Announcing: Synthesizers.com Manufacturer Sub-Forum

Please check out the new sub-forum by following the link above. It is nice to have another manufacturer onboard and opening another direct communication line to potential and existing customers

New Vector synthesis module from RYK Modular

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
Post Reply
User avatar
ryk
Common Wiggler
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 3:13 pm
Contact:

Re: New Vector synthesis module from RYK Modular

Post by ryk »

OHEXOH wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:31 am
ryk wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:24 am PS the joysticks are the same tyoe as the ones used in XBOX game controllers, so should be fairly child-proof !
Really? I have to agree if feels very fragile and mine when moving out from the ‘A’ side has a tendency to get stuck / hit a point of friction when it won’t move without a firmer push which results in a ‘click’. It seems to then be ok for a while but it has come back. I’ve only had it since today and only got to spend a couple of hours with the module so maybe it just needs breaking in…?
Hi

Sorry to hear about the joystick being 'stucky'
Please contact the shop you bought it from for a replacement unit, or DM us on the
forum to sort out a replacement.

PS Yes, really ! it is the exact same model from the XBOX 360, but they are normally hidden by a massive plastic dome thumb lever, so they look more 'macho'.
Our joystick does not have the re-centering spring, so does feel less firm, but the mechanism is exactly the same.

ryk
...................................................
https://rykmodular.bigcartel.com/products
https://instagram.com/ryk_modular/
User avatar
OHEXOH
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 872
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:32 pm
Location: Portland
Contact:

Re: New Vector synthesis module from RYK Modular

Post by OHEXOH »

ryk wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:57 am
OHEXOH wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:31 am
ryk wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:24 am PS the joysticks are the same tyoe as the ones used in XBOX game controllers, so should be fairly child-proof !
Really? I have to agree if feels very fragile and mine when moving out from the ‘A’ side has a tendency to get stuck / hit a point of friction when it won’t move without a firmer push which results in a ‘click’. It seems to then be ok for a while but it has come back. I’ve only had it since today and only got to spend a couple of hours with the module so maybe it just needs breaking in…?
Hi

Sorry to hear about the joystick being 'stucky'
Please contact the shop you bought it from for a replacement unit, or DM us on the
forum to sort out a replacement.

PS Yes, really ! it is the exact same model from the XBOX 360, but they are normally hidden by a massive plastic dome thumb lever, so they look more 'macho'.
Our joystick does not have the re-centering spring, so does feel less firm, but the mechanism is exactly the same.

ryk
Will do - it feels like it ironed itself out - but if I keep feeling some resistance I'll DM you (the shop I got it from is out of stock already - wowsers - hot stuff indeed!)
Seance Fiction // https://ohexoh.bandcamp.com
User avatar
fastlanestranger
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri May 21, 2021 8:51 am
Location: Cathedral City CA

Re: New Vector synthesis module from RYK Modular

Post by fastlanestranger »

Once in a while I get a bit lost in the menus, but the good thing is that they're all two clicks deep at most, I think. So it's not difficult to find my way.

The sound, though....it's unlike anything I've personally ever manipulated. Just beautiful. And not hard to get beautiful, softer sounds from without the use of a filter.
User avatar
BLogic12
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4212
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:17 am
Location: Milwaukee WI

Re: New Vector synthesis module from RYK Modular

Post by BLogic12 »

fastlanestranger wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:23 pm And not hard to get beautiful, softer sounds from without the use of a filter.
the beauty of fm/additive synthesis :love:
User avatar
shellfritsch
Common Wiggler
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:57 am
Location: Pacific Northwest
Contact:

Re: New Vector synthesis module from RYK Modular

Post by shellfritsch »



really having fun with this. loving the sound.

i also experienced the joystick getting stuck in the A position at first - seems to be doing it less now.

i'm wondering if it'll be possible to have more than 4 modulation slots at some point?

for example: slot 1 is used to apply env 2 to harmonics as part of the basic fm patch. slot 2 is used to apply velocity from my midi keyboard to a timbral shift. if i use the joystick to control two other parameters (in poly mode) i now have 4 modulation inputs on the panel that are unavailable... not to mention the LFOs...

