Announcing: Synthesizers.com Manufacturer Sub-Forum

Please check out the new sub-forum by following the link above. It is nice to have another manufacturer onboard and opening another direct communication line to potential and existing customers

New Vector synthesis module from RYK Modular

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
ryk
Common Wiggler

Re: New Vector synthesis module from RYK Modular

Post by ryk »

Bascule wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:41 am The manual talks about sine, triangle and square as possible base waveforms. Is it possible to create saw waves, or something close to them?

I was thinking of the possibilities of massive super-saws with 16 slightly detuned oscillators -I'm not sure if something like that is possible with this module.
Hi

The oscillators are Sine wave
But with the Wave Warp function, they can be warped to saw and pulse ( not square )

Your idea of 16 detuned saw waves is very easy to achieve, there is a section in our recently uploaded demo video on YouTube at 5min similar to this, first using wave folding, then with the addition of wave warping

ryk
https://rykmodular.bigcartel.com/products
https://instagram.com/ryk_modular/
Bascule
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bascule »

Thank you for the quick answer! I have preordered one at Schneidersladen.
VileCarrion2022
Learning to Wiggle

Post by VileCarrion2022 »

Got my order in! Gonna be sick
everydaycurry
Ultra Wiggler

Post by everydaycurry »

Woohoo, direct order shipped this morning.
Smapti
Common Wiggler

Post by Smapti »

In stock now at Schneidersladen & the RYK website!
AbundantChoice
Common Wiggler

Post by AbundantChoice »

Control shipped my pre-order out earlier today, so it's definitely coming out in multiple locations at once!
Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps »

Mine landed today :party:

Edit. Multitimbral mode

Last edited by Umcorps on Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
fastlanestranger
Veteran Wiggler

Post by fastlanestranger »

Very exciting. Mine is slated to arrive today from Germany. Can’t wait to get it running.
VileCarrion2022
Learning to Wiggle

Post by VileCarrion2022 »

Got mine in. Absolutely incredible
AbundantChoice
Common Wiggler

Post by AbundantChoice »

So early impressions after playing around with it are pretty positive. There's obviously a lot of screens/menu action, but not as much "diving" as I expected as things don't tend to be buried layers deep. In a lot of menus the screen essentially becomes "labels" for the surrounding 8 encoders which works really well. the FM on it is incredibly intuitive. The included presets do a really good job of showcasing the timbral variety of the module; it can do incredibly mean and aggressive stuff but also incredibly lush and pretty stuff as well.
fastlanestranger
Veteran Wiggler

I plugged mine in and played for a bit and was quickly overwhelmed…so now I’m reading the manual to calm down.
The sounds are quite rad and it certainly sounds like nothing else in my little music studio. And yeah…the included presets made me say “wow” several times.
Can’t wait to get a better grip on how to use this beautiful thing.
everydaycurry
Ultra Wiggler

Post by everydaycurry »

Just racked it + expander - easy to get overwhelmed right away (I only looked at the manual to calibrate the expander) but in the "can I then dial it back to a normal sound after making a mess not knowing what I'm doing" test it passed with flying colors.
stice
Ultra Wiggler

Post by stice »

Seriously considering using this in my small travel/couch system. I think it would offer huge sonic range in a pretty small package, and in the small system I could give it the attention I think it needs to really understand it
Turn on. Plug in. S l e w d o w n.
Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps »

First day over and I feel I’ve got a decent overview now except for one thing that I can’t get right.

The one thing I can’t work out yet is how to control the XY vector position via external CV. Meaning a way of overriding/replacing the panel joystick with external CVs.

I get how to trigger a vector recording when in V1 mode and a vector path in V2. That’s easy.

But I haven’t yet managed to do the equivalent of Mod1 in = Xpos Mod2 in = Ypos because the joystick can’t be a modulation destination.

What am I not seeing here? :hmm:
Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler »

fastlanestranger wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:20 pm I plugged mine in and played for a bit and was quickly overwhelmed…
I was overwhelmed at first as well, but it only takes a few rounds to get used to the UI and start flying around. The menus aren't that deep at all!

Umcorps wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:53 am But I haven’t yet managed to do the equivalent of Mod1 in = Xpos Mod2 in = Ypos because the joystick can’t be a modulation destination.

For the joystick to be a modulation destination, you'd have to be able to actually move the joystick using external CV, which doesn't really make sense. What you are asking for is replacing the Joystick as a modulation source to whatever destination it is assigned to by default.

