What modules are your most successful long term investments in Eurorack?

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
Rabid
Super Deluxe Wiggler

What modules are your most successful long term investments in Eurorack?

Post by Rabid »

I don't mean financial like the QMMG. What modules that you bought years ago are still in your rack, earning their space and likely to be there 10 years from now?

I want to say my LiveWire Vulcan, Dalek, and 2 AFG's. But being honest with myself, while they are my favorites they are not my most used and most secure. I was lucky enough to get the Intelligen Mutagen/HexVCA combo and original Azimuth, Cwejman VCA-4MX and VCA-2P. All were bought 10 years ago, used, and without much thought. This was before people went Cwejman crazy. I never think of them as showpiece modules, I take them for granted every day, but when I start browsing online stores for modules I never look at other VCA's. I guess VCA's are like speakers or headphones. Once you buy a really good set you are done.
Sometimes I feel like the Red Green of modulars.
starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: What modules are your most successful long term investments in Eurorack?

Post by starthief »

Rings: the module that got me into Eurorack in the first place in October 2016 and it still gets pretty regular usage.

I've also had Kermit mk2 more than 5 years, and it's very much a staple. O'Tool+ and Natural Gate I've owned for nearly that long, and also get regular usage. I'm really pleased that I got Natural Gate in its first batch.

There are ones I've owned for less time which I value highly and couldn't see myself letting go of. Odessa, Sweet Sixteen, Shapeshifter, Mimeophon are all pretty damned great. Just outside the rack, 0-Ctrl and Strega. I can't see dropping Shades or Blades or Stages. Clep Diaz is a small bundle of fun, and the Versios and Legio seem like contenders for staying around a good while.

Because I'm a horrible nerd consumed by curiosity over useless statistics, I made a spreadsheet of how long I've owned all the modules I still have. The median age is 2 years, 2 months. 1/4 of my modules I've owned less than 1 year, and another 1/4 of them between 1 and 2.

I'm not going to try to figure that out for all the modules I've ever owned, and how long I spent with them. Though now that I mention it, I'm kind of curious about it too :lol:
Last edited by starthief on Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BLogic12
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BLogic12 »

Klangbau Twin Peak Resonator (and filter)
4ms DLD
ALM Pam's new workout
Rabid Elephant Natural Gate (newer addition relative to others bet it has earned its permanent place)

These because they are so important for my modular music's identity. I would have a hard time doing what I do without them (especially the first two mentioned). So i think i will have them as long as i'm into eurorack.

Then there are the modules I have truly had the longest - Maths, Turing Machine mk2, Malekko dual VCA. These have stayed in my rack since the beginning, and probably never going so they equally earn their spot on the list just for that alone.
Last edited by BLogic12 on Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stice
Ultra Wiggler

Post by stice »

Linix
4x4x4
Propagate
3x MIA

Simple modules that are near perfect for what they do. You can find similar modules that are different, but probably not better.
Turn on. Plug in. S l e w d o w n.
msegarra
Ultra Wiggler

Post by msegarra »

Wmd performance mixer and mutes
Pelsea
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pelsea »

Beats me. I’ve only been doing eurorack for four years and only just finished filling my racks. My favorite module at any time is what’s central to my current patch. I might just patch around the Synchrodyne for six months, then discover it is key to a new piece.
Also, in 50 years working with synthesis I’ve never thrown out a piece of gear. I’ve disassembled a few items, and given some away but everything that ever meant anything is in storage.
Books and tutorials on modular synthesis at http://peterelsea.com
Retired academic.
rohelineoun
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rohelineoun »

Back in 2013, the first four modules I bought were a Dixie II, an Optomix, a Maths and a MI Ripples. Despite having a mid sized system, a Deopfer P9 and an Intellijel Performance case, I've held on to everything save the Ripples (which I sold to get a Toppobrillo Multifilter that I still have as well). The Maths will never leave. The Dixie and the Optomix aren't worth the effort, money, or rack space to sell (I don't love them necessarily but they are always useful). The only other module aside from the Multifilter (because damn if that isn't the perfect filter in my book) that I'll never part with is the Metropolis. That style sequencer is so vital to my creative process and there is no substitute for it.
Elahrairah
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Elahrairah »

Plaits and Maths come and go….but the Doepfer Theremin has been controlling the Koma vactrol filter forever. Waving your arm to make a voice enter and warble never gets old.
Karltron modules available in PCB, kit, or built to order.
causticlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by causticlogic »

A lot of things have come and gone over the years. Yet other things came back and left again. Some eventually stayed.

