Announcing: Synthesizers.com Manufacturer Sub-Forum

Please check out the new sub-forum by following the link above. It is nice to have another manufacturer onboard and opening another direct communication line to potential and existing customers

Your experience with Thonk Trimmer Toppers for tightly spaced tiny knobs.

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
Headlands
Veteran Wiggler

Your experience with Thonk Trimmer Toppers for tightly spaced tiny knobs.

Post by Headlands »

I have a Bear Matrix Mixer and a set of Frap Tools SC modules, both of which have the tall tiny knobs that are a too thin and non-grippy for my taste. I've been looking at Thonk Toppers for them and want to hear from people who use them in tight knob situations like those two modules, to see if there's enough room and how you like them. I have very small fingers, FYI. It seems the only place to get them is from Thonk in the UK, and I'm in the States so would like to at least try to know before I order a bunch of them.

Spacing on the modules I'm talking about:

Bear Matrix: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/bearmodules-matrix-mixer
Frap Tools SC: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/frap-tool ... eo-channel
"Is that the site with the weird cats on it?"

Current setup (with external Moog Matriarch, MN Strega, and ES Black Sequencer): https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1991652
Kosmikos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Your experience with Thonk Trimmer Toppers for tightly spaced tiny knobs.

Post by Kosmikos »

I have them on all my Erica Synths Pico modules, and they are really good there. It doesn’t get rid of the trimmer’s wobbliness, but it makes the module more ergonomic.

I then bought another bunch to put on MI Stages, and that didn’t work so well. It made the access too difficult and I decided to remove them.

Since they are quite easy to fit and remove, I’d suggest you get a few and try them on your two modules see if it works for you. Looking at the pictures, I suspect it might make things a bit too busy.

For reference, I’ve added some on Junction and I think it also works well in this case with the knob spacing, any smaller and it might not be so good:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/acid-rain ... y-junction

As you can see, it looks like a slightly bigger spacing than on your two modules.
5A146B92-3DF4-4870-8B4B-213E3B4618D6.jpeg
Kosmikos’ tracks on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-254876270
Headlands
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Headlands »

Kosmikos wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:09 am I have them on all my Erica Synths Pico modules, and they are really good there. It doesn’t get rid of the trimmer’s wobbliness, but it makes the module more ergonomic.

I then bought another bunch to put on MI Stages, and that didn’t work so well. It made the access too difficult and I decided to remove them.

Since they are quite easy to fit and remove, I’d suggest you get a few and try them on your two modules see if it works for you. Looking at the pictures, I suspect it might make things a bit too busy.

For reference, I’ve added some on Junction and I think it also works well in this case with the knob spacing, any smaller and it might not be so good:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/acid-rain ... y-junction

As you can see, it looks like a slightly bigger spacing than on your two modules.

5A146B92-3DF4-4870-8B4B-213E3B4618D6.jpeg
Thank you so much -- really helps to see it visually. I see our point, though again I do have very small fingers. I wish there were a place in the U.S. that sold them so I could try a few. Anyone in the L.A. area want to lend me a couple for a day? :smile:

Current setup (with external Moog Matriarch, MN Strega, and ES Black Sequencer): https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1991652
skysaw
Common Wiggler

Post by skysaw »

I bought a bunch in several colors awhile back, and I like them everywhere I've put them.

I'm in the US, and they arrived from Thonk fairly quickly. It's not a big expense, so just try a few and see how you like them. I'm about to get some more to complete my goofy multi-colored look.
Jamie Kowalski

My "Alien Sewing Machine Music" on YouTube
malnourish
Common Wiggler

Post by malnourish »

I put them on literally every small trimmer pot in my system. Not only does it make for easier gripping/wiggling, it looks significantly better imo. On tight modules they can be difficult but I've tried to arrange modules/blanks in such a way I've always got access if i need it. Right angle cables can sometimes help provide clearance to access knob in dense areas also.
ŘłB23³
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ŘłB23³ »

Yeah same as above w me, they definitely work the way they are supposed to, the various colors though are where it's at for me, not so much for aesthetics, but for function identifications. Although they can pretty up a boring looking module for sure
Bignorthumbrian
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bignorthumbrian »

They work wonderfully on my MI modules.
Attachments
1453B0AE-789C-457E-84C7-7D2ACF1FCE75.jpeg
here hare here!
Headlands
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Headlands »

Ok y'all convinced me. Just bought 34 for a bunch of modules.

chriszanf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by chriszanf »

Headlands wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:09 am I have very small fingers, FYI. It seems the only place to get them is from Thonk in the UK, and I'm in the States so would like to at least try to know before I order a bunch of them.
I'm the opposite in that I have fat fingers so got some for the 2HP Verb that sits with a Pico DSP. Definitely makes it easier to adjust the knobs but its added to with smart module placement.

I would love to find some that fit the Queen of Pentacles small pots for easier live adjustment!
mjlong
Common Wiggler

Post by mjlong »

Sounds like you’re already sold, but just wanted to chime in to say that a) I’ve used them on several modules and thought they improved ergonomics in every instance and b) Thonk is an excellent vendor and worth supporting in my opinion.
studioutopia
Ultra Wiggler

Post by studioutopia »

I had the Thonk trimmer toppers on my Frap CGM system when I had it. They were amazing. Much more tactile.
CGM with Thonk.jpg
Headlands
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Headlands »

studioutopia wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:07 pm I had the Thonk trimmer toppers on my Frap CGM system when I had it. They were amazing. Much more tactile.

