New Vector synthesis module from RYK Modular

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
ryk
Common Wiggler

Re: New Vector synthesis module from RYK Modular

Post by ryk »

joskery wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:58 am Is it just me, or is the output amplitude of the Vector on the low side using MIDI? Tried to get it to be as loud as possible, but still the output is plenty lower than Plaits, for instance.

Probably just missing a setting..
Hi

The output of the Vector Wave can vary widely, depending on
how the OSC banks are set up. [ It's max output is normally 10Vpp ]
The mix output is a sum of the oscillators, so if only
one oscillator is full level, the output could be as low as 1/4 of max output

If you are only using one or two oscillators in a bank, and want
more volume it is advisable to to set the non used ones to Modulators
using the Algorithm buttons.[ Modulators are not included in the Mix calculations ]

Also make sure the joystick, or Vector animation is aligned with an oscillator bank that
has maximum oscillator levels to check the output level issue.

ryk
https://rykmodular.bigcartel.com/products
https://instagram.com/ryk_modular/
joskery
Veteran Wiggler

Post by joskery »

Thanks! I did have a suspicion that I’m just not getting it, what a nice summary of what to look out for.
fastlanestranger
Veteran Wiggler

Post by fastlanestranger »

joskery wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:58 am Is it just me, or is the output amplitude of the Vector on the low side using MIDI? Tried to get it to be as loud as possible, but still the output is plenty lower than Plaits, for instance.

Probably just missing a setting..
Definitely more on the quiet side for me as well...but I'm still in the clueless zone as far as really digging in to all it offers. (Not saying you're clueless...only that I am! :) )
joskery
Veteran Wiggler

Post by joskery »

I think mr. ryk already demonstrated nicely I don't know the half of it :D What a nice oscillator, it's going to take quite a bit of time to really learn it!
Crevice
Common Wiggler

Post by Crevice »

Hi, any update on stock in the US for the module and the expander? You had mentioned end of October, so I figured it'd be soon.
ryk
Common Wiggler

Post by ryk »

Crevice wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:27 pm Hi, any update on stock in the US for the module and the expander? You had mentioned end of October, so I figured it'd be soon.
hi

that date is already slipping, unfortunately ...
it is now looking like november before we can get the modules back out there

appologies for the long wait - we have had to redesign the module to use a different
set of chips, due to the famous semiconductor shortage

ryk
cosmicsoundexplorer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cosmicsoundexplorer »

Absolutely loving the Vectorwave!
I did have one idea that I would love to see implemented if it isn’t already possible, but I would really like to see a randomise feature added for creating a quick preset. Having the ability to trigger randomisation via a gate into a modulation input would be very fun. Have the options on what parameters are randomised would be next level.
Hopefully this idea resonates with ryk!
joskery
Veteran Wiggler

Post by joskery »

^yes, the same thought passed my mind. It would be astounding.

Also an ’init patch’ option would be nice, although that can be worked around with the patch loading menu.
ryk
Common Wiggler

Post by ryk »

cosmicsoundexplorer wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:58 am Absolutely loving the Vectorwave!
I did have one idea that I would love to see implemented if it isn’t already possible, but I would really like to see a randomise feature added for creating a quick preset. Having the ability to trigger randomisation via a gate into a modulation input would be very fun. Have the options on what parameters are randomised would be next level.
Hopefully this idea resonates with ryk!
joskery wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:46 am ^yes, the same thought passed my mind. It would be astounding.

Also an ’init patch’ option would be nice, although that can be worked around with the patch loading menu.
Thanks for the suggestions

Currently there are two randomise options for the oscillators in the Oscillator Bank Menu
RND - Automatically assign random harmonics to the destination bank(s)
CLUST - Automatically assign random formant clusters of harmonics to the destination bank(s)

Randomising by external signal would be cool, we can add that to the list

For initialising there are currently two options
in the Oscillator Bank Menu
INIT - resets the destination bank(s)

Or as you mentioned in the LOAD menu
DEF - Loads a initialised voice, and resets all Mod Banks, ENVs, LFOs etc

ryk
Last edited by ryk on Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Juno60
Common Wiggler

Post by Juno60 »

What happened there?
ryk
Common Wiggler

Post by ryk »

Juno60 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:55 am What happened there?
:lol:

BBCODE didn't like my 's' in square brackets [ code for strikethru ]
now amended with (normal brackets)

ryk
Kingnimrod
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kingnimrod »

Crevice wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:27 pm Hi, any update on stock in the US for the module and the expander? You had mentioned end of October, so I figured it'd be soon.
I was going to suggest checking Schneidersladen but I just looked and they are out of stock now as well. I must have just scooped the last one from there. Keep an eye on wigglehunt.com - there are some other stores abroad that have some if you don't mind the international shipping / short wait.
Vow3ll
Common Wiggler

Post by Vow3ll »

wigglehunt.com is a good source, but it depends on the shop and when it last crawled them, a lot of the time it says in stock for a pre-order.

