Joranalogue DELAY 1 - Split-Phase Bucket Brigade Delay Line

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

User avatar
joranalogue
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 6:13 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Joranalogue DELAY 1 - Split-Phase Bucket Brigade Delay Line

Post by joranalogue »

The time is now

Image

While digital audio processors are often plagued by latency issues, analogue circuits are known for their instant response. But what if you want to delay a signal on purpose, without the use of tape or digital memory? Enter the bucket brigade delay (BBD) line: a series of capacitor ‘buckets’, which pass the incoming signal along at a high rate in order to delay it.

Delay 1 is a fully analogue BBD-based delay module with a multitude of features geared towards modern musical use. An integrated temperature-compensated, high-frequency voltage controlled oscillator (VCO) provides the ‘clock’ signal necessary to drive the delay line within 1 to 50 ms.

By increasing the drive frequency to over 20 kHz, the classic ‘BBD clock whine’ problem is solved, while still providing a wide range in delay time. Classic chorus, flanger and echo effects are easily achieved using the dry/wet blend, feedback and damping parameters.

To greatly reduce distortion and noise, Delay 1 includes a newly developed control circuit. The improved fidelity is maintained at a multitude of signal levels by an integrated high-performance compander, while maintaining signal dynamics,

The module’s ‘split phase’ topology provides two different dry/wet mixes, which may be used to convert mono signals to stereo, for complementary comb filtering and more.

Delay 1 also allows you to experiment with Karplus-Strong synthesis, an exciting technique to create string and percussion type sounds. This is made easy by an integrated noise transient generator, driven by the ‘pluck’ input, and by the clock VCO’s 1 volt per octave response.

By re-engineering the classic analogue delay line, Delay 1 brings the unique magic of BBDs into the contemporary electronic musician’s arsenal.

Coming in November 2022.

More info: https://joranalogue.com/delay-1
ModularGrid: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/joranalog ... gn-delay-1

Pricing: €350 / $350 (MSRP)
12 HP, 30 mm deep










More on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/joranalogue/sets/delay-1

Image
Last edited by joranalogue on Tue May 17, 2022 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joranalogue Audio Design
21st Century Analogue Synthesis—Made in Belgium

https://joranalogue.com/
micowata
Common Wiggler
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri May 21, 2021 12:17 pm

Re: Joranalogue DELAY 1 - Split-Phase Bucket Brigade Delay Line

Post by micowata »

Love it, the idea, good to finally use BBDs at what they’re good for, 1ms analog delays we’re definitely missing these days. Congrats for another impressive release :)
User avatar
cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2545
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:42 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Joranalogue DELAY 1 - Split-Phase Bucket Brigade Delay Line

Post by cackland »

Great job Joran. I’m curious as to the choice of max 50 ms delay? Why did you feel this was long enough?
Powerdwarf
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 802
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:51 pm

Re: Joranalogue DELAY 1 - Split-Phase Bucket Brigade Delay Line

Post by Powerdwarf »

or put the question otherwise, do you think 50ms is enough to call a bbd module “delay”. in my humble opinion this is flanger range. for example, the fact that a photographic film might get pushed further from its predefined value doesnt market it as 3200iso film if its actually 400 iso. sorry for example from other area but i think its good example. but thats a problem with modular delay labeling in general, starting with WAD for example which is also very short but somehow its still “delay”

Interesting module though, to some extent. 50ms short extent
wavesofwaves
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:31 am

Re: Joranalogue DELAY 1 - Split-Phase Bucket Brigade Delay Line

Post by wavesofwaves »

My CG products delay is sweating over this news.
User avatar
starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 6302
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:39 am
Location: St Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: Joranalogue DELAY 1 - Split-Phase Bucket Brigade Delay Line

Post by starthief »

I've often wondered why not have a BBD with a short delay time, and an optional clean digital delay to extend the delay time, in series. That way you get BBD flavor and the flanging/Karplus stuff, but also more "echo" length delays in a single module.

Ditto for the PT2399. The ability to dial in the balance between dirty and clean while maintaining a consistent delay time would be very cool IMHO.
micowata
Common Wiggler
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri May 21, 2021 12:17 pm

Re: Joranalogue DELAY 1 - Split-Phase Bucket Brigade Delay Line

Post by micowata »

Powerdwarf wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:55 am do you think 50ms is enough to call a bbd module “delay”. in my humble opinion this is flanger range.
I’d say that a flanger is always a delay but a delay isn’t always a flanger. The mentionned uses in the article mention comb filter, but also the, yk, the orher effects you can do with very short delays.

