General new release complainers' thread

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: General new release complainers' thread

Post by GuyaGuy »

Also, I can't believe the new module that _____ just released isn't exactly 9HP because that's how many I have left in my case.
Phitar
Constantly Learning

Post by Phitar »

:youkids: Complaint as a team sport! Interesting... But it does seem to open up lines of discussion and finding of common ground between people who would otherwise not be talking to each other.

I do agree that groaning is also a very valid method of complaint. Perfect for those times you don't have time for a fully fleshed out and descriptive complaint. Groaning is the Fastrack, Express complaint.
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Wiggling for the Greater Goo! :goo:
Stice
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Stice »

Related: asking for product comparisons 5 seconds after a new module (which ships in 3 months) is announced on here.
Turn on. Plug in. Slew down.
Lux A Turner
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Lux A Turner »

Asking - nay, demanding - that you make your all your firmware open source, because Émilie.

My Soundcloud - - - - - My Bandcamp - - - - - My Freesound - - - - - My Eurorack
xcc
Ultra Wiggler

Post by xcc »

Lux A Turner wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:49 pm Asking - nay, demanding - that you make your all your firmware open source, because Émilie.
Here here!

1. Release code
2. ???
3. Profit!
lukemodular
Common Wiggler

Post by lukemodular »

Agawell wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:16 pm why are these new modules/cases so small???? ergonomics... argh!!!!
I’ve realized that big modules rock. I like having 2 maths. Probably need to go 12u, not 6u!

I am now anti skiff hahaha so full agreement
Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell »

Lux A Turner wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:49 pm Asking - nay, demanding - that you make your all your firmware open source, because Émilie.
... not that they want to branch a new firmware, because they had a cool idea that they want to implement... just "waaahh!!! I want a half price/half size version!!! and I don't think you should be able to make a few quid for your effort, unlike me and my job.."

... and on a similar theme complaining about not having amplifying, randomising attenuverters on every modulation input, because buying utility modules is an inconvenience and Emilie put them on one of her modules...
Modular Audio and Video Synthesis on Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

an oscillator is an oscillator - utilities are possibilities

choose the case to fit the modules - not the modules to fit the case!!!
Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell »

lukemodular wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:56 pm
Agawell wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:16 pm why are these new modules/cases so small???? ergonomics... argh!!!!
I’ve realized that big modules rock. I like having 2 maths. Probably need to go 12u, not 6u!

Luke, you've been like that for a while - all those serge modules etc... it's just taken you some time to realise it!!! or you've been in denial!

bring on the big cases, man!!

:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

lukemodular
Common Wiggler

Post by lukemodular »

Agawell wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 3:09 pm
lukemodular wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:56 pm

Luke, you've been like that for a while - all those serge modules etc... it's just taken you some time to realise it!!! or you've been in denial!

bring on the big cases, man!!

:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:
I’m once again being mistaken for another Luke… Teaford’s informational posts have been super helpful though. And serge is great of course
starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief »

lukemodular wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 3:15 pm I’m once again being mistaken for another Luke…
not_the_luke.jpg
not_the_luke.jpg (22.8 KiB) Viewed 745 times
Stu B
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Stu B »

GuyaGuy wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:47 pm
Stu B wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:50 am
Jazzman wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:42 am If you change your paradigm on what purpose complaining serves within human societal interaction, perhaps you will see it in a new light and be able to empathize with the person doing the complaining. Gossip also is one of our tools that serves a purpose. Some people complain about gossipers. To me its all just "elephant talk".

Quote from NYT article.

"Constantly complaining can be an easy way to frustrate our confidantes, but there is research that shows it can also be a useful tool in bonding and helping us process emotions like stress and frustration."
Complaining and criticism is so much easier than creating. It’s narcissistic too.

Not surprising, the NYT doesn’t do journalism anymore, just opinions.
Is that criticism of the NYT just there to prove your point? :hihi:
Yes 😂
BlinkyLights
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights »

Recursive complaining is the best (worst).

Complainers complaining about complainers complaining about complainers complaining...

(chef's kiss)
BlackBearDiner
Common Wiggler

Post by BlackBearDiner »

It’s not new, but I think the Dipole has too many CV inputs. Except for that, I think it’s an awesome filter.
joem
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by joem »

Did you release a module with a silver panel? Why isn't there a black panel?!?!

Did you release a module with a black panel? Why isn't there a silver panel?!?!?

Did you release a module with a black or silver panel? Black and silver are so boring, why isn't it colorful?!?!?!

