Animal Factory Amplification

New Hosted Sub-Forum. Check it out here:
Not exactly a new manufacturer but new to us. Check out their pedal and eurorack product and extend them a welcome all the way to Mumbai!

Some chaos modules perhaps?

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, Kent, Joe., luketeaford

Domin
Wiggling with Experience

Some chaos modules perhaps?

Post by Domin »

I'm thinking of getting into chaos.
Everybody seems to love Triple Sloths but I've looked into and it's way to slow to be useful to me. I also don't need any more modules that just do what they want.
I've seen some very interesting modules at Elby but the site is very confusing to me, it looks like some stuff is eurorack compatible but I'm not sure which. Seems like some effort went into avoiding the word 'eurorack'. There's also the issue that it's hard to tell how much they'd cost me in practice, with the shipping, duties, taxes, and extra fees. Sound reasonable to consider some easier options first.
Any ideas? I'm in the EU.
metamorphmuses
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Some chaos modules perhaps?

Post by metamorphmuses »

The Hypster is faster and has more controls as it is a function generator not an LFO, but still functions on the basis of chaos and you can use it to modulate other modules.

Also, for non-NLC, you can look into having a Timo Rozendal Ian Fritz Jerkster - Chaotic CV Generator module built for you (if you, like me, haven't enough experience for DIY). I had a builder on this very forum assemble one and it's great. Even at its slowest speed it's much faster than Triple Sloths' fastest speed.
abluenautilus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by abluenautilus »

Ornament and Crime has the Low-rents app (and the hemispheres firmware has Lower-rents.) Adjustable frequency attractor function with multiple outputs.
AbundantChoice
Common Wiggler

Post by AbundantChoice »

metamorphmuses wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:10 am The Hypster is faster and has more controls as it is a function generator not an LFO, but still functions on the basis of chaos and you can use it to modulate other modules.
100% Agree. Hypster is great. At slow rates you can make it do Triple Sloths stuff, but you can also speed it way up. It's also interesting because you can sort of "push" it between "locked loops with occasional violent rearrangement into different locked loops" and more "chaotic chaos"
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff »

Joranalogue Orbit 3 is excellent and notably versatile.
pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter »

Benjolin is great for chaos, because you can dial in the nonlinear behaviour quite precisely using the rungler. It is great as a sound source (crap at V/Oct tracking, by design), but really shines as a modulation source.
thelowerrhythm
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thelowerrhythm »

Zlob has a few interesting ones.
"Ah yeah, you’ve got that strange blend of apathy and self-flagellation that somehow gets you where you want to go."
etckla
Veteran Wiggler

Post by etckla »

I have a Zlob Diode Chaos. It's cool, small and pretty cheap.
bronzebygold
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bronzebygold »

I second the Joranalogue Orbit 3. It had such a big impact on my approach to modulation, I ended up getting a second one. The biggest thing that sets it apart for me is that it gives you so much "control" over the parameters of the chaos (most importantly frequency and reset).
anosou
Wiggling with Experience

Post by anosou »

Big fan of NLC, really the most interesting chaos out there. I’ve built all myself and there are builders who can help you, but ordering direct from Andrew is fine too.

Hyperchaos Deluxe and Signum Hyperchaos are my favorite. They can all be built at different speeds depending on component values. I built both pretty slow, especially fun with Hyperchaos Deluxe which has a rate switch input for faster speeds or quick switching too. Also built a super slow Brain Custard which is excellent, three jerk chaos circuits connected together in funky ways. You can ask Andrew when ordering or the facebook NLC Builders Guild group about component values.

If you desire more control, Hypster is the way to go. But I kinda like them cruising along rather than being under tight user control. Embrace the chaos.
You can hear & see my modular noodling on YouTube.
You can find my rack at ModularGrid.
tdutz
Common Wiggler

Post by tdutz »

I have got a single sloth, and ornament and crime that stays pretty much dedicated to the low rents app, and a NLC hyperchaos deluxe. I am a big fan of chaos too and use all three on a regular basis.
The sloth is good for when you want something to evolve slowly over time gently. The ornament and crime is a similar flavour but offers way more control over the intensity and speed. It can go well slower than the sloth even, if needed, and yes it has two ‘pairs’ of outputs.
The hyperchaos deluxe has loads of outputs, is clockable, and has a few other bells and whistles like a random gate output.
Dadodetres
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Dadodetres »

bronzebygold wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:53 am I second the Joranalogue Orbit 3. It had such a big impact on my approach to modulation, I ended up getting a second one. The biggest thing that sets it apart for me is that it gives you so much "control" over the parameters of the chaos (most importantly frequency and reset).
What do you mean by "reset"?
Im never used chaos modules before, but im really interested in them,
By "frequency" I assume that means how "fast" or "slow" is the movement of the modulation, right?
Lux A Turner
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Lux A Turner »

Is it just modulation we're looking at here.

