Make noise system : Old Vs New

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

Lain32
Learning to Wiggle

Make noise system : Old Vs New

Post by Lain32 »

Hi,

After a year of modular, I press reset and go for full Make Noise. Something like 104hp, 6u.
Now, it remains to find this system and several choices are available to me:

- A classic Shared System +
- The new stereo system (Xpo, Qpas...)
- Other option

What do you think ? What would you choose and especially why 😁
Photographier, c’est une attitude, une façon d’être, une manière de vivre. – Henri Cartier-Bresson
Raindeer
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Make noise system : Old Vs New

Post by Raindeer »

I dare you to design a Make Noise system without Maths.

But actually, Mimeophon is such a wonderful module that I wouldn’t be able to just go with the Shared System. I reckon you should do full Stereo as you suggested… XPO, QPAS, Mimeophon, Morphagene… this built-in ability to modulate the stereo image and having subtle movement between left and right makes such a huge difference to the sound. I love that MN have continued adding stereo building blocks.

I’m not sure about Rene though. Would prefer a Metropolix if that’s allowed!
Last edited by Raindeer on Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
vidret
Veteran Wiggler

Post by vidret »

Why are you going for the premade system in the first place? Answering that might help.

You could switch maths for a DUSG and a small cv mixer/attenuator module if you had the HP, easy.
luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford »

I have an "old" shared system plus (it's what I started playing modular with and over the years I've upgraded Optomix, Rene and Morphagene, added an Erbe-Verb and a Tempi) and most other Make Noise modules, so I might have some insight here.

The shared system is a ton of fun-- it was my only modular for the first 3-4 years and I played it every chance I got without ever getting bored or running out of ideas. I play it all the time and would recommend to anyone without hesitation.

However, the stereo modules recently have kinda clicked with me and right now my system is set up as Function, Maths, Moddemix, DPO, Optomix, Qpas, Mimeophon, Tempi, Wogglebug, Pressure Points, Rene, XPan, Morphagene. (Really excited for the XPO...)

With the "stereo system", I think there are three main things to consider:
1. Mimeophon can fill in for Echophon/Erbe-Verb as delay/reverb/weird granular glitch thing, but Echophon and Erbe-Verb are more than that. Erbe-Verb is a really interesting "metal" noise source, and it can do thunderous drones, snares, all kinds of stuff. Echophon has a slightly lo-fi character and a vactrol in wet/dry that makes it possible to ping it for some weird effects. Echophon destroys its frozen buffer when you modulate it which might not always be what you want, but it's fun.

2. Stereo still requires more patching so it can stretch the utilities a little bit thin. Say you want to send from QPAS LP to MG and HP to Mimeophon and mix back together and then invert phase of one path, you end up using Maths 2/3 and OR/SUM/INV or both channels of Moddemix for stuff like this. There are other creative things you might do to extract more CV from the system, but the stereo modules make it easy to do things with one CV source within the same module (e.g. Radiate on QPAS). Stereo modulations across modules or in feedback paths are just a little tougher.

3. DPO has a great sound and the FM bus stuff is amazing. It helps you turn one/two oscillators into several voices with clever patching. I don't know exactly how well XPO could stand in for it, but DPO is also starting to feel just slightly out-of-place to me in the system: it's awkward to me to have to press the mode button for Oscillator A and as a result I tend not to use it because I can't get out of Sync mode without passing thru LFO. I think the DPO saw sounds a little weak in filters relative to other oscillators-- a trait I think is desirable a lot of the time but with QPAS I want just a little more of a sharper sound.

On the other hand, I think Morphagene is a lot more fun with related stereo modules. I don't really like samples in my own music, but re-recording stereo synth noise and re-processing and re-recording? Yeah, awesome. 10/10.

