ALM Busy Circuits ASQ-1

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

DJ Tap Water
Wiggling with Experience

Re: ALM Busy Circuits ASQ-1

Post by DJ Tap Water »

500?? Sheesh don't give them any ideas
1n
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 1n »

i've got a limited amount of space and a bit obsessed with this one

it's not on MG at present

from what i see at SB, in a 6U/52 hp ALM case ... 52 - TQ, MFX & HPO = 36 hp
Last edited by 1n on Fri May 13, 2022 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
venain
Learning to Wiggle

Post by venain »

DJ Tap Water wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:30 am 500?? Sheesh don't give them any ideas
Don't get me wrong, I think 300 to 350 is probably the right price point, I'm just expecting the worst :cry:
venain
Learning to Wiggle

Post by venain »

1n wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:39 am i've got a limited amount of space and a bit obsessed with this one

it's not on MG at present

from what i see at SB, in a 6U/52 hp ALM case ... 52 - TQ, MFX & HPO = 36 hp
There's a pipslope hiding on the left there so looks like 32 hp?
sacguy71
Common Wiggler

Post by sacguy71 »

it needs a screen but otherwise looks fun
My Music and samples
https://soundcloud.com/pebcap

My Old samples and music when I started learning music production
https://soundcloud.com/modben

Travel 7u Case
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1767271

4u Techno Jam case
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1751409

I have more but use these the most on the go.
1n
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 1n »

venain wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:49 am There's a pipslope hiding on the left there so looks like 32 hp?
thanks, that's more like it!

ipad screen grows dim...
r_omega_
Common Wiggler

Post by r_omega_ »

venain wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:09 am
r_omega_ wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:53 am Two things it has over Metropolix right away: 1. Two *independent* CV/gate tracks, 2. Four additional programmable trigger tracks (I believe with the Metropolix Expander you only get to choose from a predetermined set of clock division/patterns, meaning you can't sequence the triggers).

Love those chunky buttons!
I use metropolix a lot, this would definitely not replace it for me... The accumulator and mod lane stuff is truly amazing. You can completely decouple the two tracks if you want, takes away some of the jamability though. Also you can use mod lanes to sequence triggers, plus the expander actually has a lot of options including random triggers of various clock divisions.

There's a lot to love here and I want to learn more for sure. I kind of like the idea of having two dead simple manually sequenced CV tracks combined with plugging in some crazy Quaid envelopes into the quantizer!

Given the simplicity I'm hoping for a cheaper price point, but my guess is 500ish?
I use Metropolix a lot too. I also love the Accumulator. Mod Lanes can be tricky depending on what they are used for. But the difficulty of completely decoupling the tracks is a significant issue for me. Aside from the fact that we don't get "instant" control of the second track's parameters with the sliders and switches, yes, we have fully decoupled control of the pitches for the other track via EDIT > PITCH. The thing that's a bit strange to me is that there is no analogous, easy functionality for pulse count and gate type. EDIT > GATE simply allows you to choose on/off and gate length for each step, it doesn't actually give you the "Multi" (per pulse) option (in Track Setup you can select Multi for all stages but AFAIK there is no way to do it on a per-stage basis). For pulse count, technically you can control pulse count for the second track with a Mod Lane, dunno if you've tried it but I have and I did not find it to be very easy.

Finally, AFAIK you actually cannot use Mod Lanes to sequence triggers, another omission that's a bit surprising.

EDIT: With ALT > CV you can select Gate Toggle, and I remember reading about this now, there's actually no way to make the gates into triggers. In other words, if two consecutive stages are "on" in this mode, the CV out for that track will hold as "on" continuously for the duration of the two stages, so it doesn't function as a trigger...that's what I remember reading...but that option wouldn't be independent of the timing for that Track anyway so it wouldn't be completely independent triggers even if they changed that.

With this ALM sequencer, it seems like you just press a button to select a track and instantly the keys control that track. Intellijel has been very firm on their philosophy of the Metropolix in that the two tracks are intended to be "interconnected" and at this point it does not seem likely that they will ever add the functionality for the sliders and switches to instantly switch which track they are controlling.
Last edited by r_omega_ on Sat May 14, 2022 2:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
R-Omega
Postmodern Composer
https://r-omega.com
richie
Common Wiggler

Post by richie »

venain
Learning to Wiggle

Post by venain »

r_omega_ wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:08 pm
venain wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:09 am
r_omega_ wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:53 am Two things it has over Metropolix right away: 1. Two *independent* CV/gate tracks, 2. Four additional programmable trigger tracks (I believe with the Metropolix Expander you only get to choose from a predetermined set of clock division/patterns, meaning you can't sequence the triggers).

