What modules are your most successful long term investments in Eurorack?

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
Guizot
Learning to Wiggle

Re: What modules are your most successful long term investments in Eurorack?

Post by Guizot »

Endophin.es Furthrrrrr Generator for me!
What an amazing sounding dual complex oscillator.
This thing is so huge sounding and the 10-actave sweep knobs are killer.
Rocks great for FM as well!
Oberheim OB-X8, Modal Modulus 002, Endorphin.es Shuttle System, Moog Grandmother, Moog Matriarch, Roland MKS-70 w/MPG-70 controller, Arturia MatrixBrute, Korg Wavestation A/D, Korg OpSix, Yamaha TG77, Kurzweil PC2X, Yamaha EX5R, Simmons SDS7 Kit (Red Hex), Axe FX III Mark 2, Yamaha VL-1, Moog Model D MiniMoog, & Nonlinear Labs C15 on order...
ee_
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ee_ »

mandarinpile wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:51 pm Doepfer A-141-2 VCADSR/LFO. And because it has influenced my other module purchases, i could look at ir as a significant investment in my modular approach.
I’ve been underwhelmed by Doepfer’s filters and I find their knobs too gummy and close together generally. I did like the A-141-2 though (another one of my first modules) and have always vaguely regretted letting it go. Using it as an oscillator was great — better than my explorations of Maths as an oscillator— and while it certainly wasn’t the snappiest ADSR it had some neat tricks once you started wrapping your head around the outputs.

Your narrowing down of the things you do/don’t like in a module is interesting— I find myself going through this process but with the weight falling on different priorities. It really struck me at some point how many modules and companies just put their knobs too close together — and I don’t even have big fingers. Doepfer is one of them, and it’s made worse by how stiff their knobs tend to be. That’s not always bad — better than too loose. I also like very sturdy knobs, which are something of a rarity — too many otherwise good companies have wiggly knobs and trimmer pots for me to make it a rule not to buy them. But sturdy, well spaced knobs are a definite plus.

The “knobs at the top, jacks at the bottom, all knobs the same size” thing doesn’t do much for me though. Too fascist. I like modules that have at least a little personality. And it’s annoying to me in cases like Doepfer where the knobs sometimes do and sometimes don’t correspond to the jack right next to them.
gringostar
Veteran Wiggler

Post by gringostar »

Double Andore mk1 was one of the first 3 modules I purchased and it's the only one of them that's still in my case.
Metasonix RK3, Kermit mk2 and King Slender are modules I picked up shortly after my initial buy in and I'll never ditch those either.

I did get another Stages when MI announced they were shutting down and I suspect this time I won't sell it.
Nez
Common Wiggler

Post by Nez »

roland system 500 is still the backbone of my system, slowly adding another voice tiptop buchla
Peng33
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Peng33 »

Only got into Euro right before the pandemic began, with the Panharmonium being my first module (before I even had a case), but five indispensable modules for me are:

-Mutable's Elements (glad I bought it a year ago or so at ~$500 instead of the current going rate)
-MMI Modular's Two Nine Five (filters never really wow me, but manipulating individual frequency bands is great)
-Clouds clone (finally tried the reverb mode and the wannabe Elements resonator mode...they expand the usefulness of the module by leaps and bounds, so much so that I am seriously considering getting a Typhoon)
-Worng's LRMSMSLR (again, finally, finally gelled with it, and now I am almost certainly gonna pick up their MidSide+ very soon)
-Feedback Modules' 1bit Multitap Delay (such a versatile delay; it sounds great, has decent CV control, and I love the two tap outs to further manipulate/place in the stereo field)
jsleeio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jsleeio »

thelowerrhythm wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:36 am Noise Reap Bermuda. I have 8 v1s and 2 uBermudas, and I'll never sell them. Every feature you'd want in a utility vco (though only the uBermuda has sync. Hands down my favorite sounding Sine, which is very usefully inverted, and the Self Mod feature is something I really enjoy as a timbre modifier for multilayer drones. Nothing else out there has it.
I like the v1 too, but ... no sawtooth! argh
Zap him again! ZAP THE SONOFABITCH AGAIN!
thelowerrhythm
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thelowerrhythm »

jsleeio wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:34 pm
thelowerrhythm wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:36 am Noise Reap Bermuda. I have 8 v1s and 2 uBermudas, and I'll never sell them. Every feature you'd want in a utility vco (though only the uBermuda has sync. Hands down my favorite sounding Sine, which is very usefully inverted, and the Self Mod feature is something I really enjoy as a timbre modifier for multilayer drones. Nothing else out there has it.
I like the v1 too, but ... no sawtooth! argh
Fair! I always forget to mention that because I rarely use them. :ponytail:
"Ah yeah, you’ve got that strange blend of apathy and self-flagellation that somehow gets you where you want to go."
Jlevine711
Common Wiggler

Post by Jlevine711 »

The first two modules I bought four years ago are still in my rack today:

Intellijel Atlantis - most immediate oscillator / synth voice. Quick to dial in a sound a love
Intellijel Metropolis / Metropolix - counting these as one - most immediate sequencer

Outside of that, most of my rack has continued to change, but what remain are the end-of-chain components:

WMD Performance Mixer + Channels Expander
WMD MSCL
WMD Overseer

I'd also add Pamela's New Workout. Does so many things and can't imagine my rack without it.
Electronic musician based in Houston, TX.

