Your favorite stereo creative "analog" delays?

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
Headlands
Ultra Wiggler

Your favorite stereo creative "analog" delays?

Post by Headlands »

I'm looking to add this at some point relatively soon and am curious what you use and like. I need to be able to do interesting and unusual things with it, so not just a simple delay (already have that covered). I like the "analog" approach, but am open to digital as well. Both 4ms Tapographic and Make Noise Mimeophon look really interesting, for different reasons. Would love to hear from people who use those and also others out there that you like. I have two Versios but use those mostly for interesting reverbs and also the great Multi that someone here made for it.

(Def not looking for a multi FX like FX Aid, etc. -- I want something that's much deeper and more CV-able in interesting ways.)
Last edited by Headlands on Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Is that the site with the weird cats on it?"

Current setup (with external Moog Matriarch and ES Black Sequencer): https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1991553
GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Your favorite stereo creative "analog" delays?

Post by GuyaGuy »

The ones that have stuck around for me:

BBD: Xaoc Sarajewo. Sounds gorgeous, has multi-tap delay lines, and does the harmonic quantization when CVing time

Mimeophon: Not sure how analog this sounds really. It can sound nice and warm but it doesn’t make me think of tape or BBD. For me its strengths are really the zones and Karplus-Strong.

T Rex Replicator: Not stereo but can be cool to have a dry signal on one channel and the other 100% wet at no repeats and lowest delay time for tape-ification effects. Wish it had clock sync though.
ee_
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ee_ »

BBDs aren’t entirely my cup of tea, but if you approach them more as a spacey sound design tool as opposed to a traditional echoing delay, they can be pretty fun. I have an Erica Synths Black BBD up for trade/sale in the respective forum. Also had a Nostalgia, which was fun enough for its low price. Soma LyraFX is a really nice grunge delay, with particularly cool sounding feedback. If you want to do some noisy feedback driven stuff that one is well worth a look.

I’ve had a Mimeophon and currently have a Tapographic. I think they’re both excellent options. The Mimeophon is a relatively straightforward delay but you can modulate its timings to pretty interesting effect and get some crazy stuff out of it. Tapographic is kind of ingenious, just recently picked one up, and it’s a lot of fun to use. Both are syncable which is nice. Can’t go wrong with either, though Tapographic requires some tutorial watching to get your head around.

If you have the HP and cash to spare, Magneto offers a lot of sound design possibilities that go beyond just standard echoing. And if you have Versio I’m sure you’ve used Imitor — I get a lot of mileage out of that one.
natureclubcassettes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by natureclubcassettes »

Sarajewo. Hard pan the various taps, put the mix output in the middle.
szzdz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by szzdz »

verbos multi delay - all the envelope followers, de/crescendo tap outs, sliders, multiple audio and cv/fm inputs, interesting shimmer fx and feedback options. no clock input and it doesnt go all that slow, but its so fun and using both cv inputs for fm is so nasty
BLogic12
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BLogic12 »

I like digitally modeled analog more than analog delays.
They are less noisy and less time limited.
Strymon magneto, Erica black stereo delay, qu bit nautilus etc.
current fave is the delay in the warps parasites firmware. I’ve tried a lot of other delays and I keep coming back to this one.
I just love how the feedback trails behaves when modulated with the lfo.
Posted this video recently showing it. Using the after later audio version of the module here. There’s a version of the firmware with internal lfo which I have loaded.
I just love how the feedback trails behave when modulating time with the lfo, how it pitch shifts and the speed it reacts is just perfect to me. Tried to do it with other delays analog and digital, and some can get close but not quite nail it like this algorithm does imo

While the DLD is my first choice for clock synced precision high quality delay, warps parasites delay is my go to for rubbery pitch bendy character delay.
Last edited by BLogic12 on Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
thelowerrhythm
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thelowerrhythm »

I love digital delays personally, so the Dwarf Star Stereo Delay from Blue Lantern is at the top of my list. Not a fan of the FX Level vs having a proper Dry / Wet, but it's hard to beat for ergonomics and function per dollar. It may not have "creative" features, but it always finds itself in weird parts of the patch. I chalk it up to the PT2399 being such an abuse-able chip.

Much flashier I'd add another mention for the Nautilus. It's pretty joyful to use.
"Ah yeah, you’ve got that strange blend of apathy and self-flagellation that somehow gets you where you want to go."
Headlands
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Headlands »

BLogic12 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:40 pm I like digitally modeled analog more than analog delays.
They are less noisy and less time limited.
Strymon magneto, Erica black stereo delay, qu bit nautilus etc.
current fave is the delay in the warps parasites firmware. I’ve tried a lot of other delays and I keep coming back to this one.
I just love how the feedback trails behaves when modulated with the lfo.
Posted this video recently showing it. Using the after later audio version of the module here. There’s a version of the firmware with internal lfo which I have loaded.
I just love how the feedback trails behave when modulating time with the lfo, how it pitch shifts and the speed it reacts is just perfect to me. Tried to do it with other delays analog and digital, and some can get close but not quite nail it like this algorithm does imo

While the DLD is my first choice for clock synced precision high quality delay, warps parasites delay is my go to for rubbery pitch bendy character delay.
Cool! Love what you're doing there.

