What modules are your most successful long term investments in Eurorack?

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
mandarinpile
Wiggling with Experience

Re: What modules are your most successful long term investments in Eurorack?

Post by mandarinpile »

I've been into eurorack for couple of years only. But the one module purchase that seams to have shaped my consequal module choices is: Doepfer A-141-2 VCADSR/LFO. And because it has influenced my other module purchases, i could look at ir as a significant investment in my modular approach.

I started my system with a semi modular, and the a-141-2 was one of the first separate modules i got. Learned a lot from it:
- less hp is not important to me
- clear layout is important to me. I/o and knobs should be divided in sections
- i like same size knobs for everything (the most important knob changes from patch to patch)
- all cv inputs should have attenuverters, no matter what the module. Not having them to save hp is an underdeveloped design
- a good selection of i/o makes a module versatile.

So i've been looking for this clear and utilitarian doepfer approach in all other modules ever since trying the a-141-2. Also this module pushed me to sell some stuff that just wasn't designed so well.
Kosmikos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kosmikos »

Happy Nerding FX Aid, It’s one of the reason I got into Eurorack, and it’s still the magic sauce to everything I do. I have one or two per 7U case in addition to other effects, and an XL in my Palette Case.

Things like the Acid Rain Chainsaw, the 4MS Ensemble Oscillator, and Plinky are definitely part of my sound now. Which is strange as I’m initially more of a pure analog voice type of person, but digital is good when you need thick pads or drones. I also use Plinky as a shimmer reverb for my other sound sources.

I bought a WMD Crucible when it came out as a hihat/cymbal module but got frustrated (and replaced it with Plonk). Listening back at what I did with it, I then realised that I had made some of the craziest (non cymbal) sounds when patching Crucible away from its basic drum abilities. I’m now using it as a SFX sound source in my ambient rack, and I’m loving it. If the FXAid is the sauce, Crucible is the spice.
Kosmikos’ tracks on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-254876270
fruitsnake
Veteran Wiggler

Post by fruitsnake »

I got started in eurorack about six years ago, and a few months ago I filled all my cases - 362 hp in total. I don't think I'll make any changes to them in the future; I'll probably just start a new case one day.

The two modules that have been central since the beginning are: Folktek Motion sequencer (from the Mescaline system) and Rings.

The Mescaline system is actually what drew me into eurorack; I got it from the initial Kickstarter release, and before it even arrived I had already bought a handful of modules that I thought would go well with it. Rings was one, as well as Clouds of course, and I hung on to Clouds until recently when the 1010 Lemondrop came out.

I love the Motion sequencer so much that I bought a second one that is racked in my main system to free up the one that lives in the Mescaline system. It may be enormous, but it's a very unique sequencer, definitely the best for generative patches. I once tried to replace the two Motions with an Usta, but there was really no contest; the Usta got sold after six months.
vidret
Ultra Wiggler

Post by vidret »

metamorphmuses wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:51 am The long term for me is just four years; that's when I started with Eurorack.

Among the first three modules I bought, I still have one and intend to keep it: Mannequins Three Sisters
I consider that the most "successful" module in the sense of the original post's question.
Directly because of the success of Three Sisters, I acquired two other Mannequins modules: Cold Mac and Just Friends.
Are you me? I got three sisters, maths and clouds as my first three. Maths and sisters still rocking it. Got the cold mac and just friends thereafter because of sisters just like you and they're still there as well. most solid parts of the case for sure.

I have only had the nerdseq for a year now, but switching to another sequencer feels wholly unlikely and it'd mean a huge paradigm shift to how I approach things. Only likely in case I only wanted to go entirely without a sequencer.

Other things have come and gone, erbeverb has stayed in there for quite some time now. I just decided that If I'm gonna do reverb in euro it better be interesting.

