General new release complainers' thread

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

ProggyBoog
Wiggling with Experience

Re: General new release complainers' thread

Post by ProggyBoog »

I mean, how, exactly, is "Pizza" a worse name than "Cinnamon"?
Del
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Del »

plragde wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:25 pm
Del wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:19 pm It’s different if you’re *trying* to give it a bad name
You're assuming Bastl wasn't trying.
Yeah. I’m not bothered by “pizza,” mind you. In general I’m in favor of expressions of eccentricity and obfuscation.
JES
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by JES »

I love pizza.
"Now, I'm off to hook my cat's litterbox up to an envelope follower." --Aragorn23
windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by windspirit »

I figure this is the appropriate place to vent. Why did I have to get covid right before my flight to superbooth? I want to speak to the manager.
KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS »

pugix wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:48 pm
Jazzman wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:42 am Quote from NYT article.
"Constantly complaining...can also be a useful tool in bonding and helping us process emotions like stress and frustration."
Groening is even more effective. :waah:
Yes, he is! ^Fixed ur typo. :hihi:
Attachments
GroeningSimpson.png
GroeningSimpson.png (34.26 KiB) Viewed 675 times
Treat utility modules as stars instead of backup singers.
Treat power supplies like Rockstars instead of roadies!
Chase magic sound, not magic parts.
KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS »

You have 2 Osc and you detune them..than what?
wrngtrls
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wrngtrls »

ProggyBoog wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:28 pm I mean, how, exactly, is "Pizza" a worse name than "Cinnamon"?
I have zero adolescent memories of cinnamon. Conversely, there are precisely no psych-rock ditties that name - or even reference - pizza.

One is a spice, the other a slice.

The list is long, friend!
cbm
Eardrill

Post by cbm »

KSS wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:18 pm
pugix wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:48 pm
Jazzman wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:42 am Quote from NYT article.
"Constantly complaining...can also be a useful tool in bonding and helping us process emotions like stress and frustration."
Groening is even more effective. :waah:
Yes, he is! ^Fixed ur typo. :hihi:
One thing that always bugs me is people who pronounce Moog wrong. (rhymes w/ vogue)
Also people who pronounce Groening wrong. (rhymes w/ raining)
Chris Muir
Eardrill Archive - http://www.eardrill.com (on permanent vacation)
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire »

Kawouddd wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:37 am I sort of want an Erica Perkons but not enough to buy one with actual money. Could they also make it less teal? Thanks.
I love the colour. It's why I bought one. I wouldn't call it teal though. At least not on my computers. It' similar to some other shades of blue.
Last edited by dubonaire on Thu May 12, 2022 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire »

windspirit wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:08 pm I figure this is the appropriate place to vent. Why did I have to get covid right before my flight to superbooth? I want to speak to the manager.
Bad timing!
KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS »

@cbm
And yet, Bob when asked -repeatedly- said he didn't care and that both were acceptable to him.
Don't know if Matt feels the same about his own mispronounciation travails, but wouldn't be a surprise.

It *is* a thread for complaining though, so you're right on point! :tu:
Treat utility modules as stars instead of backup singers.
Treat power supplies like Rockstars instead of roadies!
Chase magic sound, not magic parts.
BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BaloErets »

I like turtles.
bedhead777
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bedhead777 »

The coffee shop a couple blocks away just started doing pour over coffee with featured, rotating bean selections. Now I have to stand and wait for like 10 minutes for the dude to pour the slowest coffee ever for some maniac who wants SLOW coffee. You get coffee to go, in all meanings of that word you work-from-a-laptop-in-a-coffee-shop gig economy slave bots.
GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy »

When the hell is this thing shipping?

I know there’s a global parts shortage but I need new content for my 64 followers on Instagram.
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire »

GuyaGuy wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:42 am When the hell is this thing shipping?

I know there’s a global parts shortage but I need new content for my 64 followers on Instagram.
Aarrgh! I have a room full of synths but I can't make any music until I get THIS ONE SYNTH!
Kawouddd
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd »

cbm wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:40 pm Also people who pronounce Groening wrong. (rhymes w/ raining)
Very much not in Dutch.

It appears Americans (?) are pronouncing it wrong.
cbm
Eardrill

Post by cbm »

KSS wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:48 pm It *is* a thread for complaining though, so you're right on point! :tu:
I aim to please.

BaloErets wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:58 pm I like turtles.
Who doesn't?

Kawouddd wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:31 am It appears Americans (?) are pronouncing it wrong.
It wouldn't surprise me at all. I have data points.

The town I live in has a street called Versailles. If you pronounce it like the rest of the world would around here, you will get looked at funny. Here, it's always Ver-sales. It also has a street called Buena Vista, which often gets mutated to Be-you-na Vista.

