The official I'm talking myself out of these modules thread.

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

nickerz
Common Wiggler

The official I'm talking myself out of these modules thread.

Post by nickerz »

Here's the concept. I have an enormous modular grid rack. Part of it, are modules I own. Then there's ones I'd like to own, many of them. A brand new car's worth. But then there's ones I'm on the fence about. Sometimes I have a shift of opinion and I'm able to get rid of it, and sometimes these modules sit here forever.

So here are my fence sitters, you can post yours too. And anyone that loves that module can tell you why it's valuable, and anyone who hates it can tell you why to sack it.

If you are lucky, someone will set you free and your wallet and anxiety will thank you for it.

:slapfight:
nickerz
Common Wiggler

Re: The official I'm talking myself out of these modules thread.

Post by nickerz »

• Optomix : So this is something I want for that perfect bleep bloop, but I'm having trouble justifying what is going to amount to a large price increase over the Buchla reissue which it's trying to pinch anyways.
  • MMG : What I like about this is that it's the "squelchier" version of the Optomix. But it's high pricetag in the used market is making me feel like I should just go digital in VCV for this kind of sound.
  • ACL Discrete Core Ladder VCF : So I really like bass boosted VCFs, but this is so incredibly pricey. Wonder if I can just bass boost seperately and use any of the other ladder units.
  • 4ms noise swash & fox sledgehammer : Both of these are what I'd call "random noise makers" and I'm considering doing a Death By Audio total sonic anihlation instead. The sledgehammer seems much more useful but all in all I feel like the death by audio pedal will fit the function better, which is me adding supporting sound to tracks.
  • Edgecutter TINS : Cool.... but I don't get the price tag for this level of cool as I understand it.
  • Instruo S&H : I just feel like there's more to be done with S&H, but I don't understand it enough to know better. I feel like there's better options out there but nothing has spoken to me yet. I wish DivKid worked at a store in Seattle so I could go there and have him school me. :despair:
  • DUSG : Would I ever want this if I have a (lovely black edition) Maths?
  • Industrial Double Andore MK II : Love the demos, hate the wait. Someone tell me how to rip this off cheap, I really like the cross modulation drones.
  • Rubicon II : I should buy a Z3000 before I even think about this so I have something to tune to. Why am I putting this off and getting fancy goofy sounding shit thereby forcing me to tune to all sorts of weird tunings when doing overdubs?
  • Quadrax : Again, why do I want this when I have a maths?
  • ADDAC403 VC Time Signature Clock Sources : I don't have enough time modules, thought I wanted to be snapped to the grid a while back (I'm freeeee now!), but really.... Thing looks like it'd be so helpful, but again, big coin.
:despair:
Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol »

So you have a black Maths. Cool.
Gaun Yersel!
metamorphmuses
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses »

Most recently, I talked myself out of the following:

Poly Effects Hector
Sputnik Modular 6 Channel Stereo Mixer
XOR Electronics Nerdseq
Five12 Vector Sequencer & Jack Expander
Wildfire Laboratories Lucy Says No Stereo
Rides in the Storm DMO
Super Synthesis Scanner
ALM Busy Circuits ALM019 - HPO

But Hector is likely a deferral for a couple of weeks, and Lucy Says No Stereo and DMO are probably deferrals to next year rather than definite eliminations from consideration.

I can't even count how many times I've nearly added a Nerdseq or Vector Sequencer to my shopping cart and then chosen to defer it.
Benjam333
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Benjam333 »