How do you people feel about 'upgrading' things that have been in your rack for a while?
Upside to keeping the stuff is you know it inside out already, but sometimes I see something that's simply a better idea of a module I already have. I don't think it'd change the music I make a whole lot even if I got that new thing though.
wuff_miggler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler »

All of my modules are great long term investments. I bought bare bones modules....and when i first sterted i kind of regretted the entire venture, but after 3 years, im starting to "get" how stuff works. and every module is key to realise any idea i have. and i keep finding wierd shit to try and it makes the entire system sound different every time :)
MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine »

All of my Doepfer: ADSR's, LFO's, Wasp & SEM VCF's.

Analog Solutions big ass ATT and GATE 8 seq.

Plan B Model 9 Mixer

Makenoise MODEMOD

Those are most of my oldest from 2000-2005 I guess. Some of the Doepfer and all of the ASOL and Plan B utilities seem huge HP compared to what is available today, but I love them mixed in with tiny 2 and 4 HP modules.

Low cost and longevity = successful long term investments.
Illwiggle
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Illwiggle »

Been into Eurorack for 4-5yrs now. At current state Ive got about 18u 168hp of modules racked. Have gone thru a zillion pieces, but a few Ive never considered letting go of, they are:
Morphagene
Mimeophon
Rings
Verbos Multi Stage
Verbos Multi Envelope
Just Friends
NE Desmodus Versio

I do regret selling off the Mangrove, and Sisters. I would also lump in the R*S Serge pieces too in the “solid Eurorack investment” caregory too except for the fact that I liked them so much they inspired me to dip into 4U, and so my Euro-Serge must go
Dont forget to remember not to forget
BlackieDawless
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BlackieDawless »

In terms of investment I have probably learned the most for the money with my O’Tool+! Great to see how filters and slews affect things visually and it’s so compact and well thought out! Others have mentioned the DATA which is an essentially an O’Tool x 2….
variablewaveshape
Learning to Wiggle

Post by variablewaveshape »

All of my intellijel stuff - Atlantis, tete/tetrapad, Polaris, morgasmatron, quadrax, quad vca.
boscio
Common Wiggler

Post by boscio »

There are a few modules that I got when I first start building my rack 4-5 years ago that are still holding strong and I don't think, as long as I have a eurorack setup, that I would ever part with them. These are:
- Make Noise Morphagene
- Make Noise Maths
- Intellijel Quad VCA
- Intellijel Polaris
- WMD Buffered Mult
- Noise Engineering Loquelic Iteritas
- Mutable Instrument Plaits
- ALM Busy Circuits Pamela's New Workout
- Expert Sleepers Disting MK4
- Strymon Engineering Magneto

Through the years I've bought and sold a lot, but there's been an additional few late comers that have become staples in my work and doubt I'd ever let go of them either. Some of these are:
- Verbos Bark Filter
- Rossum Panharmonium
- Make Noise QPAS
- Retro Mechanical Labs EFCcv
- Noise Engineering Extra Mullet
- Noise Engineering Desmodus Versio
- Qu-Bit Data Bender
Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu »

vidret wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:40 pm How do you people feel about 'upgrading' things that have been in your rack for a while?
Upside to keeping the stuff is you know it inside out already, but sometimes I see something that's simply a better idea of a module I already have. I don't think it'd change the music I make a whole lot even if I got that new thing though.
One of my first ever modules was the simple Doepfer quad LFO (A143-3). It would have been my longest standing module (>12 years) if I hadn't sold it for the Xaoc Batumi. Batumi provides more waveforms and other options in a similar size (when you add the expander) so I 'upgraded'. The A143-3 is still a good module though and I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again if I was starting out on a lower budget.
sket
Common Wiggler

Post by sket »

The second module i ever bought was an SSF Detect-Rx. at the time i had so much buyers remorse, why did i pay $170 for an envelope follower when i dont even have a clock source or oscillator??

i have used it in every single patch from day one. a good utility, it is a simple joy
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire »

Doepfer A-154/A-155 Sequencer
Doepfer A-111-1 VCO
Intellijel Linix
Intellijel Quadra + Expander
Intellijel Shapeshifter
Intellijel Rubicon
Intellijel Dixie 2
Intellijel Dr Octature II
SynthTech Resampling Mini Delay
SynthTech Morphing Dual LFO
metamorphmuses
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses »

vidret wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:40 pm
metamorphmuses wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:51 am The long term for me is just four years; that's when I started with Eurorack.

