What modules are your most successful long term investments in Eurorack?

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
JenniferG
Ultra Wiggler

Re: What modules are your most successful long term investments in Eurorack?

Post by JenniferG »

jsepeta wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:43 am To that list of fine filters (Doepfer Wasp + SEM, Erika VCF3) I’d suggest the 2HP comb filter. It’s different enough and doesn’t take up much HP. I also have an EMW Steiner-Parker but that one doesn’t impress me much. And of course, ladder filters in the Model D and Mother-32.
I am thinking about selling my Crave and buying a used Mother 32. They are relative affordable now. The vco is different , sounds much better on the Mother 32 as it isn't a 3340. Also like you say the filter is a ladder filter and awesome. I think the Crave uses a digital filter?
ee_
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ee_ »

A Moog would be a definite upgrade from a Crave. I haven't used a Mother 32, but for much less $ a Moog Werkstatt is surprisingly capable, if less cool looking. And of course there's the Mavis now, which I'm not too familiar with but which looks like a souped-up Werkstatt 2.0.
fossilfog
Common Wiggler

Post by fossilfog »

for me its:

maths. its in every patch
veils. still havent found a better vca.
morphagene. the mediocre patch saver
qubit nanorand. still the best random module I've used
toppobrillo multifilter. its got the biggest range for a filter that I've tried. Its buttery smooth or if you want, it can bite hard.

i've had all of those modules for six or 7 years, I believe.
Rabid
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rabid »

My other good investment is Eurorack mixers. I have a Roland 531 6 channel mixer and a Cwejman 4X-MS that I will keep forever.
Sometimes I feel like the Red Green of modulars.
Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves »

I find posts taking about modules that have been barely been out two years slightly annoying. This isn't a prediction thread, its what you've actually had... for the long term.

It's reminiscent of the posts you get in a newly released module thread where beta testers buyers enthusiastically eulogise, yet haven't rtfm, barely understand a fraction of its functions, but insist on it being a "game changer". Then it's off to b/s/t..

(Granted there are some things you just know from the jump or modules you've been anticipating for a while.)

Without lurching too far into Larry David territory, shouldn't there be a cut off/ minimal time owned?
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

F.s. (x2) FRAP Group, (x2) FRAP channels
peachesandbacon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by peachesandbacon »

Pam’s
Maths
Mimeophon
Atlantis
Metropolis then Metropolix

All I’ve bought and never sold. In every single patch, the only exception being upgrading from Metropolis to Metropolix
BLogic12
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BLogic12 »

Snufflepuff wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:46 pm
BLogic12 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:49 pm Klangbau Twin Peak Resonator (and filter)
4ms DLD
ALM Pam's new workout
Rabid Elephant Natural Gate (newer addition relative to others bet it has earned its permanent place)

These because they are so important for my modular music's identity. I would have a hard time doing what I do without them (especially the first two mentioned). So i think i will have them as long as i'm into eurorack.

Then there are the modules I have truly had the longest - Maths, Turing Machine mk2, Malekko dual VCA. These have stayed in my rack since the beginning, and probably never going so they equally earn their spot on the list just for that alone.
How has the dual delay been central to your musical identity? I feel like I'm underutilizing mine as just a synced delay with artifact free time shifting.
Not doing anything crazy with it, just how the module is designed and what it does, even just using it in a straightforward way. Simply having a high quality, uncolored, tightly synced delay with all this great clock multiplications and divisions, and having a very direct and playable interface. Also the ability for very long delays and odd clock divisions.
I identify with it because synced and longer delays I feel are part of my sound and imo DLD is just the best for my particular way of using delay.
far
Veteran Wiggler

Post by far »

4ms Qplfo and Fonitronik attenuverting mixer.

