The official I'm talking myself out of these modules thread.

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

BLogic12
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: The official I'm talking myself out of these modules thread.

Post by BLogic12 »

Dual complex oscillators in general.
Had a couple of them, never got anything out of them I couldn’t patch with other modules, and prefer the flexibility and more patch points of using separate modules. And it’s just more fun to patch your own complex osc.

I do have the tiptop 258 but don’t really count it because it’s really just a dual oscillator not a dual complex oscillator (no folder/modulation bus, normalizations etc).
James_S
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by James_S »

Instruo Lubadh. I want it so bad. Is there anybody that can convince me it's shit?
target_destroyed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by target_destroyed »

natureclubcassettes wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:32 pm
(btw is there a way to convert the large size vintage SD card slots to accept a micro SD?)
Search "usb card reader" on Amazon. Tons of options in the $15 range depending on what exactly you need.
Benjam333
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Benjam333 »

jheronymo wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:49 pm Anyone feel like talking me out of the ER-101+102 ?

Or, rather, talk me out of stashing 115000 JPY in the hopes that another run happens?

I’ve read the manuals and it seems like a great way to get some really deep melodic/harmonic/rhythmic permutations. I’m just having a hard time visualizing what needs to feed it, other than a clock, in order to get the most out of it.
I know people love those, but from what I've seen, it looks like a tedious process to program (NOTE: I am speaking for my own personal workflow, might work for you. But it appears to be a lot of buttoning around. I much prefer more immediate sequencers with some kind of control right at hand for data entry. For what the ER 101 offers, I'd much rather use something like a Digitakt > Midi2CV converter.

My main sequencer is the Rene V2 btw, but I do use my digital some thru a shuttle control as well. For chaos and performative fun, I love the combo of my steppy and mimetic digitalis. So I will talk you out of ER-101, but possibly talk you into these other ones!
plragde
Wiggling with Experience

Post by plragde »

natureclubcassettes wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:32 pm (btw is there a way to convert the large size vintage SD card slots to accept a micro SD?)
There are converters that look like SD cards but you slip a micro SD into it. In fact the micro SDs I have bought have come with one. Going the other way is harder.
jheronymo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jheronymo »

Benjam333 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:51 pm
jheronymo wrote: Anyone feel like talking me out of the ER-101+102 ?
I know people love those, but from what I've seen, it looks like a tedious process to program (NOTE: I am speaking for my own personal workflow, might work for you. But it appears to be a lot of buttoning around. I much prefer more immediate sequencers with some kind of control right at hand for data entry. For what the ER 101 offers, I'd much rather use something like a Digitakt > Midi2CV converter.

My main sequencer is the Rene V2 btw, but I do use my digital some thru a shuttle control as well. For chaos and performative fun, I love the combo of my steppy and mimetic digitalis. So I will talk you out of ER-101, but possibly talk you into these other ones!
Thanks for the input! This is good stuff to think about.

I’m also building a Klee, and hoping to eventually get a Serge TKB (+ quantizer).

To be fair, if it weren’t for the ER-102 I probably wouldn’t be interested. The 101 alone seems tough to program, and my interest is mainly in the note record/advance function of the 102, along with the inputs on the 102 that can trigger various parts, modify and stretch groups of steps on the fly. This part seems on the surface a lot like the Mimetic Digitalis (I only skimmed their site).

I’m wondering what’s out there in MIDI-land that can take pre-composed motives, harmonies, rhythms, etc. and scramble them live in unexpected (but controllable) ways. I guess if I have to put some manual triggers in front of the ER-101/102 to control the groups/parts, then what’s to say a straight up MIDI sequencer or iPad app can’t do this better.

Is this the kind of thing Digitakt does well?
natureclubcassettes
Ultra Wiggler

Post by natureclubcassettes »

jheronymo wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:10 pm
Benjam333 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:51 pm
jheronymo wrote: Anyone feel like talking me out of the ER-101+102 ?

Thanks for the input! This is good stuff to think about.

I’m also building a Klee, and hoping to eventually get a Serge TKB (+ quantizer).

To be fair, if it weren’t for the ER-102 I probably wouldn’t be interested. The 101 alone seems tough to program, and my interest is mainly in the note record/advance function of the 102, along with the inputs on the 102 that can trigger various parts, modify and stretch groups of steps on the fly. This part seems on the surface a lot like the Mimetic Digitalis (I only skimmed their site).

I’m wondering what’s out there in MIDI-land that can take pre-composed motives, harmonies, rhythms, etc. and scramble them live in unexpected (but controllable) ways. I guess if I have to put some manual triggers in front of the ER-101/102 to control the groups/parts, then what’s to say a straight up MIDI sequencer or iPad app can’t do this better.

