Announcing: Synthesizers.com Manufacturer Sub-Forum

Please check out the new sub-forum by following the link above. It is nice to have another manufacturer onboard and opening another direct communication line to potential and existing customers

New Vector synthesis module from RYK Modular

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
fastlanestranger
Veteran Wiggler

Re: New Vector synthesis module from RYK Modular

Post by fastlanestranger »

DELETED as I don't think my post belonged here in this thread
Last edited by fastlanestranger on Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stice
Ultra Wiggler

Post by stice »

I know it's not the most exciting use of this thing, but I'd love to hear this do something in the realm of dub-techno chords, if anyone wants to give it a try. I'm more excited by the vector aspect, of course, but sometimes you just need a basic chord too :D
Turn on. Plug in. S l e w d o w n.
ryk
Common Wiggler

Post by ryk »

stice wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:48 am I know it's not the most exciting use of this thing, but I'd love to hear this do something in the realm of dub-techno chords, if anyone wants to give it a try. I'm more excited by the vector aspect, of course, but sometimes you just need a basic chord too :D
https://rykmodular.bigcartel.com/products
https://instagram.com/ryk_modular/
stice
Ultra Wiggler

Post by stice »

ryk wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:18 pm
stice wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:48 am I know it's not the most exciting use of this thing, but I'd love to hear this do something in the realm of dub-techno chords, if anyone wants to give it a try. I'm more excited by the vector aspect, of course, but sometimes you just need a basic chord too :D

Ha, amazing, thank you! Ordered :)
Turn on. Plug in. S l e w d o w n.
Seaweed Sound
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Seaweed Sound »

Very nice. This is 4 note polyphonic right?
BLogic12
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BLogic12 »

Great first impressions! Wasn't to hard to get an understanding for what's going on after spending a couple hours with it experimenting.
The user interface is great and things feel good/make sense.
The key thing I've found is spending time dialing in modulation and other extremely carefully, using a lot of attenuation and dialing in offset's just right to hit sweet spots and not get too noisy.

The band pass filter is very interesting. Hard to describe but not your typical analog sounding bandpass filter, something different about the slopes it seems.

One thing I think would be an interesting firmware addition would be for the operators to go even a little lower in frequency, displaying as -1, -2 etc instead of 1 being lowest. I know lfo's can be used for fm but having lower operators could be very interesting too for some more experimental sounds.

The build quality feels great over all. The joystick itself feels kind of light/fragile... I hope it holds up over time. My kids under 4 years old playing with my modular will be the stress test! :lol:
ryk
Common Wiggler

Post by ryk »

Seaweed Sound wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:05 pm Very nice. This is 4 note polyphonic right?
thnx

The Dub demo, yes is using just 4 oscilators [ 1 x Bank ], from a possible total of 16 oscilators
ryk
Common Wiggler

Post by ryk »

BLogic12 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:46 pm Great first impressions! Wasn't to hard to get an understanding for what's going on after spending a couple hours with it experimenting.
The user interface is great and things feel good/make sense.
The key thing I've found is spending time dialing in modulation and other extremely carefully, using a lot of attenuation and dialing in offset's just right to hit sweet spots and not get too noisy.

The band pass filter is very interesting. Hard to describe but not your typical analog sounding bandpass filter, something different about the slopes it seems.

One thing I think would be an interesting firmware addition would be for the operators to go even a little lower in frequency, displaying as -1, -2 etc instead of 1 being lowest. I know lfo's can be used for fm but having lower operators could be very interesting too for some more experimental sounds.

The build quality feels great over all. The joystick itself feels kind of light/fragile... I hope it holds up over time. My kids under 4 years old playing with my modular will be the stress test! :lol:
Thanks for the review and glad you are enjoying the module !

Just to avoid any confusion, the Band Pass and Low Pass are not traditional filters in the analogue sense. they work only on the source harmonics within the selected banks. So they are best used with mainly additive style synthesis patches

Your could emulate a traditional ssetup of a quare wave with a Low Pass filter; Use the Oscillator menu to set a spread of ODD harmonics across all four banks, then use the LP filter in the Mod Slots.
But the module is not really desgined to replace or copy subtractive synthesis style

You can lower the frquencies of the oscillators below 1 to a minimum of 0.01 harmonic [!] by using the Fine Tune +/- values. Your can get quite interesting results by have a Modulator or Carrier oscilator at these lower values.
Also remember the Global Tune value can be adjusted to lower the pitch of the patch.

PS the joysticks are the same tyoe as the ones used in XBOX game controllers, so should be fairly child-proof !

ryk
Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps »

Today was midi test day.

fastlanestranger
Veteran Wiggler

Umcorps wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:05 pm Today was midi test day.

I lack the understanding of the technical side of this, but it sounds freaking cool.
seank
Veteran Wiggler

Post by seank »

fluffymuff
Common Wiggler

Post by fluffymuff »

Thanks for the heads up seank, didn't think it was going to be released as a kit for a while yet... purchased!
fastlanestranger
Veteran Wiggler

I spent a lot of time with this awesome module last night and started to get a grip on it…what a fun, incredible sounding addition. Just beautiful actually. And once you add in a bit of modulation, its sound is rather breathtaking.

