OMFG i want an analog delay

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

daren
Common Wiggler

Post by daren »

Too bad there isn't a 3U tape delay that took in 8track or cassette. I'd all be up in that.
God_Albino
Common Wiggler

Post by God_Albino »

bro, that's like saying 'too bad i don't have a machine where i put in rocks and candy comes out'. a lot of people would be all up in that shit too. the interenet isn't a place for things that aren't real, silly.
felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer »

God_Albino wrote:power-starving it does some insane shit.
good tip. i try that not often enough. might warrant a frontpanel knob ....

main difference between guitar and synth (signal wise) is that a guitar typically has a very high output impedance. which makes it really sensitive to the input stage of the next box. hence the larger variations in tone.
don't need midi, don't need keys, just want knobs and cables (all together now ;-)
dequalsrxt
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dequalsrxt »

bkbirge wrote:
studiokpg wrote:Is there a standalone delay that can be easily hacked for voltage control?
My old RDS 3600 (Digitech) delay has voltage control as an input, can be used for LFO or delay time I believe, I've never used it. I think a lot of the older digital units early to mid 80's had that. If you go to loopersdelight.com they'll help with info, they are all about delays though mainly guitar players.
These are nice. My roomie has the 7.6 Time Machine; got a 2100 myself. Both have cv inputs for delay time; it's labelled VCO input. I dare say they even take bipolar voltage and also respond to really fast modulation, but don't quote me on that. I'm not home to be able to check. They have trigger inputs and hold inputs: put in a gate, get a loop! I really dig 'em. In fact, I'd like to have one more, because it doesn't sound like roomie wants to give me his... I don't have so much desire for a delay module as long as I have these: they have all the features I want, plus I highly doubt that anything that comes out will cost the $50- $75 that you can get these for.
mark_snipz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mark_snipz »

Just got El Capistan and it is amazing...such a lovely sound, have SOS but to be honest I'd rather have the pedal as a standalone...another horizontal surface to play with my upcoming skiff...
giorgio
NITE MIND

Post by giorgio »

i'm feeling the line6 echo park with the tap tempo feature. it is nice. for voltage controlled stuff i have an effectron and a loft analog delay.

I have a few other delay pedals and rack units, but I'd still like something simple and nice in eurorack format. doesn't need to be analog.
▲✌♡✂☃☂☁☀☻☹☺♢✄✐☒☠☣☢☤☎✇✈✖▼
Mndscrpt
Common Wiggler

Re: OMFG i want an analog delay

Post by Mndscrpt »

Hi! Hijacking th thread for a question:

I absolutely love the vrs-23 but recent hype in hardware makes it hard to find.
Is there something in euro which comes close to this bbd reverb combo?
Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re:

Post by Multi Grooves »

nickciontea wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:31 am i sold off my space echo. but i think i will buy one again when teh prices change
How's that price change working out?
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

F.s. (x2) FRAP Group, (x2) FRAP channels
LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT »

Mndscrpt wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:05 am Hi! Hijacking th thread for a question:

You know this this thread has been dead for twelve years, right?
Powerdwarf
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Re:

Post by Powerdwarf »

Multi Grooves wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:59 am
nickciontea wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:31 am i sold off my space echo. but i think i will buy one again when teh prices change
How's that price change working out?
:DDD
Powerdwarf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Powerdwarf »

LDT wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:28 am
Mndscrpt wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:05 am Hi! Hijacking th thread for a question:

You know this this thread has been dead for twelve years, right?
GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy »

Xaoc Sarajewo might be the closest thing but it won’t do the reverb thing as well.

