ALM Busy Circuits ASQ-1

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

erdbeerschnitzel
Learning to Wiggle

ALM Busy Circuits ASQ-1

Post by erdbeerschnitzel »

Quantiser/sequencer shown by ALM Busy Circuits at Superbooth today. Had a quick look at it at their booth, chunky keyboard-style keys and apparently two channels of cv/gate + four triggers. Couldn't find anything online yet so I grabbed a screenshot of their instagram story, also mylar posted this on twitter in 2015 already and it didn't look much diffeent from that today.
asq1.png

Edit: this has been posted in the Superbooth thread / Instagram post by Rubadub, I'll just add it here as well
venain
Learning to Wiggle

Re: ALM Busy Circuits ASQ-1

Post by venain »

Very excited to find out more! It looks somewhat basic to me but I'm sure ALM got some unique magic in there! Kinda wish it had a screen since it would probably mean more options/features but we shall see!
closedLoop
Veteran Wiggler

Post by closedLoop »

venain wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:00 pm Very excited to find out more! It looks somewhat basic to me but I'm sure ALM got some unique magic in there! Kinda wish it had a screen since it would probably mean more options/features but we shall see!
I'm confused about the lack of screen too.

Maybe it's designed for real time recording of sequences on the keyboard, and not NRT editing of sequences? I'm sure the coming demos will elucidate.
erdbeerschnitzel
Learning to Wiggle

closedLoop wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:15 pm
venain wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:00 pm Very excited to find out more! It looks somewhat basic to me but I'm sure ALM got some unique magic in there! Kinda wish it had a screen since it would probably mean more options/features but we shall see!
I'm confused about the lack of screen too.

Maybe it's designed for real time recording of sequences on the keyboard, and not NRT editing of sequences? I'm sure the coming demos will elucidate.
They instantly showed the real time recording to me when I was at the booth, so I'd guess that's the main mode of getting information in there.
cinnatoastg
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cinnatoastg »

Really excited to see demos for this one.
1n
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 1n »

guessing the width, compared with the MCF to its right...

24 hp?
erdbeerschnitzel
Learning to Wiggle

1n wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:29 pm guessing the width, compared with the MCF to its right...

24 hp?
Definitely wider, I'd think 32 or 34 hp (take Pams on top for reference)
1n
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 1n »

erdbeerschnitzel wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:36 pm
1n wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:29 pm guessing the width, compared with the MCF to its right...

24 hp?
Definitely wider, I'd think 32 or 34 hp (take Pams on top for reference)
i'll meet you halfway... Pam's + Squid = c.29

ALM doesn't mind odd numbers
venain
Learning to Wiggle

Post by venain »

24 hp?
Since it's ALM I'm going to guess either 25, 27, or 29 ;)
graythings
Learning to Wiggle

Post by graythings »

I've always wanted a "proper" sequencer module from ALM. If it's designed to complement or integrate with PNW, then I may have to ditch the Rene for this.
nios
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nios »

I love how it looks, and it looks really fun to use for the tactile satisfaction of punching chunky keyboard keys (although that kind of reminds me a bit of the fact you can "play" a piano roll from your computer keyboard in a DAW). However it also looks... kind of simple.

It's not impossible that it's able to interface with other ALM gear, or maybe it's not that expensive as it's actually kind of small for a sequencer on top of its simplicity. Or, it could be that because this was something that was in the works 6-7 years ago, that simply our expectations for what Euro sequencers can/should do has changed since then. Finally it is not impossible this could do other things we do not see on the panel such as ratchets or note probability via button combos or jumpers on the back. So let's just hold tight..
venain
Learning to Wiggle

Post by venain »

Yep, the fact that it looks so simple makes me super curious about it! It would be interesting if it could connect to Pam's via the expansion header but I'm not sure exactly what that would do... Manually trigger Pam's channels maybe? I don't see any obvious multi pattern functionality...

At this point I have quite a few interesting sequencers so it's got really stiff competition!

