround. Not ideal, though. I've had tons of different eurorack sequencers and I don't think any had the same problem. Certainly pams, hermod, performer, marbles, o_c... None of these have laggy cv output. For such an expensive sequencer it's disappointing.

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Sun May 31, 2020 11:16 am

Is anyone else having issues with the programmer? I have been able to use my programmer since updating to a modern Mac OS. Without the 102, it's impossible to import/export sequences any other way. Attempting to open in Catalina, it tells me that "the develops needs to update this application" or something similar.
New video on Prophet 12 Drone Patches:
Prophet 12 Drone Patches

cloudswim
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by cloudswim » Mon May 03, 2021 10:56 pm

O|D wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:59 am
SamUK wrote:With regards to the expander, I'm hoping that we'll get per track clock, reset and sequence index.
That is the general idea for the expander plus a few goodies. :guinness:
Did the individual clock per track ever get implemented for the ER102?

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Tue May 04, 2021 12:29 am

Yes, individual clock input per track is possible for quite some time now.

You can find all info about configurable settings here: http://www.orthogonaldevices.com/er-102 ... config-ini

ANder here are the releas notes for all the firmware updates: http://www.orthogonaldevices.com/er-102/release-notes

cloudswim
Common Wiggler

Post by cloudswim » Wed May 05, 2021 1:47 am

Leverkusen wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:29 am
Yes, individual clock input per track is possible for quite some time now.

You can find all info about configurable settings here: http://www.orthogonaldevices.com/er-102 ... config-ini

ANder here are the releas notes for all the firmware updates: http://www.orthogonaldevices.com/er-102/release-notes
ah that is amazing.... I do not own the 102 but couldn't find anything on the manual regarding the per track clocking. Could you just explain briefly on how it might work?

thanks!

cloudswim
Common Wiggler

Post by cloudswim » Wed May 05, 2021 2:01 am

edit: so going through the firmware updates, I understand that these are just multiples of the clk input am I correct? I was thinking 4 seperate clk inputs for the 4 tracks. but this is pretty cool none the less, which is also implemented on the 101.

Simultaneous Clock Divide and Multiply

- Now you can divide the clock as well as multiply the clock.
- Generate clocks that just multiply or just divide cannot achieve, such as 2/3 or 5/7 of the original clock.
- "Focus press" the TRACK button to get to the track configuration screen and adjust the divider and multiplier amounts.
- NOTE! The multiply amount has been moved to the STEP display and the divide amount is shown in the DURATION display (just like a ratio 2:3, 1:2, 13:19 and so on).

edit 2:

I found this in the config file

[Track 1]
; Clock Source
;
; Typically, each track receives its clock signal from the CLOCK input
; on the ER-101 (aka global). However, you can also have this track receive
; its clock from one of the GATE mod inputs (X, Y, and Z).
;
; global | X | Y | Z
clock = global

I'm HAPPY! haha just need to find a 102 unit.....

borboto
Common Wiggler

Post by borboto » Wed May 05, 2021 6:54 am

Hi,

Can the Erica Synths Black Sequencer be compared with Er-101? If not, what can Er-101 do that Black Sequencer can't?

sauflesautres
Common Wiggler

Post by sauflesautres » Wed May 05, 2021 3:27 pm

borboto wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 6:54 am
Hi,

Can the Erica Synths Black Sequencer be compared with Er-101? If not, what can Er-101 do that Black Sequencer can't?
At first glance they seem quite different. I only have used the ER-101 (also got ER-102) so i can't comment much on the Black Sequencer. ER-101 lets you changed duration per step. You can also set loop points to be across patterns. You can define your own tuning tables. ER-102 adds a lot of functionality to it. Like CV controllable transformations that can apply to selected steps (or all). ER-102 also saves revisions everytime you save a snapshot, makes it fun to try new things and go back later to previous versions. There's a lot of different ways to record into the ER-102, which can be creatively used.

A quick look revels the Black Sequencer has a built-in song mode. Which might be more convenient that using ER-101 + ER-102 combo to replicate something like this. Also the built-in knobs of Black Sequencer look like good fun. ER-101 requires external clocking, seems like Black Sequencer has its own.