I don't really think too much about these two, but I reckon I've used them in every patch for gentle modulation since I purchased 6-9 years ago.
rayultine
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rayultine »

ADE-32 Octocontroller - first module I ever bought new, 6+ years as the heartbeat of my rack
Verbos Random Sampling - bought it for < $350 on facebook!!!
Happy Nerding FX Aid - I think I have serial # 008
Uoki Toki 4hp polyvoks vcf - don't think Uoki Toki is making/selling modules anymore. This thing is a nasty beast!!! taste the rarity.
JES
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by JES »

I got into Euro in 2014, so nothing has passed the 10 year test yet. But so far three of my earliest modules have been very consistently useful: Maths, Atlantis, Braids.
"Now, I'm off to hook my cat's litterbox up to an envelope follower." --Aragorn23
wrecksmoondee
Common Wiggler

Post by wrecksmoondee »

Buttons ARE toys wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:15 am
czarofga wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:33 am
I have a doepfer matrix mixer and I only know how to use it as a mult and mixer. I cant find a manual in english for it. Id really like to use it
for more as it takes up a lot of space. Any suggestions?
The sky's the limit, really. I'm sure if you search for topics with "matrix mixer" in the title you'll find lots of great ideas, but some of the ways I use mine are:

Dub style effects sends: just sending different sounds off to different effects, and turning up the levels at different times in a song.

Classic mod matrix: If you're putting together a synth voice patch, instead of just sending an LFO's and envelopes to different elements individually, plug all your modulation signals into the matrix first, and the route an output to each of the things you want them to control. Then you can mix in a little of the other modulators you might not have used in each section and get more interesting sounds.

Physical modelling patches: where I want a lot of cross talk, so each part of the patch is bleeding into, and causing slight amounts of modulation to, each of the others.

Testing out different signal paths for a patch: If I'm not sure what I want to come first, a bit crusher, a filter, or a delay for example, you can just plug them all in and out of the matrix and then experiment with which order they hit each other, or experiment with blending them all together in differing amounts much easier than you could if you were just patching and unpatching repeatedly. You can usually just get more interesting sounds by blending all your effects into each other a little bit this way.

CV chaos: plug a bunch of LFO's or envelopes or anything into the inputs, send the outputs to the frequency or rise/fall controls of the modulators, and get them all influencing each other. You'll end up with chaotic modulation signals that are a lot more fun than plain LFO's.

Matrix Sequencer: You need a couple 4:1 switches and an additional offset to do it but it works really well. Just send the offset to the input of the first switch, and send the 4 outputs to the 138m's inputs. Then send the 138m's outputs to the 4 inputs of the other switch. The single output of that switch will be your voltage output. Then you can send some clock divider pulses out to trigger the switches, and the rates they're running at will determine how the sequence moves through the matrix, so if you wanted it to run linearly down each row for example, you'd set the pulse controlling the first switch to trigger every 4 pulses and the pulse controlling the second to trigger every 1 pulse. That way, each clock pulse will move the sequence horizontally along the current row, and every 4 pulses it will switch to the next row.
This is an illuminating summary, thanks for taking the time.
Is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho?
Nez
Common Wiggler

Post by Nez »

roland stuff pretty much always includes attenuators on their input. definatly user friendly
For the expert user it might waste some hp, for the average user it saves them time and money to buy attenuators
bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed »

What a great topic.

I sell tons of stuff, monthly almost, been doing since i started in 2014.
A few that i would never sell, absolutely vital:

Ornament & Crime - absolutely fantastic. i have 3, i could easily use one more (and i might).

Pam's New Workout - amazing, love it, the updates for this were fantastic.

PreenFM2 - i've probably spent 1000h on making patches on this (on PC, the editor is awesome, the creator of it listened to all my ideas and implemented most of them!). I really like being able to scroll through usable patches, not having to patch something up for a bassline or melody.

Let's Splosh - Must have, you can never get enough modulation outs or variations of modulations. I could use one more for sure.

BitBox - Just overall really solid. I have the first version, still great.