Among the first three modules I bought, I still have one and intend to keep it: Mannequins Three Sisters
I consider that the most "successful" module in the sense of the original post's question.
Directly because of the success of Three Sisters, I acquired two other Mannequins modules: Cold Mac and Just Friends.
Are you me? I got three sisters, maths and clouds as my first three. Maths and sisters still rocking it. Got the cold mac and just friends thereafter because of sisters just like you and they're still there as well. most solid parts of the case for sure.
{...}
Well, perhaps unsurprisingly, I am not you. ;)

I've never owned nor wanted to own a Maths. I did get a clone of Clouds called Supercell, but I sold it off after a couple of months.

But I think we can agree that we need to talk about the bonus situation.
(Seriously, though, I love so much about that movie, but the opening alone is endlessly rewatchable.)

vidret wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:40 pm How do you people feel about 'upgrading' things that have been in your rack for a while?
I have upgraded a few modules, but it has been a rare occurrence because there aren't that many cases of a module that is unequivocally a better version of one I already have.

For example, I consider the Kermit module I have perfect and don't regard the Kermit mk2 as an upgrade but rather more of a different module with the same name — one I don't have space for.

At a certain point, I thought that the Verbos Amp & Tone represented a pure upgrade to the Amplitude & Tone Controller (ATC), but when I got the Amp & Tone I was sorely disappointed, discovering that it is in fact inferior to the ATC in sound. Thankfully, I kept the ATC and I simply sold the Amp & Tone. So, the ATC remains in my system, even though it seems rather exorbitant to allocate 16 HP to a single channel filter, but the sounds I get from it are unmatched.

In fact, I can only find two cases of pure upgrades: (1) I replaced the underwhelming Synthrotek MST Dual 2164 VCA with the stellar Make Noise Moddemix, and (2) I sold off a vanilla Ornament & Crime module a couple of years ago and only recently acquired an Ornament & Crime Plus; it took me long enough to 'replace' (in the loosest sense possible), but I still see it as an upgrade.
GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy »

vidret wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:40 pm
How do you people feel about 'upgrading' things that have been in your rack for a while?
Really depends on what the upgrade is to/from. Even an "upgrade" to a v2 of the same module might disappoint if the sound is different, the UI clunky, or the firmware buggy. Or upgrading to a new big sampler or sequencer can require a bit of a learning curve--much different than getting a straight forward filter or VCA. But I try not to window shop too much to avoid overthinking things.

Having said all, that I recently rethought my whole rack over the past 2-3 years and, apart from outright changes, did quite a few "upgrades" in the process--replacing many smaller modules with duals and quads, "upgrading" to mostly medium to larger modules rather than cramming in slim ones, etc.
studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 »

msegarra wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:52 pm Wmd performance mixer and mutes
Ditto!

WMD Performance Mixer:

Hands down, WMD Performance Mixer + PM Channels + PM Mutes (discontinued). Pricey, but worth far more than just two four-channel mixers (which would cost about the same anyway). Since WMD's announcement, I quickly bought a second WMD Performance Mixer + PM Channels. Maybe I should buy a third. Unfortunately, PM Mutes is discontinued and out-of-stock everywhere. There's just nothing else quite as capable. If you want to pan or fade your audio in and out under CV-control (and much more), there's just nothing like it.

