Output module : transformers or not ? Module vs studio DI box ?

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

rafyc
Wiggling with Experience

Output module : transformers or not ? Module vs studio DI box ?

Post by rafyc »

hi,

I use my modular as analog summing to my digital file and other modules.
As is, i can monitor the full analog signal path and record it separately.

I wondering about a good output module because my monitor are directly plugged in it and all the audio of my system is getting through this.

I have a Twin out witch is verry good but i wondering if i could upgrade it.
I saw there is modules with big output transformes like the ADDAC or Vermona and others without like the ACL.

On is more transparent than the other ? Transformer will color the sound ?
I assume Vermona and ADDAC will have more the sound of big analog mixer and others more clean and straight ? sterile ?

I also check the Neve RDNI-s who seems outstanding. The revews are all unanimous. What do you think about DI's box ?

Any thought or experience with that ?

Thanks
Last edited by rafyc on Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
maudibe
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Output module technology : transformers or not ? what about studio DI box ?

Post by maudibe »

I use a Radial DI Box... I went for the stereo / 2 channel all bells and whistles version, as it has all the inputs outputs, phase and ground lift stuff. Its a game changer for quality and adds a certain glue and warmth. I wouldn't want a modular version though... get that stuff away from the case :)
rafyc
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Output module technology : transformers or not ? what about studio DI box ?

Post by rafyc »

Hi, great to hear ! what kind of output module have you tried to compare ?
The Radial seems good but i wondering if +10dbu max input will handle eurorack level (+19dbu)
The Neve seems t go to +20db and quality seems as good maybe better thant the Radial.

What about High end Output module to compare with DI ?

Addac, Hinton Output seems super ! the FET comp could be a great feature. but no XLR and Bantam connexion.
andybizarre
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Output module : transformers or not ? Module vs studio DI box ?

Post by andybizarre »

I got a little obsessed with transformers lately, I needed to sort out these things for myself, so I`ll try to help.

The Vermona TAI-4 sounds absolutely gorgeous, but it is in no way neutral or transparent. As soon as the level lamp flashes, the transformers will colour the sound. I own two TAIs and tested this with sine waves. But as an end-of-chain device it`s awesome - and not as expensive as it seems, because you`re getting four trannies in one module! It`s like an in-rack DI which balances and reduces the modular level to line level.

If you want to go the DI route, I suggest you check out the passive Radial Pro. It`s made for high level instruments and takes modular levels without distortion and adds this nice transformer mojo to the sound, depending on how hard you`re hitting the inputs.

The Radial Jensen series (JDI and JDI duplex) take line inputs very well but not modular level, you need to attenuate before or use the pad switch. (the distortion is really not that enjoyable). Both Radial options sound fantastic.

The non-Euro DIs reduce the signal to mic level, so you`ll need a mic pre, which adds to the sonic palette but can get very expensive. Normally active instruments are paired with passive DIs and vice versa (passive pickups with active DIs).

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”