perhaps (i hope!) i'm missing something, but it seems a bit limiting with so many sources and destinations available...
Illwiggle
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 587
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:56 pm
Location: SF, CA

Re: New Vector synthesis module from RYK Modular

Post by Illwiggle »

Irresistable. Took the plunge, via Elevator Sound uk. PUMPED!
Dont forget to remember not to forget
User avatar
fastlanestranger
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri May 21, 2021 8:51 am
Location: Cathedral City CA

Re: New Vector synthesis module from RYK Modular

Post by fastlanestranger »

shellfritsch wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:44 pm

really having fun with this. loving the sound.

i also experienced the joystick getting stuck in the A position at first - seems to be doing it less now.

i'm wondering if it'll be possible to have more than 4 modulation slots at some point?

for example: slot 1 is used to apply env 2 to harmonics as part of the basic fm patch. slot 2 is used to apply velocity from my midi keyboard to a timbral shift. if i use the joystick to control two other parameters (in poly mode) i now have 4 modulation inputs on the panel that are unavailable... not to mention the LFOs...

perhaps (i hope!) i'm missing something, but it seems a bit limiting with so many sources and destinations available...
I think that depending on the mode, there are more modulation slots available...or I'm confusing things. But I believe VEC1 and VEC2 have 6 modulation slots each...I think. lol
User avatar
OHEXOH
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 872
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:32 pm
Location: Portland
Contact:

Re: New Vector synthesis module from RYK Modular

Post by OHEXOH »

On page 9 of the manual it outlines the Mod Sources & Destinations. When I scroll through the destinations the list stops at LF (Harmonic Low Pass) and doesn't include the remaining destinations (VEC / LF1 / LF2 / EV1 / EV2 / RST)?...

Any idea - I think I'm running the latest firmware (at least the one it was shipped with)
Seance Fiction // https://ohexoh.bandcamp.com
User avatar
seank
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 542
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:05 pm
Location: los angeles
Contact:

Re: New Vector synthesis module from RYK Modular

Post by seank »

change your destination (using the other knob) from A-D or whatever it says in the center of the mod page, that’s where you set it to EV
User avatar
OHEXOH
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 872
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:32 pm
Location: Portland
Contact:

Re: New Vector synthesis module from RYK Modular

Post by OHEXOH »

seank wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:04 pm change your destination (using the other knob) from A-D or whatever it says in the center of the mod page, that’s where you set it to EV
Ahhhhh got it. Thanks!
Seance Fiction // https://ohexoh.bandcamp.com
User avatar
Faastwalker
Common Wiggler
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:59 am
Location: Australia

Re: New Vector synthesis module from RYK Modular

Post by Faastwalker »

Nice demo here;

User avatar
ryk
Common Wiggler
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 3:13 pm
Contact:

Re: New Vector synthesis module from RYK Modular

Post by ryk »

shellfritsch wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:44 pm
really having fun with this. loving the sound.

i also experienced the joystick getting stuck in the A position at first - seems to be doing it less now.

i'm wondering if it'll be possible to have more than 4 modulation slots at some point?

for example: slot 1 is used to apply env 2 to harmonics as part of the basic fm patch. slot 2 is used to apply velocity from my midi keyboard to a timbral shift. if i use the joystick to control two other parameters (in poly mode) i now have 4 modulation inputs on the panel that are unavailable... not to mention the LFOs...

perhaps (i hope!) i'm missing something, but it seems a bit limiting with so many sources and destinations available...
Thanks for purchasing the module, and thanks for posting the great video !

The amount of mod slots has been mentioned by other users, and we have a beta firmware update to add more mod slots, in theory 8 mono / 6 poly is possible . . .
Hopefully we can realease this soon

ryk
...................................................
https://rykmodular.bigcartel.com/products
https://instagram.com/ryk_modular/
User avatar
Umcorps
Will patch for food
Posts: 2709
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:33 am
Location: Currently unrecognisable

Re: New Vector synthesis module from RYK Modular

Post by Umcorps »

ryk wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:20 am
The amount of mod slots has been mentioned by other users, and we have a beta firmware update to add more mod slots, in theory 8 mono / 6 poly is possible . . .
Hopefully we can realease this soon
Lovely!

4 slots in poly mode makes things pretty tight.