In short, Make Noise is excellent and it doesn't matter so much what modules you have because it's ultimately going to be your sound. You will end up patching the instrument so many different ways and going in so many different musical directions, that there is no "best" answer. Make Noise modules tend to "open doors" rather than guide you down specific paths.
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff »

In a sense, you can’t really go wrong, particularly since MN really does offer a “complete” lineup. You could even focus on their 0-coast/0-Ctrl/Strega trio instead of modules. Otherwise, they have three “model” systems to riff on. Shared System+ is a classic modular that is “monophonic” but is wildly versatile and leads to patching patterns that are far from simple sounding (see also “distributed mixing”). The Tape & Microsound system is, obviously, quite focused on sculpting and manipulating an externally-captured stereo sound reel. The (discontinued) System Cartesian was a smaller dual voice mono system focused on Rene sequencing. I don’t think there’s quite a “settled” model system around the XPO, but the XPO —> QPAS —> MIMEOPHON trio is there.

All that said, unless you have a specific goal in mind, the Shared System is where the broadest, most robust, most mature range of opportunities lie. And by a country mile. You could focus a lifetime just on that module set. Obviously, there are various ways to customize the template (substitution or extension) while staying within the MN product line. I’m not really into the idea of “prepackaged systems” in modular, but the only two that yet exist in Eurorack I’d be tempted by are the Shared System and the Tape & Microsound system, but the latter doesn’t really stand entirely on its own, except in a narrow sense.
three86
Common Wiggler

Post by three86 »

I have done this a few times. Once having a huge system with every MN module made and some doubles. The other two with the actual system case with 1u buss and I prefer that because I like the flashing mult lights and it also limits me. I prefer mono vs the stereo modules so far but maybe I will change my mind eventually.

Most recently I built it by importance of modules to me:
Ones I can't live without: dpo, maths, optomix, moddemix, echophon
Modules I like a lot: sto, rene v1, morphagene
Then some non MN: batumi, belgrad, wmd tripple vca, expert fh-2
I prefer belgrad over qpas, they don't have anything like batumi or 3 bipolar vca
The last 14hp I mostly use minimod vcf and sometimes telharmonic or mysteron

This gives me 3+ OSC, 1 (or 2) filters, plenty of modulation and attenuation, sampling, a bit of sequencing, and midi/daw control.

You will quickly realize the modules you prefer over others and the ones you can't live without because you will keep buying them when you don't own them for a while.
FletchNYC
Veteran Wiggler

Post by FletchNYC »

I would probably go with something like this: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/2037491
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff »

FletchNYC wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:39 am I would probably go with something like this: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/2037491
Interesting array. If possible, I would ditch Pressure Points for 0-Ctrl (outboard): way more happy accident opportunities there.
BTByrd
Wiggling with The Experience Machine

Post by BTByrd »

In my way of thinking, the distinction isn't so much between old and new, but rather between if you want to create analog synth voices and drum sounds or if you want to explore the world of digital tape loops and processing. It's not that these things can't play together in a system, but if you are more into crazy acid sounds from your modular, then maybe your money is better spent on oscillators and filters/LPGs than something like the Morphagene or Phonogene.

Apart from that basic distinction in sound generation (or capture and replay) you have the issues of (1) control and sequencing and (2) processing. Pressure Points + Brains eats up a lot of HP. Rene eats up a lot of HP. 0 CTRL eats up nothing. If you're rocking the Make Noise case, you can always add a skiff for controllers and the Tempi and whatever. I have a Monorocket case with a dedicated skiff containing 2X PP+Brains, Rene, and Tempi. Or you could sequence the system from another apparatus entirely, like a Beatstep Pro or Keystep or something.

As for processing, the Mimeophon is kind of my preferred MN effects module (that I don't yet own). I have the Echophon, and it's a lot of fun but it's kinda huge and has a distinctive sound. And it's mono. Their reverb is nice, but mono in->stereo out seems like it's overdue for an update with the newest round of stereo modules. Also, I'm a vanilla "verb at the end of the signal chain" kinda dude, and I'm comfortable using plugins for reverb if I need to. The Mimeophon is slimmer than either, has a more neutral sound that you can color, and also has pseudo reverby spatialization via the halo parameter.