I like their choice because of the attention given to karplus, would be wasted with longer delays. Xaoc’s Sarajewo is awesome for longer lines, so this option is already on the market. A specialized shorter delay is much rarer :)
Powerdwarf
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 802
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:51 pm

Re: Joranalogue DELAY 1 - Split-Phase Bucket Brigade Delay Line

Post by Powerdwarf »

micowata wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:06 am
Powerdwarf wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:55 am do you think 50ms is enough to call a bbd module “delay”. in my humble opinion this is flanger range.
I’d say that a flanger is always a delay but a delay isn’t always a flanger. The mentionned uses in the article mention comb filter, but also the, yk, the orher effects you can do with very short delays.

I like their choice because of the attention given to karplus, would be wasted with longer delays. Xaoc’s Sarajewo is awesome for longer lines, so this option is already on the market. A specialized shorter delay is much rarer :)
no, it isnt rarer. Actually short delay is pretty much standart thing in euro. As well as calling flangish delay a “delay”. in analog domain 1v/oct is rarer but there still are modules with that. Cg delay among them.

What is really rare is bbd delay with longer times. And my post is due to the fact that I had Sarajewo and fuck me but i ddnt like it. The divisions that the delay times are split is handy but only sometimes, sometimes i just want to go offgrid. Also, there is no possibility to change delay times with cv. only with clock aka triggers but it takes time until it catches up and i find it really fiddly to understand how to dial things i want with it.

So my argument about these delays is in connection with the abscence of long analog delays that would be in my personal opinion satisfying to work with. So seeing another clever flanger showing up on the market being called delay is not something i am really amazed by.

Sorry, I understand that its probably good and interesting thing in karplus thing and novel approach in joranalogue line i think its first their fx module. Its just my personal dissapointment due to the void of damn long analog delays! Thats the reason Im always lurking to the pedal sphere for these things :(
User avatar
Buttons ARE toys
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 556
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:24 am
Location: Earth

Re: Joranalogue DELAY 1 - Split-Phase Bucket Brigade Delay Line

Post by Buttons ARE toys »

Read the manual, folks. The onboard clock only allows up to 50ms delay time because beyond that point, clock noise will be introduced. That's why it has the HF input, so you can override the clock with any square wave signal you want, getting longer delay times but also introducing clock noise that you'll need to filter out.
Astronomical Dusk - a web radio show of synthetic delights and collected oddities. Airs semi-monthly at astronomical dusk.
Lurker
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 355
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:35 am

Re: Joranalogue DELAY 1 - Split-Phase Bucket Brigade Delay Line

Post by Lurker »

Powerdwarf wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:55 am for example, the fact that a photographic film might get pushed further from its predefined value doesnt market it as 3200iso film if its actually 400 iso.
actually, thats exactly what happens, film speeds are recommendations, not the base iso of the film itself, in fact, most common films sold as 3200 iso today have a base iso of around 800 / 1000 but are designed to do well when pushed

either way, 3200 iso or 800 iso, theyre still both films
50ms or 500ms, its still a delay
Powerdwarf
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 802
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:51 pm

Re: Joranalogue DELAY 1 - Split-Phase Bucket Brigade Delay Line

Post by Powerdwarf »

Buttons ARE toys wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:51 am Read the manual, folks. The onboard clock only allows up to 50ms delay time because beyond that point, clock noise will be introduced. That's why it has the HF input, so you can override the clock with any square wave signal you want, getting longer delay times but also introducing clock noise that you'll need to filter out.
nothing new, again. Read my example about pushing films beyond and introducing noise on the picture. Its still short delay that cant ne pushed, but it isnt made for long delays. it can be pushed, its up to you to do that and introduce noise.

wonder which chip is in it, probably 1024
Powerdwarf
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 802
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:51 pm

Re: Joranalogue DELAY 1 - Split-Phase Bucket Brigade Delay Line

Post by Powerdwarf »

