Instruō càrn utility mixer

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
PiecesOfQuiet
Learning to Wiggle

Instruō càrn utility mixer

Post by PiecesOfQuiet »

Last edited by PiecesOfQuiet on Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
closedLoop
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Instruō càrn mixer / signal processor

Post by closedLoop »

That's a very dense little module, that looks like it could be a good submix in a larger system, or a good solo mixer in a mini system. It's not on the Instruo site yet, but it's on Signal Sounds for 379GBP.

There's more use of what look like Instruo stackables in the demo video. Hmmm...

instruo-carn-eurorack-mixer-utility-module-carn.jpeg
Black
Common Wiggler

Post by Black »

It's now already on Instruo's website – and here is the manual: https://www.instruomodular.com/wp-conte ... Manual.pdf

Comment: Strange – the four channels and their respective CVs are not equal – as if they were made for different roles in one very specific application. It will take me some time to fully get this…
closedLoop
Ultra Wiggler

Post by closedLoop »

Black wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:17 am It's now already on Instruo's website – and here is the manual: https://www.instruomodular.com/wp-conte ... Manual.pdf

Comment: Strange – the four channels and their respective CVs are not equal – as if they were made for different roles in one very specific application. It will take me some time to fully get this…
I didn't watch the whole video, but it seems as though each channel has a different independent function, and it can be used either as a 4 channel mixer and/or a VCA, four quadrant multiplier, crossfader, etc. Seems as though they mashed up their 2f and Vinca with a basic mixer. The master stereo VCA is an interesting touch.
BLogic12
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BLogic12 »

I just love his excellent demo/presentation vids.
I wish all manufacturers did such complete, thorough and clear explanation of their own modules.
Super professional.
None really do it better than this guy.
Black
Common Wiggler

re: Instruō càrn mixer / signal processor

Post by Black »

It looks like a mixer, but it isn't really… I think it is more a tool box that you use to have a few of your modules interact in a way that you found especially rewarding after months or years of experience with them, and that you change rarely… Each of these single channels has its secret, its own personality (also when considering the DIP switches on the back).
Last edited by Black on Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
target_destroyed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by target_destroyed »

BLogic12 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:27 am I just love his excellent demo/presentation vids.
I wish all manufacturers did such complete, thorough and clear explanation of their own modules.
Super professional.
Definitely agree with this. I don't currently own any Instruo stuff, but I always check out the videos because they're just that good.
skinpop
Common Wiggler

Post by skinpop »

Except for how cramped it looks, I like it, and I wish more modules had this kind of function asymmetry instead of being arrays of the same thing.
blue noise
Bregnier
Common Wiggler

Post by Bregnier »

I love all of the new ‘utility bundle’ modules coming out these days- the new Topobrillo one is also a great little guy - but this has to be the densest panel I’ve ever seen. Just 2hp more and I’d probably be more likely to buy. Still tempting though.
hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz »

It looks like a well thought out module with some clever choices.
LordKrud
Wiggling with Experience

Post by LordKrud »

Man I wish this came out a week sooner. I just ordered a new mixing array. But I suppose I could add this anyway haha.

It does look a little cramped, but I guess it’s hard to tell if it will be hard to use until having it in from of you.

Was a release date mentioned?
JonoVizion
Common Wiggler

Post by JonoVizion »

LordKrud wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:20 pm Man I wish this came out a week sooner. I just ordered a new mixing array. But I suppose I could add this anyway haha.

It does look a little cramped, but I guess it’s hard to tell if it will be hard to use until having it in from of you.

Already available on Signal Sounds.
akrenaut
Wiggling with Experience

Post by akrenaut »

BLogic12 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:27 am I just love his excellent demo/presentation vids.
Super professional.
Couldn't have said it better.
...and on top of great module design/presentation he's a damn good musician. I was totally impressed hearing his live set.
LordKrud
Wiggling with Experience

Post by LordKrud »

JonoVizion wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:39 pm
LordKrud wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:20 pm Man I wish this came out a week sooner. I just ordered a new mixing array. But I suppose I could add this anyway haha.

Oh cool. I now see it at some US dealers too.
$409. Dang.
gran_syth
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gran_syth »

LordKrud wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:35 pm

$409. Dang.
That was my first reaction as well, but only until I realised that the module is not just a four channel stereo mixer. You’d need to buy quite a few modules to equal functionality that would set you back more than $400! But VCA, ring mod, panner and xfader that would definitely run more that the same cost! And wouldn’t give you all mixed to stereo with a stereo VCA over the output neither the option to engage limiters. AND you can select ac/dc coupled channels. I also don’t think a collection of modules to match functionality would look as good as this module!
clwilla
Ultra Wiggler

Post by clwilla »

gran_syth wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:24 am

$409. Dang.
That was my first reaction as well, but only until I realised that the module is not just a four channel stereo mixer. You’d need to buy quite a few modules to equal functionality that would set you back more than $400! But VCA, ring mod, panner and xfader that would definitely run more that the same cost! And wouldn’t give you all mixed to stereo with a stereo VCA over the output neither the option to engage limiters. AND you can select ac/dc coupled channels. I also don’t think a collection of modules to match functionality would look as good as this module!
Probably not, but…

(PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM AN INSTRUO FANBOY. I’M WORKING ON THE FINAL STAGES OF FINISHING A FULL INSTRUO CASE - I WILL ALMOST CERTAINLY BUY THIS MODULE AT SOME POINT)