Speaking for myself, I'm mostly interested in the analog sound generation modules. All their oscillators are interesting in their own way, but a DPO, STO, and XPO combo would be extremely powerful. Filterwise, I'd go for a MMG (if you can find one at a decent price) and a QPAS. The vactrol based filters really do have their own kind of scream to them, so they're essential in any Make Noise system that I'd throw together. (I'm fortunate to own a QMMG.) And of course an Optomix or LxD. Maybe a moddemix for extra VCA or mixing duty (or weirdo timbral modulation). And Maths, of course. I also think that a Contour is a good companion to the QPAS and MMG, at least if you're a filter tweaker like myself. Throw in a Tempi (oh so useful and playable and blinky!) for clock stuff and then add your effects of choice.

Anyway, that's me talking through what I'd put together. You do you.
Lain32
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Lain32 »

Many thanks for all your responses. It helps a lot!
Raindeer wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:12 am I dare you to design a Make Noise system without Maths.
I’m not sure about Rene though. Would prefer a Metropolix if that’s allowed!
Math is obvious my dear 8-) I'm not sure about René either, he intimidates me a little I think... But it was my grandfather's first name...
vidret wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:17 am Why are you going for the premade system in the first place? Answering that might help.
Some modules take months to be tamed: a limited number of modules and a long time seems to me in line with their complexity... and therefore favorable to our pleasure of use and our creativity 😉
And then sometimes, Modular Grid gives me the impression of being in front of the laundry department of the supermarket. I tell myself that a closed system would better balance the "consumerism/creativity" balance...
luketeaford wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:57 am
1.Erbe-Verb is a really interesting "metal" noise source, and it can do thunderous drones, snares, all kinds of stuff.

2. Stereo still requires more patching so it can stretch the utilities a little bit thin.

3. DPO has a great sound and the FM bus stuff is amazing. It helps you turn one/two oscillators into several voices with clever patching. I don't know exactly how well XPO could stand in for it, but DPO is also starting to feel just slightly out-of-place to me in the system: it's awkward to me to have to press the mode button for Oscillator A and as a result I tend not to use it because I can't get out of Sync mode without passing thru LFO. I think the DPO saw sounds a little weak in filters relative to other oscillators-- a trait I think is desirable a lot of the time but with QPAS I want just a little more of a sharper sound.
1.The demos of Erbe-Verb that I've heard sound very good, I really have this metallic side, but don't we get tired of it? One point for Mimeophon ;)
2. I'm a little afraid of running out of modulations with the stereo system, in the video of MN on the XPO their big system at well two Maths One point for Mono ;)
3. XPO is sexy, DPO is classy and classic, is the hardest choice
luketeaford wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:57 am The shared system is a ton of fun-- it was my only modular for the first 3-4 years and I played it every chance I got without ever getting bored or running out of ideas. I play it all the time and would recommend to anyone without hesitation.
Very clear. It looks like what I'm looking for ;)
mdoudoroff wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:01 am In a sense, you can’t really go wrong, particularly since MN really does offer a “complete” lineup. You could even focus on their 0-coast/0-Ctrl/Strega trio instead of modules.
The "MN music easel" is sexy and powerful, but I'm afraid it lacks versatility. But each element looks very good (I already had a 0coast), and forms a coherent whole... But is it a long-term option?

mdoudoroff wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:01 am All that said, unless you have a specific goal in mind, the Shared System is where the broadest, most robust, most mature range of opportunities lie. And by a country mile. You could focus a lifetime just on that module set.
Again : Very clear ;)

three86 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:14 am I have done this a few times. Once having a huge system with every MN module made and some doubles. The other two with the actual system case with 1u buss and I prefer that because I like the flashing mult lights and it also limits me. I prefer mono vs the stereo modules so far but maybe I will change my mind eventually.
Interesting, maybe you could elaborate? Unless it's just a matter of taste, subjective...

