Animal Factory Amplification

New Hosted Sub-Forum. Check it out here:
Not exactly a new manufacturer but new to us. Check out their pedal and eurorack product and extend them a welcome all the way to Mumbai!

VCFs that are a great sound source by themselves?

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, Kent, Joe., luketeaford

Class
Common Wiggler

Re: VCFs that are a great sound source by themselves?

Post by Class »

BLogic12 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:36 pm
TimeRaveler wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:31 pm Pinging the QPAS is such a magical sound.
As does the klangbau twin peak.
These are the demos that originally sold me on TWO klangbau twin peaks:

That Twin Peaks sounds amazing. I’ve been lusting after one for years.
ee_
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ee_ »

Very surprised to hear you can get clean pleasant sines out of an Angle Grinder. Any video of this? I do recall the Grind/Spin setting could make a dramatic difference and that being very conservative with the sliders could tame it into slightly more musical-ish applications, but I don't recall hearing anything close to a very pure sine out of it. I guess I wasn't using mine right or maybe I'm only remembering the noisy stuff.
ee_
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ee_ »

ManNegative wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:11 pm This whole topic is one I’m interested in too. I’m now pretty set for VCOs (unless something really great comes along), but until the Erica dual VCF is delivered tomorrow, the Doepfer Wasp is the only filter I’ve ever had.

The SSF Stereo Dipole is very high on my list, as is the Angle Grinder (both of which have already been mentioned). Belgrad also holds a lot of allure.

I don’t really have much to add here, but thank you for raising the topic!
Dipole has surpassed my expectations in several ways. Belgrad has a lot to offer too and the sound quality is excellent.
ATW
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ATW »

BLogic12 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:55 pm
merlatte wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:40 pm
starthief wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:17 pm
LordKrud wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:12 pm
starthief wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:00 pm For pinging, I'd say VCFQ, Twin Peak, and QPAS.
Important distinction here as QPAS does not self oscillate.
I don't think Twin Peak can either.
The Twin Peak can self oscillate by feedback- at least the Blippoo and 5U versions. I’ve never tried any of the Euro ones.
My klangbau resonator and klangbau filter both can self resonate. The filter has a much stronger self resonance.
However, I have heard that some don’t and that the resonance characteristics can very from module to module due to slight component variances/tolerances. Some may self resonate, some may not!
My Twin Peak resonator self oscillates, after about 2 o’clock it is a constant tone, and really quite massive. If the filter self-oscillates even more than this…yes please!
ᴍᴏᴅᴜʟᴀʀ ɢʀɪᴅ ⟡ Control Skiff 6u / 104 Live Case ⟡ ᴍᴜsɪᴄ ATW on SoundCloud
vidret
Veteran Wiggler

Post by vidret »

ee_ wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:11 pm Very surprised to hear you can get clean pleasant sines out of an Angle Grinder. Any video of this? I do recall the Grind/Spin setting could make a dramatic difference and that being very conservative with the sliders could tame it into slightly more musical-ish applications, but I don't recall hearing anything close to a very pure sine out of it. I guess I wasn't using mine right or maybe I'm only remembering the noisy stuff.
If not running grind into spin all the filter outputs are sines. Grind out is a sine with added waveshaping when turning up the grind sliders.

It’s the starting setting, so to speak.
BLogic12
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BLogic12 »

ATW wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:43 pm
BLogic12 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:55 pm
merlatte wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:40 pm
starthief wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:17 pm
LordKrud wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:12 pm
starthief wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:00 pm For pinging, I'd say VCFQ, Twin Peak, and QPAS.
Important distinction here as QPAS does not self oscillate.
I don't think Twin Peak can either.
The Twin Peak can self oscillate by feedback- at least the Blippoo and 5U versions. I’ve never tried any of the Euro ones.
My klangbau resonator and klangbau filter both can self resonate. The filter has a much stronger self resonance.
However, I have heard that some don’t and that the resonance characteristics can very from module to module due to slight component variances/tolerances. Some may self resonate, some may not!
My Twin Peak resonator self oscillates, after about 2 o’clock it is a constant tone, and really quite massive. If the filter self-oscillates even more than this…yes please!
Yeah like I was saying though, they can very from unit to unit.
Could buy 3 of the same ones and they might all behave a bit different.
soundspossible
Learning to Wiggle

Post by soundspossible »

Intellijel Morgasmatron. The manual even has examples - https://intellijel.com/downloads/manual ... .08.03.pdf
BLogic12
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BLogic12 »

Made this quick example just now for the thread. Sample of Blades as a oscillator. Recorded raw straight from the module.
For the first minute I’m using the left side as the oscillator and the right side processing it, both wave folding and filtering. After a minute I’m using the left side as a carrier and right side as a modulator for 2op fm. SUPER DEEP FM! Then I press the shift button the v/oct tracks filters(oscillators) which is handy for 2op fm.
Only a sequence and a random voltage for external modulation here.