Is this the kind of thing Digitakt does well?
Have you looked into Copper Traces Seek? It's an older module and sorta rare, but a very unique take on sequencing, and a very deep, yet intuitive module
natureclubcassettes
Ultra Wiggler

target_destroyed wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:26 am
natureclubcassettes wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:32 pm
(btw is there a way to convert the large size vintage SD card slots to accept a micro SD?)
Search "usb card reader" on Amazon. Tons of options in the $15 range depending on what exactly you need.
Stop! You're supposed to be talking me out of it, not giving me reasons to sink my money into it!!
Muff McMuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Muff McMuff »

Befaco Noise Plethora. I like the sounds its a rad module no doubt but i have a Doepfer A-189 Bit Modifier, A-118 Noise, A-117 digital noise, various filters, Resonant EQ, feedback, other modules that can go glitchy and noisy. I dont think it can give me any sounds i cant patch up already.

Same thing with 4MS Noise Swash and Flight of Harmony Imp. Rad modules which i was gassing for a minute or two but they dont give me anything i cant patch up already.
megarat
Ultra Wiggler

Post by megarat »

jheronymo wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:10 pm To be fair, if it weren’t for the ER-102 I probably wouldn’t be interested. The 101 alone seems tough to program, and my interest is mainly in the note record/advance function of the 102, along with the inputs on the 102 that can trigger various parts, modify and stretch groups of steps on the fly. This part seems on the surface a lot like the Mimetic Digitalis (I only skimmed their site).
I had an ER-101/102 combo. It was my main sequencer for a while, and I still regard it as one of the most-beautiful and elegant and well-designed pieces of music equipment ever. But I let it go, because its interface was too cumbersome to get what I wanted. If you want your music to be structured, keeping track of which parts have which part numbers and which order they’re in can be very burdensome. When using it, I found that I needed to sketch out a map of the song on a piece of graph paper or I would get lost.

If you’re looking to do semi-generative work, you’ll probably be very happy, even delighted with it. It’s really fun to load up with patterns and control its playback, either via self-patching or via an external modulation source. And if you want to venture outside the doctrine of 12-TET, it’s one of the best modules around. But once you start entering a few patterns, it’s easy to get lost.

Now I use the NerdSEQ, where I can see an entire song laid out in a color-coded grid, and I’m very happy with it. It has some of the same or similar control features as the ER-101/102, but the required effort is more akin to programming, by setting instructions and parameter values. Sometimes I wish it were more elegant, like the ER-101/102, but it’s a fine compromise for everything else that you get, and there really isn’t another way to make this sequencer as powerful as it is.
:drunkbanana:
acgenerator
Ultra Wiggler

Post by acgenerator »

Muff McMuff wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:37 pm Befaco Noise Plethora. I like the sounds its a rad module no doubt but i have a Doepfer A-189 Bit Modifier, A-118 Noise, A-117 digital noise, various filters, Resonant EQ, feedback, other modules that can go glitchy and noisy. I dont think it can give me any sounds i cant patch up already.

Same thing with 4MS Noise Swash and Flight of Harmony Imp. Rad modules which i was gassing for a minute or two but they dont give me anything i cant patch up already.
I'll take this one on.
It may depend on your musical style and whether you are using noise to create your own percussion sounds or drones or just spicing up other sounds.

Being into a harder styles and building my own percussions, my "noise strategy" is to use noise modules of different "families".
A-118 is a White /Colored Noise source (Static)
A-117 and A-189 output Digital noise. (Random Square Wave)

To get tones/timbre which you can't patch up with what you have already, look for complementary modules that have different families... e.g. Tube /Over-driven distortion, electro-mechanical, drone/oscillator swarm or speech/game chips. One of my best percussion sources is actually dial sweeps of the RF Nomad (don't even need good reception).

For glitchy, chip based and bit-manglers are the way to go. You may get more out of Synthrotech AstroNoise or Roboto than you would a Noise Swash or Imp which lend themself to better to drones (in my opinion).
jheronymo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jheronymo »

natureclubcassettes wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:25 pm Have you looked into Copper Traces Seek? It's an older module and sorta rare, but a very unique take on sequencing, and a very deep, yet intuitive module
No I hadn’t! Cool stuff. It distills a lot of these ideas into a really compact and intuitive interface. I’d have to think about whether I’m happy with chromatic. Also to get the polyphony aspect it would be sweet to have 3-4 of them which puts it in a similar price/obscurity range as the ER :hihi:
megarat wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:18 am I had an ER-101/102 combo. It was my main sequencer for a while, and I still regard it as one of the most-beautiful and elegant and well-designed pieces of music equipment ever. But I let it go, because its interface was too cumbersome to get what I wanted. If you want your music to be structured, keeping track of which parts have which part numbers and which order they’re in can be very burdensome. When using it, I found that I needed to sketch out a map of the song on a piece of graph paper or I would get lost.

