Ryk Vector vs Ziqal Dimension

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
bunq
Learning to Wiggle

Ryk Vector vs Ziqal Dimension

Post by bunq »

Hello!
Did anyone had the chance to compare these two modules ? I understand they are both wavetable+super midi fonctionnalities, but I wonder how do they sound in comparison, and what differences they have?
Votek_Mendo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Ryk Vector vs Ziqal Dimension

Post by Votek_Mendo »

They seems very different to me.
I havent played with any of these but from the descriptions and video at least.
WTB: Publison KB2000 & DHM 89 B2, Vestax Faderboard, Electrospace TIME matrix, Syntovox 221

https://twitter.com/Votek_Mendo
http://soundcloud.com/votek_mendo
http://statigr.am/votek_mendo
nios
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nios »

The Vector is to me more along the lines of a what-if kind of evolution of 80s digital ideas (a la udo super 6) while the Dimension is more like the no-holds-barred incarnation of the most modern wavetable approaches, but they do both have a lot of polyphony on-tap to distinguish them. I must say I kind of dislike the Vector's display even though it looks very very cool/retro-chic just because it's IMO a bit too low res for text and makes it harder than it should be to navigate around on the thing.

The vector is however much more original and characterful, albeit slightly hindered by its interface in practicality. Like in a few years something else will come along that's basically just Dimension but better (a dimension mk4/5 etc if nothing else) while the Vector would still be rather unique; you don't exactly run into vector synths every day. Doesn't mean Dimension is bad at all, just going for a different thing and if you wanted wavetable more than vector synth you'd find it far better. Even so I wouldn't mind a Vector mkII with say a big OLED that can display more lines of clear readable text if needed and can otherwise just emulate the dot matrix look the current one is stuck on if you like; I'm imagining something like a much-larger version of the PNW screen. Another thing I'd imagine would be sensible (and would work way-way better with a hi-res display) would be to add wave sequencing like the Wavestation, only without having to you know, deal with programming a Wavestation.
13moons
Common Wiggler

Post by 13moons »

I have both. They are very different. I was on the fence about purchasing both; however, I realized they would both have a place in my rack. I love them for different reasons.. they have very distinct voices that I very much enjoy. They have a lot of wiggle !

from their manuals -

The RYK- “ The Vector Wave is a FM & Harmonic synthesiser voice, with four bank vector synthesis or true four voice polyphony with in built Envelopes and LFO modulation sources. The Vector Wave has 16 sine wave oscillators, divided into four Banks A,B,C,D. These oscillators can be configured in series or parallel combinations to create complex FM or additive waveforms and textures There are four Modes, that allocate the Oscillator Banks in different ways: VECTor, POLYphonic, and MULTi-timbral. Oscillator banks can be created with quick set-ups of harmonic spreads, random formant style clusters, and chords groups in the Oscillator Menu which also allows for saving and loading of individual banks. The joystick position Vectors can be stored, and then animated or triggered from modulation sources. There are 6 available Modulation Slots allowing external CV sources, and the internal modulation sources to be routed to any parameter within the Vector Wave. User Voice Patches containing all the Oscillator Bank settings, modulation patches, envelope and LFO settings etc can be stored in internal memory and recalled at a later time from the Setting MIDI input can be used instead of V/Oct GATE, and also allows velocity, aftertouch and MIDI CCs as modulation sources. MIDI Program Change messages automatically load User Voice Patches when received by the Vector Wave. The optional Expander module adds three more V/Oct and Gate inputs, allowing the module to be utilised as four separate individual synth voices”

The dimension is a Wave table oscillator. “ Matching highest wavetable resolution standards and compatible with popular wavetable formats standards like Serum and Vital, the Dimension can benefit from a large and easily available collection of wavetables. Its compatibility let user to import wavetables created from computer software environment directly in its eurorack system.
On top of this, the high-performance CPU allows the reproduction of up to 24 simultaneous wavetables oscillators replica. These oscillators, depending on the active configuration, can be used to create chords, unisons, dual oscillator output, LFOs, or even a full 4 voice polyphony. The secondary output, if not used to output a stereo audio signal, can be configured and used as an LFO output, secondary oscillator output, or MIDI converter utility outputting CVs, CC, Clock and more...
But that's not all – the Dimension MK3 also features internal VCAs, ADSRs, VCFs, wavetable real-time warping and transformation, note quantizer, multi-dimensional wavetable morphing, and more...”

Edit- my experience with both companies has been top notch. RYK has been very active in their thread. Ziqal has been super friendly and has gone the extra mile to be helpful via email.
Last edited by 13moons on Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
bunq
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bunq »

Thank you! They are very different indeed, I don't know why I thought Ryk Vector was a wavetable.. Both seem to be capable of complete polysynth, they sound great on videos I have seen, I will have to try them in real world :)
13moons
Common Wiggler

Post by 13moons »

bunq wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:28 am Thank you! They are very different indeed, I don't know why I thought Ryk Vector was a wavetable.. Both seem to be capable of complete polysynth, they sound great on videos I have seen, I will have to try them in real world :)
:tu:

That seems to be common. i initially thought that as well… Others I have spoken to were under the same impression. The reference to the sine waves in the modules name is why I thought that when I first heard of it .