Hope we see some demos tomorrow!
hypnoz
Common Wiggler

Post by hypnoz »

Can’t wait for their product demo, they do great ones
Kristianjorgensen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Kristianjorgensen »

looks like the prototype is in a mini doepfer case, so might be 32 hp
ackno
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ackno »

looks cool! hopefully doesn’t have qc-evading bugs that they just accept and ship like the bb2
tdallas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tdallas »

venain wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:32 pm It would be interesting if it could connect to Pam's via the expansion header but I'm not sure exactly what that would do...
Maybe ASQ-1 + PAM could be some kind of Tertapad + Tête (which I don't own, therefore treat this as unprofessional babbling) ;) but I assume you probably need a new revision of PAM with at least more memory for that, because PAM is 'full' featurewise ... anyway, looking forward to some demos of this module!
MossGarden
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MossGarden »

tdallas wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:17 am
venain wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:32 pm It would be interesting if it could connect to Pam's via the expansion header but I'm not sure exactly what that would do...
Maybe ASQ-1 + PAM could be some kind of Tertapad + Tête (which I don't own, therefore treat this as unprofessional babbling) ;) but I assume you probably need a new revision of PAM with at least more memory for that, because PAM is 'full' featurewise ... anyway, looking forward to some demos of this module!
I think there could be some interesting utilising of the sync bus here, a bit like Rene+Tempi or the Malekko vari range. Could possibly be done on current Pam's who knows?
1n
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 1n »

i'm keen to see demo's of this and the Eventide Misha - both look like useful performance modules
venain
Learning to Wiggle

Post by venain »

Looks like it is as simple as it looks! Definitely looks fun to jam on, but I do kinda wish it had some kind of extra special sauce. No info on release date or anything. Curious if there's some way to edit the CV sequences after you've put them down

https://youtu.be/uJu_oW42IJ4
DJ Tap Water
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DJ Tap Water »

Cool! Love the 80s answering machine aesthetic and simplicity. I hope there is pattern cueing when moving between patterns.
r_omega_
Common Wiggler

Post by r_omega_ »

Two things it has over Metropolix right away: 1. Two *independent* CV/gate tracks, 2. Four additional programmable trigger tracks (I believe with the Metropolix Expander you only get to choose from a predetermined set of clock division/patterns, meaning you can't sequence the triggers).

Love those chunky buttons!
R-Omega
Postmodern Composer
https://r-omega.com
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff »

The quantizer feature is simple, immediate, and brilliant. More sequencers should offer this.
r_omega_
Common Wiggler

Post by r_omega_ »

From the Reverb demo on YT, sounds like there's no up/down/random type feature or probability--wouldn't be true to the SH-101 ethos anyway.
R-Omega
Postmodern Composer
https://r-omega.com
xcc
Ultra Wiggler

Post by xcc »

mdoudoroff wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:56 am The quantizer feature is simple, immediate, and brilliant. More sequencers should offer this.
For sure. I’m guessing it works like Scales or Penrose, which are the only ones I know of that work that way.
venain
Learning to Wiggle

Post by venain »

r_omega_ wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:53 am Two things it has over Metropolix right away: 1. Two *independent* CV/gate tracks, 2. Four additional programmable trigger tracks (I believe with the Metropolix Expander you only get to choose from a predetermined set of clock division/patterns, meaning you can't sequence the triggers).

Love those chunky buttons!
I use metropolix a lot, this would definitely not replace it for me... The accumulator and mod lane stuff is truly amazing. You can completely decouple the two tracks if you want, takes away some of the jamability though. Also you can use mod lanes to sequence triggers, plus the expander actually has a lot of options including random triggers of various clock divisions.

There's a lot to love here and I want to learn more for sure. I kind of like the idea of having two dead simple manually sequenced CV tracks combined with plugging in some crazy Quaid envelopes into the quantizer!

Given the simplicity I'm hoping for a cheaper price point, but my guess is 500ish?

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”