Been playing with multitimbral midi mode. Which works really well for me.

User avatar
ryk
Common Wiggler
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 3:13 pm
Contact:

Re: New Vector synthesis module from RYK Modular

Post by ryk »

Umcorps wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:33 am
ryk wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:20 am
The amount of mod slots has been mentioned by other users, and we have a beta firmware update to add more mod slots, in theory 8 mono / 6 poly is possible . . .
Hopefully we can realease this soon
Lovely!

4 slots in poly mode makes things pretty tight.

Been playing with multitimbral midi mode. Which works really well for me.

WoW ! this is an amazing piece, really beautiful


ryk
...................................................
https://rykmodular.bigcartel.com/products
https://instagram.com/ryk_modular/
User avatar
Faastwalker
Common Wiggler
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:59 am
Location: Australia

Re: New Vector synthesis module from RYK Modular

Post by Faastwalker »

Downloaded the manual for a bit of a read. It's a really good manual I think. It's made me want one even more! Moved on a few modules recently to change things up a bit and make some space. Had little idea what to fill it with. Was thinking about the TipTop Buchal modules. But there's not enough space for all of those that I'd like. Soooooooooo ......... might have to Vector Wave it :woah: Just waiting for Juno UK to take stock :tu:
dvdmllr
Common Wiggler
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:17 pm

Re: New Vector synthesis module from RYK Modular

Post by dvdmllr »

Any confirmed timeline for restocks at retailers? These seem to be sold out almost everywhere now. Are we talking weeks or months? ;)

Official shop seems to still have some in stock, but it doesn't drop VAT for international orders the way other retailers do making the Vector Wave significantly more expensive.
User avatar
ryk
Common Wiggler
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 3:13 pm
Contact:

Re: New Vector synthesis module from RYK Modular

Post by ryk »

Faastwalker wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:17 pm Downloaded the manual for a bit of a read. It's a really good manual I think. It's made me want one even more! Moved on a few modules recently to change things up a bit and make some space. Had little idea what to fill it with. Was thinking about the TipTop Buchal modules. But there's not enough space for all of those that I'd like. Soooooooooo ......... might have to Vector Wave it :woah: Just waiting for Juno UK to take stock :tu:
Thanks for taking the time checking out the manual !
You can still buy from our webshop, but you will be waiting a long time for Juno, as they will not be stocking our module.
...................................................
https://rykmodular.bigcartel.com/products
https://instagram.com/ryk_modular/
User avatar
ryk
Common Wiggler
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 3:13 pm
Contact:

Re: New Vector synthesis module from RYK Modular

Post by ryk »

dvdmllr wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:42 pm Any confirmed timeline for restocks at retailers? These seem to be sold out almost everywhere now. Are we talking weeks or months? ;)

Official shop seems to still have some in stock, but it doesn't drop VAT for international orders the way other retailers do making the Vector Wave significantly more expensive.
hi

We are working hard to keep up with orders to supply shops, demand has somewhat exceeded our expectations :eek:
The 2nd run of modules is planned for the end of October, apologies it is taking a while. This is due to having to
redesign the module to keep up with the dwindling array of semiconductors that are available [ I'm sure you have heard about this
before, but it is quite a bizarre situation ]

ryk
...................................................
https://rykmodular.bigcartel.com/products
https://instagram.com/ryk_modular/
User avatar
Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 11937
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: the Terminal beach

Re: New Vector synthesis module from RYK Modular

Post by Paranormal Patroler »

Yes but the second batch won't sound as warm ;)
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.
dvdmllr
Common Wiggler
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:17 pm

Re: New Vector synthesis module from RYK Modular

Post by dvdmllr »

ryk wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:20 am
dvdmllr wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:42 pm Any confirmed timeline for restocks at retailers? These seem to be sold out almost everywhere now. Are we talking weeks or months? ;)

Official shop seems to still have some in stock, but it doesn't drop VAT for international orders the way other retailers do making the Vector Wave significantly more expensive.
hi

We are working hard to keep up with orders to supply shops, demand has somewhat exceeded our expectations :eek:
The 2nd run of modules is planned for the end of October, apologies it is taking a while. This is due to having to
redesign the module to keep up with the dwindling array of semiconductors that are available [ I'm sure you have heard about this
before, but it is quite a bizarre situation ]

ryk
Congratulations on a successful launch!