The Nautilus looks the most up my alley of those -- really interesting.

Current setup (with external Moog Matriarch and ES Black Sequencer): https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1991553
Headlands
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Headlands »

ee_ wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:56 pm BBDs aren’t entirely my cup of tea, but if you approach them more as a spacey sound design tool as opposed to a traditional echoing delay, they can be pretty fun. I have an Erica Synths Black BBD up for trade/sale in the respective forum. Also had a Nostalgia, which was fun enough for its low price. Soma LyraFX is a really nice grunge delay, with particularly cool sounding feedback. If you want to do some noisy feedback driven stuff that one is well worth a look.

I’ve had a Mimeophon and currently have a Tapographic. I think they’re both excellent options. The Mimeophon is a relatively straightforward delay but you can modulate its timings to pretty interesting effect and get some crazy stuff out of it. Tapographic is kind of ingenious, just recently picked one up, and it’s a lot of fun to use. Both are syncable which is nice. Can’t go wrong with either, though Tapographic requires some tutorial watching to get your head around.

If you have the HP and cash to spare, Magneto offers a lot of sound design possibilities that go beyond just standard echoing. And if you have Versio I’m sure you’ve used Imitor — I get a lot of mileage out of that one.
Got it, thanks. I think the Tapographic would be more up my alley of those two. It's pretty wild what you can do with it, really unique. Magneto is just too big for my current set up, but it looks insane. Imitor was cool when I tried it but it didn't wow me for some reason, though I definitely need to dig into it more, didn't go too deep.

cierny_vlk
Common Wiggler

Post by cierny_vlk »

BLogic12 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:40 pm current fave is the delay in the warps parasites firmware. I’ve tried a lot of other delays and I keep coming back to this one.

Totally agree on DLD for clean digital and Warps for fun characterful delay. That Warps Parasites delay was an incredibly pleasant surprise.
clwilla
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by clwilla »

You’re unlikely the find true stereo analog delay.

My favorite Euro delay is Venus Instruments Veno-Echo.
jkanizzle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jkanizzle »

If you have the space, Moog Matriarch has a built in stereo bbd that’s GORGEOUS and eurorack compatible.
Stu B
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stu B »

I really want Magneto. I have Mimeophon and it’s a wicked tool but the hissing really f*cks me off. I’ve tried gain staging every which way I can think of and it’s still audible.

Sorry for being the one to bring it up here but it was inevitable someone would..
etckla
Ultra Wiggler

Post by etckla »

Another shout out to NLC Dispersion Delay, my only dedicated delay

It's 3x independent bandpass filters going into 3x independent PT delays with some nice normalisations

It's intentionally noisy/gritty, and breaks up at longer delay length.

You can easily make a complex stereo image by running things in parallel - or run everything in series/feedback if you really want.

It's super niche to be an only delay and it's a bit finickety to dial in delay lengths and filter frequencies but I'm really into it as an effect, distortion, sound source, ancient texturiser so I'm very happy to let it take up 18hp or whatever in my rack. You can quite easily get into Chain Reaction territory with very little input.
Current system

WTB[UK]: Sport Modulator
Pagoda-100
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Pagoda-100 »

My vote goes to Verbos Multidelay.
9 envelope follower outputs
5 outputs
dual time CVs
2 feedback loops or pitch shifting reverb

No screens, No button combos.
Total blast
Headlands
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Headlands »

Stu B wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:16 pm I really want Magneto. I have Mimeophon and it’s a wicked tool but the hissing really f*cks me off. I’ve tried gain staging every which way I can think of and it’s still audible.

Sorry for being the one to bring it up here but it was inevitable someone would..
Oof. No Mimeophon for me, then. I love the delay on my Matriarch but the noise is something I definitely don't love about it.

robotsarered
Common Wiggler

Post by robotsarered »

thelowerrhythm wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:46 pm I love digital delays personally, so the Dwarf Star Stereo Delay from Blue Lantern is at the top of my list. Not a fan of the FX Level vs having a proper Dry / Wet, but it's hard to beat for ergonomics and function per dollar. It may not have "creative" features, but it always finds itself in weird parts of the patch. I chalk it up to the PT2399 being such an abuse-able chip.

