small and simple set up centered around DFAM

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
24framemedia
Common Wiggler

small and simple set up centered around DFAM

Post by 24framemedia »

I know there has been threads similar to this before. But I do NOT wish to go into the euro rabbit hole, so I am looking for some suggestions..

What I want is to just make my DFAM more useable than it currently is, to better integrate it into my setup of synths.

Essentially looking to get midi and clock reset which I have found in the way of Sonoclast, thinking about incorporating some type of eurorack sequencer to use with DFAM that can also potentially be connected to vintage synths with cv/gate and midi or at least send midi clock single for sync purposes, so looking for any good suggestions,if any of you use a eurorack sequencer with vintage cv/gate gear and can recommend anything based off personal experience.

Then my final thought is do I add another DFAM to that setup or some other type of eurorack drum synth? And is something else what? Mind you the most important things are simple and budget friendly, I don't want to invest a bunch into this, I'd like to keep it simple and straightforward.
Synthacon, Oxford Oscar, Roland Jupiter 4, Yamaha CS-30, MFB Dominion 1, Modal Electronics 001, EML Electrocomp 500 v2 prototype, Musonics Moog Sonic V, Oberheim TVP, Korg 800dv, Moog DFAM, Sequential 800, Korg Opsix, Oberheim OB-X8,
burdickjp
Wiggling with Experience

Re: small and simple set up centered around DFAM

Post by burdickjp »

I suggest two things: a Marbles and a Syncussion-derived module.
Marbles provides some CV and trigger options, and the syncussion module provides more drum voicing if you'd like.

Since Marbles is discontinued by Mutable Instruments you're looking at an After Later Audio full size clone or a Pachinko. For the Syncussion it'd be Blue Lantern's Syncussion Plus or Michigan Synthwork's SY0.5. I think there might be a few more Syncussion-derived modules, but I'm not familiar with them.

As an alternative to the Marbles you could go for a turing machine. And an alternative for the Syncussion could be a Noise Engineering basimilus iteritas alter.
Last edited by burdickjp on Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
24framemedia
Common Wiggler

Post by 24framemedia »

burdickjp wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:12 pm I suggest two things: a Marbles and a Succussion-derived module.
Marbles provides some CV and trigger options, and the syncussion module provides more drum voicing if you'd like.

Since Marbles is discontinued by Mutable Instruments you're looking at an After Later Audio full size clone or a Pachinko. For the Syncussion it'd be Blue Lantern's Syncussion Plus or Michigan Synthwork's SY0.5. I think there might be a few more Syncussion-derived modules, but I'm not familiar with them.

As an alternative to the Marbles you could go for a turing machine. And an alternative for the Syncussion could be a Noise Engineering basimilus iteritas alter.
Cool thanks for the suggestions, thinking Maths might be a good substitute for Marbles? I also was thinking Pam's as well. I'll look into those percussion suggestions!
Synthacon, Oxford Oscar, Roland Jupiter 4, Yamaha CS-30, MFB Dominion 1, Modal Electronics 001, EML Electrocomp 500 v2 prototype, Musonics Moog Sonic V, Oberheim TVP, Korg 800dv, Moog DFAM, Sequential 800, Korg Opsix, Oberheim OB-X8,
natureclubcassettes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by natureclubcassettes »

Maths is always a good suggestion, but not as a replacement for Marbles
Peng33
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Peng33 »

natureclubcassettes wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:11 pm Maths is always a good suggestion, but not as a replacement for Marbles
Seconded. Maths and Marbles are nothing alike. If you WANTED to get into Euro, Maths seems to be a go-to (I personally never saw a need for it in my workflow), but it has nothing to do with sequencing or creating drumbeats.

Honestly, have you looked at a BeatStep Pro? It has a drum sequencer, two melody/rhythm sequencers, and has MIDI and CV capabilities.
al2o3cr
Common Wiggler

Post by al2o3cr »

On the sequencer front, consider a Korg SQ-64 (though be aware the software is still an ongoing project) - it could be handy if you want to sequence some CV/gate stuff along with MIDI.
Spaceman Jacques
Common Wiggler

Post by Spaceman Jacques »

So the thing about the the euro rabbit hole is it’s surrounded by banana peels…

I was in a similar situation earlier this year: loving the DFAM but wanting to expand on its limitations and thinking about starting a rack. I’ve since gone fully down that rabbit hole. I don’t regret it but I can see how some might. My first module was Pamela’s new workout and it pairs very nicely with the DFAM with its rhythmic capabilities. Will echo that a controlled random type module like marbles is super fun with it, recently for me I’ve been enjoying the Stochastic Instruments SIG.