FletchNYC wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:39 am I would probably go with something like this: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/2037491
It's something that could cut me off from all social life for a long time :yay:

---
Thank you again for your help ! It's funny, reading your messages, and understanding your experience, I wondered what you would have advised you at the start of your modular process...

For now, here are my doubts (crossed with my financial limits and the Wife Acceptance Factor):

Rene or 0Ctrl?
DPO+Optomix or XPO+Qpas?
Can Mimeophon really replace Erbe-Verb+Echophon (at least initially)
Is (OCtrl+0Coast+Strega) really an option?
Photographier, c’est une attitude, une façon d’être, une manière de vivre. – Henri Cartier-Bresson
three86
Common Wiggler

Post by three86 »

Lain32 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:32 pm
three86 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:14 am I have done this a few times. Once having a huge system with every MN module made and some doubles. The other two with the actual system case with 1u buss and I prefer that because I like the flashing mult lights and it also limits me. I prefer mono vs the stereo modules so far but maybe I will change my mind eventually.
Interesting, maybe you could elaborate? Unless it's just a matter of taste, subjective...

For now, here are my doubts (crossed with my financial limits and the Wife Acceptance Factor):

Rene or 0Ctrl?
DPO+Optomix or XPO+Qpas?
Stereo modules means twice as many cables which annoys me and for recording I would rather record mono then play with stereo reverb, effects, or panning in DAW. I prefer belgrad to qpas as a filter because it has more knobs and switches which is fun for me and I would rather turn a switch for different filter types instead of moving cables.

For me nothing can replace echophon that is one that I have a lot of fun with. Just turning the pitch and delay knobs is so enjoyable. I would rather do reverb in DAW and found myself never modulating erbeverb that much. Mimeophon sounds nice but I don't find myself playing it like I do echophon.

XPO is not out yet and I doubt it could replace DPO for me but I will try it out.

I like 0Ctrl a lot especially for varying time per step but I would chose Rene v1 over it for the more advanced sequencing and quantizing. 0Ctrl is more of a replacement for 2x pressure points + brains and I don't use pressure points instead I use a keyboard via midi->cv.
Cybananna
Funniest Guy

Post by Cybananna »

A make noise system can be a great one. This is one I put together. I had most of the modules and came across a used case. There really is so much that can be done with whatever combination you pick. I really wish they had just a simple proper mixer though.
716423CD-1458-46EA-97C2-615F2D11B708.jpeg
Noisteria Emission at Bandcamp

WTB: circuit abbey ccbo
BTByrd
Wiggling with The Experience Machine

Post by BTByrd »

Cybananna wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:01 pm I really wish they had just a simple proper mixer though.

Isn't that what the QMMG is for? Just kidding. I feel you, but a couple Moddemixes can get the job done without taking up too much HP, and then it's voltage controllable. One thing that I've only recently come to really appreciate is their whole cascading submix thing. I plan on taking advantage of that with the XPAN (which has an AUX stereo input) and the XOH, which also has an AUX stereo in. And for mono, chaining the Optomix and Moddemix or whatever. It is a different way of thinking about patching audio (and perhaps) somewhat weird, but I feel like the whole "It's mixerless, but there are tons of mixers scattered throughout" approach is part of the MN patching aesthetic.
riskysafety
Common Wiggler

Post by riskysafety »

My current setup is almost all make noise and I feel like it is almost complete.. planning on pulling the STG stuff out to its own case, and maybe adding a Euclidean circles or other gate generator. The bottom row is in a skiff, and the preset is in its own case as well. Thought about adding a Worng Soundstage to help auto cleanup the mix, but 2 moddemix and the xpan handle the 4 or 5 voices pretty well.

The top case can do almost anything and its mobile if I sequence from a drum machine rather than Rene..

As for stereo vs classic, I would rather have more mono voices than fewer stereo, although stereo morphagene reels are very underrated.. but it really depends on what kind of sounds you are making.