$400 still seems like a shitload of cash for a mixer. I would have appreciated fewer features and/or more room to work. Seems like he tried to create a “do everything” utility mixer module, and cram as much as possible in as small a space as possible. I appreciate trying to be space efficient and feature packed, but at some point there are diminishing returns on both strategies, and from a first glance this module may enter that territory. I hope to be proven wrong.
gran_syth
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gran_syth »

clwilla wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:33 pm

$409. Dang.
Probably not, but…

(PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM AN INSTRUO FANBOY. I’M WORKING ON THE FINAL STAGES OF FINISHING A FULL INSTRUO CASE - I WILL ALMOST CERTAINLY BUY THIS MODULE AT SOME POINT)

$400 still seems like a shitload of cash for a mixer. I would have appreciated fewer features and/or more room to work. Seems like he tried to create a “do everything” utility mixer module, and cram as much as possible in as small a space as possible. I appreciate trying to be space efficient and feature packed, but at some point there are diminishing returns on both strategies, and from a first glance this module may enter that territory. I hope to be proven wrong.
Not expecting the space efficiency to be a problem here. Four faders and tall trimmers for pan/crossfade setting, utility functions are mainly cv controlled, so in my mind this is in particular a section/group mixer, which eventually is like set and forget with some algorithmic/sequenced modulations. I absolutely appreciate the size, this will transform my small cases, but I will report when I've received and used mine.
clwilla
Ultra Wiggler

Post by clwilla »

gran_syth wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:18 pm
clwilla wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:33 pm

$409. Dang.
Probably not, but…

Not expecting the space efficiency to be a problem here. Four faders and tall trimmers for pan/crossfade setting, utility functions are mainly cv controlled, so in my mind this is in particular a section/group mixer, which eventually is like set and forget with some algorithmic/sequenced modulations. I absolutely appreciate the size, this will transform my small cases, but I will report when I've received and used mine.
I think use case is the important distinction. In a small case, or a performance case, your argument makes sense.

I only have a large-ish studio sized synth. I don’t play out (even if I’m planning a smaller case to bring for Xmas to mess around with my brother who is far more advanced than me), and although space is a consideration, I can definitely say it isn’t a large one. In this type of case, having separate tools for each of those jobs is preferable.

That said, I can envision this, with its particular normalizing options and individual channel outs, as a sub mixer in my case where individual outs can be used as sends, with bringing only the wet signal back and mixing them to have full wet/dry mix control.
LordKrud
Wiggling with Experience

Post by LordKrud »

$409. Dang.
Yea I recognize all this has to offer. Looks great. Just a little sticker shock I guess. Might end up grabbing one.
It’s just a price you expect out of something more flashy I suppose. Like Morphagene type abilities. Not to underestimate what this can do.
I probably need to pair down some gear and then get something like this.
SMSHFFLD
Common Wiggler

Re: Instruō càrn utility mixer

Post by SMSHFFLD »

Funny. I also had the exact same sticker shock reaction. Watched the video and it was dizzying how much is packed in this thing!
clwilla
Ultra Wiggler

Post by clwilla »

SMSHFFLD wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:56 pm Funny. I also had the exact same sticker shock reaction. Watched the video and it was dizzying how much is packed in this thing!

There is a lot, but I’m not generally one who finds much value in feature packing. The way it’s done with this module makes sense, but it’s still a whole lot going on in a small space. Whether that is a good thing or not is in the eye of the beholder.
gran_syth
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gran_syth »

clwilla wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:09 pm
SMSHFFLD wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:56 pm Funny. I also had the exact same sticker shock reaction. Watched the video and it was dizzying how much is packed in this thing!
There is a lot, but I’m not generally one who finds much value in feature packing. The way it’s done with this module makes sense, but it’s still a whole lot going on in a small space. Whether that is a good thing or not is in the eye of the beholder.
I love feature packed things! :yay:
SMSHFFLD
Common Wiggler

Post by SMSHFFLD »

I don't mind dense modules, but I do think I have this weird response to them where I fixate on not being able to use every feature at once. Cold Mac did my head in for a bit in this regard
gran_syth
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gran_syth »

SMSHFFLD wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:26 am I don't mind dense modules, but I do think I have this weird response to them where I fixate on not being able to use every feature at once. Cold Mac did my head in for a bit in this regard
Agreed, I am not saying dense modules are straight forward. Feature loaded modules require a steeper learning curve, in many cases I struggle to remember all functions and how to control them. I could also imagine that while developing a patch, that the carn requires some pre-planning to avoid having to change the use of the channels when ideas about the patching form or change.

However, the module gives immense opportunities, it's down to me to make proper use of it. Like with carn here, if I end up only using it as a four channel stereo mixer with panning, I could have had it cheaper with a Doepfer or whatever, but if I think of a routing that uses the cross fader for some wet/dry, set the VCA channel for attenuating of a oscillator signal that is used as the modulator for the ring modulation, and have the VCA over the entire voice... than this becomes an asset of utility like no other, a true swiss army knife!
playersteve19
Common Wiggler

Post by playersteve19 »

closedLoop wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:26 am
There's more use of what look like Instruo stackables in the demo video. Hmmm...

Seen those in a couple videos for a while now, but they don’t seem to be on the market yet.

Which is a real shame; I believe the way those Instruō cables are made, with the woven outside and extra shielding, makes them some of the highest quality on the market currently.
“So here I sit upon untold wealth
Tryin' to figure which is worse:
How much do I need this gold?
And how much do I need this curse?”—Shel Silverstein

Current modules
Planned modules? Maybe? The plan is never fully finalized…
YouTube
What I’m listening to (if the automatic update is in sync)
https://www.torn.com/2640316

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”