If you’re looking to do semi-generative work, you’ll probably be very happy, even delighted with it. It’s really fun to load up with patterns and control its playback, either via self-patching or via an external modulation source. And if you want to venture outside the doctrine of 12-TET, it’s one of the best modules around. But once you start entering a few patterns, it’s easy to get lost.

Now I use the NerdSEQ, where I can see an entire song laid out in a color-coded grid, and I’m very happy with it. It has some of the same or similar control features as the ER-101/102, but the required effort is more akin to programming, by setting instructions and parameter values. Sometimes I wish it were more elegant, like the ER-101/102, but it’s a fine compromise for everything else that you get, and there really isn’t another way to make this sequencer as powerful as it is.
This is great stuff to think about. My greatest concern watching demos is I don’t know how well I would gel with the lack of visual feedback. Also I guess having specific ideas of how external modules or controls will feed into the ER-102 is really important too. If it’s going to just be buttons and gestures, why not an iPad and MIDI-to-CV, or a more graphically inclined sequencer. I can see how it really get interesting when self-patching or being triggered by other automated modules.

The custom voltage tables are a huge draw, for getting off the chromatic grid and sequencing things other than pitch.

I have a lot of 4U banana synths going on, if it wasn’t a $4000+ endeavour I’d be looking at a Buchla 251e and assorted support modules :doh:
Headlands
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Headlands »

NM
Last edited by Headlands on Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Is that the site with the weird cats on it?"
vidret
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vidret »

BLogic12 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:38 am Dual complex oscillators in general.
Had a couple of them, never got anything out of them I couldn’t patch with other modules, and prefer the flexibility and more patch points of using separate modules. And it’s just more fun to patch your own complex osc.

I do have the tiptop 258 but don’t really count it because it’s really just a dual oscillator not a dual complex oscillator (no folder/modulation bus, normalizations etc).
I still think they’re dope if you’re gonna patch it up like that anyway, and you can always use them as separate oscillators like you say.
Hertz don’t mk2 is the same size as the buchla but has a simple mod bus and wavefolder (but it’s digital, oh no).

Counterpoint to the tiptop buchla; I’d rather have two separate oscillators if they’re not gonna be prepatched in some smart way at all.
But it does look good.
James_S wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:03 am Instruo Lubadh. I want it so bad. Is there anybody that can convince me it's shit?
No.

Anyone feel like doing the same for me regarding 100 grit? :lol:
BLogic12
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BLogic12 »

vidret wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:31 am
BLogic12 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:38 am Dual complex oscillators in general.

I still think they’re dope if you’re gonna patch it up like that anyway, and you can always use them as separate oscillators like you say.
Hertz don’t mk2 is the same size as the buchla but has a simple mod bus and wavefolder (but it’s digital, oh no).

Counterpoint to the tiptop buchla; I’d rather have two separate oscillators if they’re not gonna be prepatched in some smart way at all.
But it does look good.
James_S wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:03 am Instruo Lubadh. I want it so bad. Is there anybody that can convince me it's shit?
No.

Anyone feel like doing the same for me regarding 100 grit? :lol:
I got the 258 for the sound not functions.
On paper doesn't look like anything special, but it’s actually analog oscillators at their finest in terms of fm sounds and waveform tones!
vidret
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vidret »

BLogic12 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:56 am I got the 258 for the sound not functions.
On paper doesn't look like anything special, but it’s actually analog oscillators at their finest in terms of fm sounds and waveform tones!
The best reason.
James_S
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by James_S »

vidret wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:31 am Anyone feel like doing the same for me regarding 100 grit? :lol:
Well, I can talk you out of buying one. I have it and it's my favourite bass voice, kick voice and also distortion. Annoying good, just wish it had volt per octave tracking on the frequency.
jheronymo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jheronymo »

This is becoming

The official talk me into these modules I’m GASing for (or recommend your favourite similar module) thread

And I’m here for it
DukeOfPrunes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DukeOfPrunes »

vidret wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:26 pm
BLogic12 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:56 am I got the 258 for the sound not functions.
The best reason.
Can't beat that chewy/spongy/tasty/swirly sound. Doesn't really exist in the digital domain... I'm not an Analog purist, but the sonic differences are clearly noticeable.
ATW
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ATW »

Vector sequencer — almost bought a few times, and cooled off on it (battleship Euro sequencers in general, for now). Just need to remind myself (repeatedly) that I tend to prefer patching a handful of bread & butter modules that are narrower in scope and function.

Metropolix — Drawn to this because of the malleability it seems to offer in shaping/mutating sequences. Similarly to Vector, cooled on it for now, in favor of using simpler modules already in my rig.