If I started all over, I would put together the Tape and Microsound skiff and start working the art gallery circuit lol. Now I want a Mimeophon :confused:

Val
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Val »

Hi,
I feel you, feel you a lot. I've been having the same thoughts lately. I've been into modular for a year or two. Been into eurorack and semi since a long time before that but never had a real system. Now I have a nice system based on R*S, L-1 and Xaoc. See in sign. But I don't feel comfortable with it and it's not portable. Tough choice when you have very nice modules, good sound, but I might not gel with the whole interface/user experience thing.
Made a thread about it : viewtopic.php?t=261341
Aside from that I have the three Make Noise desktop and I can't recommand them enough, it's just great fun.

Post is a bit long because I'm really enthusiastic about this idea. While I had real fun building (DIY) my system, I always liked Make Noise and always dreamed of a Shared System but at the time was too expensive. Still, it would be tough to part with nice modules like the Res EQ and Haible phaser. Disclaimer I don't have a MN system aside from the MN Easel. I've tried most of the modules though.

Just a word on why Make Noise and not another brand : I like the design choices they made. Choices to focus on some stuff, simplify complex stuff (QPAS is a good example of that, dealing with stereo "animation" and imaging with a few knobs). I like the interface, I like the looks. Modules tend to focus on what makes sense, they do not offer full control on everything -yes-, but I actually prefer that. Instead you'll get an attenuverter or a VCA over an essential function of the module. I'd say it's a bit similar to the Mutable Instrument approach. I also like their "modern" sound a lot. I have the 0-coast and it sounds fan-tas-tic to me. Also a module like ochd embodies that too, for me: 1 cv-able rate knob, 8 related outs. it's just functional, you don't think too much you patch, selecting which speed you want. It's precisely why I chose Make Noise as a base, and not Instruo, I feel the latter offers ... too much.
It's overwhelming for me, I know this can sound silly, but having very open modules with every in and out possible makes my brain paralyzed. I'm also ok with the Make Noise "distributed" mixing "philosophy" and implemented VCAs in some modules and don't bother with dedicated modules. When getting a desktop synth you usually don't have some VCAs and mixers laying around on the panel. Again it's a radical choice because some here will prefer to have their options open and have individual VCAs and mixers but I'm ok with that. Choices I said.

So yeah i've been wondering if I should sell everything and go "full" Make Noise because the modules make so much sense to me.
Here's what I've been thinking of.
Loosely based on a MN SS BG, conceptually, factually more on the newer stereo modules and a few modules from other brands :

A little rundown of what's inside :
XPO - Ts-L form the complex oscillator duo:
While I love DPO's sound and FM Bus I want to build a stereo system. I already have the full mono Make Noise easel so the idea is to get something powerfully stereo (?!). The Ts-L is a nice 6hp thing to complement the XPO. Could choose STO but they're not available in black so fuck it. Plenty of waveforms here. A lot.

Filtering with QPAS:
Super super nice filter with a phasey sound with the smile pass. Good stereo imaging and the pinging is nice which is essential for me, i like this sound.

VCAs, LPG, with Moddemix, vinca, optomix:
Tried getting a nice balance of VCA/modulations. Thanks to the nice Make Noise designs there's already two other VCAs in XPO and QPAS and a lot of attenu(verted) inputs.

Modulation with Maths, dual cnoc, ochd, wogglebug:
Slews, AR/ASR, LFOs, Random, lot of motion for the greedy modules I esp like the added instruo modules for 8 LFOs and 2 slews that free up Maths for doing other stuff (like wasting a Maths channel or use both for pulsar/formant synthesis).

Sequencing and clocking with the Rene 2 and Tempi
Wanted a René for sequencing, to have something else, different than 0-ctrl and ableton midi sequencing to play with. Tempi is the obvious partner for this one.

Xpan for crossfading, mixing:
I like stereo panning and crossfading very much. Very interesting way to combine and play with signals, essential module to me, first thing I'd add to a SS.

