What modules are your most successful long term investments in Eurorack?

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
jsleeio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: What modules are your most successful long term investments in Eurorack?

Post by jsleeio »

Every module I've ever bought except Tempi/Morphagene/Disting EX.

As for filters without VC cutoff... Serge Res EQ and Doepfer A-128 are two examples in my mind. Also the highpass filter pole in the 303
Zap him again! ZAP THE SONOFABITCH AGAIN!
DukeOfPrunes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by DukeOfPrunes »

lisa wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:21 pm Pamela's New Workout. I have five. Saying that I use PNW in every patch is an understatement; I use all channels of PNW in every patch.
OT: What's the latest on your new rack Lisa?
lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa »

Off Topic
DukeOfPrunes wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:45 am
lisa wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:21 pm Pamela's New Workout. I have five. Saying that I use PNW in every patch is an understatement; I use all channels of PNW in every patch.
OT: What's the latest on your new rack Lisa?
https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewto ... ?p=3808756 :goo:
Esnan
Common Wiggler

Post by Esnan »

MadGav wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:49 am
Esnan wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:19 am Great thread! I started out with a basic Doepfer A-100-system around 15 years ago, and the oscillators (A-110) have stayed ever since. I have tried to get rid of them, but I'm probably groomed into their fat sound so they are staying. Other Doepfer modules that are still in use are A-149-1/2 random voltages, A-118 noise/random and the A-119 external in, plus the A-151 sequential switch.

Other oldskool modules that are still in use are STG Sea Devils filter & Wave Folder, Plan B M13 & M10. And (sorry) QMMG + Maths.
I can echo a very similar story in timescale and modules, I can’t see the 2 A-110 I have going, also the A-118 and A-119, also the 1 A-140 I still have - too useful for simple things just does the job. Also Maths.
I switched my A-140 for a MN Contour just when they were getting discontinued, but otherwise - yes!
Stu B
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Stu B »

Stice wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:55 am
Stu B wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:53 am Qpas - Absolute joy of a filter. Use it for all bass duties. Beefy AF. Cv on the cutoff for a filter is essential I think. The others I’ve owned that don’t have it always feel lacking.
What filters do you have that don’t have CV over cutoff?
Filter 8 didn’t have it but I sold that. I have a stereo dipole that doesn’t appear to have it but not had it long or used it much. Both have cv resonance but no cutoff. Unless I’m a moron (this is possible..)
Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk »

I've had Intellijel's original Dixie and their uVCA ever since I started out, back in 2013. :)
pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter »

Stu B wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:27 am
Stu B wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:53 am Qpas - Absolute joy of a filter. Use it for all bass duties. Beefy AF. Cv on the cutoff for a filter is essential I think. The others I’ve owned that don’t have it always feel lacking.
Filter 8 didn’t have it but I sold that. I have a stereo dipole that doesn’t appear to have it but not had it long or used it much. Both have cv resonance but no cutoff. Unless I’m a moron (this is possible..)
Umm... I have some bad news for you. ;)

On Filter 8 you have V/Oct frequency control and linear FM. Both modulate the cutoff frequency. The Stereo Dipole filter has both V/Oct and linear FM as well, on both filters.

Edit: arguably every VCF has voltage control over the frequency (the VC in VCF). The opposite to VCF is the fixed filter bank, as pointed out above.
Last edited by pieter on Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
tom
Common Wiggler

Post by tom »

double post
Last edited by tom on Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
tom
Common Wiggler

Post by tom »

never mind
Last edited by tom on Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Michael »

Call me negative (and a little pedantic on this) but I see this adventure as more of an expense than an investment. I've only been doing eurorack for about 5 or 6 years but if I think too far ahead (for example 10 years from now as per OP) I get this sinking feeling my modules will gradually stop working. One day at a time for me.
Stu B
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Stu B »

pieter wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:32 am
Stu B wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:27 am
Umm... I have some bad news for you. ;)

On Filter 8 you have V/Oct frequency control and linear FM. Both modulate the cutoff frequency. The Stereo Dipole filter has both V/Oct and linear FM as well, on both filters.
Well, this is embarrassing 😂.

I should have read more manuals.
Jeffmhopkins
Common Wiggler

Post by Jeffmhopkins »

In rack:
* Pittsburgh Modular SV-1b - First module, and don't regret it in the slightest. Great subtractive voice with the right amount of utilities for small system
* Expert Sleepers FH-2 - For all the MIDI conversions, the fact it works as both host and device is awesome
* Expert Sleepers ES-9 - For all the audio conversions (see MPC below)
* Divkid Ochd - For all the LFOs
* 4ms STS - For 2 channels of hands on fun sampling

Out of rack:
* Structure 420 case
* Arturia Keystep Pro - Great hands on tool
* Akai MPC One - Used in conjunction with ES-9 for a sampling and effects power house, and for general poly synth use cases where Eurorack kind of sucks
colb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by colb »

Doepfer cases P6 x 2 and P9. the P6 both have PSU2 linear supplies, and the P9 has a PSU3 switching job.

Apart from the aesthetic which I really like, they are physically robust, and it's good to have some dependable power, so when something doesn't seem right, I'm not worrying if it's down to the power supply.

Other than that it would be stuff like my A-132-3 VCAs, Doepfer clock dividers, Befaco Rampage, A-171-2 VCS, A-156 QNT, Wasp Filter, A-106-6 XP VCF, Ladik SEQ-8 & CV 8/2, buffered mults, Ladik ATNV MIX, Doepfer A-138m... those things are in almost every patch since I bought them.