nickerz wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:50 am
  • Optomix : So this is something I want for that perfect bleep bloop, but I'm having trouble justifying what is going to amount to a large price increase over the Buchla reissue which it's trying to pinch anyways.
  • MMG : What I like about this is that it's the "squelchier" version of the Optomix. But it's high pricetag in the used market is making me feel like I should just go digital in VCV for this kind of sound.
  • ACL Discrete Core Ladder VCF : So I really like bass boosted VCFs, but this is so incredibly pricey. Wonder if I can just bass boost seperately and use any of the other ladder units.
  • 4ms noise swash & fox sledgehammer : Both of these are what I'd call "random noise makers" and I'm considering doing a Death By Audio total sonic anihlation instead. The sledgehammer seems much more useful but all in all I feel like the death by audio pedal will fit the function better, which is me adding supporting sound to tracks.
  • Edgecutter TINS : Cool.... but I don't get the price tag for this level of cool as I understand it.
  • Instruo S&H : I just feel like there's more to be done with S&H, but I don't understand it enough to know better. I feel like there's better options out there but nothing has spoken to me yet. I wish DivKid worked at a store in Seattle so I could go there and have him school me. :despair:
  • DUSG : Would I ever want this if I have a (lovely black edition) Maths?
  • Industrial Double Andore MK II : Love the demos, hate the wait. Someone tell me how to rip this off cheap, I really like the cross modulation drones.
  • Rubicon II : I should buy a Z3000 before I even think about this so I have something to tune to. Why am I putting this off and getting fancy goofy sounding shit thereby forcing me to tune to all sorts of weird tunings when doing overdubs?
  • Quadrax : Again, why do I want this when I have a maths?
  • ADDAC403 VC Time Signature Clock Sources : I don't have enough time modules, thought I wanted to be snapped to the grid a while back (I'm freeeee now!), but really.... Thing looks like it'd be so helpful, but again, big coin.
:despair:
I got a Quadrax and now rarely reach for my Maths unless I need it to modulate my Quadrax ;)
efluon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by efluon »

Quadrax has a lot more possibilities than black maths, but needs more brain activity when patching.
DUSG just feels easier and more precise to control than black maths. All three are very nice modulators, and if you do not have too much modulation, you don‘t need to have too many VCAs, right?

Optomix is so great with fm and folding, and again, so easy to adjust, i just got a second one. I don‘t need resonance with vactrol filter (mmg) but that is personal. Both can be found with old vactrols which tiptop hopefully will be able to imitate in their upcoming lpg.

More of your modules i don‘t know about.

From how you wrote that list I get the feeling that you bought modules not sure about why and then chose expensive ones? My suggestions to you:
  • take a small area of your rack and make patches there using few modules, centered around one of those in the list above to see what it can give you when you focus on it. Then you will know.
  • Take the time to learn each of your modules before adding new ones. Think specifically about what you expected before buying. Go slow with buying.
  • It feels as if for you VCV is an alternative. Maybe rather get a nice Midi controller so that you can control that then get actual modules?
Benjam333
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Benjam333 »

efluon wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:12 am Quadrax has a lot more possibilities than black maths, but needs more brain activity when patching. [/list]
I find that an oscilloscope is crucial with Quadrax as it’s very hard to remember all the possible shapes it can produce. But I’d argue Maths needs one too. Despite that, my brain ‘clicks’ better with Quadrax. I find Maths a little tedious when it comes to its more esoteric functions and that keeps me from reaching for it more. Feels a bit like a chore to patch it up to do certain things I can get Quadrax to do quicker and easier.

Don’t get me wrong though, I recognize Maths power and why it’s so loved, but yeah… this thread is kinda talking myself into flipping mine.
Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk »

I really want the Neuzeit Quasar, and I reckon i will buy it, simply because I have cash for it, but I don't really think the binaural effect is pronounced enough in it (at least from the demos I've heard). I'm still super intrigued by it, and for whatever reason imagine i can make it sound better or more interesting than the demos I've heard of it. :p
nomass
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nomass »

I have the inverse problem that nickerz mentioned about optomix. Since I have the optomix, why do I need to buy the Tiptop/Buchla version? In fact my rack includes so much non-Buchla Buchla functionality that I’m having a really difficult time talking myself into any of the TT/Buchla versions.
I have
Doepfer A143-1 for 281t
Plan B Heisenberg for 266t
Lpgs optomix, Doepfer 101-2, Plan B Model 13, RE Natural gate for 292t
Verbos VMS for 245t.
Admittedly the Buchla versions include some functions not included in the modules above, but most of that I have elsewhere in my system.
Copying Buchla functionality has been a major sub-theme in eurorack for 20 years, is Buchla too late to the party? I would have killed for the Buchla/TT stuff ten years ago!
jD
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jD »

metamorphmuses wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:10 am Most recently, I talked myself out of the following:

Poly Effects Hector
Sputnik Modular 6 Channel Stereo Mixer
XOR Electronics Nerdseq
Five12 Vector Sequencer & Jack Expander
Wildfire Laboratories Lucy Says No Stereo
Rides in the Storm DMO
Super Synthesis Scanner
ALM Busy Circuits ALM019 - HPO

But Hector is likely a deferral for a couple of weeks, and Lucy Says No Stereo and DMO are probably deferrals to next year rather than definite eliminations from consideration.