Voltage Block - I use it in a CV-recorder way, you could say, i love using it for selecting specific samples, for example.
General_Ripper
Learning to Wiggle

Post by General_Ripper »

Pam's + Expander - I never thought I would be an evangelist for a clock module, but the thoughtfulness of the design is just 100% on point, and it does so many things.
Natural Gate - In a world where things do not live up to the hype, NG does. It just sounds amazing on everything.
Voltage Block - Brilliant, well executed, and mad useful for a million things.

I would also include my Soundcraft Signature MTK 22, which all of the modules get plugged into. Incredible sounding mixer, and a great value for the price. Gain on each channel allows it to deal with a wide variety of inputs without tripping.
commoner
Wiggling with Experience

Post by commoner »

Rabid wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:14 pm I don't mean financial like the QMMG. What modules that you bought years ago are still in your rack, earning their space and likely to be there 10 years from now?

I want to say my LiveWire Vulcan, Dalek, and 2 AFG's. But being honest with myself, while they are my favorites they are not my most used and most secure. I was lucky enough to get the Intelligen Mutagen/HexVCA combo and original Azimuth, Cwejman VCA-4MX and VCA-2P. All were bought 10 years ago, used, and without much thought. This was before people went Cwejman crazy. I never think of them as showpiece modules, I take them for granted every day, but when I start browsing online stores for modules I never look at other VCA's. I guess VCA's are like speakers or headphones. Once you buy a really good set you are done.
Haha this made me grin.

I unloaded my few cwej last year. I used the envelope frequently, but no more than others. Bought a couple erica modules with the bucks. My vulcan, dalek, and pair of orig afgs don’t get much use, really, and selling them would be a pita since they’re huuuge, so they sit there for now. My mutagen/hex combo used to be my staple, but channel 1 is blown /cry. Still have my azimuth, too. :hihi:

Shit I have much of what I got 10+ years ago, but these days I mostly use Roland 500 or erica modules. No clue what another ten years will do. I’m definitely happier now than I was then, so there’s that.

Edit: ah! There is one. Geiger Counter.
Last edited by commoner on Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
-cynic is the word used by one who wishes to believe that a realist is wrong
vayva
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vayva »

maths
eccemusic
Common Wiggler

Post by eccemusic »

Financial: QMMG
Earning its space and using all the time: QMMG
clusterchord
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by clusterchord »

from the early eurorack era, favorites still in use:

Harvestman Piston Honda & Hertz Donut mk1
Makenoise Optomix1, Wogglebug1
Wiard/Malekko Borg 1 & Boogie
Synthtech E350
Moogah Sem
J3RK Model 258J
Roman Model 266R
Oakley Ring Mod

from 2013-15:

Endorphin FG
Makenoise Maths 2013 & Echophon
Harvestman Piston Honda & Hertz Donut mk2
Am Synths AM8109 & AM8328
Intellijel Dixie 1

all alive and kicking in 2022

Explorer 5117 · Space Case 2022 · System 100 · SH101 · Sem · Mini · PPG Wave2 · OB-Xa · Prophet 5 · etc

WTB: CMS 1047 · WMD Gamma Wave · CCCP Kotelnikov · Bionic Lester mk1
stringbot
Common Wiggler

Post by stringbot »

Doepfer A-149-A and B. The random gates especially, since there’s nothing quite like it on the Wogglebug or Marbles.

Synthesis Technologies E350 Morphing Terrarium. I’ve largely switched to the E352 but still use the original wave banks more than anything. The simplicity of the 350 can’t be beat.

Make Noise Maths, Rene, DPO, Optomix and Echophon. No need to explain Maths. You know why. Rene: I bought the Rene 2 and eventually sold it. Kept the original because it’s much more straightforward, if less featureful. All these are relics of the “everything you need is on the panel” days of Make Noise, before we had to memorize LED colors and button combos. (Kudos to anyone who can use a Morphagene with full confidence that they’re creating a new reel and not deleting a splice.) DPO has such a great range of timbres, from subtle waveshaping to gnarly cross-modulated FM. Paired with the Optomix strike, it becomes one of my favorite percussion modules. Echophon is my favorite delay FX module, the grainy pitch shift has a character that is scientifically proven to gently massage the amygdala and open the third eye chakra.

