Animal Factory Amplification

New Hosted Sub-Forum. Check it out here:
Not exactly a new manufacturer but new to us. Check out their pedal and eurorack product and extend them a welcome all the way to Mumbai!

Sputnik Variable Waveform Generator

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, Kent, Joe., luketeaford

nios
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Sputnik Variable Waveform Generator

Post by nios »

:cat2:
Sounds fantastic. Just looking at it, I was expecting it to have more timbres in it than garden-variety analog oscs but it's even more capable than meets the eye as the sine/triangle behavior under negative CV is really damn cool. Layout is well-designed, albeit 18hp is a bit fat.. but considering it has good potential as a modulator, these ergonomics amenable to fine-tuning are probably worth it. Really really nice to see at least some form of continuation of Sputnik, SSF's absolutely on fire.
Cybananna
Funniest Guy

Post by Cybananna »

I’ll know soon. Mine shipped today
Noisteria Emission at Bandcamp

WTB: circuit abbey ccbo
Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu »

Jaw drops.

Maybe I can go back and try to complete my half-baked collection of Sputnik modules? I didn't see this coming - where are they available?
matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech »

In stock with me today sir! (and I'm shipping to Oz again by the way)

...and agreed, this thing looks & sounds incredible. It's like a mashup of 2 of my favourite oscillators - the Livewire AFG (saw & pulse animation) and the Pittsburgh Primary Oscillator (the ability to have multiple "lanes" of different waveshaping techniques applied to different wave outputs....which allows for some awesome layering that belies its status as a "single oscillator") Impressive stuff!
clusterchord
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by clusterchord »

sounds lovely. like the feature set, the classic Sputnik looks, and especially the user interface with classic switches, and long throw sliders.

i feel DivKid tapped into most interesting distinction for me, when setting up that stereo patch: having four waveform outputs, but each with its unique cv controlled parameter, allows for creating an almost full decoupled. wide stereo signal, yet still phase and pitch coherent, since its coming from a single core. you could do this with other single oscs, but would need help of external modules to pull it off in the same manner.

really like the rich sound of pwm, especially with the center option selected, quite reminiscent of vintage roland. sync sounds spectacularly sharp. and sub osc output (continuing the tradition from Sputnik 258-ish osc) is a great addition. also interesting colors from self patching.

all in all, while advertised as based on buchla triangle core design, i hear quite a lot of features or sonic traits that come from classic east coast world. ... the sub osc, the screamy oscillator sync, the doubled saws, and that gorgeous PWM. well, Nick Batt will be happy with this one..

Explorer 5117 · Space Case 2022 · System 100 · SH101 · SH2 · SEM · mini · Wave 2 · OB-Xa · Prophet 5 · etc

WTB: Tokyo Gate · Kotelnikov · Rene2 · Bionic Lester mk1 · CMS 1047 · Catalyst/RedPanel 158
matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech »

seconded - the stereo patch early on in the video made me suddenly realise that all the outputs were affected by the various sliders/cv inputs independently, which is awesome!
MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine »

Ordered. This will replace my 'retired' Malekko Richter VCO II.
everydaycurry
Ultra Wiggler

Post by everydaycurry »

This looks like a lot of fun but I can't imagine what I'd replace with one.
transistorresistor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by transistorresistor »

matttech wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:31 am seconded - the stereo patch early on in the video made me suddenly realise that all the outputs were affected by the various sliders/cv inputs independently, which is awesome!
the pittsburgh primary oscillator is somewhat similar in this regard.
studioutopia
Ultra Wiggler

Post by studioutopia »

transistorresistor wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:29 am
matttech wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:31 am seconded - the stereo patch early on in the video made me suddenly realise that all the outputs were affected by the various sliders/cv inputs independently, which is awesome!
the pittsburgh primary oscillator is somewhat similar in this regard.
I totally got the same vibe while watching Ben's video.
MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine »

everydaycurry wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:19 pm This looks like a lot of fun but I can't imagine what I'd replace with one.
Well, in my case the Wiard kind of died. and this has some similar facilities.