I found that putting it in POLY mode made it so much easier to start to grasp things. In that way it limited my options to simply one bank of four oscillators…granted this is something that can be done in the other modes by simply directing the joystick to one quadrant, but the temptation to fiddle with that little interface is too great and I start messing with it. Before I know it I’m just turning knobs and thumbing the stick and not really having any idea about what’s actually happening.

I figure once I understand more about the various ways to inflict change on one bank, then I can start to fiddle with more.

It sounds so fantastic. So rich. And the harmonic filter options do some really beautiful stuff to the sound. I’m fairly new to synthesis theory, and only recently learned about FM. I’ve always loved sine waves above all the others, and the moment it dawned on me that at its most basic and unmodulated, FM is just a bunch of sine waves, the scales fell from my eyes! :)
BLogic12
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BLogic12 »

All sound from ryk vector wave through some delay and reverb

seank
Veteran Wiggler

Post by seank »

Illwiggle
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Illwiggle »

Incredible. Love these demos!
Dont forget to remember not to forget
daphnid
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daphnid »

Yeah wow these demos are so good y'all.

Some of these sounds remind me a lot of FM8, probably my favorite VST synth along with Serum.
Faastwalker
Common Wiggler

Post by Faastwalker »

Seen this one around a bit. Only just checked out some demos today! Looks and sounds fantastic. I’m hooked but thinking I might be a bit overwhelmed by this one. I’d love to see an in depth overview of this Div Kid style. Only thing is if that happens my bank account is almost certainly going to be a fair bit lighter shortly afterwards :hail:
fastlanestranger
Veteran Wiggler

Faastwalker wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:30 pm Seen this one around a bit. Only just checked out some demos today! Looks and sounds fantastic. I’m hooked but thinking I might be a bit overwhelmed by this one. I’d love to see an in depth overview of this Div Kid style. Only thing is if that happens my bank account is almost certainly going to be a fair bit lighter shortly afterwards :hail:
Yeah I’m having to take this one quite slowly myself. The two times I’ve sat down in front of it have overwhelmed me pretty quickly, but the sound is so killer I’m just going to take it easy and learn a tiny bit at a time.
Faastwalker
Common Wiggler

Post by Faastwalker »

It definitely looks like an RTFM type of module, which I'm not usually too keen on. I need the video manual edition! :help:
Illwiggle
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Illwiggle »

Faastwalker wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:30 pm It definitely looks like an RTFM type of module, which I'm not usually too keen on. I need the video manual edition! :help:
Yeah it does seem to be. I just looked thru the manual & its not super extensive though, being about 15pages. It is a digital module afterall, so there are modes & storage & settings that are part of it.... and that stuff requires a manual. Im also not in the mood for a module Ive gotta refer to a manual for all the time, AT ALL. But this one seems like a relatively quick weekend read-thru... & occasion reference. Haha, Im tryna convince myself as well that its no big deal
Dont forget to remember not to forget
OHEXOH
Ultra Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH »

ryk wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:24 am PS the joysticks are the same tyoe as the ones used in XBOX game controllers, so should be fairly child-proof !
Really? I have to agree if feels very fragile and mine when moving out from the ‘A’ side has a tendency to get stuck / hit a point of friction when it won’t move without a firmer push which results in a ‘click’. It seems to then be ok for a while but it has come back. I’ve only had it since today and only got to spend a couple of hours with the module so maybe it just needs breaking in…?
Seance Fiction // https://ohexoh.bandcamp.com
Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler »

Illwiggle wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:15 pm Haha, Im tryna convince myself as well that its no big deal
It really isn't. The layout is pretty simple and once you navigate it a few times you'll start flying around. Granted a couple of menus are not aparent (eg the vector page), but all in all, setting up parameters etc, becomes a breeze if you spend a bit of time with it.

I obviously spent a lot of time with it, but I didn't have to look at the manual after having breaks from it, and the first panel didn't even have the clear markings it does now. YMMV of course, but all I'm saying is I was also worried that it would end up being too menu divy and it isn't.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.
Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps »

Paranormal Patroler wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:06 am but all I'm saying is I was also worried that it would end up being too menu divy and it isn't.
I’d agree.

I was demoing it for a friend a couple of days ago (so had only had it myself for about 4 days). Didn’t need the manual once.

Of all the menu dependent modules I have, this is the easiest by far to get up to speed with.
BLogic12
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BLogic12 »

It feels overwhelming for the first 30 minutes maybe but once you get it down it’s smooth sailing.

It’s definitely not one of those modules you need to reference the manual every other time you use it because there too many unintuitive things to remember.

It think one you initially understand it, you’re good to go.

Obviously it helps if you have a good understanding of 2/3/4 op fm synthesis to start with…

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”