Superbooth 2022 - Discussion / Empty Wallets

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Superbooth 2022 - Discussion / Empty Wallets

Post by Zymos »

klstay wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:20 am Still waiting for Joranalogue news; anyone seen or have anything yet?

I have seen a few interesting things, but nothing that will pry open my wallet yet. Timing was terrible for me this year though. Once my number comes up for a SIG I am under a self imposed "lockdown" with the system. (Very happy with all the current modules and need to build up experience/muscle memory with a number of them)

As regards influencers/reviewers I would like to ALWAYS see a disclaimer right at the start clearly stating EXACTLY and SPECIFICALLY what (if anything) they are getting from the manufacturer. The phrase "thanks to so and so for sponsoring this video" is NOT enough IMHO.
2 new Jornalogue modules. They have their own threads so you don’t need to wade through this cesspool.

https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewto ... oranalogue

https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=261918
Maybe you’d like to buy some of these nice used modules?

viewtopic.php?p=3730210&hilit=Lotsa#p3730210
dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 »

Val wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:23 am also i've realized that there will be no news from mannequins, guess we'll still have to pay complex oscillator price range for a mangrove?
there was, it was just a series of clicks and bursts of a 425 Hz tone broadcast over shortwave radio in the middle of the mojave under a half crescent moon

re SB22, polyend play is really impressive. i very much dislike elektron's workflow, so a capable groovebox is something i've always wanted to try again
Last edited by dooj88 on Fri May 13, 2022 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
SunSpots
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SunSpots »

*non-committed buyer response incoming*

SOMA's new instrument demo sounded great. I'd likely never buy it, but it seems like a cool instrument to put on your lap and play impromtu for your household. kinda same reason i would want a hang-drum

Black Mantis +++ finally! Probably my next case

Huang all-in-one FX unit - very cool - i'm a hard sell on FX units. let's be real. Ever since I got the ES-9 I kinda have all the FX I could ever imagine needing in the PC... but yeah... for a small case it's a neat idea probably. I'm not a small case dude -yet. I'm still more of a "give me sonic sound-painting options to make fresh sounds, sample them, then use some other device to actually play music dude". ps: community toxicity = bad vibes. take a sedative, go do something else.

Polyend Play - umm... yeah I'm super fanboi for Polyend. the MPC one and I haven't been talking for awhile, so I am thinking i'll sell it off and get this for all those samples i make with the modular. I think Piotr (sp?) is really learning what his market wants. It looked way more fleshed out than his other devices, but i need to see more. i really need to see more, because as much of a fanboi, I am, I'm also weary of ... let's say unfinished ideas from Polyend.

Euro Buchla, Euro serge... yes please. both. I'd like a system of both. I mean hell why not just fill my wall up with more 1 manufacturer systems!

sad note... i missed the last natural gate release. someone comfort me. rabid elephants email filter now installed so it never gets promo folderd again.
WTB: rabid elephants natural gate, Frap Tools Brenso, Akemie's Castle, Qu-Bit Data Bender
SOPiiAC
Common Wiggler

Post by SOPiiAC »

A little sad we haven't got any Wiretap news from U-he. I've been waiting on that module.
Transistor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Transistor »

SOPiiAC wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:19 am A little sad we haven't got any Wiretap news from U-he. I've been waiting on that module.
+1, main thing I am scanning the news for!
ee_
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ee_ »

Stice wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:36 am As noted above, it doesn’t slew, which is an important distinction.
Can you elaborate on that? I don’t quite follow. What makes the Maths a slew at core but the Anima and PEG not a slew at core?
Leonidove
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Leonidove »

A new pitch tracker, seems interesting... Are there wigglers who tested it at the superbooth ?
InteBra
Common Wiggler

Post by InteBra »

SunSpots wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:15 am sad note... i missed the last natural gate release. someone comfort me. rabid elephants email filter now installed so it never gets promo folderd again.
Comfort:
It's friday. I'm drinking beer. Had Natural gate in my rack. Sold the whole rack 2-3 years ago. Started again recently. Won't buy NG again. Why? There are so many modules that do so many things. Lot's of fun to be had anyways. Also I have slight tinnitus –- most stuff sounds similar in my ears.

I'm waiting for more news about Step 8. And release times for more TipTop-Buchla stuff.
Leonidove
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Leonidove »

And a matrix mixer by Herbs and Stones which seems really interesting ! (They don't seem to be at the Superbooth though !)
merlatte
Common Wiggler

Post by merlatte »

The new tape delay + other stuff from Finegear seems interesting, but no sounds as it’s not quite ready. CV over the tape echo looks cool and the exposed tape gives me Aaron Dilloway vibes, but the format might be a little bulky?

bayrumblues
Common Wiggler

Post by bayrumblues »

Dragonaut wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:54 am
DukeOfPrunes wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:06 am
Dragonaut wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:03 am I think there’s a pretty big difference between boycotting Behringer and Andrew Huang but maybe I’m not reading enough into it. As far as vain, self involved youtubers go Andrew Huang seems pretty benign to me. He can be a little annoying and annoyingly Canadian but other than that he seems like a pretty standup dude.
What do you mean by "annoyingly Canadian"? Being Canadian myself, I would like to know how I might be annoying.
Canadians can sometimes seem unrealistically altruistic and convivial to their thorny American counterparts. Since life is pain all that positivity can be annoying.
You've mixed up "Canadians" with "People from Ontario".
stripou
Common Wiggler

Post by stripou »