CGM with Thonk.jpg
Oh wow, that looks great. Thanks for the inspiration color-wise.

skysaw
Common Wiggler

Post by skysaw »

I love using several different colors on different modules, and not just for the fun look. After having the colors for awhile, it's gotten easier to quickly put my hands on just the knobs I need while playing.
Jamie Kowalski

studioutopia
Ultra Wiggler

Post by studioutopia »

skysaw wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:28 am I love using several different colors on different modules, and not just for the fun look. After having the colors for awhile, it's gotten easier to quickly put my hands on just the knobs I need while playing.
totally agree. I use a combination of Befaco Bananuts and the Thonk trimmer toppers to create a visual reference of function/normalization - I rarely read the labelling on my jacks anymore - the colour-coding becomes imprinted in memory.
The only modules I haven't converted are Instruō, because the aesthetic is so good imho... but I did add white trimmer caps to every trimmer on my Instruō modules, which matches the Selco knobs.

One point on the Thonk Trimmer Toppers - they make it easier to turn the trimmer subtly with just finger tips to the upper knurled edges of the cap, something very difficult to do with bare trimmers.
robotfunk
Ultra Wiggler

Post by robotfunk »

Bignorthumbrian wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:12 pm They work wonderfully on my MI modules.
I was thinking of putting them on mine, but I'm worried about the already crowded ones on the Beads, do you still have enough space to play with the knobs? I have big fingers.
mhtones
Dreams in CV

Post by mhtones »

I really like the Thonk trimmer toppers and have them throughout my system. However, I did not add them to the modules that were really tight (e.g. Argos Bleak). I don’t have MI Beads, but those trimmers look awfully close already.

If you have enough room between trimmers or only need 1 or 2 on a module, then I’d say it’s a no brainer. Definitely improved the user experience for me!

Quick shipping from Thonk; got to me in California incredibly fast. I’ll order more as soon as I run out.
FS (US): Livewire Frequensteiner & Dalek Modulator
skysaw
Common Wiggler

Post by skysaw »

Beads and Stages are my two tightest knob squeezes, but I don't have a problem at all with the caps, even with my big fingers.
Jamie Kowalski

tokidoki
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tokidoki »

Installed 132 in our system. These knobs are a great improvement.

knobism coloratur - 003.jpg
IMG_4797 mod 10 b.jpg
IMG_4797 mod 10 b.jpg (51.85 KiB) Viewed 646 times
IMG_5279  mod001.jpg
Last edited by tokidoki on Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lux A Turner
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Lux A Turner »

skysaw wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:34 pm Beads and Stages are my two tightest knob squeezes, but I don't have a problem at all with the caps, even with my big fingers.
Stages and big fingers here, too, with no problems to report.

The only 'mod' I've deployed on Thonk Trimmer Toppers, is a tiny blob of 'white-tac' inside some of them, either to...
  • Help adhesion to pot shafts which are slightly on the thin side and have poor grip, e.g. Vult Freak.
  • Allow good adhesion to other pots, without pushing the Topper down to the point where it becomes hard to remove without considerable force, e.g. Stages.

My Soundcloud - - - - - My Bandcamp - - - - - My Freesound - - - - - My Eurorack
jsleeio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jsleeio »

I have some and have installed them on some modules, but I would much prefer the modules were just bigger and used quality non-wobbly pots that are mechanically attached to the front panel

you know, like Doepfer
Zap him again! ZAP THE SONOFABITCH AGAIN!
Bignorthumbrian
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bignorthumbrian »

robotfunk wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:36 pm
Bignorthumbrian wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:12 pm They work wonderfully on my MI modules.
I was thinking of putting them on mine, but I'm worried about the already crowded ones on the Beads, do you still have enough space to play with the knobs? I have big fingers.
Space is a bit tight on Veils, otherwise fine on all other modules. I don’t have big big hands.
here hare here!
FletchNYC
Veteran Wiggler

Post by FletchNYC »

Headlands wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:09 am I have a Bear Matrix Mixer and a set of Frap Tools SC modules, both of which have the tall tiny knobs that are a too thin and non-grippy for my taste. I've been looking at Thonk Toppers for them and want to hear from people who use them in tight knob situations like those two modules, to see if there's enough room and how you like them. I have very small fingers, FYI. It seems the only place to get them is from Thonk in the UK, and I'm in the States so would like to at least try to know before I order a bunch of them.

Spacing on the modules I'm talking about:

Bear Matrix: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/bearmodules-matrix-mixer
Frap Tools SC: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/frap-tool ... eo-channel
Is the bear matrix mixer dc coupled?
Dadodetres
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Dadodetres »

For installation is just "push them in" ?
skysaw
Common Wiggler

Post by skysaw »

Dadodetres wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:30 am For installation is just "push them in" ?
Yup :party:
Jamie Kowalski

phantomlimbic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by phantomlimbic »

My DFAM makes me feel like I need to have some skeksis-esque finger accoutrements to adjust most of the knobs, so it's going to be a glorious day when I nab the Thonk prosthetics (for the DFAM, not my fingers)

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”