But if you want to keep it very simple (and cheap!) the Korg SQ-1 is a pretty good option. 16 steps instead of 8, or just 2 extra lanes of modulation.
GOM
Common Wiggler

Post by GOM »

OP is totally gonna end up down the eurorack rabbit hole.

You're gonna get the same answers generally as the tried and tested modules that pair with DFAM are Pam's, Marbles, Maths etc but without knowing the exact thing you're after (something you yourself might not even really know yet, you just know you want more) nobody can really guide you.

Something to consider is that in my experience a lot of the Eurorack users on this board tend to be into some kind of variation of Techno, or ambient (or certainly in terms of that they use their rack for). Most answers will lead you towards modules that would help do one of these two things. That's not to say that any suggested modules cannot be used for other genres cos they can literally be used for anything, but just a disclaimer that most people that will tell you "this module sounds great with this or that" will very much be coming from the perspective of one of these genres, and more than likely a form of Techno if it's the DFAM.
24framemedia
Common Wiggler

Post by 24framemedia »

Peng33 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:33 pm
natureclubcassettes wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:11 pm Maths is always a good suggestion, but not as a replacement for Marbles
Seconded. Maths and Marbles are nothing alike. If you WANTED to get into Euro, Maths seems to be a go-to (I personally never saw a need for it in my workflow), but it has nothing to do with sequencing or creating drumbeats.

Honestly, have you looked at a BeatStep Pro? It has a drum sequencer, two melody/rhythm sequencers, and has MIDI and CV capabilities.
So I know this might seem silly, but I have a serious space issue and my thought process was a small rack with DFAM to work as something along the lines of that but because beatstep pro is a controller that I cannot rack that doesn't help me in that regard, at that point I would just get a beatstep pro and ditch the entire eurorack idea which maybe isn't a bad idea persay but I just don't have space to have it and the DFAM with the few things I need to make that a more functional unit. Since my "studio" also became my office I now have no desk space and I'm resigned to mounting shelving on walls and even that space is already fairly limited, hence my reluctant thoughts on trying to create a simple sequence/rhythm "hub" to use with my vintage synths.
24framemedia
Common Wiggler

Post by 24framemedia »

al2o3cr wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:19 pm On the sequencer front, consider a Korg SQ-64 (though be aware the software is still an ongoing project) - it could be handy if you want to sequence some CV/gate stuff along with MIDI.
I really haven't heard good things from the few people I know that bought one, it doesn't fit in a rack or my preferred workflow.
24framemedia
Common Wiggler

Post by 24framemedia »

Spaceman Jacques wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:53 am So the thing about the the euro rabbit hole is it’s surrounded by banana peels…

I was in a similar situation earlier this year: loving the DFAM but wanting to expand on its limitations and thinking about starting a rack. I’ve since gone fully down that rabbit hole. I don’t regret it but I can see how some might. My first module was Pamela’s new workout and it pairs very nicely with the DFAM with its rhythmic capabilities. Will echo that a controlled random type module like marbles is super fun with it, recently for me I’ve been enjoying the Stochastic Instruments SIG.

But if you want to keep it very simple (and cheap!) the Korg SQ-1 is a pretty good option. 16 steps instead of 8, or just 2 extra lanes of modulation.
Sounds like you could probably offer some great advice as I am trying to avoid what you were trying to avoid, lol! Maybe I should just reconsider altogether? :lol:
24framemedia
Common Wiggler

Post by 24framemedia »

GOM wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:11 am OP is totally gonna end up down the eurorack rabbit hole.

You're gonna get the same answers generally as the tried and tested modules that pair with DFAM are Pam's, Marbles, Maths etc but without knowing the exact thing you're after (something you yourself might not even really know yet, you just know you want more) nobody can really guide you.

