Ideal temperature range for Eurorack modules/power supplies?

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
100m
Common Wiggler

Ideal temperature range for Eurorack modules/power supplies?

Post by 100m »

I bought a piece of audio equipment last week and noticed in the user manual that it should be kept above 40 degrees (F). That got me to wondering, just out of curiosity, what the ideal operating ranges for Eurorack equipment (modules, Doepfer rack and PSU3, etc) is. And what the "limit", cold (and as long as we're on the subject, hot) is. If my experience with computer equipment is any guide, electronics generally like it cooler.

More of a thought exercise or exercise in curiosity than an actual concern, but, as said, was just curious.
SysEx Addict
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Ideal temperature range for Eurorack modules/power supplies?

Post by SysEx Addict »

Moisture condensation will short traces, other than that perhaps some components will create other adverse effects? Maybe someone more clever than me can elaborate.
Mungo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Mungo »

In general:
Too cold, reduced performance/non operating
Too hot, reduced lifespan/non operating

Most things are designed around operating at room temperature, not in the sun in the desert, or buried in snow. If it is comfortable for a person its probably ok for electronics.
rocknrolla
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rocknrolla »

Was wondering the same. Due to current energy prices I am keeping around 15C at home, but humidity does not really go above 70%. Not sure if that could harm anything.
100m
Common Wiggler

Post by 100m »

rocknrolla wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:32 pm Was wondering the same. Due to current energy prices I am keeping around 15C at home, but humidity does not really go above 70%. Not sure if that could harm anything.
The same here, around 15 to 18 C inside, with humidity around 70. Hopefully is fine....?
MothraVsMechaBilbo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MothraVsMechaBilbo »

This is an interesting question to me. My place is old and the only room that would acceptably work as a studio is upstairs in the poorly ventilated converted attic. It gets very hot in the summer and the portable AC I have isn’t able to do much. I worry about module lifespan in the 100°f+ hottest days…
radiokoala
must. build. jacuzzi

Post by radiokoala »

You should all be fine — as would our friend Eric Barbour from Metasonix say, what primarily kills electronics is a salty air in particular in some regions in the US. As he was referring to a guy (studio owner with vintage synths), the bloke in question likes to keep windows open on all time and destroyed a ton of gear.

:metasonix: :drinking: :party:
Witness 60 minutes of audio-visual industrial psy-techno
jam-offering (and press like so this wipes away minecraft
videos clean from the trends and we get to see
some proper rave action there, FINALLY):

X WITHOUT Y BOOK(available! pm)
/ My electro-rap debut!! (video)
/ Analog & modular videos
:smoke:
100m
Common Wiggler

Post by 100m »

radiokoala wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:09 pm You should all be fine — as would our friend Eric Barbour from Metasonix say, what primarily kills electronics is a salty air in particular in some regions in the US. As he was referring to a guy (studio owner with vintage synths), the bloke in question likes to keep windows open on all time and destroyed a ton of gear.

:metasonix: :drinking: :party:
Thanks, good to know. When I think of salty air, I think of small towns right on the beach. How much salty air is there in larger cities -- New York, Los Angeles, Lisbon, Barcelona, etc? I mean of course when one is not right on the water. When in New York, for example, in general I don't smell any sea air. The same in the large city where I live, even though I'm not more than a mile from the sea, if that. Except when one is right on the water, it's a whole different quality to the air in a large coastal city than, say, coastal North Carolina, where the electric wires would sing with the salt sir in summer nights.

Hopefully the salt has disappeared from the air by the time it gets here. If not, well, I suppose there's nothing one can do?

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”