Or possibly Mimeophon—digital but textures and allows for reverb-like smear
Mndscrpt
Common Wiggler

Post by Mndscrpt »

LDT wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:28 am You know this this thread has been dead for twelve years, right?
Yes. It's a time machine. And yet you are here...
:wiard:
kriskeyman
Common Wiggler

Post by kriskeyman »

Kudos for using search, I guess? Lol
transistorresistor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by transistorresistor »

when twelve years have passed since the conversation stopped, I dont think you have to worry about hijacking it.
JohnLRice
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by JohnLRice »

Not sure. Maybe start with a narrow search on ModularGrid and then research the results and ask questions about what you finding interesting? :tu: Here's one possible search to start with?
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/modules/b ... ection=asc
Please Watch My YouTube Videos! :hug: https://www.youtube.com/JohnLRice
YouTube now puts ads on my videos and I get no monies until I reach the minimum hours viewed! :mad: :cry:
bphenix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bphenix »

transistorresistor wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:53 pm
when twelve years have passed since the conversation stopped, I dont think you have to worry about hijacking it.
Yeah, it isn’t a hijacking, just a long delay. Since we are talking a analog delays, roughly a 7,750,287,360,000 stage BBD design. No wonder there are no more MN3005 to be found.
Kosmikos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kosmikos »

The vrs-23 has 5 BBD chips per lane (10 total in stereo), you’re going to struggle to find that in Eurorack.
The Xaoc Sarajewo, as mentioned above, is a two taps BBD so you’d need a few of these to get the full desired effect.
Also the 1bit delay from Feedback looks interesting, 2 taps recreation of an 80s design.
On the digital front, the Strymon Magneto has 4 taps, and an added reverb. It’s probably the closer in term of complexity, but might not sound anything like an all analog vrs.
grrrwaaa
Wiggling with Experience

Post by grrrwaaa »

I'd also consider pt2399 delays if you are into delays that can utterly destroy a signal
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/modules/b ... ame=Pt2399

I am tempted by ST Singer, synthfox delta-t, nlc poultry in motion, for example.
hypnoz
Common Wiggler

Post by hypnoz »

Kosmikos wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:23 am

The vrs-23 has 5 BBD chips per lane (10 total in stereo), you’re going to struggle to find that in Eurorack.
The Xaoc Sarajewo, as mentioned above, is a two taps BBD so you’d need a few of these to get the full desired effect.
Also the 1bit delay from Feedback looks interesting, 2 taps recreation of an 80s design.
On the digital front, the Strymon Magneto has 4 taps, and an added reverb. It’s probably the closer in term of complexity, but might not sound anything like an all analog vrs.
1 but delay looks interesting, but has to be one of the worst looking modules aesthetically I have ever seen, if modulargrid is representative of it.
Kosmikos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kosmikos »

hypnoz wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:10 pm 1 but delay looks interesting, but has to be one of the worst looking modules aesthetically I have ever seen, if modulargrid is representative of it.
I actually quite like the Feedback modules’ design language, it’s very 80s. Makes me feel all glowing on the inside... :oops:
They also look quite ergonomic.
grrrwaaa wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:52 pm I'd also consider pt2399 delays if you are into delays that can utterly destroy a signal
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/modules/b ... ame=Pt2399

I am tempted by ST Singer, synthfox delta-t, nlc poultry in motion, for example.
Good point, it reminds me that I have an ST Modular Singer that I still have to build. The reason I bought it is that I really liked the sound of their inexpensive (PT2399 based) 2hp ST Modular Delay V2. A good place to start if you are wondering what a PT delay sounds like.
hypnoz
Common Wiggler

Post by hypnoz »

I mean why yellow though? Yuck
M01C
Common Wiggler

Post by M01C »

hypnoz wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:48 pm I mean why yellow though? Yuck
It's not yellow. It is gold.
Mndscrpt
Common Wiggler

Post by Mndscrpt »

kriskeyman wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:17 pm Kudos for using search, I guess? Lol
Since the vrs was mentioned very often in this thread i thought my question would fit great here. :*
Wavtekt
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Wavtekt »

Personally, I like PT2399 delay more than BBD delay, though it is not really analog because of the ADC->DAC circuitry.

PT2399 delay have a larger range than BBD delay, so you don't need multiple chip to do chorus / long delay.

BBD's clock whining noise is more annoying than the sample rate degradation of PT2399 delay.

Nevertheless, one of the advantages of BBD delay is, it can be synced with tempo, but PT2399 delay can't.

Anyways, it is hard to get an analog delay without any of the issues mentioned above. You either embrace it, or stay away from it ...

It's 2022 now, I wonder why no one was able to resolve these issues ...

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”