Love those chunky buttons!
I use metropolix a lot, this would definitely not replace it for me... The accumulator and mod lane stuff is truly amazing. You can completely decouple the two tracks if you want, takes away some of the jamability though. Also you can use mod lanes to sequence triggers, plus the expander actually has a lot of options including random triggers of various clock divisions.

There's a lot to love here and I want to learn more for sure. I kind of like the idea of having two dead simple manually sequenced CV tracks combined with plugging in some crazy Quaid envelopes into the quantizer!

Given the simplicity I'm hoping for a cheaper price point, but my guess is 500ish?
I use Metropolix a lot too. I also love the Accumulator. Mod Lanes can be tricky depending on what they are used for. But the difficulty of completely decoupling the tracks is a significant issue for me. Aside from the fact that we don't get "instant" control of the second track's parameters with the sliders and switches, yes, we have fully decoupled control of the pitches for the other tracks via EDIT > PITCH. The thing that's a bit strange to me is that there is no analogous, easy functionality for pulse count and gate type. EDIT > GATE simply allows you to choose on/off and gate length for each step, it doesn't actually give you the "Multi" (per pulse) option (in Track Setup you can select Multi for all stages but AFAIK there is no way to do it on a per-stage basis). For pulse count, technically you can control pulse count for the second track with a Mod Lane, dunno if you've tried it but I have and I did not find it to be very easy.

Finally, AFAIK you actually cannot use Mod Lanes to sequence triggers, another omission that's a bit surprising.

EDIT: With ALT > CV you can select Gate Toggle, and I remember reading about this now, there's actually no way to make the gates into triggers. In other words, if two consecutive stages are "on" in this mode. The CV out for that track will hold as "on" continuously for the duration of the two stages, so it doesn't function as a trigger...that's what I remember reading...but that option wouldn't be independent of the timing for that Track anyway so it wouldn't be completely independent triggers even if they changed that.

With this ALM sequencer, it seems like you just press a button to select a track and instantly the keys control that track. Intellijel has been very firm on their philosophy of the Metropolix in that the two track are intended to be "interconnected" and at this point it does not seem likely that they will ever add the functionality for the sliders and switches to instantly switch which track they are controlling.
I think the main reason this wouldnt replace metropolix for me is that metropolix is very jammable, it's super easy to modify your sequence in real time in interesting ways that get a lot of happy accidents. I totally get your frustration with the track decoupling!

The ASQ seems very different to me, it's much more intentional and not very tweakable (that we've been shown anyway) once you've set your sequences other than transposing. I do really love the look of it and I'll probably get one, but usually when I want that type of sequencing I'll just use the digitakt or something similar and use midi to cv
seicocorp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by seicocorp »

Looks simple and nice, however wondering why theres no slide or portamento.. They mention SH-101 style as an inspiration tho, so kind of hoping this could be included in an expander module.
soundular
Common Wiggler

Post by soundular »

ALM tend to put together videos that make their modules shine, so I think they'll be putting something out that will intrigue a lot of people.
hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz »

seicocorp wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:59 pm Looks simple and nice, however wondering why theres no slide or portamento.. They mention SH-101 style as an inspiration tho, so kind of hoping this could be included in an expander module.
When referring to "101 style" it means in input. It has nothing to do with the parameters. I'd recommend a slew limiter with that since you can trigger glide with a gate and it has those sweet gate tracks.
THUMPR BC SC
seicocorp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by seicocorp »

hawkfuzz wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:21 pm
seicocorp wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:59 pm Looks simple and nice, however wondering why theres no slide or portamento.. They mention SH-101 style as an inspiration tho, so kind of hoping this could be included in an expander module.
When referring to "101 style" it means in input. It has nothing to do with the parameters. I'd recommend a slew limiter with that since you can trigger glide with a gate and it has those sweet gate tracks.
Yeah I guess, its modular after all.. And and those extra triggers could trigger accents and what not too. But when I use slews for that I usually have to recalibrate the tuning and often loose a couple of octaves of tracking.