NLC Cellular Automata — drawn to the concept, and it is an impressive circuit. Ultimately I keep thinking I can achieve somewhat similar results with modules I already have and a bit of clever patching. Also not convinced I need this as a module, I could satisfy my curiosity using VCV Rack versions of Game of Life modules (a bit of a cop out argument, I realize).

Vector Space — Totally my speed. I'm chasing 'breathing patch' types of dynamics, where there are a lot of related signals (17 in this case) and patch dynamics that stem from a couple of origin sources. Small changes to the sources driving a module like Vector Space can steer the whole shape of a patch.

Erica Octasource — ^ Similar to Vector Space in some ways. A bank of related outputs leading to interesting patch animation possibilities.
ᴍᴏᴅᴜʟᴀʀ ɢʀɪᴅ ⟡ Control Skiff ⟡ ᴍᴜsɪᴄ ATW on SoundCloud
BLogic12
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BLogic12 »

DukeOfPrunes wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:29 pm
The best reason.
Can't beat that chewy/spongy/tasty/swirly sound. Doesn't really exist in the digital domain... I'm not an Analog purist, but the sonic differences are clearly noticeable.
I agree!!
Huge bonus- they are priced super reasonably.
natureclubcassettes
Ultra Wiggler

BLogic12 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:40 pm
The best reason.
I agree!!
Brandon-
How does the 258 compare to Rubicon and Dixie II? To me those are some of the finest analog osc in euro
BLogic12
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BLogic12 »

natureclubcassettes wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:32 pm
BLogic12 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:40 pm
The best reason.
I agree!!
Brandon-
How does the 258 compare to Rubicon and Dixie II? To me those are some of the finest analog osc in euro
They are pretty different, it’s hard to describe, needs to be heard.. Rubicon is more precise, more vanilla in some ways. 258 has deeper, bolder fm tones more character in its raw waveform shapes, as the square and saw are far from accurate and you can blend them sines. Rubicon is more glassy, 258 more wood/rubbery/organic.
Keeping the carrier oscillator a sine wave and fading the fm modulator from sine to “square” (and under cv control) is pretty special and sounds awesome.
The 258 just has some kind of rawness that I don’t get from other oscillators (and great low end).
Even talking to buchla format users, a lot of people actually prefer the sound of the 258 over the 259 for some purposes and sounds!
Both rubicon and 258 are great but pretty different sounding.
I wouldn’t recommend one over the other.. different use cases. Ya need both! (Sorry!).

Doing the opposite of that this thread is for :lol:
itemgod
Common Wiggler

Post by itemgod »

This is like a confession thread. I love it and probably need it. I've expanded my rack greatly recently and I can't justify any more expenditure.

Qu-Bit Aurora - the whole presentation looks excellent. I love reverbs but I'm looking for something different and this seems to fit the bill. Bonus points for the fact that's it's a Daisy DSP that will eventually have firmware swaps. Ugh it sounds so cool. And the lights....

Bitbox Micro - I love making DnB/breakcore/jungle stuff and would love a way to get some drum samples and chops into my rack without a computer. This one looks like a great choice.

Mimetic Digitalis - I've been having a lot of fun jamming on a 3U 84hp skiff with some pocket operators, and the only thing I'm really missing in that setup is a powerful sequencer that is performance friendly. I've been using TB-303 on Hemispheres O_C which is great but doesn't let me have discrete control over sequences. I would love to free up a Hemispheres applet as well.

Bastl Pizza - I do not have a discrete complex oscillator in my rack but can't really justify the HP or cost for one. Pizza gives me everything I'm looking for in terms of tone from a complex oscillator and it's small and cheap! I don't think I can be talked out of this one.
new signature don't steal
Muff McMuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Muff McMuff »

acgenerator wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:09 am
I'll take this one on.
It may depend on your musical style and whether you are using noise to create your own percussion sounds or drones or just spicing up other sounds.

Being into a harder styles and building my own percussions, my "noise strategy" is to use noise modules of different "families".
A-118 is a White /Colored Noise source (Static)
A-117 and A-189 output Digital noise. (Random Square Wave)

To get tones/timbre which you can't patch up with what you have already, look for complementary modules that have different families... e.g. Tube /Over-driven distortion, electro-mechanical, drone/oscillator swarm or speech/game chips. One of my best percussion sources is actually dial sweeps of the RF Nomad (don't even need good reception).

For glitchy, chip based and bit-manglers are the way to go. You may get more out of Synthrotech AstroNoise or Roboto than you would a Noise Swash or Imp which lend themself to better to drones (in my opinion).
You have the RF Nomad but i forgot i do have an Eton Shortwave radio with SSB single side band. The noises you can find and sample on it are pretty insane, limitless. Another reason why these modules which are very nice are not essential purchases.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”