I’m at Superbooth.
Ghost module sounds good but yeah too cramped.
I don’t understand the point of the Alm asq1 appart from the choice key buttons.
Not 3u but the polyend play is a Monster of playability and efficiency.
The schreibmaschine stand with their weird logic modules was my favorite one.
Dark Barn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Dark Barn »

ee_ wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:36 am
Stice wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:36 am As noted above, it doesn’t slew, which is an important distinction.
Can you elaborate on that? I don’t quite follow. What makes the Maths a slew at core but the Anima and PEG not a slew at core?
The fact that it can slew, and the others can not.
I’ve been searchin’ for the dolphins in the sea

https://weakinreview.org
Val
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Val »

ee_ wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:36 am [quote=Stice post_id=3754915 time=<a href="tel:1652449006">1652449006</a> user_id=57609]
As noted above, it doesn’t slew, which is an important distinction.
[/quote]

Well maths « follow » the voltage you sent it
Anima will generate an envelope when a trigger / gate is recieved

(Funny thing is that the process behind it could be basically the same …)
Befaco Rampage is similar to Maths. And Falistri too. But I dislike the panel. Cluttered like instruo.
But it’s so full of functions (lol) yes.
WTB: DIY kits (panel+pcb): NTO, DUSG, TWS+

check out my rac
Stice
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Stice »

Slew-limiter based function generators operate by slowing down the rate of change (slew rate) in voltage. So if applied to pitch CV, you get glide or portamento as the change from pitch to pitch is slowed down. Similarly, you can 'slow down' eg a gate and get an envelope shape out of it. Slew limiters are useful in all sorts of ways.

Anima, PEG etc don't do that - they use the sharp voltage jump of a trigger or gate to generate an envelope shape - but if you put a pitch CV in you wouldn't get portamento.

For a while I was all about slew-limiter function generators, and still use them, but I find that they have very very wide ranging rise/fall times that make for touchy controls. So I like to have some non-slew EGs as well.

And to keep it on-topic, Anima is a great one, and the new version looks good! Ritual build good things and have good support should it be needed.
Turn on. Plug in. Slew down.
stripou
Common Wiggler

Post by stripou »

780D4A64-97FA-4A00-B0F0-666F2A2C21F9.jpeg
stripou wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:14 am The schreibmaschine stand with their weird logic modules was my favorite one.
cinnatoastg
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cinnatoastg »

Misha looks really interesting.

ee_
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ee_ »

Stice wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:31 am Slew-limiter based function generators operate by slowing down the rate of change (slew rate) in voltage. So if applied to pitch CV, you get glide or portamento as the change from pitch to pitch is slowed down. Similarly, you can 'slow down' eg a gate and get an envelope shape out of it. Slew limiters are useful in all sorts of ways.

Anima, PEG etc don't do that - they use the sharp voltage jump of a trigger or gate to generate an envelope shape - but if you put a pitch CV in you wouldn't get portamento.

For a while I was all about slew-limiter function generators, and still use them, but I find that they have very very wide ranging rise/fall times that make for touchy controls. So I like to have some non-slew EGs as well.
Thank you! Helpful. Unlike:
Dark Barn wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:16 am The fact that it can slew, and the others can not.
🙄
SOPiiAC
Common Wiggler

Post by SOPiiAC »

stripou wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:14 am I’m at Superbooth.
Ghost module sounds good but yeah too cramped.
I don’t understand the point of the Alm asq1 appart from the choice key buttons.
Not 3u but the polyend play is a Monster of playability and efficiency.
The schreibmaschine stand with their weird logic modules was my favorite one.
Any chance you can stop by U-he and ask them the status of the Wiretap module? :drinking:
exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper »

Still haven’t seen any videos of the 4MS modules, Klavis, and I really wanted to see more about the ALM mixer modules. I saw a pic but I can’t find it anymore. Also want to hear more about the Shakmat filter/lpg module. And a video of Ghost.
______________________________________________________________________________________________

FT/S US only: Palette 62, Traktor S2, FT Only: DIGITONE
BlinkyLights
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights »

dooj88 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:07 am
Val wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:23 am also i've realized that there will be no news from mannequins, guess we'll still have to pay complex oscillator price range for a mangrove?
there was, it was just a series of clicks and bursts of a 425 Hz tone broadcast over shortwave radio in the middle of the mojave under a half crescent moon
(slow clap)
James_S
Ultra Wiggler

Post by James_S »

Checked in to check out people commenting on how annoying Andrew Huang is and disappointed to see it's full of Superbooth posts.

(Joke; don't come at me now).

Still hoping some videos or news appears regarding the Three Body. Does anybody know if the Verbos Poly Envelope can also be a sound source (just to fully cap off the Just Friends comparisons)?
Whatisvalis
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Whatisvalis »

merlatte wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:02 am The new tape delay + other stuff from Finegear seems interesting, but no sounds as it’s not quite ready. CV over the tape echo looks cool and the exposed tape gives me Aaron Dilloway vibes, but the format might be a little bulky?

That modmix looks cool - shame it's probably a long way off.
exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper »

dooj88 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:07 am
Ah, so they've partnered with Boards of Canada's PR machine.
______________________________________________________________________________________________

FT/S US only: Palette 62, Traktor S2, FT Only: DIGITONE
SOPiiAC
Common Wiggler

Post by SOPiiAC »

exper wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:10 am Still haven’t seen any videos of the 4MS modules, Klavis, and I really wanted to see more about the ALM mixer modules. I saw a pic but I can’t find it anymore. Also want to hear more about the Shakmat filter/lpg module. And a video of Ghost.
Here's 4MS stuff
https://youtu.be/LgpuFIlQ10c

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”