My last name is Muir, which is pronounced somewhere close to Mure, or maybe Mew-er, but it often gets mangled to moo-Ear.
Chris Muir
NoGuitars
Common Wiggler

Post by NoGuitars »

dubonaire wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:46 am

Aarrgh! I have a room full of synths but I can't make any music until I get THIS ONE SYNTH!
Just add some toys and/or plants around your dawless setup: instant music!
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire »

NoGuitars wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:24 am
dubonaire wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:46 am

Just add some toys and/or plants around your dawless setup: instant music!
I sit on wooden floorboards on a worn Uzbekistani rug I picked up when I lived there for a year learning the Doira. The succulents don't like to be on the floor. They prefer being near an over-exposed window.
Arrandan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Arrandan »

I wanted to post this in the SB22 thread but refrained to keep things positive over there. So hurray for a complainers' complaints thread where we complain about complaints!

Eventides launched Mishmash https://www.eventideaudio.com/rackmount/misha/ - a sequencer that "utilizes a unique, interval-based approach to playing and creating melodies". I mean, what does that even mean? Possibly it refers to Euclides' approach of defining every note by perfect fifths, which we all know caused eternal havoc ever after. So yeah, a good path to follow :foul:

But it gets better. One of the features is this: "Tone row based sequencer inspired by the classic compositional technique used in serial music". Everybody in academic music (you know, all three of them) will love this! For the rest of us, it's "Hey, why can't I use this note? Ah - I need to use these seven other notes before, even if that sounds crap". I love what Schoenberg did to break up standard harmony and to invent what makes horror soundtracks sound so cool, but first liberating all the tones to then bind them even more rigidly into rows "to keep them all equal" was not his finest hour.

Had to get that off my chest :despair:
Each day I publish a new track after a jam on my modular synth
YouTube - One Track Per Day
SoundCloud - One Track Per Day
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire »

Arrandan wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:47 am I wanted to post this in the SB22 thread but refrained to keep things positive over there. So hurray for a complainers' complaints thread where we complain about complaints!

Eventides launched Mishmash https://www.eventideaudio.com/rackmount/misha/ - a sequencer that "utilizes a unique, interval-based approach to playing and creating melodies". I mean, what does that even mean? Possibly it refers to Euclides' approach of defining every note by perfect fifths, which we all know caused eternal havoc ever after. So yeah, a good path to follow :foul:

But it gets better. One of the features is this: "Tone row based sequencer inspired by the classic compositional technique used in serial music". Everybody in academic music (you know, all three of them) will love this! For the rest of us, it's "Hey, why can't I use this note? Ah - I need to use these seven other notes before, even if that sounds crap". I love what Schoenberg did to break up standard harmony and to invent what makes horror soundtracks sound so cool, but first liberating all the tones to then bind them even more rigidly into rows "to keep them all equal" was not his finest hour.

Had to get that off my chest :despair:
You'd be surprised how many people don't use 12tet, including on this forum.
cbm
Eardrill

Post by cbm »

I think the Eventide Misha could be interesting. It mentions tone row techniques, not 12-tone rows. The techniques used in serial music are vaguely related to some of the techniques used the composition of cannons. The picture of Misha shows it set to C Major, so I don't think that jettisoning traditional harmony is their goal.

At any rate, I don't think we know enough about it to bash it at this point. I started a thread on it this afternoon: https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=261943
Chris Muir
Lux A Turner
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Lux A Turner »

Now that we're back on topic for a moment...

Stolperbeats. I get it, I love the concept, but...
  • How many %#$&ing LEDs do you need on a module?
  • 280mA on the +12V rail - how much of that is just for the blinkenlights??
  • Is there a dimmer control or (better still) off switch???
  • Does it come with a free pair of shades???? It bloody well should!!!!!
  • Jeezo!!!!!!
:foul:

My Soundcloud - - - - - My Bandcamp - - - - - My Freesound - - - - - My Eurorack
andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by andrewF »

plragde wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:15 pm
Richard deHove wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 5:14 pm - "Pizza" absolutely *is* the worst named module ever.
It's a pretty bad name, but my current vote is for Nonlinearcircuits "The Suppository of All Wisdom".

Thanks! I've been saving that module name for years, waiting for the design that fits it best. :tu:
output01x
Common Wiggler

Post by output01x »

andrewF wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:33 am
plragde wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:15 pm
Richard deHove wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 5:14 pm - "Pizza" absolutely *is* the worst named module ever.
It's a pretty bad name, but my current vote is for Nonlinearcircuits "The Suppository of All Wisdom".

Thanks! I've been saving that module name for years, waiting for the design that fits it best. :tu:
Please tell me you keep a small journal on you at all times in which you only write down amazing ideas for module names.
Comtraya!

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”