I can't even count how many times I've nearly added a Nerdseq or Vector Sequencer to my shopping cart and then chosen to defer it.
Curious about the Five12 & expander. Ive had it for a few months now and feel like my search for the right sequencer is finally over. Did you master how to use it? I feel like in a year ill have it all figured out and getting full potential out of it.
bronzebygold
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bronzebygold »

Great concept for a thread. I have a bunch of these in my modulargrid...

- Optomix.... agree with others about this one. I've been on the fence about it for ages. I don't make beat-based music, so I don't have too much use for LPGs, but Optomix is the one that seems to have a lot of other interesting uses. I love other small. multi-purpose MN modules like modDemix, so who knows.

- XAOC Leibniz System -- I love experimental modules, and the Leibniz System really stands out as something quite arcane and cool. That being said, do I really need another complex way to generate rhythms or digital glitches? And it seems like you really kind of need the whole system to get the most out of it. At least for me, if I went for it, I would want every module in the system. I'm not sure it's worth the space and money for me right now.

- E520 Hyperion Processor -- The idea of some really deep DSP effects, spectral stuff you can't even do on a laptop, is definitely appealing. On the other hand, I got into Eurorack to get away from a DSP workflow. Also the E520 is huge and the sounds demos I've heard have a very specific sound. I'm still leaning towards getting it at the moment, but that could change.

- Nonlinearcircuits Clump -- I have two other matrix mixers (a stereo one from Bear Modular and the Mix 04 VCA matrix from Rebel Technology. Do I really need another? (But clump is big... and has knobs on its VCAs...)

- Nonlinearcircuits Delay No More 3 -- I have a lot of weird, distorted delay effects. Do I really need an 18hp PT-delay? On the other hand, it's a triple PT delay! So cool.

- Intellijel Metropolix -- It has all the features I'd want in a sequencer. But I'm not big on sequencers in general, I try to avoid adding new modules with screens, and I build a lot of my own stochastic sequencing in MaxMSP anyway. Why do I need another way to do that in my rack? On the other hand, I do end up doing some sequencing in my rack anyway, just without the feature set of the Metropolix. Whose to say the Metropolix wouldn't improve that.
metamorphmuses
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses »

jD wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:44 am
metamorphmuses wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:10 am {...}
Curious about the Five12 & expander. Ive had it for a few months now and feel like my search for the right sequencer is finally over. Did you master how to use it? I feel like in a year ill have it all figured out and getting full potential out of it.
jD, I have watched a lot of videos on it, but I never bought one. I talked myself out of buying one on numerous occasions. So, I can only imagine that there is indeed a bit of a learning curve to it, but I have not personally had the opportunity to start learning with actual, hands on experience.
cinnatoastg
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cinnatoastg »

XOR Nerdseq - I’ve been purging my system of menu based modules but this still peaks my interest. The ability to sequence full compositions is appealing I guess.
Peng33
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Peng33 »

metamorphmuses wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:10 am Wildfire Laboratories Lucy Says No Stereo

Super Synthesis Scanner
I have both of these things. Got my LSN stereo a few weeks ago. I have been using it to manually control feedback...need to try it with an envelope follower to fully use it to its potential. I like it so far...it gives my feedback a bit warmer sound, but I know I am not using it as fully as I should be. It is convenient, though, to have two mono or a stereo pair of feedback routing without using another mixer module or without using the stereo i/o on something like Clouds as my feedback source.

I also have the Super Synthesis Scanner. Up until literally yesterday, I had been using it as a sound mangling/routing module (4 different outs that you can scan between), but I just got a Feeback Modules' LFO, and I ran the triangle out into the Super Synthesis, which then created 4 slightly offset versions of that triangle. It came in super handy the first time I used it this way. So I bought it for its "secondary purpose," which is decent, but was also something I had stopped using, and I was literally going to remove it from my case to have room to put in the LFO and Feedback Modules' Static. But I realized that with the LFO, I was finally gonna feed it what it needs to be fed, and am just now seeing how beneficial it is gonna be. Also, it is pretty inexpensive.