Effects with Morphagene, Mimeo, and ... Clouds parasite!
These are the weird guys. Morphagene is the granular sampler chameleon that can bring any sound into the system and mangle it. Essential.
Mimeophon because it sound so good holy shit. I like digital delays much much more than analog ones so it's a nobrainer for me
Clouds parasite replaces Erbe Verb. Can create weird stuff with the spectral madness algo. Reverbs with the Miverb (which is similar to Erbe...) and of course the Clouds algo. With those nice faders.

4hp left are filled with the swiss kinfe disting but I could put something else there.
It's there for the occasional life saving "ah shit I need 1 more of this".

Hope it helps as it's not just make noise modules.
Of course I had to choose not to "put" DPO, Erbe, or telHarmonic but I really wanted to have only 6u 104, implying limitations.
But with Make Noise, whatever you'll choose will still get you plenty of possibilities. There was an iteration with a Just Friends but this selection of modules makes more sense I guess. I tried to look at the SSBG+ and think how everything interacted with each other.
I added instruo modules for the cohesive look, and they have a lot going on in a little footprint (ochd!), too bad they cost a lot.
I like the SS because it's big but not too "I have those modules laying around in the rack in case I want to do that" big, it's a superpowerful monosynth.
I tried to build from that, with my own personal preferences, with more "utilities" than original system (only 2 env/lfo for such a system wtf). As I said I already have 0-ctrl if I want pressure points experience.
I feel this could be a vast playground but more focused than what I have right now.

Now I'm waiting if Make Noise will announce a new stereo modules based system ... Or a new Shared System config ... IDK.
Shipping time for a Shared System is 1 year right now.

To get back at you now : why would you do that ? Me it's also because eurorack causes too much overthinking, swapping, planning.
I'd like to get a nice balanced system with not too much options and forget about it. Happen to overly like Make Noise, et voilà.

I'm not too sure about the old/new thing as i don't know what would be old, make noise designs are pretty cool and even the first shared system still has its place now. More about what you want.
I would probably go with something like this: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/2037491
Already a fantastic choice, similar in spirit to the one i planned. Lacks Xpan IMO though.
Rene or 0Ctrl?
Both ... ? Very different way or approaching sequencing, but those are still playable : playability is what I like with Make Noise, lot of stuff to touch, interact with. Rene could handle melody and 0-ctrl CV stuff. 0-ctrl isn't quantized, it's a double edged sword.
DPO+Optomix or XPO+Qpas?
Again, it's different and clearly a matter of taste with sound sources: complex with lpg or mono variwave stereo filtering. I chose the latter because it's more original, moreover I already have the 0-coast for that somewhat DPO sound signature ... debate would be different without it. But again XPO isn't out and I don't actually have DPO so I'm just guessing.
Three different effects so no. Echophon is lofi pitch shifting while Mimeo is looping crisp sounding. I like most the latter. Erbe is fully featured while Mimeo just have a 1 knob reverb like Mutable Clouds.

To sum up, it's all about what you like, want, digital effects, filter, folder, granular sampling, mono, stereo panning, powerful monosynth ... And then selecting the corresponding MN stuff. You can't go wrong with these as said mdoudorofff.

For these three questions it's really a matter of taste ...
For this one, I'd say yes. Solid option, but all mono. You could go further with a Shared System but the Strega has a special dirty sound. The 0-ctrl is a fantastic portable dual pressure points & brains. And I'm amazed at the sound I get from the 0-coast. And if you add a Strega and 0-ctrl to it yeah it's even more powerful. 0-coast has a midi CV converter ... Don't overlook this. I would say these 3 are fast to work with. Less options means less thinking. I would totally recommand them to someone who wants to get "something modular" without all the hassle and overthinking of actually getting into eurorack. I read that you found that it could lack in versatility, so I wonder what do you mean? Yes it’s a specific synth with a specific sound but again it just depends on what you’re after.