RE your shop: Is there a way for non-EU/UK customers to purchase without VAT/duty which seems to be included in the price or are you not setup to support this right now? (which I'd fully understand and happily wait for restock at Elevator Sound, Signal Sounds or Schneidersladen :lol:)
User avatar
BLogic12
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4212
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:17 am
Location: Milwaukee WI

Re: New Vector synthesis module from RYK Modular

Post by BLogic12 »

I finally tested this out with the nerdseq via midi last night.
It works perfect with vector’s multitimbral mode! The nerdseq’s midi tracks/patterns have four voice poly midi, that can be four separate midi channels in a single pattern so it’s perfect for the vector wave. Working on a live set with sequencing the bitbox micro and the vector wave from the nerdseq via midi at the heart of it- that gives me four melodic voices four sample voices using only two nerdseq tracks/patterns. Then the other channels left for sequencing other voices.
User avatar
fastlanestranger
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri May 21, 2021 8:51 am
Location: Cathedral City CA

Re: New Vector synthesis module from RYK Modular

Post by fastlanestranger »

BLogic12 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:32 am I finally tested this out with the nerdseq via midi last night.
It works perfect with vector’s multitimbral mode! The nerdseq’s midi tracks/patterns have four voice poly midi, that can be four separate midi channels in a single pattern so it’s perfect for the vector wave. Working on a live set with sequencing the bitbox micro and the vector wave from the nerdseq via midi at the heart of it- that gives me four melodic voices four sample voices using only two nerdseq tracks/patterns. Then the other channels left for sequencing other voices.
Wow. Way cool. I need to learn more about MIDI because I tried controlling multitimbral mode last night but couldn't get it sorted...so instead I used the poly mode, which sounded quite awesome.

Still being quite new to MIDI sometimes it confuses me...not a difficult task on a good day. But I'm getting it. When I've got some good time to sit down and really focus I know I'll get it figured out.
User avatar
BLogic12
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4212
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:17 am
Location: Milwaukee WI

Re: New Vector synthesis module from RYK Modular

Post by BLogic12 »

fastlanestranger wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:27 pm
BLogic12 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:32 am I finally tested this out with the nerdseq via midi last night.
It works perfect with vector’s multitimbral mode! The nerdseq’s midi tracks/patterns have four voice poly midi, that can be four separate midi channels in a single pattern so it’s perfect for the vector wave. Working on a live set with sequencing the bitbox micro and the vector wave from the nerdseq via midi at the heart of it- that gives me four melodic voices four sample voices using only two nerdseq tracks/patterns. Then the other channels left for sequencing other voices.
Wow. Way cool. I need to learn more about MIDI because I tried controlling multitimbral mode last night but couldn't get it sorted...so instead I used the poly mode, which sounded quite awesome.

Still being quite new to MIDI sometimes it confuses me...not a difficult task on a good day. But I'm getting it. When I've got some good time to sit down and really focus I know I'll get it figured out.
Right on!
With multitimbral mode you set you base midi channel for voice A and then the next midi channels respond to the following voices.
For example if you set it to midi Chan 5, then Chan 5 : voice A, Chan 6 : voice b, Chan 7 : voice c, Chan 8 : voice d
Last edited by BLogic12 on Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
BLogic12
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4212
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:17 am
Location: Milwaukee WI

Re: New Vector synthesis module from RYK Modular

Post by BLogic12 »

I do want to report one possible bug I’ve encountered a few times.
When I am on the page that lets you set up the fm operator order/algorithm setup, sometimes it won’t let me get back to the page that lets you dial in the index and set the frequency. I can do a long hold to jump to the preset frequency assignments but then when I go back it goes to that fm operator setup page still and not get back to the frequency set/level set page.
Normally just adjusting one of the knobs under the screen when on the operator setup pages brings it back to that level/frequency screen but one in a while it seems to get stuck on the operator setup page.
User avatar
daphnid
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 680
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:23 pm

Re: New Vector synthesis module from RYK Modular

Post by daphnid »

Wait does this thing only do multi timbrality via midi? I was hoping to use it as a little 4 channel drum module with Varigate.
Post Reply

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”