Announcing: Synthesizers.com Manufacturer Sub-Forum

Please check out the new sub-forum by following the link above. It is nice to have another manufacturer onboard and opening another direct communication line to potential and existing customers

WMD PM Mutes

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
BLogic12
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: WMD PM Mutes

Post by BLogic12 »

jschussler wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:53 pm Giving this a bump just so folks see it. We're up to 19 on the list now, so should be within range of "not crazy expensive" to get these built. If you want one, PM me.

Clickless or not?
jschussler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jschussler »

Should be clickless, but he's working on the prototype now and will know for sure soon.
d3n5ity
Learning to Wiggle

Post by d3n5ity »

PM sent
closedLoop
Ultra Wiggler

Post by closedLoop »

jschussler wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:16 pm Should be clickless, but he's working on the prototype now and will know for sure soon.
That's hopeful! I surprised there's only 19 so far. Are you broadcasting beyond here on MW?
joeyfrench
Common Wiggler

Post by joeyfrench »

closedLoop wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:22 pm The "Combo" mute functionality on the PM Mutes is such a simple, useful moment of brilliance. But too bad about the pops. My general luck with releasing the mute on a zero crossing of all affected signals was quite low. That made using the original PM Mutes seem like a weird game of chance. Will it pop?
1000% agreed, I own an original PM Mutes but would 100% grab a clickless version with the combo mute functionality.
jschussler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jschussler »

closedLoop wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:23 am
jschussler wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:16 pm Should be clickless, but he's working on the prototype now and will know for sure soon.
That's hopeful! I surprised there's only 19 so far. Are you broadcasting beyond here on MW?
Yes, posted on FB as well. That got us to 25.

If there are other spots, let me know.
WMDevices
Ultra Wiggler

Post by WMDevices »

jschussler wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:50 pm This is also covered in the WMD closing down thread, but wanted to pull it into its own thread so folks are sure to see it:

Bard Synthesizers has graciously offered to make a mute module for the Performance Mixer. The original PM Mutes is no longer available because the parts were hard to get, so this new module will be a different design with similar functionality. (Many thanks to William at WMD for offering up the Diptrace files and some pointers to get things started.)

I'm not part of Bard, I'm just helping Jakub wrangle customers who might want this.

If you want a PM Mutes, please PM me and I'll add you to the list. Please include your email address and how many modules you want.

Jakub's working on a prototype now, he'll know more about final price and design once that's working.
If you have questions, I'm happy to do a design review on the prototype to tell you what will work best.
Check out the growing number of WMD Demo Videos | WMD Website
TumeniKnobs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by TumeniKnobs »

WMD again proving how f*ckin awesome they are.
:hail: :hail: :hail:
kabes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kabes »

Vactrols also have their own issues. Personally the best mutes I've come accross are the one from happy nerding: https://happynerding.com/category/4xmute/ . Unfortunately that module has also been out of stock since forever.
BARD
Common Wiggler

Post by BARD »

WMDevices wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:08 pm If you have questions, I'm happy to do a design review on the prototype to tell you what will work best.
That's really awesome! I've sent you PM :love:
BARD
Common Wiggler

Post by BARD »

We'll do soft mute version.
closedLoop
Ultra Wiggler

Post by closedLoop »

BARD wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:06 pm We'll do soft mute version.
Best news in a while.
Mad_Rasputin
Common Wiggler

Post by Mad_Rasputin »

Will it be possible to do the combo mute functionality now that you’ve conversed with WMD? Def kinda a big deal for me personally, at least.

Oh and I’m pretty sure I mentioned it but I am in for 2 of these at least
:omg: My anus.. is bleeding!

:cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud: Yayyyyy!
jschussler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jschussler »

Mad_Rasputin wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:37 am Will it be possible to do the combo mute functionality now that you’ve conversed with WMD? Def kinda a big deal for me personally, at least.

Oh and I’m pretty sure I mentioned it but I am in for 2 of these at least
My understanding is the combo functionality is one of those items that requires the unobtainium ICs, so probably not. But I could be wrong....
BARD
Common Wiggler

Post by BARD »

jschussler wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:27 pm My understanding is the combo functionality is one of those items that requires the unobtainium ICs, so probably not. But I could be wrong....
Combo functionality is unfortunately out of reach, that would require implementing microcontroller or basic logic control with digital chips as in case of original Mutes. I'm using simple analog solutions to get the work done :despair:

Here is how the panel looks like:
pmmutes_pnl.PNG
pmmutes_pnl.PNG (10.88 KiB) Viewed 421 times
pmmutes_B001_pcb_bard.png
Module is 5HP wide and uses single PCB with 0603 SMD components. This way i'll be able to assemble them in quite fast way, while it'll be still possible to assemble as DIY solution. I've implemented universal footprint for latching push buttons, there are several types that could be used together w/this PCB - Either the buttons or the numbers on the panel could be illuminated :)
pmmutes_sw_ch.png
closedLoop
Ultra Wiggler