Original Music: https://soundcloud.com/htxedifice

DJ Mixes: www.mixcloud.com/htxedifice/

Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/htxedifice/
damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase »

not a module

but my NONO EBB 12u case with Mungo scalable power.... im proud of it
space efficient, perfect amount of HP for my needs to keep me focused, collapsable for travel if i move, tons of high quality power, reverse power protection (has already saved my ass once)
confident that im secured for life with this baby
LunaticSound
Ultra Wiggler

Post by LunaticSound »

Buttons ARE toys wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:19 pm Doepfer A-138m - indispensable! I've tried a few matrix mixers and this one just hits the exact right balance of controls and size for me.
Mungo D0 - capable of creating nearly any time-based effect you can think of, and it just creates such surprising and interesting sounds. It's the most interesting delay I've ever worked with, regardless of format.
Mannequins 3 Sisters - one of the modules that got me interested in eurorack, and still my favorite filter. So many ways to use it.
Mutable Instruments Frames - not even really sure what to say about this one since it's such a shape shifter of functions. It just lets me really bring the most out of a module or a patch, totally reshaping the behavior of everything around it.
Really tasteful selection here. I'd like to hear your music.
Buttons ARE toys
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Buttons ARE toys »

LunaticSound wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:39 am
Buttons ARE toys wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:19 pm Doepfer A-138m - indispensable! I've tried a few matrix mixers and this one just hits the exact right balance of controls and size for me.
Mungo D0 - capable of creating nearly any time-based effect you can think of, and it just creates such surprising and interesting sounds. It's the most interesting delay I've ever worked with, regardless of format.
Mannequins 3 Sisters - one of the modules that got me interested in eurorack, and still my favorite filter. So many ways to use it.
Mutable Instruments Frames - not even really sure what to say about this one since it's such a shape shifter of functions. It just lets me really bring the most out of a module or a patch, totally reshaping the behavior of everything around it.
Sure thing, I have some albums on bandcamp here: https://smbols.bandcamp.com/

And the link in my signature is a web radio show I've been doing for the last couple years. More sporadically now though since free time has become a bit short these days.
Astronomical Dusk - a web radio show of synthetic delights and collected oddities. Airs semi-monthly at astronomical dusk.
clwilla
Ultra Wiggler

Post by clwilla »

PNW
Arbhar
Falistri (I have 2)
QPAS
Marbles
O’Tool
czarofga
Learning to Wiggle

Post by czarofga »

I have a doepfer matrix mixer and I only know how to use it as a mult and mixer. I cant find a manual in english for it. Id really like to use it
for more as it takes up a lot of space. Any suggestions?
Buttons ARE toys
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Buttons ARE toys »

czarofga wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:33 am
I have a doepfer matrix mixer and I only know how to use it as a mult and mixer. I cant find a manual in english for it. Id really like to use it
for more as it takes up a lot of space. Any suggestions?
The sky's the limit, really. I'm sure if you search for topics with "matrix mixer" in the title you'll find lots of great ideas, but some of the ways I use mine are:

Dub style effects sends: just sending different sounds off to different effects, and turning up the levels at different times in a song.

Classic mod matrix: If you're putting together a synth voice patch, instead of just sending an LFO's and envelopes to different elements individually, plug all your modulation signals into the matrix first, and the route an output to each of the things you want them to control. Then you can mix in a little of the other modulators you might not have used in each section and get more interesting sounds.

Physical modelling patches: where I want a lot of cross talk, so each part of the patch is bleeding into, and causing slight amounts of modulation to, each of the others.

Testing out different signal paths for a patch: If I'm not sure what I want to come first, a bit crusher, a filter, or a delay for example, you can just plug them all in and out of the matrix and then experiment with which order they hit each other, or experiment with blending them all together in differing amounts much easier than you could if you were just patching and unpatching repeatedly. You can usually just get more interesting sounds by blending all your effects into each other a little bit this way.

CV chaos: plug a bunch of LFO's or envelopes or anything into the inputs, send the outputs to the frequency or rise/fall controls of the modulators, and get them all influencing each other. You'll end up with chaotic modulation signals that are a lot more fun than plain LFO's.