That said, I need to play with both of these modules more to fully suss out the most beneficial ways to use both.
metamorphmuses
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses »

Peng33 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:13 am
metamorphmuses wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:10 am Wildfire Laboratories Lucy Says No Stereo

Super Synthesis Scanner
I have both of these things. Got my LSN stereo a few weeks ago. I have been using it to manually control feedback...need to try it with an envelope follower to fully use it to its potential. I like it so far...it gives my feedback a bit warmer sound, but I know I am not using it as fully as I should be. It is convenient, though, to have two mono or a stereo pair of feedback routing without using another mixer module or without using the stereo i/o on something like Clouds as my feedback source.

I also have the Super Synthesis Scanner. Up until literally yesterday, I had been using it as a sound mangling/routing module (4 different outs that you can scan between), but I just got a Feeback Modules' LFO, and I ran the triangle out into the Super Synthesis, which then created 4 slightly offset versions of that triangle. It came in super handy the first time I used it this way. So I bought it for its "secondary purpose," which is decent, but was also something I had stopped using, and I was literally going to remove it from my case to have room to put in the LFO and Feedback Modules' Static. But I realized that with the LFO, I was finally gonna feed it what it needs to be fed, and am just now seeing how beneficial it is gonna be. Also, it is pretty inexpensive.

That said, I need to play with both of these modules more to fully suss out the most beneficial ways to use both.
Your use of the LSN Stereo module piques my interest all the more. I had been planning on picking one up sometime in the next few months or perhaps early next year (finances being the key factor, even with the module as affordable as it is).

As to the Scanner, I am not sure I have room for this one now, but I was thinking of inputting a gate signal to it, and patching the Scanner's output to the Patching Panda Ephemere, to control for example the play speed of the CV sampler. I may revisit this idea later. I am not sure if that is the Scanner's primary or secondary intended use, or even a particularly good use, but I can imagine it being handy in a number of applications including the ones you describe.
bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 »

Next thread idea... "Modules that I wished I would have talked myself out of".
jD
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jD »

metamorphmuses wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:02 am
jD wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:44 am
metamorphmuses wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:10 am {...}
jD, I have watched a lot of videos on it, but I never bought one. I talked myself out of buying one on numerous occasions. So, I can only imagine that there is indeed a bit of a learning curve to it, but I have not personally had the opportunity to start learning with actual, hands on experience.
Talked yourself out of BUYING it , got it 😂
soundular
Common Wiggler

Post by soundular »

bc3 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:08 am Amendment:
Next thread idea... "Talk me out of talking me out of these modules".
Aleksey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Aleksey »

Vector is bananas tho, I'm mentally practicing how to sequence & route it in wacky ways to get away from 1/8 & 1/16 sequences. This thread might turn into people enabling each other tbh :hihi:

- Morphagene .. I think I'll like it. I like my Beads & Clouds combo. But with these two + Octatrack listening to whole rack at all times makes it a little luxury purchase both price & hpwise.
- Maths .. Come on, this is one of the modules that get praised all the time. I like the ethos of it, but at the same time I have Tides, Just Friends, O_c, Pam's, and couple DIY cycling ADSRs that all can do both modulation and functions quite alright when needed.
- Mimetic Digitalis .. I like sequencers. I loved my OG Rene when I had it and it was so fun. Moved to Vector as the ultimate solution, then added additional modules that can do sequencing. What it can do, I can already do in circles. But the price and the package is just right on this, it's always tempting for an extra layer or sequenced modulation.
- Mimeophon .. another case of it's cool, but do I need another of X situation. Got Rainmaker, FX Aid, Lyra 8 freaky delay, Beads & Clouds can do delays. None of them really do it the way Mimeophon does, but...
- Tiptop Buchla .. these are lit, super cool and I'm definitely onboard with having authentic Buchla in my rack. Alas takes too much space that I cannot afford HPwise.
- Cwejman VCA4-MX .. I don't have enough VCAs in my system. Using a set of different low pass gates take care of audio for me usually. I found one in army green, for $750. Do I need to spend almost a grand on a VCA? Hell no. Is it tempting? Hell yes.
- FX Aid Pro/MFX/Starlab/Versio .. I'm a sucker for large unique reverbs. I was actually planning to get a Chase Bliss 1978 to use it as a master reverb that I can f.u. These kinda help me to keep myself at bay by either being large enough to hit the HP limit, or simply not being available. I'll probably get a Versio eventually, just to satisfy my inner nerd and actually have access to Versio SDK.
- Leibniz System .. Wicked! But other posts addressed this one quite nicely already.
- Belgrad Filter .. I don't do a lot of filtering since I mostly work with digital sounds, and when I do I already have Filter 8, Blades & DIY MS20 Filter. Still lusting after this one. Nice to have, but a luxury.