Lurker wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:56 am
Powerdwarf wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:55 am for example, the fact that a photographic film might get pushed further from its predefined value doesnt market it as 3200iso film if its actually 400 iso.
actually, thats exactly what happens, film speeds are recommendations, not the base iso of the film itself, in fact, most common films sold as 3200 iso today have a base iso of around 800 / 1000 but are designed to do well when pushed

either way, 3200 iso or 800 iso, theyre still both films
50ms or 500ms, its still a delay
yeah 2ms delay is still a delay. where is the line of common sense then, why there are words such as chorus and flanger if its all delays? reverb is also a delay, ddnt you know that? lets call everything a delay then
Last edited by Powerdwarf on Wed May 11, 2022 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
beechemist
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:13 pm

Re: Joranalogue DELAY 1 - Split-Phase Bucket Brigade Delay Line

Post by beechemist »

Powerdwarf wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:41 am And my post is due to the fact that I had Sarajewo and fuck me but i ddnt like it. The divisions that the delay times are split is handy but only sometimes, sometimes i just want to go offgrid. Also, there is no possibility to change delay times with cv. only with clock aka triggers but it takes time until it catches up and i find it really fiddly to understand how to dial things i want with it.
That's not true. You don't have to clock Sarajewo, and the delay time is adjustable with CV. From the manual -

"When Sarajewo operates in free mode, the
tap tempo button blinks green and delay
time is continuously adjustable from 20 to
1560ms via with the central dial.
The external CV input adds an offset to the cur-
rent value, extending the delay time up to 4x
(with negative CV) as well as shortening down
to ¼ (with positive CV)."
Lurker
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 355
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:35 am

Re: Joranalogue DELAY 1 - Split-Phase Bucket Brigade Delay Line

Post by Lurker »

Powerdwarf wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:57 am
Buttons ARE toys wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:51 am Read the manual, folks. The onboard clock only allows up to 50ms delay time because beyond that point, clock noise will be introduced. That's why it has the HF input, so you can override the clock with any square wave signal you want, getting longer delay times but also introducing clock noise that you'll need to filter out.
nothing new, again. Read my example about pushing films beyond and introducing noise on the picture. Its still short delay that cant ne pushed, but it isnt made for long delays. it can be pushed, its up to you to do that and introduce noise.

wonder which chip is in it, probably 1024
once again, film is actually commonly sold at different base iso than listed on the box (same with very slow films even)

also, pushing film doesnt introduce noise, it increases grain size and contrast
funksy
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:07 am
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Joranalogue DELAY 1 - Split-Phase Bucket Brigade Delay Line

Post by funksy »

Sorry to Joran for this thread quickly devolving away from the module into a discussion of WHAT a delay is. This seems like a cool module with that Joranalogue touch that expands on the concept and gives you lots of freedom to abuse it in new ways. Excited to see more!
User avatar
Snufflepuff
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 424
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:53 pm

Re: Joranalogue DELAY 1 - Split-Phase Bucket Brigade Delay Line

Post by Snufflepuff »

Lurker wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:07 am
Powerdwarf wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:57 am
Buttons ARE toys wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:51 am Read the manual, folks. The onboard clock only allows up to 50ms delay time because beyond that point, clock noise will be introduced. That's why it has the HF input, so you can override the clock with any square wave signal you want, getting longer delay times but also introducing clock noise that you'll need to filter out.
nothing new, again. Read my example about pushing films beyond and introducing noise on the picture. Its still short delay that cant ne pushed, but it isnt made for long delays. it can be pushed, its up to you to do that and introduce noise.

wonder which chip is in it, probably 1024
once again, film is actually commonly sold at different base iso than listed on the box (same with very slow films even)

also, pushing film doesnt introduce noise, it increases grain size and contrast
I'm intrigued, because a 1 volt/octave delay time CV input makes possible scaling the delay time to the period of melodic material. This is one of the necessary components of a physically-modeled wind patch, in which the delay time alone determines the signal pitch (the input is just noise). And you also need a short delay time: a 110 Hz tone has a period of 0.009 seconds.

Here's an example:

We're really digging this film analogy!

I would add that pushing film decreases shadow density, which makes for proportionately less useable image relative to fog, which is actually a pretty similar analogy to signal to noise. I think the previous poster was alluding to grain when he mentioned picture "noise," which I think is a defendable point. Grain up to a point increases the apparent sharpness and detail of an image; past that point, as with excessive push processing in low light, and the grain begins to degrade the subject.
wavesofwaves
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:31 am

Re: Joranalogue DELAY 1 - Split-Phase Bucket Brigade Delay Line

Post by wavesofwaves »

starthief wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:01 am I've often wondered why not have a BBD with a short delay time, and an optional clean digital delay to extend the delay time, in series.
I have definitely patched this up before, sending the full wet from an old Digitech rack delay into an even older Memory Man. The total signal degradation by end of that particular chain might not appeal to everyone, but I liked the technique and have wondered from time to time if it was ever implemented into a design.