Matrix Sequencer: You need a couple 4:1 switches and an additional offset to do it but it works really well. Just send the offset to the input of the first switch, and send the 4 outputs to the 138m's inputs. Then send the 138m's outputs to the 4 inputs of the other switch. The single output of that switch will be your voltage output. Then you can send some clock divider pulses out to trigger the switches, and the rates they're running at will determine how the sequence moves through the matrix, so if you wanted it to run linearly down each row for example, you'd set the pulse controlling the first switch to trigger every 4 pulses and the pulse controlling the second to trigger every 1 pulse. That way, each clock pulse will move the sequence horizontally along the current row, and every 4 pulses it will switch to the next row.
Astronomical Dusk - a web radio show of synthetic delights and collected oddities. Airs semi-monthly at astronomical dusk.
Stab Frenzy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy »

pieter wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:58 am These modules I bought early on, and I don't anticipate them leaving the rack anytime soon:

Maths
Turing Machine (the og Music Thing Modular)
SSF Ultra Random Analog
SARA VCF

A much later aqcuisition that I expect will have a long life in my rack is the WORNG Soundstage. I just love the stereo placement and EQ-ing that it does. Its output goes via a Shakmat HiPass HPF at 30dB to an outboard compressor (RNC), and then into a mixer.
No need to high pass the outputs of SoundStage, they’re already high passed. :tu:
pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter »

Stab Frenzy wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:12 am
pieter wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:58 am These modules I bought early on, and I don't anticipate them leaving the rack anytime soon:

Maths
SSF Ultra Random Analog
SARA VCF

A much later aqcuisition that I expect will have a long life in my rack is the WORNG Soundstage. I just love the stereo placement and EQ-ing that it does. Its output goes via a Shakmat HiPass HPF at 30dB to an outboard compressor (RNC), and then into a mixer.
No need to high pass the outputs of SoundStage, they’re already high passed. :tu:
Even if the depth is set to low-mid? I can see my speakers wobble dramatically (and slowly!) without the HPF in those settings.
Stab Frenzy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy »

pieter wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:35 am
Stab Frenzy wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:12 am

Maths
SSF Ultra Random Analog
SARA VCF

Even if the depth is set to low-mid? I can see my speakers wobble dramatically (and slowly!) without the HPF in those settings.
Ah yes, the depth does control the depth of the high pass also.
Kingnimrod
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kingnimrod »

WMD mixer
Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 »

E370 ( VCo)
Natural Gate
FH-2
3xMIAs
Nebulae2
uVCAs
For sale:
Jturbide
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Jturbide »

Nerdseq, mob of emus, Abstract Data ADE-60

Assimil8or will also most likely be in this category
Snufflepuff
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Snufflepuff »

BLogic12 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:49 pm Klangbau Twin Peak Resonator (and filter)
4ms DLD
ALM Pam's new workout
Rabid Elephant Natural Gate (newer addition relative to others bet it has earned its permanent place)

These because they are so important for my modular music's identity. I would have a hard time doing what I do without them (especially the first two mentioned). So i think i will have them as long as i'm into eurorack.

Then there are the modules I have truly had the longest - Maths, Turing Machine mk2, Malekko dual VCA. These have stayed in my rack since the beginning, and probably never going so they equally earn their spot on the list just for that alone.
How has the dual delay been central to your musical identity? I feel like I'm underutilizing mine as just a synced delay with artifact free time shifting.
noisewreck
Veteran Wiggler

Post by noisewreck »

Every single Noise Engineering module I have is a keeper. What I really appreciate about their modules (aside from being awesome sound sources, utilities, sequencers, etc. is the fact that if a parameter has a knob, it has a corresponding CV input in vast majority of the cases.

Wish more companies did this.

MindPhaser… this was the first complex oscillator that captured my interest, and I am very glad I got on the preorder list. Definitely a keeper.

Qu-Bit Contour. The curve on this thing is so musical. Also the built in attenuverters are major performance helpers.
JenniferG
Ultra Wiggler

Post by JenniferG »

ee_ wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:11 pm I’ve been underwhelmed by Doepfer’s filters and I find their knobs too gummy and close together generally.
I just got my first Doepfer module and I really thought the gummy knobs as a bonus, so grippy and comfortable to my fingertips. I like how the indicator sticks out past the knob so you can turn it and know where it is without even looking at it. (I got the A-140-2). The pots are a dream too, so smooth.