Something to consider is that in my experience a lot of the Eurorack users on this board tend to be into some kind of variation of Techno, or ambient (or certainly in terms of that they use their rack for). Most answers will lead you towards modules that would help do one of these two things. That's not to say that any suggested modules cannot be used for other genres cos they can literally be used for anything, but just a disclaimer that most people that will tell you "this module sounds great with this or that" will very much be coming from the perspective of one of these genres, and more than likely a form of Techno if it's the DFAM.
So you bring up a very valid point, style has a lot to do with it! My main styles are ambient but percussion wise I lean toward industrial sounds, think nine inch nails, ministry, front 242, etc. My creative workflow is a live jam setting, I like to keep things simple when I'm working out new ideas so I picked up a MSQ-700 recently for my midi gear as I like that I am able to record and overdub sequences live without opening a laptop. So looking for a sequencer that is fairly basic but will allow me to incorporate my vintage cv gear with the midi stuff and simple percussive stuff but to have some more options than DFAM gives me as a standalone unit. I have been contemplating this for over a year now because I don't want to start buying and selling eurorack modules. I just want the bare bones of what makes sense to accomplish this without a ton of trial and error, maybe that is in fact impossible? The sequencer bit seems the hardest part to figure out in eurorack since I've watched tons of videos and there's so much cool stuff out there but most of it is way to deep for my needs and really there are no videos that I have found of anyone using any of these eurorack sequencers with vintage synths, another thing that keeps me on the fence is everyone gets into euro and then becomes a eurorack person with a big euro setup and I have no interest in that, ha!

Maybe I should just stay away maybe it's unavoidable once you've opened that door?
frenchcustard
Common Wiggler

Post by frenchcustard »

if you have a drum machine/sampler you like programming you could look at a midi to cv converter. the Erica midi to trigger looks like a decent option if you do wind up getting a small rack. i'm using a cre8audio nifty case and using my korg esx for 2 sets of gate/cv and so far that's been enough for what i'm doing (somewhere between new age and industrial)
if it doesn't involve sonics, my interest in any module is in the 0% ballpark
24framemedia
Common Wiggler

Post by 24framemedia »

frenchcustard wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:23 am if you have a drum machine/sampler you like programming you could look at a midi to cv converter. the Erica midi to trigger looks like a decent option if you do wind up getting a small rack. i'm using a cre8audio nifty case and using my korg esx for 2 sets of gate/cv and so far that's been enough for what i'm doing (somewhere between new age and industrial)
I was looking at the Sonoclast for that but I guessI have to be honest and say I don't really know or understand what the advantages/disadvantages of one midi to cv converter over another? Lol! Trying to research all this stuff can be a bit overwhelming. Which is again part of the reason I want to keep things as simple as possible. I really think just understanding what I need for midi to cv, a basic sequencer and then deciding if another drum module is worth adding. Eurorack seems a slippery slope to say the least and a potentially dangerous one! Sitting here watching endless YouTube videos! :lol:
Stu B
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Stu B »

I’ve found sending different Euclidean patterns to advance and trigger inputs to be a source of endless satisfying variation. Pamelas can do it nicely, Constellation is way better but bigger and more expensive.
24framemedia
Common Wiggler

Post by 24framemedia »

Stu B wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:52 am I’ve found sending different Euclidean patterns to advance and trigger inputs to be a source of endless satisfying variation. Pamelas can do it nicely, Constellation is way better but bigger and more expensive.
Nice, good to know and noted! Thank you!
GOM
Common Wiggler

Post by GOM »

24framemedia wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:04 am So you bring up a very valid point, style has a lot to do with it! My main styles are ambient but percussion wise I lean toward industrial sounds, think nine inch nails, ministry, front 242, etc.
If I were you the first thing I'd probably pick up would be the MAFD, which allows you to reset and use midi to sequence to steps in any order you want.

Music like you've mentioned generally revolves around processing and layering rather than particularly complicated rhythmic modulations of percussion parameters so some of the suggestions in here, whilst are all perfectly valid, may not give you exactly what you're looking for. I would have thought the Digitakt might be bang up your street?
24framemedia
Common Wiggler

Post by 24framemedia »

GOM wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:57 am
24framemedia wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:04 am So you bring up a very valid point, style has a lot to do with it! My main styles are ambient but percussion wise I lean toward industrial sounds, think nine inch nails, ministry, front 242, etc.
If I were you the first thing I'd probably pick up would be the MAFD, which allows you to reset and use midi to sequence to steps in any order you want.