Intellijel 7U 104 Performance Case:

Though not inexpensive at $699 (if you can find one), but its ROI yields a generous return when buying the second case and attaching via joiner-brackets. Few cases can claim such utility in such a small space. Just bought a pile of new modules and needed more cases—went back and forth on getting a third Eurorack Go, but decided on a second Intellijel 7U 104 to stack onto my first 7U.
Last edited by studio460 on Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
x2mirko
Ultra Wiggler

Post by x2mirko »

So many:

* Maths
* Optomix
* Planar 2
* Malekko/Wiard JAG
* Teletype
* ER-301
* Rubicon 1
* uMod 2
* Linix
* Toppobrillo TWF
* Dr. Octature 2

All of them have been in my rack for years (some for over ten already) and I don't see any circumstance that they would leave.
VileCarrion2022
Learning to Wiggle

Post by VileCarrion2022 »

I have not been in the game long, but I cant imagine life without Pams New Workout. I went from making bleep noises to bloop bleep and it changed my life. Opened my eyes to whats possible with the Eurorack format.
skoolafish
Common Wiggler

Post by skoolafish »

i strongly believe whatever i do will always be built around morphagene. ive always been fundamentally a samples-based guy, then fell in love with sound design much later. morph is the best of both worlds for me
sacguy71
Common Wiggler

Post by sacguy71 »

Kosmikos wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:55 pm Happy Nerding FX Aid, It’s one of the reason I got into Eurorack, and it’s still the magic sauce to everything I do. I have one or two per 7U case in addition to other effects, and an XL in my Palette Case.

Things like the Acid Rain Chainsaw, the 4MS Ensemble Oscillator, and Plinky are definitely part of my sound now. Which is strange as I’m initially more of a pure analog voice type of person, but digital is good when you need thick pads or drones. I also use Plinky as a shimmer reverb for my other sound sources.

I bought a WMD Crucible when it came out as a hihat/cymbal module but got frustrated (and replaced it with Plonk). Listening back at what I did with it, I then realised that I had made some of the craziest (non cymbal) sounds when patching Crucible away from its basic drum abilities. I’m now using it as a SFX sound source in my ambient rack, and I’m loving it. If the FXAid is the sauce, Crucible is the spice.
Crucible is wicked cool fun like WMD percussion modules. I finally have all 5 WMD percussion modules and have a blast creating weird sounds with them. Paired with the WMD Metron and PM a winning combo for my wacky workflow process now in the MDLR 14u case.
My Music and samples
https://soundcloud.com/pebcap

My Old samples and music when I started learning music production
https://soundcloud.com/modben
unclebastard
Veteran Wiggler

Post by unclebastard »

All mine are staying long term, unless they break down. I have what I need, there's no fat to trim.
Good deals with: Eremitalf, ben_hex, matttech, Elevator Sound, Hyberus.
yellowecho
Wiggling with Experience

Post by yellowecho »

Make Noise Optomix
Make Noise RxMx+Fxdf
ALM Pamelas New Workout
ALM Akemie's Castle
Verbos Multi-Envelope
Verbos Voltage Multistage
Verbos Random Sampling
Verbos Harmonic Oscillator
Verbos Multi-delay Processor
Verbos ATC
Noise Engineering BIA
dbeats
Veteran Wiggler

Post by dbeats »

WMD PM
WMD Metron
Five12 Vector
MN Erbe-Verb
PolarIceCaves
Veteran Wiggler

Post by PolarIceCaves »

MindMachine wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:14 pm
Makenoise MODEMOD.
Ohhhh. Black or silver ?
thelowerrhythm
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thelowerrhythm »

Noise Reap Bermuda. I have 8 v1s and 2 uBermudas, and I'll never sell them. Every feature you'd want in a utility vco (though only the uBermuda has sync. Hands down my favorite sounding Sine, which is very usefully inverted, and the Self Mod feature is something I really enjoy as a timbre modifier for multilayer drones. Nothing else out there has it.
"Ah yeah, you’ve got that strange blend of apathy and self-flagellation that somehow gets you where you want to go."

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”