Did you release a module with a colorful panel? Why didn't you use colors that I like? Why didn't you release a black panel? Why didn't you release a silver panel??!?!?
cbm
Eardrill

Post by cbm »

I came here for an argument.
Chris Muir
Eardrill Archive - http://www.eardrill.com (on permanent vacation)
funksy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by funksy »

Delay time is way too short to be a proper delay.
frenchcustard
Common Wiggler

Post by frenchcustard »

why does every module smell like rancid sesame oil?
if it doesn't involve sonics, my interest in any module is in the 0% ballpark
Keltie
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Keltie »

cbm wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:19 pm I came here for an argument.
No you didn’t!
Richard deHove
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Richard deHove »

Let's get back to tiresome nitpicking abut actual gear. Here's some annoying cavilling and quibbling you can instantly gainsay:

- Is the Perkons green or blue? It used to look green, now it looks blue. I want black.

- "Pizza" absolutely *is* the worst named module ever. And if it's going to have that name then surely one of the knobs should have some sort of pizzaesque design or color? The only color on it looks like pond scum.

- Why did only one "synthfluencer" (Sonicstate) mention the new Roland voice processor box was just a cut-down version of the failed VT-4 ? Why did all 4000 of the grovelling "synthfluencer advertorials" come out on the same day - is that part of the freebie deal?

- The OB-X8 has ugly colors, tiny knobs, clunky switches and is generally way too big. And if it's going to be that big why not put big fat steampunk knobs on it and for better ergonomics and control? Or considering how expensive it is why not have more knobs - I bet there's loads of "unknobbed" functions. If the design is so boring and conservative maybe the guts are too. Come to that all the demos I've heard so far *do* make it sound boring.

- Does the Octapus sequencer really need the name of the unit and the name of the company repeated eight times each on the front panel? I feel like my eyes are being enslaved.

And for something completely different:
- The Syntrix MkII is the best looking synth ever made. If I was rich I'd buy one just because it looks good - which is an excellent reason.
Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell »

lukemodular wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 3:15 pm I’m once again being mistaken for another Luke… Teaford’s informational posts have been super helpful though. And serge is great of course
so you are - and it's not the first time I've done it - although last time I noticed before I posted!

anyway - the same probably applies to you (if not the serge!)

natureclubcassettes
Ultra Wiggler

Post by natureclubcassettes »

why did Intellijel change their design aesthetic years ago? I hate the new font. They sent me a replacement uJack years ago (which was really nice of them), but it's the only one I have that isn't the v2 style and the font is so childish looking. It looks like it is smiling at me.

Rant over! I love Intellijel, btw.
Del
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Del »

I too want to stick up for the positive side of criticism and complaint. And I don't even think complaints should be relegated to a separate thread. They are a valuable part of the discourse on here.

When I make something, whether it's a piece of music or whatever, it's the criticisms I want to hear. In a lot of cases, maybe it's things I've considered, but maybe not. And maybe it can help me improve.

And I think complaint is also valid when looking at it from the perspective of the complainer. I'm not into fanboyism and the assumption that because I bought something from you that I'm your "fan" and that I'll take what I can get whenever you get around to it. I'm all for consideration and giving people breaks in certain circumstances, but when you pay money, you are owed something in return, at the promised date. And since you've paid the admission fee and have some experience with the product, you are also entitled to express your opinion, negative or positive, about it. That's how it works.

Finally, as a consumer I also want to hear complaints. When you're going to buy something, what do you do first? You scour forums to get an idea of how it works and whether it has any shortcomings. You don't want page after page of hype. The criticisms might temper the GAS and make you dig a bit deeper to see if it's really what you're looking for.

Some ways of expressing your negative opinions are better than others, that's for sure. But I don't like the idea that criticism marks you out as a spoiled, snot-nosed malcontent. It's also valuable.
plragde
Wiggling with Experience

Post by plragde »

Richard deHove wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 5:14 pm - "Pizza" absolutely *is* the worst named module ever.
It's a pretty bad name, but my current vote is for Nonlinearcircuits "The Suppository of All Wisdom".
Del
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Del »

plragde wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:15 pm
Richard deHove wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 5:14 pm - "Pizza" absolutely *is* the worst named module ever.
It's a pretty bad name, but my current vote is for Nonlinearcircuits "The Suppository of All Wisdom".
It’s different if you’re *trying* to give it a bad name, and NLC goes for gold every time.
plragde
Wiggling with Experience

Post by plragde »

Del wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:19 pm It’s different if you’re *trying* to give it a bad name
You're assuming Bastl wasn't trying.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”