While doing slide and portamento in digital keeps tracking intact, so makes more sense to do it there imo. Good for faster workflow.

Still intrigued by this module tho. I like the simplicity.
venain
Learning to Wiggle

Post by venain »

soundular wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:07 pm ALM tend to put together videos that make their modules shine, so I think they'll be putting something out that will intrigue a lot of people.
Their official videos are a big reason I have and love so much of their stuff! Very hyped to see what they do with this one!
DJ Tap Water
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DJ Tap Water »

A dedicated gate input for adding 303 slides would have been perfect. The "gate" tracks are labelled as triggers and if that's accurate they won't be very convenient for activating slew. Btw if you use maths or time warp for portamento you wont need to recalibrate your v/o signal. But handling glide external to the sequencer/quantizer doesn't make sense to me 99 times out of 100, i think basic slide is an important option that should be catered for in the module.
dadRabbit
Common Wiggler

Post by dadRabbit »

Has there been a price hinted for this module yet?
venain
Learning to Wiggle

Post by venain »

dadRabbit wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 2:09 am Has there been a price hinted for this module yet?
This is all I've been able to find - no clue on the accuracy, but they say "ALM says it will be released mid to late summer for around £300"

https://www.gearnews.com/superbooth-22- ... -the-wild/
Angroc
Common Wiggler

Post by Angroc »

I agree that it would be nice if the triggers had atleast a way of tieing the gates together. But other than that I enjoy it's focused workflow. And love the addition of the quantizer than can be programmed by the keys. Anyone know if they're MX Cherrys or similar? I have been wondering lately to make a little portable case, and think this could be a fun centre point in it.

Given ALM having made expanders for the pam, it would make sense to maybe do so here too one day, for more tracks and quantize channels.
Rabidnz
Common Wiggler

Post by Rabidnz »

2 cv channels... sounds like someone will be releasing an expander next year. Not cool.
1n
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 1n »

for that price, it's great value and the quantizer is something i've not seen elsewhere - is it unique?

I'm not sure that 2 channels and 4 triggers fits it as closely with Squid as a recent demo suggested...

5 trigs and 3 channels would be perfect :-)
megarat
Ultra Wiggler

Post by megarat »

1n wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 5:59 am for that price, it's great value and the quantizer is something i've not seen elsewhere - is it unique?
The Intellijel Scales works much the same way, in that you use a (very tiny) keyboard to define which notes you want to quantize to.
:ripbanana:
1n
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 1n »

megarat wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:40 am
1n wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 5:59 am for that price, it's great value and the quantizer is something i've not seen elsewhere - is it unique?
The Intellijel Scales works much the same way, in that you use a (very tiny) keyboard to define which notes you want to quantize to.
Thanks! Maybe i should just get Scales - 2 channels, quant... :hihi:
megarat
Ultra Wiggler

Post by megarat »

1n wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:46 am
megarat wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:40 am
Thanks! Maybe i should just get Scales - 2 channels, quant... :hihi:
It’s pretty sweet and fun. It also has a built-in one-track sequencer, but that’s really just a bonus feature. It’s core competency is being a quantizer. The interface takes some practice to get used to, but it’s great fun. It’s also hard to find nowadays, with parts shortages, etc.

Not to take anything away from the ASQ-1, which looks pretty sweet as well. I love those big keys. I’m currently assembling an ALM-only case, featuring my Akemie’s Castle as the centerpiece, and I would love to reserve a spot for one of these, but I’m too space-bound justify it. Alas.
:ripbanana:
1n
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 1n »

megarat wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 2:16 pm Not to take anything away from the ASQ-1, which looks pretty sweet as well. I love those big keys. I’m currently assembling an ALM-only case, featuring my Akemie’s Castle as the centerpiece, and I would love to reserve a spot for one of these, but I’m too space-bound justify it. Alas.
it looks right, and i do like ALM - but i'm replacing modules now, not adding more - and ASQ would take a chunk out of my present 6u/104 (ALM, Mutable, Make Noise)
venain
Learning to Wiggle

Post by venain »

I really want to get it just because I love ALM so much - but I think the deciding factor will be how the pattern switching works. DIdn't see that in any of the demos really. Wonder how long it'll be before we see the official walkthrough, probably not until release?

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”