The only modules I still have from the first couple I bought in 2011 are a Flight of Harmony Plague Bearer, a Sound of Shadows, and a Power module (though i haven't used the Power module in years). They've been absolute mainstays, along with an Imp and Choices module I got about 10 years ago.

Next longest would be some of Manhattan Analog's stuff, with a Mix, some CVPs, and a prototype Mutinator when they first came out. I've had those around 10 years as well.

I've also frequently owned Cyclebox 2s. For a couple years I didn't have any, but I'm back up to 3 of them. My favorite digital oscillator by far.

And while I've not had the same modules over the years, I've always had multiple Doepfer VC Switching modules (A150 and A151).

Honorable mentions to Malekko Wiard stuff (though i don't have any of that these days), Metasonix, and Harvestman stuff. I've always had Metasonix of some variety and though i don't have my old mk1 Harvestman system anymore, I have a large MK2 system.
RealDudes wrote:there's only one window in my padded cell and all I can see is a hallway
looks like there's blood on the floor again
Bumply wrote:I just want to leave work right now and listen to a nice triangle wave.
hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz »

Stages
Falistri
Marbles

Had them since their first run and haven’t looked to replace them.
Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu »

4MS QCD and expander - I got these when they first came out and they have never left the rack.

Doepfer A-132-3 dual VCA: sounds boring, but I got it second-hand around 2010 and it's still in my main rack

Modcan dual delay: I have several other delays, but this has been in the rack since around 2013 I think.

Optomix & Quantimator: not sure when I got these (2013-2016?), but I have tried to leave them out several times and they keep just coming back.
lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa »

Pamela's New Workout. I have five. Saying that I use PNW in every patch is an understatement; I use all channels of PNW in every patch.
New track! Our first release in a year and a half. Mostly based on the TINRS Fenix IV. :godzilla:

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac »

All of them. I built my eurorack from June 2011 to December 2013 and haven't sold a single module, which means most of my modules are already 10+ years old. I don't have plans to "upgrade" anytime soon. My modular is two-thirds Malekko-Wiard stuff (original gargoyle stuff): 2xAnti, 2xUnkle, 3xEnvelator, Borg 1, Borg 2, Boogie, NoiseRing, Xmix, plus a Wooglebug, all fed by a uZeus. I use that stuff all the time.
Hyberus
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Hyberus »

Most of the modules from the ready built Doepfer A100 system that I bought in 2015 are still in use. As is the MI Elements which was the next purchase.
Random is the new maRnod
anosou
Wiggling with Experience

Post by anosou »

I still have the first two modules I bought, an original Tides and an Intillijel Atlantis. The Atlantis is in a keyboard case nowadays and will never ever get sold. Tides is used less now since the 2018 version came out

I bought a Noise Engineering Sinc Iter when it came out and it’s never left my rack… but I did buy three more!

As for what’s gotten the most consistent use since I got it, both Plaits and Marbles are used in 95% of all my patches.
You can hear & see my modular noodling on YouTube.
You can find my rack at ModularGrid.
kriskeyman
Common Wiggler

Post by kriskeyman »

Planar, Arcadian Rhythms, Divkid Mutes, Nerdseq, SIG, PNW, DLD, Jumble Henge
Bignorthumbrian
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bignorthumbrian »

Doepfer A-106-5, my first filter, and still my favourite.
here hare here!
Cpaf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Cpaf »

This is fun - I have "only" been in eurorack for what 3 years, and have only switched/traded two modules. The ones I am certain I will hold on to as long as I'm into eurorack is Mimeophon, Plonk and Planar2.

I had Hermod as my first larger sequencer brain, and while it is in some ways perfect, it is just not in so many ways. So I traded for an Eloquencer, but it ain't what I'm looking for I know now - looking at Black Sequencer and Ground Control instead. The other module was the Endorphin.es envelope module (I can never remember the name). It actually sounded awesome as an oscillator but was just too cramped and I decided to send it back immediately. Got a Tides v2 and while I really want to try Just Friends, I really don't seem myself letting go of Tides ever.