Post by closedLoop »

BARD wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:44 am Module is 5HP wide and uses single PCB with 0603 SMD components. This way i'll be able to assemble them in quite fast way, while it'll be still possible to assemble as DIY solution. I've implemented universal footprint for latching push buttons, there are several types that could be used together w/this PCB - Either the buttons or the numbers on the panel could be illuminated :)
pmmutes_sw_ch.png
It's too bad about the Combo function, but if it's clickless, then it's still a huge improvement on the original, and completely worth it to me.

I think illuminated buttons make the most sense. It's been a long time since I sold PM Mutes, but I think I remember the buttons feeling small with a shallow throw. From a performative standpoint, they were a bit awkward, and not quite tactile enough. Are you using the same buttons?
zengomi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by zengomi »

Looking good. Thank you, BARD.
rather psychedelic

royal73
Learning to Wiggle

Post by royal73 »

Looking good! Personally I prefer the buttons be lit for better visibility but don't really feel strongly one way or the other. On the combo functionality does it really require digital control? It seems simple enough you might be able to do it with registers/latching values and an analog path to apply the control when the button is released...could it be simple boolean logic implemented with basic primitives?
studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 »

I would also prefer illuminated buttons. Are you able to mimic the two-color button of the WMD (i.e., green for on and red for mute)?
taotetek
Common Wiggler

Post by taotetek »

Aaah this is such good news!
Kummer
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kummer »

Good news indeed, I’ll take one for sure
“So I told the guy, look buddy your car was upside down when I got here, and as for your grandmother she shouldn’t have mouthed off like that”
petebaker
Learning to Wiggle

Post by petebaker »

Thanks Bard, looks great!
BARD
Common Wiggler

Post by BARD »

closedLoop wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:11 am I think illuminated buttons make the most sense. It's been a long time since I sold PM Mutes, but I think I remember the buttons feeling small with a shallow throw. From a performative standpoint, they were a bit awkward, and not quite tactile enough. Are you using the same buttons?
I'm using different buttons - these have much more travel, the action is different for each type - the illuminated ones I've found have awkward action as well, unfortunately, but the two non-illuminated ones have really nice and definite action. I think i'll have to look for some more types soon.
royal73 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:17 am Looking good! Personally I prefer the buttons be lit for better visibility but don't really feel strongly one way or the other. On the combo functionality does it really require digital control? It seems simple enough you might be able to do it with registers/latching values and an analog path to apply the control when the button is released...could it be simple boolean logic implemented with basic primitives?
Could be, but then the component count and complexity grows rapidly...
studio460 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:49 am I would also prefer illuminated buttons. Are you able to mimic the two-color button of the WMD (i.e., green for on and red for mute)?
I could simply backlit everything inside the module with green LEDs to give "background" green light, currently I have only red "active" light in design. I'll see if the current vesion works as designed and then I'd eventually move to adding more stuff to it :)
WMDevices
Ultra Wiggler

Post by WMDevices »

BARD wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:16 pm
closedLoop wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:11 am I think illuminated buttons make the most sense. It's been a long time since I sold PM Mutes, but I think I remember the buttons feeling small with a shallow throw. From a performative standpoint, they were a bit awkward, and not quite tactile enough. Are you using the same buttons?
I'm using different buttons - these have much more travel, the action is different for each type - the illuminated ones I've found have awkward action as well, unfortunately, but the two non-illuminated ones have really nice and definite action. I think i'll have to look for some more types soon.
royal73 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:17 am Looking good! Personally I prefer the buttons be lit for better visibility but don't really feel strongly one way or the other. On the combo functionality does it really require digital control? It seems simple enough you might be able to do it with registers/latching values and an analog path to apply the control when the button is released...could it be simple boolean logic implemented with basic primitives?
Could be, but then the component count and complexity grows rapidly...
studio460 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:49 am I would also prefer illuminated buttons. Are you able to mimic the two-color button of the WMD (i.e., green for on and red for mute)?
I could simply backlit everything inside the module with green LEDs to give "background" green light, currently I have only red "active" light in design. I'll see if the current vesion works as designed and then I'd eventually move to adding more stuff to it :)
Original Mutes is just backlit with green LEDs.
Check out the growing number of WMD Demo Videos | WMD Website
oscidigi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by oscidigi »

I can give this a decent visibility bump once we've got a slightly better prototype render. If someone wants to drop one in I'll get the ol' Instagram promo engine running and see if we can get this above 50+ orders. Also pinged the DivKid Discord server w/ a quick heads up.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”