I wish I could do a good job of communicating how they sound. I don’t want to corrupt your impression of them by giving my subjective thoughts .

I can say that Neither have brought me disappointment.
bunq
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bunq »

Yes please tell me more about your impressions on how they sound, I am curious to know in what context you prefer one over the other. What about their interfaces and their programmation ? I am looking for complex stereo drones but also maybe polyphonic synthesis to replace a desktop synth like Deepmind for ex
clusterchord
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by clusterchord »

i've neither, but interested..

i still use old DX7 and VS, and feel Ryk tone floats in between them (with emphasys on the former), yet with added resolution/fidelity, and plasticity of modulation due to CV, that you couldn't have before due to crude resolution of 80s midi sysex and cc's. i love the lofi, larger than life element in old gear, but am also drawn to the extended, gorgeous top end offered by the Wave Vector, and prospects of using it in a cv enviroment.

from what i could extrapolate from very few demos, Ziqal tone goes in direction of modern VSTi wavetable solutions like Serum etc. i feel its very different/complementary to sounds i am used to from my Harvestman or Synthtech. maybe smoother, less crude/clangorous. i like the cloud/detune mode examples, and some that practically step into virtual analog. like this one:

with that, i am leaning towards Vector. its seems more unique, and also i've way too many wavetable devices already, in euro and standalone, so i am more excited by pretty fm tones coming from the Ryk. never the less, Dimension still intrigues. mk1 and mk2 version came and went completely under the radar. and now that wigglers have noticed it more, i hope we will finally see more demos of it.

@13moons: can you tell me if there is an audible noise floor on the Vector Wave ? i've noticed some, on both official demos and few wiggler demos, listening on my headphones. it's not a deal breaker, but would love to hear from an actual owner.. thanks
Last edited by clusterchord on Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

5117 2022 · Space Case 2022 · Skiff ES · System100 · SH101 · Sem · Mini · Wave2 · OBXa · Prophet 5 · etc

WTB: CMS 1047 · WMD Gamma Wave · CCCP Kotelnikov · Bionic Lester mk1
1kip
Common Wiggler

Post by 1kip »

clusterchord wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:18 am
@13moons: can you tell me if there is an audible noise floor on the Vector Wave ? i've noticed some, on both official demos and few wiggler demos, listening on my headphones. it's not a deal breaker, but would love to hear from an actual owner.. thanks
No noise floor at all on the Vector Wave on my side.
Smapti
Common Wiggler

Post by Smapti »

I only have the Vector Wave but I can say that (as far as I know) there's nothing else like it in eurorack. There are other oscillators that do DX-style digital FM but none of them (a) have this level of fine control over partials (including more than 2 operators), (b) polyphony, and (c) nail the classic DX "glassy" inharmonic sound so beautifully. I wanted something like this when I got into euro but it simply didn't exist until now. It's fantastic.

On the other hand, although Ziqal looks like an excellent oscillator, you can't throw a stone without hitting a eurorack wavetable osc. They're way more common than DX-style digital FM with 3 or more operators, which is still quite uncommon.
13moons
Common Wiggler

Post by 13moons »

bunq wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:43 am Yes please tell me more about your impressions on how they sound, I am curious to know in what context you prefer one over the other. What about their interfaces and their programmation ? I am looking for complex stereo drones but also maybe polyphonic synthesis to replace a desktop synth like Deepmind for ex

Sorry for taking so long to reply, just waking up.

Clusterchord and Smapti pretty Much nailed it. The insight shared is spot on and I can’t do a better job conveying my impression. I can say The Ziqal being a wavetable device has a broader range. I owned the Waldorf xt in the past and it reminds me of it a lot. The wave tables allow it to take on many different tonalities. While there is no mistaking it for an analog sound source..It does it all quite well imo. If you have serum or pigments plug-ins you can get a good idea of what you would be getting with the dimension. It’s a fantastic modern wavetable device in euro rack format.

The Ryk has the -All the qualities clusterchord and smapti eloquently conveyed. It’s has a lovely FM / dx-7 sound to it; while, it’s range is much more limited, it’s voice is quite unique.

I’d not want to part with either. I really enjoy them both a great deal.
clusterchord wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:18 am
I have not noticed noise with my Vector.

Edit- in regards to dimension vs other wavetable modules… I can’t give a direct comparison as the only other wavetable type module I own is the swn… I can say that the dimension has a very clean sound. To me… It doesn’t seem to color the wave tables in a discernible way. Its voice is very Crisp. I dig it.
bunq
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bunq »

Thank you very much for these insights!

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”