Toppobrillo Cluster

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

x2mirko
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Toppobrillo Cluster

Post by x2mirko »

Very cool! I'll be in for a silver one for sure.
bhmcc
Common Wiggler

Post by bhmcc »

x2mirko wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:36 am Very cool! I'll be in for a silver one for sure.
Oh yes, forgot to mention this - silver for me as well please.
toppobrillo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by toppobrillo »

bhmcc wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:56 am
x2mirko wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:36 am Very cool! I'll be in for a silver one for sure.
Oh yes, forgot to mention this - silver for me as well please.
We will also make some silver panels, yes.
toppobrillo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by toppobrillo »

bhmcc wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:18 am
mdoudoroff wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:37 am
efluon wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:52 am silver please. a little unfortunate that Tiptop is doing the 257t now.
Interesting comparison. The 257t is a “dual” module, with each channel enjoying up two circuits (attenuverted, crossfaded) that are summed with a manual offset. Cluster is a “single” module, but also a 3-in-one, depending how you look at it, making the three circuits (attenuverted/4-quad multiplied, crossfaded, attenuated) independent, while also offering the sum.

Hypothetically, one or the other could be more attractive depending on your use cases. I’m sure the 257t will sell just fine, particularly to those who think they’re building a Euro Buchla on the cheap (I have my doubts). My immediate impression is that Cluster’s 3-in-one design is a more compelling (and compact) design for a Eurorack system, in general. For me, the 4-quadrant multiplier is particularly attractive.
I was just thinking along these same lines as I am on the Tiptop Buchla bandwagon. No idea yet on the cost difference but you only need to sacrifice 2hp more for 2x Clusters over a single 257t. This definitely gets you extra goodies as mdoudoroff has pointed out.
I'm not trying to step on the euro 257s toes , (besides I'm 99.999% sure Don would loathe this bastardization of his work :omg: ).. I've used it (in my 4u clone system) for a long time and that's the direct inspiration for this thing. It's different, more functional and flexible, and it's entirely a new circuit design (obviously). The thing about the 257 in a buchla is that it's the only place you'll find linear, DC coupled "vcas" and the "vcas" are actually analog switches used as variable resistors (switching really fast) I forget the switching F off the top of my head- but if you've ever run audio through one, you know that it's too low for proper audio, and you've heard the artifacts.. the other thing is, a small to medium system probably only has 1, and going all the way into and out of that takes several long patch cables.. also, I'd often wish I could use the crossfader to gain the attenuverter- or use them independently.. and..... voila! you have some sense about how I arrived at this design. I think re-releasing the 200 series in euro is "cute" and I'm still convinced the only reason it happened is to thwart Butt ringer, but there is much that could have been optimized for eurorack.. not least of which are new features and actual functional design improvements.. which I haven't seen. i digress! to each their own. price, not sure yet- less than the other stuff, cuz it's got less parts and will take less time to assemble and calibrate.
banksean
Learning to Wiggle

Post by banksean »

I'd be interested in a silver one. Or two.
InteBra
Common Wiggler

Post by InteBra »

"thwart Butt ringer, ...". As a non-american and not native english speaker this phrase is complicated, What does it mean?
MossGarden
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MossGarden »

InteBra wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:50 am "thwart Butt ringer, ...". As a non-american and not native english speaker this phrase is complicated, What does it mean?
It's a reference to Behringers moves towards creating mass produced, cheap clones of Buchla products like the easel/200 system etc. The TipTop collab could have easily been a way to soften the blow. To be fair, the TT modules were far far more reasonably priced than many were expecting.
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff »

toppobrillo wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:21 pm I'm not trying to step on the euro 257s toes , (besides I'm 99.999% sure Don would loathe this bastardization of his work :omg: ).. I've used it (in my 4u clone system) for a long time and that's the direct inspiration for this thing.
I’m 99.999% sure Don would loathe your 4u clone system, too, but while the more I hear about Don’s ideas and values do nothing to diminish him as an interesting and unique artist (if a touch Quixotic), I find in them less and less reason to care what he would have thought about what others do, including with his old designs. (And all his designs are now “old”.)
anosou
Wiggling with Experience

Post by anosou »

I'm pretty interested too, and definitely camp silver.
You can hear & see my modular noodling on YouTube.
You can find my rack at ModularGrid.
Esnan
Common Wiggler

Post by Esnan »

Same here - and silver for me too!
MadGav
Common Wiggler

Post by MadGav »

I was thinking a 257t would be on my list, but a couple of these would be so much more flexible…
closedLoop
Ultra Wiggler

Post by closedLoop »

Just in case it seems as though everyone wants silver, I want black to match my MF & SM.
toppobrillo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by toppobrillo »

mdoudoroff wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:32 am
toppobrillo wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:21 pm I'm not trying to step on the euro 257s toes , (besides I'm 99.999% sure Don would loathe this bastardization of his work :omg: ).. I've used it (in my 4u clone system) for a long time and that's the direct inspiration for this thing.
I’m 99.999% sure Don would loathe your 4u clone system, too, but while the more I hear about Don’s ideas and values do nothing to diminish him as an interesting and unique artist (if a touch Quixotic), I find in them less and less reason to care what he would have thought about what others do, including with his old designs. (And all his designs are now “old”.)
well that goes without saying :party: . It seems maybe wrt his own stuff he was most bothered/bored by rehashing the 70s over and over again and not innovating.
adg672
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adg672 »

Love it. Defo on for a silver one
aforsman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by aforsman »

Love this, another for black!
stin-g
total earhole

Post by stin-g »

TOPPOBRILLO FOR THE WIN AGAIN!
100% yes
EASYBOY
Common Wiggler

Post by EASYBOY »

Looks very interesting
ATOM
Common Wiggler

Post by ATOM »

Looks like great module. :love:

Will there be a diy option?

Atom
http://atommodular.blogspot.com/

"One day we will be improved"
dan_k
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dan_k »

I’d be in for one of these. In black please.
texturerama
Ultra Wiggler

Post by texturerama »

@Toppobrillo would you ever consider making these in LW format for the Serge community?

Loved your stuff while I was working in 3U!

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”