Just wondering what you don't like about the filters? I just watched a Doepfer filter shootout video on Youtube and I want like almost all of them. I am buying the A-106-5 SEM, A-124 WASP, A-102 Diode (Synthi) first. I especially like the A-106-5. Only like $75 a piece, so affordable. Which SEM/Wasp/Synthi filters do you like better? I am grabbing a Behringer 904A for the "Moog Sound".. hopefully they cloned it as well as they did with the Model D. [The Doepfer A-108 is too deep for my case at 75mm depth, otherwise I'd get it as well.]

ee_
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ee_ »

JenniferG wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:17 pm
Just wondering what you don't like about the filters? I just watched a Doepfer filter shootout video on Youtube and I want like almost all of them. I am buying the A-106-5 SEM, A-124 WASP, A-102 Diode (Synthi) first. I especially like the A-106-5. Only like $75 a piece, so affordable. Which SEM/Wasp/Synthi filters do you like better? I am grabbing a Behringer 904A for the "Moog Sound".. hopefully they cloned it as well as they did with the Model D. [The Doepfer A-108 is too deep for my case at 75mm depth, otherwise I'd get it as well.]

I'd definitely still go with Doepfer over anything made by Behringer, but I've just had bad luck with Doepfer filters. I got a secondhand SEM that didn't work quite right. I was able to return it, but I did like the sound a lot, so I later got one mint ... that that one was even worse than the first, with multiple problems. I returned it (I think to Perfect Circuit, but I forget) and they confirmed it was a problematic unit and refunded it. The WASP was okay ... it had a cool resonance with character, but not much (if any) gain compensation that I recall, and a high noise floor I guess you'd say. I had it along with six other filters at the time, and testing them all pretty carefully side by side ... WASP was the lowest volume of all of them, and the only one you could hear the white noise "leaking" through on when the pre-filter volume was pushed and the (LP) cutoff was fully cut. Another Doepfer filter I had was the OPTO FET, which was pretty cool if you like crazy chaotic resonance stuff (I do!), but to access its modes required changing fairly involved jumper patterns on the back and in some cases retuning the feedback trimmer depending on the mode. It just got tedious. I also dislike Doepfer's tendency to place jacks alongside knobs that sometimes do -- and sometimes don't --have anything to do with that knob. I've also heard more stories about failing and problematic and just plain disappointing Doepfer filters than any other brand I can think of. So I'm kinda over their filters unless an irresistible deal comes along on something that seems uniquely promising.

I'm not anti-Doepfer generally though, my pet peeves aside. I have an A-135-2 Quad VCA/VC Mixer that's been with me since I started euro that I still love, and all their utility modules and oscillators I tried over the last couple years performed fine. Their A-141-2v ASDR was really cool and I often think about getting that one again. And the SEM filter would've been awesome if I'd been able to get a working one with a clean signal that could actually deliver a true HP, and/or non-crackling weird resonance problems. I've tried a lot of filters at this point, and for whatever reason, have only run into problems with Doepfers. (Welll.... that's not 100% true. There was a Zlob secondhand DIY filter that had a weird buzzing whenever the res knob was touched, but replacing the knob fixed that one easily enough).

My biggest takeaway from buying a number of cheap and a smaller number of not-so-cheap filters has been that cheap filters tend to be cheap for a reason. Doepfer's build quality always seems great, so I'm surprised, and suppose my experience can just be chalked up to a combination of bad luck and some subjective preferences. For acidy squelchy goodness, my Erica Synths Fusion VCF3 is telling me the Erica Synths filters are a bit needlessly slept on, and my ADDAC 604 delivers the goods too. I also have an SSF Dipole which is the most versatile and interesting I've tried, probably, and an ADDAC 702 which is wild if you like to dive into experimentation and like a more tube-y untamed sound with distortion options. Though I wouldn't point to either of those two as a "WASP"-like filter...

Best mono filter I've personally used just in general was probably the Xaoc Belgrad. Clean crisp audio well beyond the audible spectrum, making shimmering high-highs possible (the SEM did this part well too) as well as woofy deep basses. Strong self-oscillation. Trackable as an oscillator if I recall correctly. Some interesting toggle options. It always seemed a little trickier to modulate than some others though, at least to my own satisfaction, and I think I'd rather have had a different kind of option set in terms of its many modes. Still a filter with a lot to offer though.

Or, damn, almost forgot the e440. They're not cheap, generally, and not the most feature-rich, but they are built like a tank and sound really good.

Still searching for my Holy Grail filter yet... not sure if it exists or which one it'll be, but I'd be surprised if it's a Doepfer. Never know though. Lots of people love their Doepfer filters and have had none of the problems I did, so if you like 'em, more power to you. Buy them over Behringer, for sure. Just a better company to support.
jsepeta
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jsepeta »

To that list of fine filters (Doepfer Wasp + SEM, Erika VCF3) I’d suggest the 2HP comb filter. It’s different enough and doesn’t take up much HP. I also have an EMW Steiner-Parker but that one doesn’t impress me much. And of course, ladder filters in the Model D and Mother-32.
http://www.lo-res.com has been my personal website since 1995
a few of my songs can be found at
http://www.soundcloud.com/badsamaritan

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”