Pamela’s New Workout, already described above. I keep my Mutable Instruments Yarns permapatched into the PNW clock/run inputs to receive sync from the computer. One of the few instances where a module having patch memory and default settings actually makes sense — my case is always ready to rock the grid at a moment’s notice.
Benjam333
Common Wiggler

Post by Benjam333 »

Stu B wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:39 am
pieter wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:32 am
Stu B wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:27 am
Stice wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:55 am
Stu B wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:53 am Qpas - Absolute joy of a filter. Use it for all bass duties. Beefy AF. Cv on the cutoff for a filter is essential I think. The others I’ve owned that don’t have it always feel lacking.
What filters do you have that don’t have CV over cutoff?
Filter 8 didn’t have it but I sold that. I have a stereo dipole that doesn’t appear to have it but not had it long or used it much. Both have cv resonance but no cutoff. Unless I’m a moron (this is possible..)
Umm... I have some bad news for you. ;)

On Filter 8 you have V/Oct frequency control and linear FM. Both modulate the cutoff frequency. The Stereo Dipole filter has both V/Oct and linear FM as well, on both filters.
Well, this is embarrassing 😂.

I should have read more manuals.
You can also use the EFM on Filter 8 to control cutoff frequency. Three options with different abilities!
ClancyLudlow
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ClancyLudlow »

FX Aid is tops for me. Good effects can bring a mundane patch to life and FX Aid gives me so many options in a small, affordable package. Next would be PMW. Clocks are at the heart of my music and I'm not aware of a better module than Pam's. Finally, in terms of creativity I love the Orbit 3 because it adds an element of unpredictability that I love in modular synthesis. It's hard to image letting any of those go.
acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob »

WMD Multimode VCA
Intellijel Quad VCA
STG .MIX
Tubutec Utune
FX Aid

I have had a pair of Subcon model 15 for the longest
Stu B
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Stu B »

Benjam333 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:53 am
Stu B wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:39 am
pieter wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:32 am
Stu B wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:27 am
Stice wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:55 am
Stu B wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:53 am Qpas - Absolute joy of a filter. Use it for all bass duties. Beefy AF. Cv on the cutoff for a filter is essential I think. The others I’ve owned that don’t have it always feel lacking.
What filters do you have that don’t have CV over cutoff?
Filter 8 didn’t have it but I sold that. I have a stereo dipole that doesn’t appear to have it but not had it long or used it much. Both have cv resonance but no cutoff. Unless I’m a moron (this is possible..)
Umm... I have some bad news for you. ;)

On Filter 8 you have V/Oct frequency control and linear FM. Both modulate the cutoff frequency. The Stereo Dipole filter has both V/Oct and linear FM as well, on both filters.
Well, this is embarrassing 😂.

I should have read more manuals.
You can also use the EFM on Filter 8 to control cutoff frequency. Three options with different abilities!
It was one of the first modules I bought when I knew absolutely nothing about synthesis. I sold it quickly at the time but wonder if I’d enjoy it more now I’ve gathered a bit more knowledge.
dip_registered
Veteran Wiggler

Post by dip_registered »

Since 2020, the only modules I purchased that I’ve kept since then (and made it through a complete setup change) is the 106 Chorus, ES-9 and the 2HP Buff Mult. But since then, I’ve definitely found some absolute keepers.
fosferus
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fosferus »

Braids.

It was the first sound source it got in 2015 (Maths was first, Braids second) and even today it still surprises me. It only gets boring if you can't come up with creative modulation.

If I were forced to pick 3 modules for the rest of my life, it would probably be maths, braids and clouds. Which is what I started my rack with. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”