You might find this one interesting too. Here’s an older one I did where I’m actually using the e440 filter as an oscillator and processing the sine wave through Blades.

huron
Veteran Wiggler

Post by huron »

B4rbarossa wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:48 pm +1 for the VCFQ and toppobrillo multifilter.

I'd like to add that when using filters as a sounds source you're not just limited to sine waves. Pinging a filter into a wavefolder is pure magic because the decaying amplitude of the wave also caused the fold harmonics to fade away. Patching outputs into CV inputs also creates new waves.

Yes! One of my favorite sound sources is the Intellijel uVCF into the TipTop Fold Processor and then back into the uVCF back into the Fold. Crazy feedback loop power!
Wavtekt
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Wavtekt »

C4RBN almost track as well as a VCO, goes easily 8-10 octaves. The wavefolder and satuation also come in handy too, especially it can fold harmonically rich wave like square wave.
3pand
Wiggling with Experience

Post by 3pand »

Cwejman MMF-1s is absolutely beautiful for this because of how the saturation section sounds.
Conical Waves
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Conical Waves »

transistorresistor wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:30 pm the new topobrillo multifilter comes to mind immediately, Ive mostly used it as an oscillator since I got it and its amazing.
how is it different from the original?
transistorresistor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by transistorresistor »

never used an original one to compare but the units hes shipping now sound insane.
noisewreck
Veteran Wiggler

Post by noisewreck »

I have several self-oscillating filters, but Belgrad just sings! Plus the different cross-modulation modes give it sonic variety.
greyscales
Common Wiggler

Post by greyscales »

Another vote for Three Sisters and Blades.

Three Sisters has great pings and FM. Blades does cool PM, FM, and wave shaping.
BLogic12
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BLogic12 »

greyscales wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:39 pm Another vote for Three Sisters and Blades.

Three Sisters has great pings and FM. Blades does cool PM, FM, and wave shaping.

Oh PM! Is that just audio rate modulating filter mode while self oscillating? I have not tried that!
natureclubcassettes
Ultra Wiggler

Post by natureclubcassettes »

Dr. Octature II, also great as an LFO.
Ripples v1 for a nice bass drum. Ditto MMG when pinged (feel like no one talks about this one, but I love it!).
I find uVCF to sound really pleasant as a sound source as well.
Korgasmatron II can get totally out there very quickly, especially when self-patched.

I don't own it, but the R*S VCFQ has always sounded excellent to me. If I ever want to change things up from my MMG this would be the filter I'd replace it with. Tracking v/oct and acting as a slew are nice bonuses.
toppobrillo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by toppobrillo »

Multifilter 2. I wish it were easier for me to make videos.. le sigh
Benjam333
Common Wiggler

Post by Benjam333 »

Jornalougue Filter 8. Lots of possibilities.
natureclubcassettes
Ultra Wiggler

Post by natureclubcassettes »

toppobrillo wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:06 pm Multifilter 2. I wish it were easier for me to make videos.. le sigh
would love to hear more!!!!!!!
antonriehl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by antonriehl »

Surprised the Rossum Evolution filter hasn’t made this thread yet. It self resonates with a very beautiful sine, and has a 1v/oct input. When I bought it, I was after the filter, but they asked me if I was getting it as a kick, because it definitely does that well also.
imrae
Common Wiggler

Post by imrae »

Not as many bells and whistles as some mentioned here, but God's Box Humpback is my go-to sine oscillator and takes modulation well.
erikssynthsaddiction
Learning to Wiggle

Post by erikssynthsaddiction »

+1 for both the VCFQ and the Joranalogue Filter 8, former for the best pings you'll ever hear and the latter for self oscillation and sheer versatility as a sound source. Depending on how you patch it you can make sines, saws, and basically everything in between!
far
Wiggling with Experience

Post by far »

hypnoz wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:20 pm Sara VCF is great for this:

Three sisters as well. Linnaeus doesn’t self oscillate but has an entire FM mode that is super fun. QPAS for pinging only
I was going to say Sara, I preferred using as an oscillator over a filter. Sold after a few years because of this, was sorted for sound sources.
thelowerrhythm
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thelowerrhythm »

Said already, but Sara. And cheating: angle grinder.
"Ah yeah, you’ve got that strange blend of apathy and self-flagellation that somehow gets you where you want to go."

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”