Music like you've mentioned generally revolves around processing and layering rather than particularly complicated rhythmic modulations of percussion parameters so some of the suggestions in here, whilst are all perfectly valid, may not give you exactly what you're looking for. I would have thought the Digitakt might be bang up your street?
Yes MAFD by Sonoclast was the plan as mentioned earlier in this post, I've never really looked into Digitakt mostly because it looks like a workstation type of thing but since you think it'd be up my alley I will put it on my list of videos to watch since I really honestly never looked into it.
GOM
Common Wiggler

Post by GOM »

24framemedia wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:02 pm Yes MAFD by Sonoclast was the plan as mentioned earlier in this post, I've never really looked into Digitakt mostly because it looks like a workstation type of thing but since you think it'd be up my alley I will put it on my list of videos to watch since I really honestly never looked into it.
Dunno if you know "Snakes of Russia" but he does some great sample packs for it and has some great videos on YouTube of him using it!!
24framemedia
Common Wiggler

Post by 24framemedia »

GOM wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:39 pm
24framemedia wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:02 pm Yes MAFD by Sonoclast was the plan as mentioned earlier in this post, I've never really looked into Digitakt mostly because it looks like a workstation type of thing but since you think it'd be up my alley I will put it on my list of videos to watch since I really honestly never looked into it.
Dunno if you know "Snakes of Russia" but he does some great sample packs for it and has some great videos on YouTube of him using it!!
yes I follow him on instagram as we have some style overlap for sure! I definitely dig a lot of his stuff.
mjlong
Common Wiggler

Post by mjlong »

This thread came to mind while I was setting up for a DFAM-centric jam earlier today. I think the Koma Field FX would make a stellar complement to DFAM. It packs a lot into a small footprint: 4-input mixer with tone control, looper, bitcrush, delay, spring reverb, a dead simple 4 step sequencer, and a nice modulation matrix. Add a couple stackable cables into the mix and you’re off to the races.
Heffernoise
Common Wiggler

Post by Heffernoise »

I sequence the dfam with an opz. Works well for sequencing pitch + gate, clocking, CV modulation, and connecting other midi gear in a small footprint that isn't very expensive.
I like dfam by itself more often than not. Throw a drum machine into the ext input and jam away. Sometimes the limits focus the creativity in a track.
24framemedia
Common Wiggler

Post by 24framemedia »

Heffernoise wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:06 pm I sequence the dfam with an opz. Works well for sequencing pitch + gate, clocking, CV modulation, and connecting other midi gear in a small footprint that isn't very expensive.
I like dfam by itself more often than not. Throw a drum machine into the ext input and jam away. Sometimes the limits focus the creativity in a track.
I absolutely agree about limits focusing creativity which is why I want to keep things simple, it's just my biggest issues with it's limits I guess is only 8 steps, no reset clock and not really have a great way to sync it with other gear, all problems that can of course be solved, just trying to figure out the best plan on howto do all of that, the mafd seems like a good place to start at least for now I guess
Spaceman Jacques
Common Wiggler

Post by Spaceman Jacques »

Personally I think the DFAM benefits greatly from eurorack modules. I get a little bored now when I play it without my rack. I would suggest (if the cost is not prohibitive for you of course) getting a small skiff, maybe 4ms pod and starting with just maybe Pam’s new workout (you can get pretty good deals on it rn as the pro was just released) and 1 or 2 of the Sonoclast modules. Play with it for a while and see what you think. Maybe you want to add more randomness? Maybe you want a filter to further shape the sound? I really like it with a clockable delay (Mimeophon) great for rhythmic ambient and fuller textures.

I started out with a bigger case than I’m suggesting (Mantis) which led me to buying too many modules too fast and getting overwhelmed. It’s now my favorite thing in the world for better or worse. But I’d have a hard time telling anyone to jump in like that, in good conscience. The start small/go slow mantra is absolutely correct imo.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”