That was interesting to write, reflecting on what I like and where I want to go, I'll probably even re-read it later. : )
Sorry for the long post I'm a Make Noise fanboy don't mind me.
rack 1 !
rack 2 !
i also have the 3 make noise desktop which I happen to have more fun with
Cybananna
Funniest Guy

Post by Cybananna »

BTByrd wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:28 pm
Cybananna wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:01 pm I really wish they had just a simple proper mixer though.

Isn't that what the QMMG is for? Just kidding. I feel you, but a couple Moddemixes can get the job done without taking up too much HP, and then it's voltage controllable. One thing that I've only recently come to really appreciate is their whole cascading submix thing. I plan on taking advantage of that with the XPAN (which has an AUX stereo input) and the XOH, which also has an AUX stereo in. And for mono, chaining the Optomix and Moddemix or whatever. It is a different way of thinking about patching audio (and perhaps) somewhat weird, but I feel like the whole "It's mixerless, but there are tons of mixers scattered throughout" approach is part of the MN patching aesthetic.
Thanks for the perspective. I think you are right. The experience of using an all make noise system in general compared to my other cases is a different thought process and methodology. I’m using a rxmx now as my main mixer and it is a lot of hp but is is vc and great for manual manipulation. Finding a way to get another moddemix in there would solve my problem
Noisteria Emission at Bandcamp

WTB: circuit abbey ccbo
Lain32
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Lain32 »

Thank you very much, I read a lot before answering you, but tonight, I would tend to lean towards the classic SS+ with DPO, Erbe-Verb
and Echophon. Now the hardest part will be to mourn my current modules (especially MI). But it's for a good cause, and then I can't take the sound of Rings anymore :lol: ;)

Again a big THANK YOU :hail: :hail: :hail:
yobink
Common Wiggler

Post by yobink »

I started with the original layout, then moved in Tempi/Rene2/QPAS/Morphagene/Mimeophon and X-Pan and have since moved all of those modules into my main 12u system that is more geared towards stereo and now back the original modules on the shared system (with a few additions), which IMO is where the system is in perfect balance.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/2025015
itwasthewires
TimeRaveler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by TimeRaveler »

I’ve been very happy with this setup - I think of it as my own special Shared System. I started with the TAMMM + 0-CTRL, which is tons of fun on its own. The 0-CTRL makes playing the Morphagene as an oscillator really easy, as well as sequencing through different slices.

However, I found myself more often using the QPAS, Maths, and Mimeo as voices on their own as I’m not always in the mood to find or record reels for MG. So I added 0-Coast both as a way to open up the system more as a standard synth and to replace my portable modular at the time, the Volca.

Lastly I added the Tempi, which has been indispensable for getting everything moving and grooving together. If I had 10 more hp I’d add an X-Pan for more mixing and vca duties.
38ECFA92-B3FE-498B-AB9C-C2C4D8BC0C17.jpeg
clwilla
Wiggling with Experience

Post by clwilla »

Raindeer wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:12 am I dare you to design a Make Noise system without Maths.
I’m not building an entire system, but I have seen that my system is essentially a set of different subsystems. And my MN subsystem doesn’t have a Maths.
divmod
Common Wiggler

Post by divmod »

Great thread. Just to add another data point: I have a Shared System Plus B&G since nearly three years. I added a skiff with QPAS, Mimeophone, STO another Math and a few other modules (including stereo mixer and reverb). I moved modules around alot between the 6U and 3U over the time. But in the end, the 6U always gravitated back to the original configuration (plus LxD and Function). It's just a well balanced system.
Val
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Val »

I've read so much on this site that having one manufacturer in your rack isn't "real modular" but i feel funny seeing everyone has a different approach here with only 1 of them
Lain32 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:53 pm Thank you very much, I read a lot before answering you, but tonight, I would tend to lean towards the classic SS+ with DPO, Erbe-Verb
and Echophon. Now the hardest part will be to mourn my current modules (especially MI). But it's for a good cause, and then I can't take the sound of Rings anymore :lol: ;)

Glad everyone helped you here! I know Rings is special but Echo Phon has a v/oct input and can get you somewhat KP-S sounds.
But Rings has different algos indeed. You could also make a "Rings samples reel" on the Morphagene.
rack 1 !
rack 2 !
luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford »

Val wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:03 am I've read so much on this site that having one manufacturer in your rack isn't "real modular" but i feel funny seeing everyone has a different approach here with only 1 of them
Lain32 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:53 pm Thank you very much, I read a lot before answering you, but tonight, I would tend to lean towards the classic SS+ with DPO, Erbe-Verb

Glad everyone helped you here! I know Rings is special but Echo Phon has a v/oct input and can get you somewhat KP-S sounds.
But Rings has different algos indeed. You could also make a "Rings samples reel" on the Morphagene.
Modular refers to the routings-- anything you can change signals of is modular. Changing out the modules is a different thing. Lots of the original modulars like Moog, Buchla, Serge, Roland were a single manufacturer and in some cases you'd just have an entire panel ready-to-go: equally modular. :tu:
Val
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Val »

I agree, but as I said, I’ve read more than a few time than a single mfr eurorack isn’t the « real thing »

It’s « endemic » to eurorack I’d say. Because indeed I haven’t read that kind of commentary about a Roland System 500 or a Buchla Skylab « not being a modular bc it’s just one brand ». Quite the opposite as this stuff is so revered.

Just like the « Mutable Instruments » thing: « I’m not going buy this nooby Rings module I’ll patch my Karplus Strong voice from scratch. I’m not saying everyone is like that but sometimes I read stuff like that, taking pride on not taking shortcuts, doing « the hard work ». I used to like Doepfer now I’m more « this is too much work » about those « building blocks » modules.

Il saying this because again it’s precisely why I like Make Noise, the modules are designed with some choices being already made with an idea in mind, shortcuts being taken already. (Ok actually the designs are still very open ended and still offer creative possibilities but you got it).
(Also! I’m not saying that Make Noise is the only MFR doing this! Mutable is the same for ex. it’s more that I’m in line with their designs!)

I now understand better people going for 4U, longing for a very cohesive system.
rack 1 !
rack 2 !
clwilla
Wiggling with Experience

Post by clwilla »

Val wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:27 am I agree, but as I said, I’ve read more than a few time than a single mfr eurorack isn’t the « real thing »

It’s « endemic » to eurorack I’d say. Because indeed I haven’t read that kind of commentary about a Roland System 500 or a Buchla Skylab « not being a modular bc it’s just one brand ». Quite the opposite as this stuff is so revered.

Just like the « Mutable Instruments » thing: « I’m not going buy this nooby Rings module I’ll patch my Karplus Strong voice from scratch. I’m not saying everyone is like that but sometimes I read stuff like that, taking pride on not taking shortcuts, doing « the hard work ». I used to like Doepfer now I’m more « this is too much work » about those « building blocks » modules.

Il saying this because again it’s precisely why I like Make Noise, the modules are designed with some choices being already made with an idea in mind, shortcuts being taken already. (Ok actually the designs are still very open ended and still offer creative possibilities but you got it).
(Also! I’m not saying that Make Noise is the only MFR doing this! Mutable is the same for ex. it’s more that I’m in line with their designs!)

I now understand better people going for 4U, longing for a very cohesive system.
There’s a certain pride to take in “patching your own”, but to project that pride as a value everyone should adhere to or else “YOU’RE A FAKE!” is nonsense. Complex oscillators are a shortcut. Have been since the start, and with the explicit intention of minimizing patch points. Not because of laziness, but because of the rather low availability of every resource in every modular system. Every VCA you use to patch a complex VCO from scratch is one less VCA you have available for something that REQUIRES separate patch points. Ditto with envelopes and really everything else.

To patch up the chords algorithm in Rings, it would take several modules and lots of patch points. At least a 4 VCOs and a separate delay capable of doing KPS type stuff for each. An entire row could be used on something like that. Or you could use Rings, and free up the rest of those resources needed to patch it from scratch in order to add something useful as opposed to strictly utilitarian use.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”