I would also take a look at Endorphin.es Ground Control. It has drum + cv/gate tracks.

I wouldn't change my ER-101 + ER-102 combo for anything else but it depends on needs and tastes.

2disbetter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 2disbetter » Wed May 05, 2021 4:20 pm

Getting a hold of the ER-102 is pretty difficult now as a part for it is scarce and O|D hasn't been able to build any. Really hoping that luck changes soon.

Or anybody is interested, I'm looking to buy the 101/2 combo. :tu:

me0w9
Learning to Wiggle

Post by me0w9 » Wed May 05, 2021 5:21 pm

2disbetter wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 4:20 pm
Getting a hold of the ER-102 is pretty difficult now as a part for it is scarce and O|D hasn't been able to build any. Really hoping that luck changes soon.

Or anybody is interested, I'm looking to buy the 101/2 combo. :tu:
So am I...I’m inspired by colin benders and caterina barbieri using it. dibs after you get one!
I thought I heard rumors orthogonal devices will be shipping internationally “imminently”...

rockwoofstone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rockwoofstone » Fri May 14, 2021 1:13 pm

I'm seeing what seems like incorrect behaviour on the E-102, and was wondering if anyone can see what I'm doing wrong (or if this is actually a bug I've discovered). Here's the scenario:

I have 2 patterns, each with 2 steps, and 2 parts set up, with 1 part covering the first and last steps in pattern 1, and the other the same in pattern 2. No reset point is set in either part.

I'm controlling part selection with a CV, and triggering the transition by sending a gate into the transition jack socket. In this situation (operating in user transition mode, with “immediate” selected in the .ini file), the part transition occurs the moment a high signal is sent into the transition input; i.e. the transition occurs on the rising input. Behaviour is as expected and as documented.

However, if reset points are set (in this example, to the first step in each pattern), then that same high gate signal on the transition input pauses the sequence until that gate drops again; i.e. the transition doesn’t occur until the input transition gate drops.

This seems odd (possibly a bug?), as the latter case isn’t respecting the “immediate” setting, but instead is following an undocumented state which seems to be “pause everything until the current transition gate signal drops”. Bug, feature, or intended behaviour?

potatobrain
Common Wiggler

Post by potatobrain » Fri May 21, 2021 5:44 am

SavageMessiah wrote:
DJ Tap Water wrote:
Is that really thus? I’d say it’s quite a flaw in the design. Can anybody elaborate on this?

x2mirko
Veteran Wiggler

Post by x2mirko » Fri May 21, 2021 6:05 am

potatobrain wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 5:44 am
SavageMessiah wrote:
DJ Tap Water wrote:
Is that really thus? I’d say it’s quite a flaw in the design. Can anybody elaborate on this?
It is true that there is a delay between the gate output going high and the cv value being set to the correct value. From my memory from discussions with Brian, this is because the ER-101 allows for unsteady clocks and prioritizes the fastest possible reaction times. The gate output goes high almost immediately on an incoming clock, but the DAC for the CV output has some latency, which is why there is a slight delay.

However, 3ms is definitely wrong (and would be absurdly bad latency for a DAC), it's more like 0.2ms between the gate output going high and the CV output being set to the correct value. This is not an issue for most applications, but can be an issue when the gate triggers an action based on the current cv value (and the module receiving the voltages is very quick in its reaction time). In that case, a simple trigger/gate delay does the trick.

potatobrain
Common Wiggler

Post by potatobrain » Sat May 22, 2021 1:05 am

x2mirko wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 6:05 am
It is true that there is a delay between the gate output going high and the cv value being set to the correct value. From my memory from discussions with Brian, this is because the ER-101 allows for unsteady clocks and prioritizes the fastest possible reaction times. The gate output goes high almost immediately on an incoming clock, but the DAC for the CV output has some latency, which is why there is a slight delay.

However, 3ms is definitely wrong (and would be absurdly bad latency for a DAC), it's more like 0.2ms between the gate output going high and the CV output being set to the correct value. This is not an issue for most applications, but can be an issue when the gate triggers an action based on the current cv value (and the module receiving the voltages is very quick in its reaction time). In that case, a simple trigger/gate delay does the trick.
Thanks, with 0.2 one will hardly hear any audible delay, I believe.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”