Thanks for reminding me to try a version on the modular!
User avatar
drowld
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:53 pm

Re: Joranalogue DELAY 1 - Split-Phase Bucket Brigade Delay Line

Post by drowld »

Omg such a sick delay. what are the delay times achievable ?
beechemist
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:13 pm

Re: Joranalogue DELAY 1 - Split-Phase Bucket Brigade Delay Line

Post by beechemist »

Powerdwarf wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:59 am why there are words such as chorus and flanger if its all delays? reverb is also a delay, ddnt you know that? lets call everything a delay then
you don't see flanger/chorus specified on the panel very frequently in modular because they require pre-patched/hardwired modulation to achieve the effect. this is an open ended modular design, which allows you to patch a variety of effects using the delay chip which is at its core.
Powerdwarf
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 802
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:51 pm

Re: Joranalogue DELAY 1 - Split-Phase Bucket Brigade Delay Line

Post by Powerdwarf »

beechemist wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:53 am
Powerdwarf wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:59 am why there are words such as chorus and flanger if its all delays? reverb is also a delay, ddnt you know that? lets call everything a delay then
you don't see flanger/chorus specified on the panel very frequently in modular because they require pre-patched/hardwired modulation to achieve the effect. this is an open ended modular design, which allows you to patch a variety of effects using the delay chip which is at its core.
https://www.ericasynths.lv/shop/discont ... ayflanger/

thats a really sincere and best title for a delay which can mainly achieve flanger without going into whine territory
beechemist
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:13 pm

Re: Joranalogue DELAY 1 - Split-Phase Bucket Brigade Delay Line

Post by beechemist »

I suppose doepfer label the bbd time on their panels too, but it seems like a minor gripe given that the alternative product you want is available elsewhere. you even say you owned it once.
Powerdwarf
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 802
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:51 pm

Re: Joranalogue DELAY 1 - Split-Phase Bucket Brigade Delay Line

Post by Powerdwarf »

beechemist wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:07 pm I suppose doepfer label the bbd time on their panels too, but it seems like a minor gripe given that the alternative product you want is available elsewhere. you even say you owned it once.
if you mean sarajewo i did. and as i said i ddnt like the divisions. maybe its my fault but its funny how everybody is producing short delays and there is only one with long times. And it is called “elite” bbd delay because its long as if it would be a miracle to make long bbd delay. lol, sorry but thats just funny. there are long bbd delays in pedal world, lots of. how eurorack is different, idk.

Ok sorry i really have to stop my involvement here because i feel its offtopic as, again, this “delay” is going to different direction. I realise that its cool product, just that title smeared my face because im anticipating longer times from smth thats called “delay”. otherwise as i said we can call reverbs delay but titles have their meanings somehow
beechemist
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:13 pm

Re: Joranalogue DELAY 1 - Split-Phase Bucket Brigade Delay Line

Post by beechemist »

check out the xaoc again for sure. the default mode of sarajewo is 'free' - it's continuously variable by hand and also by CV. the divisions only come in to play if you externally clock it.
Powerdwarf
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 802
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:51 pm

Re: Joranalogue DELAY 1 - Split-Phase Bucket Brigade Delay Line

Post by Powerdwarf »

beechemist wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:23 pm check out the xaoc again for sure. the default mode of sarajewo is 'free' - it's continuously variable by hand and also by CV. the divisions only come in to play if you externally clock it.
i will, thnx for pointing that out. i had it for few days idk how i missed that then its a gamechanger.

and yeah sorry for criticizing titles and words. thats seems like a great module from Joranalogue. peace
User avatar
boom blip
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 373
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 3:23 pm
Location: Asheville, NC

Re: Joranalogue DELAY 1 - Split-Phase Bucket Brigade Delay Line

Post by boom blip »

drowld wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:40 am Omg such a sick delay. what are the delay times achievable ?
Looks like 1 to 50ms, unless I'm misreading, mostly for physical modeling or various effects (phasing and such) not traditional "delay", kinda like the Mungo D0
Post Reply

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”