So many good choices.

BTW - sounds really good. Got it last Friday. Now I have a BARP VCO to rack that wasn't due for a couple of months.

When it rains, it pours.
MrV63
Common Wiggler

Post by MrV63 »

Is there any more demos of this thing? I couldn't find any. It sounds interesting so far but would love to hear even more!
tdallas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tdallas »

Please excuse me if this is a stupid question, but who is the manufacturer of this very fine module? Is this a SSF build? Or is this from http://sputnik-modular.com/ like the Spectral Processor? Maybe I am blind but I can‘t find it on both sides :hmm:
analogbrainsurgeon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by analogbrainsurgeon »

tdallas wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:52 pm Please excuse me if this is a stupid question, but who is the manufacturer of this very fine module? Is this a SSF build? Or is this from http://sputnik-modular.com/ like the Spectral Processor? Maybe I am blind but I can‘t find it on both sides :hmm:
Andrew M or SSF is manufacturing the Sputnik modules now. I believe the Spectral Processor was his first and VWG is his second module as a contractor for Sputnik Modular, which I believe Roman sold to Analog Haven.
jzwoopwoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jzwoopwoop »

analogbrainsurgeon wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:58 pm
tdallas wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:52 pm Please excuse me if this is a stupid question, but who is the manufacturer of this very fine module? Is this a SSF build? Or is this from http://sputnik-modular.com/ like the Spectral Processor? Maybe I am blind but I can‘t find it on both sides :hmm:
Andrew M or SSF is manufacturing the Sputnik modules now. I believe the Spectral Processor was his first and VWG is his second module as a contractor for Sputnik Modular, which I believe Roman sold to Analog Haven.
You can also read more in this thread where Andrew has been relatively active lately in describing his activity for and relationship with the Sputnik brand: viewtopic.php?t=245886&hilit=sputnik&start=225
tdallas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tdallas »

Ah, thank you very much! :tu:
analogbrainsurgeon
Wiggling with Experience

analogPedagog wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:32 pm Available today

What is the power draw for VWG? I can't find anything on any of the sites or in any of the ads or on the box. Making some shifts and I need to make sure I have enough power for the new configuration.
analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog »

analogbrainsurgeon wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:27 pm

What is the power draw for VWG? I can't find anything on any of the sites or in any of the ads or on the box. Making some shifts and I need to make sure I have enough power for the new configuration.
+/- 110mA
analogbrainsurgeon
Wiggling with Experience

analogPedagog wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:30 pm
analogbrainsurgeon wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:27 pm

+/- 110mA
Awesome, thank you so much! 😊👍
texturerama
Veteran Wiggler

Post by texturerama »

a conversation between the analog pedagogue and the analog brain surgeon sounds like a set up for a terrible joke :hihi:
analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog »

texturerama wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:42 pm a conversation between the analog pedagogue and the analog brain surgeon sounds like a set up for a terrible joke :hihi:
Spotlight’s on you, lets hear one.
texturerama
Veteran Wiggler

Post by texturerama »

analogPedagog wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:16 pm
texturerama wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:42 pm a conversation between the analog pedagogue and the analog brain surgeon sounds like a set up for a terrible joke :hihi:
What did the analogue pedagogue say to the analog brain surgeon?
analogPedagog wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:30 pm +/- 110mA
:spin: :lolspew: :hihi: :sstorm:
analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog »

texturerama wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:22 pm
analogPedagog wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:16 pm
What did the analogue pedagogue say to the analog brain surgeon?
analogPedagog wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:30 pm +/- 110mA
:spin: :lolspew: :hihi: :sstorm:
bravo
clusterchord
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by clusterchord »

will these be coming to Schneider's, like Spectral Processor did ?

Explorer 5117 · Space Case 2022 · System 100 · SH101 · SH2 · SEM · mini · Wave 2 · OB-Xa · Prophet 5 · etc

WTB: Tokyo Gate · Kotelnikov · Rene2 · Bionic Lester mk1 · CMS 1047 · Catalyst/RedPanel 158

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”