Use VEC as a modulation destination. Instead of triggering the replay, the vector movement can instead be animated through time from a modulation source by selecting any modulation source except Gate/M1T. Gate and M1 are used as triggers for the animation, so you have to use the other inputs for CV-controlled animation.

Hope that gets you close enough to your requested feature. I get that the solution is not controlling both dimensions but a vector of both, but hey, it's there, and the module is called Vector so :lol:
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.
Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps »

Paranormal Patroler wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:48 am

Hope that gets you close enough to your requested feature. I get that the solution is not controlling both dimensions but a vector of both, but hey, it's there, and the module is called Vector so :lol:

Yeah, that’s the problem exactly. I don’t really get what VEC does as a parameter when you aren’t using it to launch a pre recorded vector route. So, for example, with no path recorded, if I centre the joystick, set M1 as source and VEC as destination and apply a voltage to M1 I’m not clear what that might do?
ryk
Common Wiggler

Post by ryk »

Paranormal Patroler wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:48 am
fastlanestranger wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:20 pm I plugged mine in and played for a bit and was quickly overwhelmed…
I was overwhelmed at first as well, but it only takes a few rounds to get used to the UI and start flying around. The menus aren't that deep at all!

Umcorps wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:53 am But I haven’t yet managed to do the equivalent of Mod1 in = Xpos Mod2 in = Ypos because the joystick can’t be a modulation destination.

For the joystick to be a modulation destination, you'd have to be able to actually move the joystick using external CV, which doesn't really make sense. What you are asking for is replacing the Joystick as a modulation source to whatever destination it is assigned to by default.

Use VEC as a modulation destination. Instead of triggering the replay, the vector movement can instead be animated through time from a modulation source by selecting any modulation source except Gate/M1T. Gate and M1 are used as triggers for the animation, so you have to use the other inputs for CV-controlled animation.

Thanks Mr K !

You are quicker than me this morning 😆

The X/Y mod destination question has been raised before, and we could add this to a firmware update . . .
But in reality using two ( 1 dimension ) X and Y voltages for a 2 dimension Timbre control is hard to achieve predictable results.
Although perhaps unpredictable is positive thing

ryk
Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps »

Would it be simpler to add a patch setting offering the option to swap the integrated stick for M3 =X M4 = Y? So just replacing the internal stick with an external one (however that might be derived).

For those of us who sometimes think Radigue is just a little too fast. :lol:
Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler »

Personally, I think it would make more sense to add VECX and VECY as destinations rather than a 1:1 swap. You'd be breaking the paradigm of how MOD works otherwise, plus maybe you want M2 and M3 instead, or you may want to reverse things.

That being said, I never found the current situation lacking, but I see the validity of wanting both dimensions of the vector as available destinations separately.

Umcorps, give the vector movement via CV control a chance though. It is pretty good.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.
auditorycanvas
Wiggling with Experience

Post by auditorycanvas »

Mine arrived today along with the expander. First session ended in getting lost in button presses/screens and frustration. RTFM then came back to it later tonight, and after a few hours in, I'm really starting to love it. 'Stereo' position of each OSC bank is a great feature, being able to move the sound around the field via modulation is a nice touch.

I'm also really liking the XM, WP, FD, and DT controls on the performance page.

It's a keeper :)

+1 on having VEC X and VEC Y as mod destinations.
Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps »

I ordered the expander with the module mainly because I already have an expanded SIG in the rack so 4 channels of stochastic CVs and gates were there ready to be used.

First test, using 3 of them. I think they play nicely together.

dvdmllr
Common Wiggler

Post by dvdmllr »

Umcorps wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:35 am I ordered the expander with the module mainly because I already have an expanded SIG in the rack so 4 channels of stochastic CVs and gates were there ready to be used.

This sounds great! There aren’t many demos out there yet so you putting these out is super helpful.

I am not really in the market for a digital sound source right now and certainly afraid of potential menu diviness and possible lack of immediacy here, but all sounds I have heard coming out of the Vector Wave are great and I am not sure how much longer I can resist a purchase 😉
BLogic12
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BLogic12 »

Umcorps wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:35 am I ordered the expander with the module mainly because I already have an expanded SIG in the rack so 4 channels of stochastic CVs and gates were there ready to be used.

Nice. Mine comes tomorrow and I will be mounting it directly above my sig so they will get used together a lot as well! That and nerdseq via midi for polyphonic sequencing.
ryk
Common Wiggler

Post by ryk »

Nice !!
fastlanestranger
Veteran Wiggler

@umcorps thanks for sharing! This has me excited to try stochastic mode on my OXI with my Vector. Great stuff!

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”