Reverb (Found Sound) has (5) in stock and ready to ship (ATM) - https://reverb.com/item/62333802-ryk-mo ... ector-wave

Good hunting!
Chasing After Monsters with a Butterfly Net
~ CounterSocial ~ YouTube ~ Instagram
cmdr_data
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cmdr_data »

ryk wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:56 am
seank wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:50 pm are program change and parameter cc's available over midi?
Yes, MIDI CC’s are available as modulation sources
Currently Program Change is not, but it is on the list for future updates
I would also be very happy if the midi program change is implemented. Perfect polyphonic voice for my live act. Cirklon directly via Midi!
Kingnimrod
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kingnimrod »

Just had a short bit of time playing with it but very impressed. It's the main voice here with Starlab helping levitate it.

fastlanestranger
Veteran Wiggler

Kingnimrod wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:28 pm Just had a short bit of time playing with it but very impressed. It's the main voice here with Starlab helping levitate it.

Beautiful stuff. Could listen to this for hours.
Wam_Tones
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Wam_Tones »

I just received my module but it seems to have a bit of a problem. Sometimes a row of LED's in the 2nd LED panel from the right don't light up when they're supposed to which makes it look glitched and hard to read when theres numbers or text or whatever. I tried to update the firmware in the hope it fixes the problem but I couldn't get it into firmware update mode no matter how hard I tried.
ryk
Common Wiggler

Post by ryk »

Wam_Tones wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:48 am I just received my module but it seems to have a bit of a problem. Sometimes a row of LED's in the 2nd LED panel from the right don't light up when they're supposed to which makes it look glitched and hard to read when theres numbers or text or whatever. I tried to update the firmware in the hope it fixes the problem but I couldn't get it into firmware update mode no matter how hard I tried.

Hi

Sorry to hear you have a problem with the module, it sounds as though it is defective.

We recommend you contact the shop you bought it from, and they can arrange a replacement for you.

ryk
Crevice
Common Wiggler

Post by Crevice »

Hi, is it normal for the LEDS circled on this specific page (below) to be more dim than the left side and also have a slight flicker? Other pages of the module fine, literally just noticed it on this specific screen. Pic below
IMG_2334.jpeg
fastlanestranger
Veteran Wiggler

Crevice wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:09 pm Hi, is it normal for the LEDS circled on this specific page (below) to be more dim than the left side and also have a slight flicker? Other pages of the module fine, literally just noticed it on this specific screen. Pic below

IMG_2334.jpeg
Yes...play with making them carriers or modulators and watch how the dimness changes. It's specifically related to that.
Crevice
Common Wiggler

Post by Crevice »

fastlanestranger wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:12 pm
Crevice wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:09 pm Hi, is it normal for the LEDS circled on this specific page (below) to be more dim than the left side and also have a slight flicker? Other pages of the module fine, literally just noticed it on this specific screen. Pic below

IMG_2334.jpeg
Yes...play with making them carriers or modulators and watch how the dimness changes. It's specifically related to that.
Great, thank you.
Wam_Tones
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Wam_Tones »

ryk wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:34 pm
Wam_Tones wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:48 am I just received my module but it seems to have a bit of a problem. Sometimes a row of LED's in the 2nd LED panel from the right don't light up when they're supposed to which makes it look glitched and hard to read when theres numbers or text or whatever. I tried to update the firmware in the hope it fixes the problem but I couldn't get it into firmware update mode no matter how hard I tried.

Hi

Sorry to hear you have a problem with the module, it sounds as though it is defective.

We recommend you contact the shop you bought it from, and they can arrange a replacement for you.

ryk

Damn, I was hoping it was just a bug that could be fixed with a firmware update.
stice
Ultra Wiggler

Post by stice »

I’m rearranging my small ‘travel’ system to make for for this. Is a filter really necessary/useful with this module? It would be useful to save space, and working without a ‘normal’ filter sounds very interesting.
Turn on. Plug in. S l e w d o w n.
Crevice
Common Wiggler

Post by Crevice »

Kingnimrod wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:28 pm Just had a short bit of time playing with it but very impressed. It's the main voice here with Starlab helping levitate it.

Great stuff and nice double needham. Did you install those lights yourself? If so, can you give me the details? I have a needham as well and would love a light solution for it
ryk
Common Wiggler

Post by ryk »

stice wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:41 pm I’m rearranging my small ‘travel’ system to make for for this. Is a filter really necessary/useful with this module? It would be useful to save space, and working without a ‘normal’ filter sounds very interesting.
hi

Short answer:
No

Longer answer:
No.
The Vector Wave uses additive or complex FM synthesis to generate harmonic timbres
To create timbre changes you can increase
or decrease the additive harmonics, or increase decrease the FM modulation, rather than using a filter.

Whereas in subtractive synthesis ( using a filter )
you start with a harmonically rich source ( square/saw wave ) and reduce the harmonic complexity with a filter.

ryk

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”