Much flashier I'd add another mention for the Nautilus. It's pretty joyful to use.
I came here to mention this one! I agree with the dry/wet, it performs more like a guitar pedal delay, which I kind of like. I also love the Momentary/Toggle input for more selective delay.

And when you push it to longer delay times, the sound gets really crunchy and broken up for some cool effects.
GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy »

Headlands just wanted to make sure we know what he means by delay...
Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 10.05.19 PM.png
Happyanimal
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Happyanimal »

Prefer non-euro delays myself-
Guitar pedals:
PolarBear effects petrichor
Mid-fi electronics deluxe pitch pirate

OTO BIM (stereo)

Magneto (stereo)

Matriarch (stereo)

Tape
Fulltone tube echo
SpaceCase TE-1
Echofix

Can’t get enough delays over here.

Hated the tapographic, much preferred the DLD.
clwilla
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by clwilla »

Happyanimal wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:29 pm Prefer non-euro delays myself-
Guitar pedals:
PolarBear effects petrichor
Mid-fi electronics deluxe pitch pirate

OTO BIM (stereo)

Magneto (stereo)

Matriarch (stereo)

Tape
Fulltone tube echo
SpaceCase TE-1
Echofix

Can’t get enough delays over here.

Hated the tapographic, much preferred the DLD.
You have fine taste, sir. I’m a delay junky myself, even if I’ve recently sold most of them.

Eurorack:
Qu-Bit Natilus (stereo)
Venus Instruments Veno-Echo (stereo)
Make Noise Mimeophon (stereo)
Bizarre Jezabel Quarte (multi tap)
MI Beads (stereo)

Pedals:
Free The Tone Future Factory (stereo)
OBNE Minim
OBNE Rêver
Meris Polymoon (stereo)
Vongon Polyphrase (stereo)
MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe
Others I can’t remember

Outboard:
Echo Fix EF-X2 (x2)

I never did get a Fulltone, but twin Echo Fix EF-X2 are pretty nice.
Roy72
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Roy72 »

How do you like the Vongon Polyphase?
clusterchord
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by clusterchord »

GuyaGuy wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:06 pm Headlands just wanted to make sure we know what he means by delay...
bwahahaha :hihi:

you just made my day..

in the rack i dont have much in stereo (delay mode on Typhoon which i love, and delay on Beads i rarely use), the main gear is out of rack (Timefactor, H3000se, SRS56 etc), which are all creative and flexible in their own way, tho Dynacord is the only one that is truly analog and stereo.

for now, what i feel i'm missing is a tweakable hi fidelity stereo delay in the rack, that can go from precision flange range to slow repeats. thus far, ive found Erica Black to best fit that desciption. its digital, but reacts to modulation in very analog, musical fashion, which i really like. Multiversio stereo/dual delay demo sounded good too in this direction, tho i don't know what its min/max delay range is. still deciding.

if you love BBDs, Xaoc Sarajewo sounds @#$% magnificent. sole reason i didn't buy one immediately is, i already have a few great bbd delays outside of euro, so it wasn't an immediate priority. its inevitable tho..

5117 2022 · Space Case 2022 · Skiff ES · System100 · SH101 · Sem · Mini · Wave2 · OBXa · Prophet 5 · etc

WTB: CMS 1047 · WMD Gamma Wave · CCCP Kotelnikov · Bionic Lester mk1
harmash
Learning to Wiggle

Post by harmash »

If Magneto is too big for your setup, just buy one more case :D
Magneto is amazing, it just makes everything you do beautiful. I use it mostly in shift mode with /4 or /8 divided clock to make looped and pitch shifted parts. You can loop a part and pitch shift it in scales you choose
clwilla
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by clwilla »

Roy72 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:05 am How do you like the Vongon Polyphase?
I just got it, and haven’t had a chance to mess with it yet.
clwilla
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by clwilla »

clusterchord wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:23 am
GuyaGuy wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:06 pm Headlands just wanted to make sure we know what he means by delay...
bwahahaha :hihi:

you just made my day..

in the rack i dont have much in stereo (delay mode on Typhoon which i love, and delay on Beads i rarely use), the main gear is out of rack (Timefactor, H3000se, SRS56 etc), which are all creative and flexible in their own way, tho Dynacord is the only one that is truly analog and stereo.

for now, what i feel i'm missing is a tweakable hi fidelity stereo delay in the rack, that can go from precision flange range to slow repeats. thus far, ive found Erica Black to best fit that desciption. its digital, but reacts to modulation in very analog, musical fashion, which i really like. Multiversio stereo/dual delay demo sounded good too in this direction, tho i don't know what its min/max delay range is. still deciding.

if you love BBDs, Xaoc Sarajewo sounds @#$% magnificent. sole reason i didn't buy one immediately is, i already have a few great bbd delays outside of euro, so it wasn't an immediate priority. its inevitable tho..
Veno-Echo.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”