If not, then there's the MI Branches module and its clones. Klavis Logica XT also has a 'coin toss' mode with 1/4 and 1/8 biased outputs, in addition to the 1/2.

My Soundcloud - - - - - My Bandcamp - - - - - My Freesound - - - - - My Eurorack
pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Branches and Logica XT are probabilistic, which is fundamentally different from chaos: in a chaotic signal one (typically) has an oscillating voltage that jumps between two different frequencies, and the way it jumps between these frequencies is not random, but not easy to predict either. The upshot—musically—is that random is often too extreme in a patch, whereas a chaotic signal gives an almost organic variation.
kedowe
Common Wiggler

Post by kedowe »

The fast section of Triple Sloths is actual pretty fast. I find it nice to have the variety of fast and slow.

If you want much faster though, NLC Stooges has 3 jerk chaos outputs with 3 outputs each and the default values are quick - one is even audible. Responds well to inputs, so it’s fun to send a clock or period gate whatever into it
skysaw
Common Wiggler

Post by skysaw »

pieter wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:19 am in a chaotic signal one (typically) has an oscillating voltage that jumps between two different frequencies, and the way it jumps between these frequencies is not random, but not easy to predict either.
In Chaos Theory it's generally described as the interaction of simple processes in complex enough ways to cross into unpredictable territory.

A simple example would be three unsynced sine LFOs FMing each other. Simple ingredients yielding complex results!
Jamie Kowalski

My "Alien Sewing Machine Music" on YouTube
Chopper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Chopper »

Instruo SCION.
also Ornaments and crime, as previously mentioned.
Domin
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Domin »

Thanks for the answers.

I've looked at some pretty curves, watched some videos. This has also helped to clarify what I want.

It's Orbit 3 for now. It's near enough for free shipping, has pots and not encoders, and I can see the actual price. Magic stuff from the land of Oz gets onto the 'someday, maybe' list.

What I'm after is mostly smooth modulation in the range centered around 1Hz, which can be reigned into behaving roughly like an LFO and let loose if I want. FMing LFOs is what I already do, and it's probably what made me interested in going around the attractors. So what else I can look into in that modulation space?

What's the deal with the Scion? I've seen it but quickly dismissed is as a silly gimmick.

What does the jerk circuit do? All I found is some curves which look mostly like the typical two-well attractor.
metamorphmuses
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses »

Domin wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:56 am {...}

What does the jerk circuit do? All I found is some curves which look mostly like the typical two-well attractor.
Did you read this already? Ian Fritz' "Chaos Theory for Synthesizers".
MelodicAcid
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MelodicAcid »

For raw analog, I like the Synthrotek 4093 Chaos Nand. CV over impulse triggers and three switchable oscillators that can be beat together. Wild and untamable.
Just Makin' Noize
Peng33
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Peng33 »

I have Ian Fritz/Elby Designs' Chaotica. It has three outs and a switch for one or two strange attractors, and a "tame/wild" switch, plus CV and attenuators over four parameters. I like it. It IS a bit big, though.
Wavtekt
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Wavtekt »

I love Zlob ones. Compact and economical.

Diode chaos - kinda like sloth, but with variable rate
Triple Cap Chaos - Jerk chaos that you can feed audio into.

Their other modules are kinda chaotic too e.g. SVF have a chaotic resonance, VC F3DB feedback + gain feedback is quite unpredictable, but I am not sure whether they should be qualify as chaos or not.

There are normal modules that can be pushed to chaotic realm too, the key is nonlinearity, damping, feedback loop.
bronzebygold
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bronzebygold »

Dadodetres wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:39 am
bronzebygold wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:53 am I second the Joranalogue Orbit 3. It had such a big impact on my approach to modulation, I ended up getting a second one. The biggest thing that sets it apart for me is that it gives you so much "control" over the parameters of the chaos (most importantly frequency and reset).
What do you mean by "reset"?
Im never used chaos modules before, but im really interested in them,
By "frequency" I assume that means how "fast" or "slow" is the movement of the modulation, right?
The reset on the Orbit 3 works the same as a hard sync on an oscilator. (For whatever reason, it's referred to as "Reset" rather than "Sync" on the panel.) It forces the chaotic voltage back to 0 volts instantly. It turns out this is a super useful feature when you want unpredictable modulation that still synchronizes at certain points with whatever else is going on in your patch. It can also be used at audio rate to transform the Orbit 3 into a very interesting sound source, especially when self patched.

Yes, frequency is just the average rate of change of the voltage I suppose. Basically just what you'd expect from the name.
pelang
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pelang »

addac 506 stochastic function generator is great and can be patched in many ways...
natureclubcassettes
Ultra Wiggler

Post by natureclubcassettes »

SSF URA?

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”