DNA Symbiotic Waves - Advice please

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

Carl A
Common Wiggler

DNA Symbiotic Waves - Advice please

Post by Carl A »

Had the module for a long time, I appreciate it's digital, but I have trouble finding a use for it in my patches.

I'm not a manual reader so may well have to do so in this instance.

Anyone have it and can give me some tips how to get the best out of it?

I have mostly used it for modulation and not as an oscillator to be fair to the unit.
Keltie
Ultra Wiggler

Re: DNA Symbiotic Waves - Advice please

Post by Keltie »

I had one and moved it on. In hindsight, I had slight sellers remorse, figuring that I should have held on to it for longer, and used it in lower ranges, where perhaps the detail in the various modes and algorithms may have been more apparent. While I had it, it seemed kinda samey and noisey. I got over it, and don't mind that I don't have it anymore.

So thats my suggestion - run it at low enough frequencies that you can more clearly hear the detail in the various digital twistings that are going on.
Carl A
Common Wiggler

Post by Carl A »

Keltie wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:33 am I had one and moved it on. In hindsight, I had slight sellers remorse, figuring that I should have held on to it for longer, and used it in lower ranges, where perhaps the detail in the various modes and algorithms may have been more apparent. While I had it, it seemed kinda samey and noisey. I got over it, and don't mind that I don't have it anymore.

So thats my suggestion - run it at low enough frequencies that you can more clearly hear the detail in the various digital twistings that are going on.
Thank-You, I'm going to persevere with it for a while. Funnily enough, I tend to use it at the lower frequencies already, sounds very harsh in the upper.

I may have this completely wrong, but i'm certainly not interested in it as an oscillator per-se, going to try and cajole something I can use out of it.
Keltie
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Keltie »

Carl A wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:52 am
Keltie wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:33 am I had one and moved it on. In hindsight, I had slight sellers remorse, figuring that I should have held on to it for longer, and used it in lower ranges, where perhaps the detail in the various modes and algorithms may have been more apparent. While I had it, it seemed kinda samey and noisey. I got over it, and don't mind that I don't have it anymore.

Thank-You, I'm going to persevere with it for a while. Funnily enough, I tend to use it at the lower frequencies already, sounds very harsh in the upper.

I may have this completely wrong, but i'm certainly not interested in it as an oscillator per-se, going to try and cajole something I can use out of it.
Yeah, exactly that - a bit harsh. Maybe it would benefit from filtering too? Modulation may also be key to this....
Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ras Thavas »

You probably already know this, but it's all about the detuning ratio between the two oscillators. Tight unison, octave or fifth, slightly phasing, to wildly dissonant, these ratios make the various digital processing modes come alive. Also learn to love and accept the slew as a feature and not a bug :)
Carl A
Common Wiggler

Post by Carl A »

Ras Thavas wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:20 pm You probably already know this, but it's all about the detuning ratio between the two oscillators. Tight unison, octave or fifth, slightly phasing, to wildly dissonant, these ratios make the various digital processing modes come alive. Also learn to love and accept the slew as a feature and not a bug :)
I didn't know it, but fiddling around, yes very pleasing results when you tune so. I think part of my problem is that I don't really like the sound of the oscillators (and it's become blindingly obvious to me recently that it's this unit's primary thing, not that I knew that when I bought it). I've had it for years and tried to love it. If the most pleasing aspect (to me anyway) is still to use it as a CV controllable LF mod source with complex waves, then I suspect the space is wasted. I'm definitely not buying any more cases.......
Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer »

If I remember correctly the thing that turned me off of this module was that the detune of the two OSCs was very limited in range?
Carl A
Common Wiggler

Post by Carl A »

Dcramer wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:36 am If I remember correctly the thing that turned me off of this module was that the detune of the two OSCs was very limited in range?
2 Octaves
Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer »

Carl A wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:01 pm
Dcramer wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:36 am If I remember correctly the thing that turned me off of this module was that the detune of the two OSCs was very limited in range?
2 Octaves
Ok, thanks, that should be useable :hmm: maybe lol keep an eye out for one!
Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ras Thavas »

My DNA doesn't always stay in my case, but I haven't thought of selling it.

Pros- fizzy 8-bit wavetable sound (if you like that sort of thing, which I do), in-your-face-gain staging (it's got a somewhat ballsy sound, not thin for most waveforms), nice rolling, complex heavy sounds from oscillator ratios, oscillator mixing and processing. Interesting and unusual waveform processing modes.

Cons- static wavetables, some are less generally usable than others, at least 1/3 of the processing modes aren't generally that useful (to me at least). Processor struggles a little to keep up, causing a small glide when changing notes, more notable with larger frequency jumps.

One other pro- the interface is nice, clear and easy to use.
natureclubcassettes
Ultra Wiggler

Post by natureclubcassettes »

I've always loved the look of this module (and vintage PM in general) and it looks pretty cool. 8bit wavetables in combo sounds really interesting.

+1 on filtering. sounds like that would really help.

do you have any of the other PM/digital modules? was also always intrigued by the Verbtronic.

good to see someone else rocking the vintage modules!!
natureclubcassettes
Ultra Wiggler

Post by natureclubcassettes »

also, it seems like it would be useful for drones and supersaws, after watching a few videos

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”