Most of the times I talk myself out from a module, it's a nice-to-have, rather than an actual need. By the time I filled the 12U 96hp I have, I felt that I got way better at organizing my patches and fill the blanks in the system more efficiently. At this point I don't have any actual need for any other eurorack module, don't want to expand any further (actually I'm thinking about downsizing). Only modules I buy these days are the blind purchases to spice up the roster. Ordered both Sport Modulator and Clank Chaos with a similar idea, they look cool, does weird things & I'd like to learn what it adds to my current system. Do I know how they work or how they operate? Nope, but I think it'll be fun to find out!
Last edited by Aleksey on Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
merlatte
Common Wiggler

Post by merlatte »

bronzebygold wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:48 am
- XAOC Leibniz System -- I love experimental modules, and the Leibniz System really stands out as something quite arcane and cool. That being said, do I really need another complex way to generate rhythms or digital glitches? And it seems like you really kind of need the whole system to get the most out of it. At least for me, if I went for it, I would want every module in the system. I'm not sure it's worth the space and money for me right
Totally this one for me. I’ve considered pulling the trigger on it so many times, but it’d need to pull a lot of weight in my system.
metamorphmuses
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses »

soundular wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:39 am
bc3 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:08 am Amendment:
Next thread idea... "Talk me out of talking me out of these modules".
I think that's already an openly secret, secondary purpose of this thread.
grrrwaaa
Wiggling with Experience

Post by grrrwaaa »

Sarajewo. Expensive. Demos sound lovely. Fewer CVs than I'd hope for. More limited time range (presumably to keep the bbd noise down). Maybe more focused on classic synth sounds than wilder experimentation? Maybe pt delays would fit me better. Have about 3 of those on my maybe list (synthfox, befaco, st modular, etc.). But Sarajewo sounds so nice. Repeat repeat repeat...

Synthfox sledgehammer also.

Benjolin. Wrong levels for Euro. Wish some of the internal routings were open to cv. Could patch something pretty close from other modules, but more HP; the normals make so much sense. ALA Benjolin 2 ticks a lot of the missing boxes. But still no data input, no v/oct. Maybe that's missing the point of Benjolin. But wouldn't it be better to have that option?

Filters in general. Too many options, to much trad, to few CVs, etc.

Mobenthey... etc.
Icemaker
Common Wiggler

Post by Icemaker »

I'm talking myself in and out of a spectral mixer. Seems like it takes the hard work out of EQing, but I feel like it would be easy to get in a rut of everything always being panned exactly the same.
natureclubcassettes
Ultra Wiggler

Post by natureclubcassettes »

Xaoc Timiszoara. I have so many fx modules already, also no room in the case so I'd need to do another major rearranging, and I've had bad luck with Spin modules in the past, and my computer is so old it only has a "normal' SD, and have had no interest in the other really popular recent Spin modules. But.........

I have Sarajewo and Katowice and love both and this would sit so nicely next to them. Make me not want this!

(btw is there a way to convert the large size vintage SD card slots to accept a micro SD?)
jheronymo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jheronymo »

Anyone feel like talking me out of the ER-101+102 ?

Or, rather, talk me out of stashing 115000 JPY in the hopes that another run happens?

I’ve read the manuals and it seems like a great way to get some really deep melodic/harmonic/rhythmic permutations. I’m just having a hard time visualizing what needs to feed it, other than a clock, in order to get the most out of it.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”