ES-5 double trouble

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

gallafry
Learning to Wiggle

ES-5 double trouble

Post by gallafry »

Hi
I am rather new to this and have a slight issue with my ES-5. Using latest version Silent Way and Ableton Live 10 either on Windows 10 or MacOs Catalina and driven by either an ES3-mk4 or an ES-9 I seem to need double the value to drive it than I would expect. I have ES-5 on channel 1, a gate expander on 2 and an MIDI expander on 3. There is a consistent pattern of activation. If I send a 1 (or base note using MIDI) the 8th gate illuminates on the channel above (ie send to ES-5 get gate 8 on EXS-GT8, send to the EXS-GT8 the either 8th MIDI stream lights). I f I send a 2 the first gate is activated and thereafter I need double the number all the time. As a result, the final gate (which would require 512) won't light (except as described above). It's not the end of the world. Ultimately I can access everything except the 8th gate on the ES-5 itself but it would be nice to get it working. As an aside I have a 4ms 40 power supply and I get this problem when everything else is disconnected. Thanks!
gran_syth
Common Wiggler

Re: ES-5 double trouble

Post by gran_syth »

Could this be an issue with your samplerate setting? Are you on either 44.1 or 48kHz?
andybizarre
Veteran Wiggler

Post by andybizarre »

Try to provide a constant gate to output 1 of your ES5 while the audio engine is running. Or try the workaround mentioned in this thread: https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=158305
gallafry
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gallafry »

Thanks gran_syth and andybizarre. I am using 48kHz as at least earlier versions of the MIDI expander seemed to prefer this from what I understand. I will try the andybizarre's ideas later today and report back. (I am using the MIDI version of SW5 controller. Not sure if that makes a difference.) Thanks again
andybizarre
Veteran Wiggler

Post by andybizarre »

There is an issue about Ableton's audio engine being not bit-perfect at lowest volumes. The special encoding of the ES5 audio stream needs exactly that. While I was using Ableton, I abused the said gate on output 1 to keep the audiostream and therefore the proper encoding "alive" and got consisting results. With Bitwig I never had those problems. This also affects the MIDI expander, as it's decoded from the audio stream as well.
gallafry
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gallafry »

Thanks so much. I tried providing the constant gate to output 1 with the audio engine running without joy. But I will try and work around and also see how it works in Bitwig. (Have been waiting for an excuse to get the full version!)
gallafry
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gallafry »

Thanks again. I have tried the Ableton work around that Os suggested that you kindly pointed me to (https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=158305) with no joy and with Bitwig I am getting a real mash up of lights coming on similar to that I observed with VCV Rack (although I understand there are some problems with the arithmetic there). I will tinker a bit more and see if I can borrow another ES-5 just to check there isn't a hardware problem.
andybizarre
Veteran Wiggler

Post by andybizarre »

Odd. Did you check the basics (Silent Way on stereo channel, pan centered, all DAW & DSP channels at unity) ? Did you rule out grounding issues of your case(s)?

Also, you could asks the mods to move this thread to the Expert Sleepers subforum. Os and others might chime in. Additionally, could you provide screenshots of your DAW, interface settings and Silent Way?
gallafry
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gallafry »

Thanks again and sorry for slow reply!
I wondered about ground loops. I can't hear any hum and the problem persists with the laptop on battery and the power pack for the modular being the only thing plugged in. May be there's noise on the PSU but short of swapping it around I am not sure what else to do. I don't have a scope to look at it.
I have attached a pdf with a couple of screen shots. The first is the SW setting (channel 1 output = 1) with an inset showing that it's the 8th LED on the ESX-8GT which is on channel 2 that is lighting up. With channel 1 output = 2 (not shown) the first LED on the ES-5 lights. The second shot shows the audio settings on Ableton with an inset of the connections between the ES-9 and ES-5. Not sure that helps. I will try and move to the ES subforum (I hadn't appreciated it existed so something else I have learned, thanks!).
es5_mw.pdf
pics of ES5 and Ableton Live / SW ES5 controller
(2.02 MiB) Downloaded 6 times
gallafry
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gallafry »

A bit of an update. Exactly the same problem with a Mac Book Pro and using Silent Way AU version so not a specific VST issue. Also (excitingly!) seems to work perfectly from within VCV Rack 2. So not an ES5 problem.
gallafry
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gallafry »

Further update in case anyone else ever has this challenge. No problems running ES-5 controller from within Reaper. So I must have something odd going on with Live but curiously consistent between two laptops with two OS's
DJMaytag
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag »

It sounds like you have a level problem in Ableton. You’re off by one bit, which means there’s a level difference of up to 6dB of audio signal going out to the ES-5. It sounds like it’s definitely a setting in Ableton.
DJMaytag IG | DJMaytag Reverb | Madisynths IG | Madisynths Reverb |

If you talk about improper grounding 3 times, Graham Hinton appears!” -djs
DJMaytag
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag »

Do you have the SPAN plugin by Voxengo, by chance?

gallafry
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gallafry »

Thanks, I hadn't come across SPAN. Is there a way I can use it to test for the level problem? I will also see if I can find some setting(s) in Ableton to tweak to resolve the problem. It would certainly be helpful to have the option to use Live.
DJMaytag
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag »

It can be useful to determine what frequencies and levels the plugins are operating at. It’s a hell of a lot easier to determine what’s going on with the ES-5 Controller plugins than the ESX-CV combiners.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”