My first module was Filter 8, and I thought that would be a keeper forever, but I must admit that the new FSS FIL4 actually has me considering trading it. The new Toppobrillo multifilter 2 and Angle Grinder also got me interested. So I will probably end up letting it go, as I actually do like a filter with more character and don't use it for lfo duty that much having Planar for that.

I also got Sewastopol 2 which I won't keep but replace with the new Instruo Larachd (or whatsitsname). Smaller form factor and inbuilt mic is just too awesome while still having an envelope follower. The footpedal input is also pretty awesome potentially!

I bought a used Dynamix but I could easily see myself getting a Natural Gate, Optomix, X-Pan or yeah something entirely different, as I don't gel that well with it. Though it is pretty awesome in many many ways.

I also built a Mini Drive, I'll keep that as it is the perfect partner to Plonk!

That said, I only keep modules I use in 84-104 HP systems. So, yeah they really have to be a home run for me to keep. And there is just so much new and nice modules coming out that iterates on older module ideas. So there is lots of great reasons in switching things up!
metamorphmuses
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses »

The long term for me is just four years; that's when I started with Eurorack.

Among the first three modules I bought, I still have one and intend to keep it: Mannequins Three Sisters
I consider that the most "successful" module in the sense of the original post's question.
Directly because of the success of Three Sisters, I acquired two other Mannequins modules: Cold Mac and Just Friends.

Among the next batch of several modules I bought in late 2018, I still have, enjoy and intend to keep the Bubblesound uLFO. I still think it's one of the best sounding LFO-VCOs I have. It became the benchmark against which I measured other oscillators, and it was because using uLFO as a benchmark never led me astray, I decided to only have analog oscillators in my racks. Subsequently, I also got a Bubblesound VCOb as a companion to the uLFO, and the two modules live and play together happily. I'd call that another success story.
Stu B
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Stu B »

Qpas - Absolute joy of a filter. Use it for all bass duties. Beefy AF. Cv on the cutoff for a filter is essential I think. The others I’ve owned that don’t have it always feel lacking.

Velectronic A-Envelope - took me a bit of work to get my head around it but it does everything and does it brilliantly

Morphagene - always weird and wonderful.
pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter »

These modules I bought early on, and I don't anticipate them leaving the rack anytime soon:

Maths
Turing Machine (the og Music Thing Modular)
SSF Ultra Random Analog
SARA VCF

A much later aqcuisition that I expect will have a long life in my rack is the WORNG Soundstage. I just love the stereo placement and EQ-ing that it does. Its output goes via a Shakmat HiPass HPF at 30dB to an outboard compressor (RNC), and then into a mixer.
Esnan
Common Wiggler

Post by Esnan »

Great thread! I started out with a basic Doepfer A-100-system around 15 years ago, and the oscillators (A-110) have stayed ever since. I have tried to get rid of them, but I'm probably groomed into their fat sound so they are staying. Other Doepfer modules that are still in use are A-149-1/2 random voltages, A-118 noise/random and the A-119 external in, plus the A-151 sequential switch.

Other oldskool modules that are still in use are STG Sea Devils filter & Wave Folder, Plan B M13 & M10. And (sorry) QMMG + Maths.
advrsry
Common Wiggler

Post by advrsry »

ALM PNW
Maths (you can probably pick something similar)
MadGav
Common Wiggler

Post by MadGav »

Esnan wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:19 am Great thread! I started out with a basic Doepfer A-100-system around 15 years ago, and the oscillators (A-110) have stayed ever since. I have tried to get rid of them, but I'm probably groomed into their fat sound so they are staying. Other Doepfer modules that are still in use are A-149-1/2 random voltages, A-118 noise/random and the A-119 external in, plus the A-151 sequential switch.

Other oldskool modules that are still in use are STG Sea Devils filter & Wave Folder, Plan B M13 & M10. And (sorry) QMMG + Maths.
I can echo a very similar story in timescale and modules, I can’t see the 2 A-110 I have going, also the A-118 and A-119, also the 1 A-140 I still have - too useful for simple things just does the job. Also Maths.
stice
Ultra Wiggler

Post by stice »

Stu B wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:53 am Qpas - Absolute joy of a filter. Use it for all bass duties. Beefy AF. Cv on the cutoff for a filter is essential I think. The others I’ve owned that don’t have it always feel lacking.
What filters do you have that don’t have CV over cutoff?
Turn on. Plug in. S l e w d o w n.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”