It's those 'bread and butter' basic functions that always get used. Stuff like Morphagene and Nerdseq are great, but would be much easier to do without, they often don't make it into patches.
aeonblack
Common Wiggler

Post by aeonblack »

WMD Performance Mixer/Mutes/Channels
4MS Clock stuff (qcd, rcd, scm and the expanders/breakouts for all 3)
Intellijel Audio Interface 2

I use them in absolutely everything and they are borderline invisible, in the best way. I hate modules that get in the way of me making something. Menu diving? 27 different functions? See ya, my memory isn't good enough to remember all that. I haven't done a ton of trading/selling of modules until recently when I realized all those fancy pants multifunction and menu-dive-heavy modules never got any use in my system. I still have a few of them that I *want* to like, but who knows if they will last.
pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix »

I have a shit-ton of modules and have sold a good number.
Some modules that I've had for a long time and intend to keep:

L-1 VC Stereo Mixer never fails to do exactly what I want it to.

Dannysound EN129 Thru-Zero Oscillator. Most frequently used VCO.

Bastl Tromsø, 4 of, modified slightly. My go-to clocked S&H.

Happy Nerding 3xMIA, 2 of. Most flexible attenuator/polarizer/mixer.

SSF Mixmode, 2 of. My favorite active attenuator.

Random*Source Serge DUSG MkII. It's the mother of all slope generators!

Mordax DATA. Almost always in scope mode.

IFM Mr. Grassi. Favorite controller.

Make Noise Mimeophon. Favorite effect.

Starling Via META, 2 of. Most versatile digital module.
Richard
https://www.pugix.com

FS (US) Original Clouds with extra panel - $189

"I confess that I'm scarcely using it, because I've got too many modules." -- ferran
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff »

These have all been in my rack for years and years, most since their introduction:

Maths
Function
RxMx
Echophon
Rene
Braids
Mangrove
Three Sisters
Just Friends
Variatic Erumption
Integra Funkitus
Zularic Repetitor
Numeric Repetitor
Basimilus Iteritas (replaced with Alter)
GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy »

Malekko Buffered Mult :lol:

Somehow I managed to swap out just about everything in the past 2-3 years. The mult might be the only one that survived the overhaul!
Buttons ARE toys
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Buttons ARE toys »

Doepfer A-138m - indispensable! I've tried a few matrix mixers and this one just hits the exact right balance of controls and size for me.
Mungo D0 - capable of creating nearly any time-based effect you can think of, and it just creates such surprising and interesting sounds. It's the most interesting delay I've ever worked with, regardless of format.
Mannequins 3 Sisters - one of the modules that got me interested in eurorack, and still my favorite filter. So many ways to use it.
Mutable Instruments Frames - not even really sure what to say about this one since it's such a shape shifter of functions. It just lets me really bring the most out of a module or a patch, totally reshaping the behavior of everything around it.
Astronomical Dusk - a web radio show of synthetic delights and collected oddities. Airs semi-monthly at astronomical dusk.
target_destroyed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by target_destroyed »

I still have many of my initial modules from 10-11 years ago, though several are in a spillover rack and don't get as much use as they should.

Gargoyle Envelator (x2)
Boogie Filter
Maths v1
Z3000 (x2)
uLFO

Oldies still in regular use

Hertz Donut mk1
Piston Honda mk1
Double Andore mk1
Polivoks Filter
Quadra
QPLFO

The mk1 Harvestman line and Wiard/Malekko modules are largely responsible for my initial venture into euro.
gcc
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gcc »

DFAM - Got me interested in eurorack 4 years ago. Still heavily use it in most of my patches. So playable and fun to explore.

Nebulae v2 - My introduction to granular and sample based music. Its been fun learning to make loops and slice up various sounds. Plus the alternate modes can turn it into a competent oscillator which I've enjoyed exploring.
ee_
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ee_ »

I’ve had a lot of modules I’ve liked but I enjoy trying new things too much to keep most of them for long periods. The only module I still have from my very first wave of euro puchases is a Doepfer Quad VCA CV Mixer, because it’s super useful and doesn’t have enough of a secondhand value to be worth trading out. The other oldest modules are a pair of Xaoc Warna IIs — again, low cost and just always super useful.

My 4Ms PEG had a very long run — underrated EG. Might get another eventually.

My utility and modulation sources seem to be the ones that stick around the longest just in general, while the sound-making things and filters get swapped out fairly regularly to try new/different things and different types of sound.
cierny_vlk
Common Wiggler

Post by cierny_vlk »

The modules that continue to inspire me and display their magic every time I turn on my rack are all of my AJH stuff and Future Sound Systems' Gristleizer series. I'd say I use those to some extent in every single patch and can't imagine exhausting them in the future.
ee_
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ee_ »

pugix wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:12 am
Mordax DATA. Almost always in scope mode.
Oh yeah! This one is such a staple I actually forget it’s even there. Really glad I bought one of these early on. At the time it seemed like it might be a needless extravagance for my purposes but it’s helped me learn so much and is always useful. One of the only modules I’ve honestly never even momentarily thought about trading.
gloamtrotter
Common Wiggler

Post by gloamtrotter »

Still around from my first batch and not going anywhere anytime soon:

ALM PNW
MN Maths
MI Stages
XAOC Batumi
Intellijel Quad VCA

I got these a bit later but are also mainstays:

MN Mimeophon
WMD Metron

And most recently SSF Ultra Kick: I haven't had it for long but I can tell I'm going to get a ton of use out of it. Feeling similarly about Akemie's Castle as well
SingleCell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SingleCell »

vpme.de ZeroScope

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”